The Pelican Café
1377 Argyle Street
Glasgow, G3 8AFNeighbourhood:
ScottishPrice: £25 and under
The Pelican Café
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thepelicancafe.co.uk/
- Phone: 08445730670
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Scottish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Wine
A word from The Pelican Café
Fresh, chilled out and friendly, The Pelican Café is located on Glasgow’s bustling Argyle Street where it attracts a raft of hungry passers by – just one reason to book early. With its relaxed, airy ambience, The Pelican Café is a welcome change from crowded bars and chain restaurants, offering a fresh take on seafood dining. Here you’ll enjoy fabulous ethically sourced food with a special emphasis on creatively prepared fish, oysters and crustaceans, all ethically sourced and locally caught. This ethical approach is indeed found throughout The Pelican’s menu where Scottish ingredients are used in unusual and exciting ways to create nonetheless simplistic, flavourful dishes – including vegan and vegetarian options - at exceptionally reasonable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Pelican Café reviews from OpenTable diners
- Too crouded with tables, tablesAndrewDined on 27/10/2012Too crouded with tables, tables too close to each other, under staff, long waiting time for coffee, the plate too share was not very abundant.Special Features:
- Food good, service needs to be workcalvinbearDined on 17/10/2012No record of booking, toddler's food brought 10 mins after other child's, staff left to go to shop to buy ingredients. Not the greatest service. Food was pretty good when it came.Special Features:
- Poor serviceBigTDined on 6/10/2012No Bacardi, no Canadian club, no ginger ale, poor selection of bottled beer. Table not ready, when we arrived. Food was plentiful, but not great quality.
- Hidden GemHowieDined on 27/9/2012This is our 2nd visit to the pelican & it will not be our last. The food was lovely and the service very good. Not as busy as our last visit but still a good break between courses. Not rushed like some places that are not busy. Cannot wait till we go back. I would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentSpoonyDined on 9/9/2012Unfortunately, we had to cancel a previous booking some months ago, but really looked forward to eventually getting there for a meal with my wife and daughter as my wife was returning from a six day trip to London. Firstly, there was no Guinness although it was advertised - in fact, there was no draught beer although the taps were on the counter, then we were told there was no mussels, no seafood platter, no veal, no popeseye steak or no rib-eye steak - ended up with over priced pub grub - a very disappointing first and last experience.
- good food , friendly service.bigalDined on 8/9/2012good food , friendly service. Pre-theatre menu is well priced. Was very busy when we were there and service was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Quality dog friendlyDoggiedinerDined on 11/8/2012The Pelican cafe is a warm relaxed restaurant where dog owners can go for a meal and take the dog with you. The staff are friendly and efficient and the food is amazing. The portion sizes are great and the menu choices cater for everyone. With all the food being locally and ethically sourced you know your eating quality produce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, knowledgable,starnDined on 28/7/2012Fantastic food, knowledgable, friendly staff; The Pelican Cafe never fails to deliver.Special Features:
- Pleased as evermelikecookieDined on 28/7/2012Been to the Pelical Cafe quite a few times now, the food is always absolutely great, the service very friendly and knowledgable about wines (if that's your thing). Particularly the steaks are amazing; the cuts always seem to avoid having any stringy marbling if any and they've cook them exactly as we asked each time, better than any of the good speciality steak-houses we've tried in Glasgow. There's really nothing bad to say about this place - it's in the west-end part of Glasgow so there are lots of pubs en-route for a pre-dinner drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal with lovely serviceMrsmartinDined on 10/4/2012A great meal with lovely service and massive portions. Main menu as well as the set lunch looked great. Will definitely go back for dinner!
- The Pelican Cafe on ArgyleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2012The Pelican Cafe on Argyle street (glasgow) is located opposite the impressive Kelvingrove museum. I enjoyed a beautiful meal with a friend - we couldn't fault the food.
