The Only Running Footman
5 Charles Street
London, W1J 5DFNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Only Running Footman
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.therunningfootmanmayfair.com/
- Phone: 020 7499 2988
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 7.30am - 11pm
Friday 7.30am - 12am
Saturday 9.30am - 12am
Sunday 9.30am - 10.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary British, British, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Eddie Kouadio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from The Only Running Footman
An affordable glamorous destination in the heart of Mayfair serving breakfast, lunches and dinners using only the finest British produce, with a traditional, quaint ground floor pub with real ales, premium lagers and an extensive international wine list. The first floor dining room offers an affordable fine dining experience with attentive service, white linen and British seasonal food. Above that sits a beautiful Private Dining Room which is available for exclusive hire that can seat up to 40 guests or accommodate 60 guests standing. The ultimate in dining experiences is the exclusive private kitchen on the top floor with a top chef to cook for you and your very own host to serve at your party.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Only Running Footman reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since 28 November 2013
business meals (56)fit for foodies (30)sunday lunch (20)group bookings (15)special occasions (15)brunch (13)romance (12)pre/post theatre (11)outstanding value (9)child friendly (6)outdoor eating (4)afternoon tea (3)good vegetarian options (2)Show More
- Great Pie of the Day!MayfairClubDined on 21/11/2014Went by the reviews and it didn't disappoint - good british grub although the European waiter didn't know what 'gravy' was! Service was great though and food and atmosphere great if a little cramped (its London I suppose..)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but nothing excitingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Friendly welcome. Good service and the food was fine but nothing special. Razor clam starter had 4 tiny pieces but saved by the tasty chorozi. Colleage had the same dish and we were playing "spot the razor clam" The group of 6 agreed on 3 stars but that we'd not return.
- Only Running FootmanK311Dined on 5/11/2014Perfect venue for a business lunch, buzzy enough to give atmosphere but not too loud that you couldn't have a normal conversation. Food was faultlessSpecial Features:
- AverageHonestCommentDined on 3/11/2014A burger is always a good benchmark in any eatery. It was average. The burger was ok but disappeared in an oversized bun that just led to most of it being left on the plate as well as everyone else that had a burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Sunday lunchSpanglishDined on 2/11/2014Restaurant was quiet, service very good (polite, attentive without being fussy), food was good, good choice on menu, wine was excellent (Gruner Veltleiner). Been before and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceluvfoodDined on 20/10/2014The restaurant is upstairs and a very different feel to the bustling pub below. Beware if you dine early you are likely to be the only people in the restaurant, it only ever seems to get busy after about 8/8.30, however there is no turn around time on the tables so you are free to linger for as long as you want. There was only one waiter there when we visited however he did an excellent job looking after all the tables on his own. The food is very good, and good value for Mayfair.Special Features:
- Pioneer of Gastronome PubHighTensionDined on 25/9/2014Visitors from outside U.K. must try the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelerDined on 21/9/2014Loved thus restaurant. There is a downstairs which seemed more fun. We were upstairs and it was quieter. Didn't seem to want to check our name or reservations.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 12/9/2014Excellent food, very good service and a lovely atmosphere. Very close to our flat, it was a very nice evening. I had the soup special, broccoli, which was excellent. The lamb pie had a crust that was the best I've had. Noise from the pub downstairs is a negative. Tables are very close together.Special Features:
- Solid!BharatDined on 8/9/2014I've been dining at The Only Running Footman two or three times a year over the last three years or so...should visit more often! Good service, well cooked and presented food, and excellent wine list, in Mayfair, and thus a perfect location for relaxed business lunches without the usual 'Mayfair fuss'!Special Features:
- Enjoyable and tasty lunchbusinessDined on 2/9/2014Very nice food, wine a bit pricey. Great waiting staff.Special Features:
- DisasterTrinityDined on 31/8/2014This is the fourth time we have eaten at here. Last time we had a small hitch in that our sons food was not ready at the same time as ours. We thought we would give it another go. Huge mistake. To start with the bread we were served was more like toast, I could have used it as a nail file (bread costs extra on the menu) My main arrived and my husbands was not ready. By the time his arrived mine was cold. Mine went back and my husband started without me to avoid the same again. Unfortunately the food was under seasoned and tasteless.`Even our ice cream order arrived from the kitchen wrong. Through all this our waiter was very good although presenting us with the bill before we were offered coffee was not a great move!
- Not for families with childrenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 13/8/2014I found this place via Internet search "family friendly" places to eat in Mayfair. Apart of a high chair there was nothing friendly there. Not even kids menu or a place to put a buggy. Besides we have waited for our food for a good 30 min. We were hungry, kids were hungry - not the best scenario. anyway I do not recommend this place. And Its overpriced!