- Food was lovely, service wasDTdtDined on 27/2/2012Food was lovely, service was ok but sometimes had to look for waitress and it wasnt very busy, wouldnt put us off from going back though
- We wanted a pleasant mealdamedinerDined on 11/2/2012We wanted a pleasant meal before going to an event in Kelvingrove Museum and the Pelican Cafe provided just that. It is very conveniently placed and the service was good.
- Pelican Cafe - Glasgow: SundaykelvincDined on 5/2/2012Pelican Cafe - Glasgow: Sunday lunchtime - Quiet when we arrived and became very busy. The kitchen failed to cope - 2 hours for meagre burgers and pudding. The waiter said the chef was off that day and the boss was in the kitchen. Disappointing all round.
- excellent great food,pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 30/1/2012excellent great food,pleasant staff and nice surounds.went in for lunch menu gorgeous
- If you want a nice peacefulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 27/1/2012If you want a nice peaceful meal don't go here. I made a mistake - it was heavingly busy (7.00pm on a Friday night) therefore noise levels high, although overall decor and ambience nice - except light levels too low to read my guidebooks! But the kitchen couldn't keep pace, an hour and a half for only 2 courses for one solitary customer is just too slow. Food was pretty good when it came although my portion of smoked salmon was very small, main veggie course under-seasoned but otherwise ok
- Excellent food. BrilliantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 31/12/2011Excellent food. Brilliant ambiance. The staff were very accomodating and really attentive without being overbearing. Would recommend it to all and will certainly be going back. Oh, and the wine list is cracking!
- Excellent food and wine list,benjaminDined on 21/12/2011Excellent food and wine list, attentive service and good value for money (even better at lunchtime). Only downside was rather too loud music.
- Very good. Lovely restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 21/12/2011Very good. Lovely restaurant, great staff and good food.
- Went there for my pre-20thOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 21/12/2011Went there for my pre-20th birthday meal with some friends, Had a warm welcome and great service, our waiter was great as he dealt with a couple of my friend's questions, I had the Oysters which were awesome and a good price, 3 of my friends had the oriental salmon, 2 from the xmas menu and one the regular menu, other friends had the lamb and a pope-eye steak which both looked fantastic. I had the fish and chips and it was very good .When the bill came the total was very good for 6 people!
- Food was superb, seating wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 16/12/2011Food was superb, seating was dissapointing for large booking, they split 15 of us up between 3 booths.
- My fourth visit and it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2011My fourth visit and it was as god as the first. the Pelican Cafe does have the 'yummy' factor for me, so no doubt I'll be back again. Can't say any more than that. Look forward to the next time.
- very nice and bubbly atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/11/2011very nice and bubbly atmosphere, excellent food and an attentive service team, highly recommended!!
- A pleasant experience butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 23/11/2011A pleasant experience but not necessarily one that I would recommend strongly to others. The food is reasonably priced (neither of our mains were much more than £10-15) and the waitresses were very pleasant, but the food itself, left a bit to be desired. I ordered the fish and chips and found it not to be cooked quite well enough, and the chips likewise. Similarly my friend's salmon was less cooked than would be expected. A lovely location and good character in the place tho.
- Food standards were down this-time.RoddyDined on 3/11/2011Food standards were down this-time. The quality of the fish for the starters was not high. My venison was beautiful but the rest of the dish was not so good. We were well looked after and we will be back.
- First visit on a recommendationMartyboyDined on 24/9/2011First visit on a recommendation from a friend. Just a stones throw from Kelvingrove Museum and Glasgow Uni ( and having cafe in the name) I had envisaged a greasy spoon for students and couldn't have been more wrong. Food and service excellent and large portions - we'll be back for more.
- The Pelican Cafe in GlasgowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2011The Pelican Cafe in Glasgow was a real find. It was recomended by a waitress in another Glasgow restaurant on our last visit and we were very glad to have taken her advice. It was busy, always a good sign, but sevice was quick, friendly and knowledgable. The food was very good though helpings were on the large side, I don't often leave anything but I had to here which was a shame. All in all a good night out and next time in Glasgow we'll be back though maybe we'll skip the starter...
- The Pelican Cafe Glasgow hasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2011The Pelican Cafe Glasgow has a lively welcoming ambience with attentive, friendly staff. Quality of food is good with the ability to mix and match starters into mains. Menu is interesting but could posibly be a bit more inspired or unusual approach. My carpaccio stater was good but chicken main was a bit bland. In all I would recommend as an eating experience.
- We hadn't tried The PelicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 30/8/2011We hadn't tried The Pelican Cafe, Glasgow before but were pleased with the service & food, one of us had asked for their steak to be well done & when it came it was quite rare, the staff were very helpful & the chef cooked another one to perfection All in all we were happy with our food & drinks
- Good food, deliciously freshOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2011Good food, deliciously fresh ingredients, definitely recommended. Will be back!
- Pelican Cafe , Glasgow FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 23/7/2011Pelican Cafe , Glasgow Food was tasty but very slow service. Did not have the main course 1 1/2 hours after ordering!! Ladies toilets - Only one out of three of the toilets were working. Overall good meal but service and toilets disappointing!
- Went to the Pelican Cafe lastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 17/7/2011Went to the Pelican Cafe last night was dinner. Ordered from the specials menu, food was lovely however the service was really slow even thought they weren't busy. Would probably go back as long as I didn't have to be anywhere else for the rest of the night!
- I was here once before andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 16/7/2011I was here once before and the 'surf n turf' meal was very good [although disappointed with only 3 small delicious scallops]. Came back and all 5 of us enjoyed our starters and main meal as well as the recommended white wine. The service was friendly and efficient. Good atmosphere and we enjoyed our night out. Will come back again for sure.
- First impression of the PelicanGingermopDined on 29/6/2011First impression of the Pelican Cafe in Glasgow was that it was VERY busy - always a good thing. Scallops on the specials were sublime and delicious. Wine list was excellent. Staff attentive and friendly. Saw everyone else eating steak, so ordered it too - but it was nothing to write home about, much to my disappointment! Thinnest sirloin cut I've ever eaten, and not cooked even remotely rare as requested. I'd still recommend Pelican Cafe, but it may be best to go against the flow of steak...
- My first visit to the PelicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 17/6/2011My first visit to the Pelican Cafe with more than two people, and all six of us who were there had a very good meal. The portions are very large, but all very well cooked. Quite a large menu, and for what it is, it does it very well. Well priced food and again a very well priced beer and wine list. Shame about the toilets but am sure that is something that will be worked on with time, and getting the food right with good service is obviously the first priority. Good value and I would recommend.
- Really tasty food at The PelicanPedroDined on 8/6/2011Really tasty food at The Pelican Cafe! However bit slow on the service side, but was busy with big groups.
- Pelican Cafe, Glasgow. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 27/5/2011Pelican Cafe, Glasgow. Very friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere and good food. Prices were reasonable too- will definitely be going back.
- good atmosphere, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 20/5/2011good atmosphere, great service, 3 course meal for around £25
- Pelican Cafe- Took some friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/5/2011Pelican Cafe- Took some friends in for dinner and it was good, service was friendly and food was okay. Wine was fantastic with a great list. Although i feel the Pelican Cafe could do a little bit more with what they have. With another member of staff on they could provide a more attentive service and they wouldnt seem so rushed . But overall the staff were lovely, myself and my guests left happy, thanks!
- Although we arrived slightlyStuartDined on 7/5/2011Although we arrived slightly early for our booking we were seated straight away. The staff were friendly and chatty, and we didn't have to wait long to have our order taken. I opted for the mixed grill and my partner for the fish and chips. Both were excellent, good size portions and reasonably priced. Most the produce seems to be Scottish sourced too - describe the menu as 'gastro pub' style. Good selection of wines available too. Will return next time we are in the area.