- Great experienceJuliaDined on 11/8/2014Great food, nice atmosphere, amazing service !! Will definitely come back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unas hamburguesas deliciosas.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/7/2014Muy buen ambiente, muy buen trato y muy buena comida. Quizás, algo caro.Special Features:
- The Only Running FootmanAPD72Dined on 1/7/2014Great location and lovely small restaurant with great ambience. Food was very good, especially the scallops with roasted cauliflower puree. Service was ok but not great, but there was the distraction of a large party in the private room. Some language barrier issues over ordering a (from the menu) liqueur coffee (we ended up with an espresso and a shot of whiskey) and they didn't seem happy to remove/replace. Overall good and would go again but the service let it down slightly.Special Features:
- Special holiday dinnerfabdinnerDined on 30/6/2014We ate here twice on our vacation in London. Food was outstanding and atmosphere was upscale yet comfortable; service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceBunny367895Dined on 12/6/2014We had a very nice evening at the restaurant at the first floor. The service was very good, and the food outstanding!Special Features:
- The survice was wonderfulChamp6Dined on 11/6/2014Lovely meal overall, but prices are a bit high for quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Only Running FootmanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014A traditional pub in the heart of Mayfair, but upstairs provides an intriguing contrast with beautifully laid tables, attentive service and excellent food. Many of the restaurants in Mayfair fall into the 'rip-off' and poor value bracket, even though they would like to think that they are high end fine dining! The Only Running Footman is much more of a traditional British experience, and is all the better for it. As a Mayfair based company we will continue to use this pub/restaurant on a continuous basis as the standards and values are consistently high, and you walk out feeling that you have had a great meal in a very friendly and lively environment, rather than feeling much poorer and somewhat underwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliversDJHMOULSOEDined on 28/5/2014This is my favourite restaurant in central London. Downstairs is a bustling pub with great atmosphere , real beers and friendly welcome . The restaurant [upstairs] is perfect for business lunches/dinners or for a meal with friends and family. The food is consistently good; the menu is regularly refreshed and with daily specials there's always something new to try. And its great value. Decent sized portions, well presented and always delicious; from appealing veggie options to decent pies and lovely desserts. The combination of good beers, a sensibly priced wine list and enjoyable dining at affordable prices makes it my first choice. Oh and the wait staff are delightful. Only downside is the inadequate toilet facilities; plan your visit!Special Features:
- Good pub foodJarrydDined on 26/5/2014We sat in the pub area downstairs because the restaurant was closed. We preferred this. Staff were very attentive. We all had steak sandwich which was tasty and good value.
- Fantastic !RLEatingtourVIPDined on 14/5/2014This is a wonderful find. The restaurant is small, intimate and warm. Staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, we were made to feel very welcome. The atmosphere was relaxed but the restaurant runs very efficiently almost without you noticing. The food was absolutely wonderful, every course was superb , so good that we were offering each other tastes of our meals because it was so good you wanted to share the experience. I visited several restaurants during this business trip and this one is head and shoulders above the rest.Special Features:
- Good ValueDatviresDined on 22/4/2014We had an early meal and the ribeye was superb as was the chicken pie. We were upstairs and the only diners so we had the full attantion of the waitress. It was quiet, very well decorated and considering it was the middle of Mayfair, excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/4/2014Just around the corner from the somewhat aggressively sad nighttime scene of Berkeley St. is a local gastropub/restauant that should be much busier than it is.Special Features:
- delicious food great serviceVeeQWDined on 14/4/2014The fish was cooked to perfection and service was very accommodating considering we came with two children who left a bit of a mess.
- Poor poor poor!fulhamfoodieDined on 12/4/2014Was here before Xmas and was great but went for lunch with a friend on Saturday and it was awful. The place was empty and the waitress would only let us sit by the door or next to the toilets, then they had run out of half the wine list and the food was mediocre. Top it all off with zero atmosphere! Will not be back
- ServiceBharatDined on 9/4/2014I've always enjoyed my visits to TORF; must visit more often. The food is always first rate, excelled only, on this occasion, by the superb service!Special Features:
- Good gastro pub foodFoodieDined on 3/4/2014Good service and good food. Definitely will be back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak ordered medium rarePubgrubDined on 30/3/2014Steak ordered medium rare and arrived looking as if it had come straight from the butcher and hadn't see heat at all Spaghetti vongole - one third of the clams unopened as inedible
- perfect!luveditDined on 30/3/2014my family incuding 2 children loved this restaraunt. food was delicious. service outstanding. a memorable eveningSpecial Features:
- I loved it!JeannetteSoestDined on 27/3/2014I felt for the hilarious name. Never heard before of a gastropub, but it was lovely. The food was great, the setting also. It has the advantages of a good restaurant and the cosy atmosphere of a pub. I will return hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance of quality restaurantSimonDined on 26/3/2014First visit to this gastro pub for dinner. It has the ambiance of a quality restaurant, very different from the pub downstairs. Food was good, but not amazing. My chicken kiev was moist and crispy but was lacking in garlic. My friend said their fish stew was very tasty, and the ice creams were excellent. The service was friendly and attentive. Price list was 'reassuringly expensive' - i.e. expensive for a pub restaurant but not completely outrageous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- easy place to meetrichyrichDined on 22/3/2014Always a safe bet when meeting friends who are visiting London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch for two. AmazingNorthernambrosiaDined on 16/3/2014Sunday lunch for two. Amazing rib of beef. Pretty good lamb. Very well prepared and the rest of the courses top notch too. Decent wine list and OK value overall - but it is Mayfair remember. Really friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemTom78Dined on 14/3/2014No one ever imagines that there could be such a lovely restaurant nestled above a bustling gastro pub. Makes the decision of where to meet before supper so much easier! Only a short walk from Green Park and the bars of Mayfair makes for a great starting point for your evening. A small menu but always done well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent mealJimmyDined on 10/3/2014Great service, a warm and friendly atmosphere and very tasty food. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere with average foodLocutusDined on 20/2/2014There is an exciting selection of dishes which can satisfy even those with an appetite for something 'unusual'. The food however is average and not always cooked to specification (steak ordered medium - served well done). The staff are friendly but don't expect them to anticipate your needs or remember what you said five minutes ago. We explained three times that one of our friends was arriving 15 minutes later,and even though we'd ordered aperitifs, two different staff kept asking to take our order. The wine list is good but most of the reds are overpriced. A bottle of Barolo would force most people to get a second mortgage!Special Features:
- Simply outstanding!NobodyDined on 16/2/2014Where pub culture meets haute cuisine. Truly delicious dishes, busy bar downstairs and more official restaurant at the 1st floor very friendly staff, great atmosphere, reasonable (for Mayfair) prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot in MayfairFinedinerVIPDined on 15/2/2014Enjoyable evening. The food is always of high-quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.