The Plough at Bolnhurst
Bolnhurst, MK44 2EXNeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £26 to £40
The Plough at Bolnhurst
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bolnhurst.com/
- Phone: 01234376274
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 02:00PM,
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 06:30PM - 09:30PM.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Martin Lee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Intimate Private Dining area from 8 - 38 we can also offer our garden for a marquee event up to 120.
- Private Party Contact: Michael or Jayne 01234376274
A word from The Plough at Bolnhurst
The true joy of The Plough at Bolnhurst is the perfect trinity of atmosphere, service & sumptuous food. This beautifully renovated building traces its roots back to Tudor times hosts a warm, inviting atmosphere and in front of house, Michael and Jayne with their team provide an efficient and friendly service. The Plough’s kitchen is open to view and this exceptional pub is consumed by the aromas of fine cooking. Inside the kitchen, head chef Martin is passionate about serving sophisticated food, sourced direct from farms and estates. The Plough’s menu delivers exciting English food with a strong Italian and French influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Plough at Bolnhurst - Best restaurants in Bedford ›
The Plough at Bolnhurst reviews from OpenTable diners
240 reviews since 24 May 2014
special occasions (184)fit for foodies (149)romance (96)sunday lunch (79)business meals (65)outdoor eating (59)group bookings (37)outstanding value (35)good vegetarian options (33)brunch (20)child friendly (17)disabled access (11)afternoon tea (6)Show More
- Local treasure chest truly found...ROUGE141Dined on 18/9/2014We had dinner at The Plough during the week. Welcomed straight away by staff and assume the Manageress. Our first visit here and will definitely not be the last. Made a request on Opentable that my husband is a lover of "pigeon" and so glad that the restaurant actually do read and remember requests from customers! From start to finish the meal was superb and cannot fault the standard of the cuisine nor the service that was given throughout our visit there. On leaving our actual comments to the staff and Manageress was that we would have to continue to return for meals in order that we could work through the menu!! Hope to see you again and hope that this review is passed on to encourage to visit you... Thank You for a lovely eveningSpecial Features:
- Top ClassShanksDined on 14/9/2014We always know when we go to the Plough we get excellent food and excellent service in lovely surroundings! Our last visit on Sunday was no exception! Consistently very good every time we go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great celebration dining experienceDSLJDined on 13/9/2014Excellent service, nicely relaxed atmosphere with no rush, great ambience and excellent food. A thoroughly enjoyable celebration dinner.Special Features:
- Can't fault itRussDan02Dined on 12/9/2014Went for a meal for husbands birthday. Not the first time we've been, but I have to say every time we have been to the plough our meal has been delicious! The staff a friendly - all knowledgeable about the menu. The ambience is perfect. I had lemon sole which was beautiful and my husband had steak, which he has every time we go as it is so good. Would definitely recommend - but do book early! 😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealLuvfoodDined on 12/9/2014The meal was pricey and disappointing. Limited choice for vegetarians who don't eat fish.
- MunchkinDined on 4/9/2014We have tried various other recommended restaurants in the area for special occasions and been disappointed and now look no further than the Plough when we want to go somewhere special. Although not cheap it is good value as the food is always of a very high standard and the well trained staff and relaxed atmosphere make for an extra special dining experience. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed a superb lunch at The Plough. The food is interesting and delicious - whilst totally accessible. The only challenge is choosing what to eat. The ipad 'chalk board' is a great touch. Well done!Special Features:
- J PetersonPlouDined on 2/9/2014Have been to The Plough many times now, usually on a Sunday and always had a delicious meal. Brought along another friend in the week and enjoyed the 3 course set menu which was equally delicious and excellent value for money. There is nothing Negative I can say as the friendliness and service are always first class as well.Special Features:
- StandardsJaguarDined on 29/8/2014The high standard of food and service never wains.Special Features:
- GemsopDined on 26/8/2014My wife and I had a very enjoyable lunch at this restaurant. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfrockedDined on 20/8/2014lunched there very recently and arrived late due to road works locally and appalling diversion signs by the local authority and contractors. The staff were very welcoming and understanding. We chose dishes from their lunchtime blackboard menu, excellent food and outstanding value. We have dined here previously and chosen from the a la carte menu and have never been disappointed. We always regard it as a treat to come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandning evening meallocaldinerDined on 19/8/2014It's rare to find somewhere that simply gets everything right, but thePlough is one such place. A non-fussy menu, great food, really well cooked good portion sizes without being overwhelming and great service. What more could you want? It's not cheap but a great place to go for that special meal.Special Features:
- Lovely food and very good servicedebswayDined on 14/8/2014I booked an evening meal for my Mother's birthday. She is coeliac so can sometimes find restaurants somewhat limited. I had warned them when booking. Most of the meals she could eat and there was special gluten free bread which was very tasty - so often it is not. We had a lovely meal and the ambience and service were very good. Mum was even presented with a special pudding with Happy Birthday and candle which was a nice touch. The prices were reasonable considering the quality of the food and would heartliy recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 13/8/2014I have been before and said the same thing... Really nice place, always good food but vastly over priced vegetarian option. Please knock £5 off the cost- it's such a ridiculous mark up and really taints the place for me - as a vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and pleasant servicenickpalDined on 10/8/2014We had a family lunch here this weekend to celebrate my mother's 77th birthday and were very pleased with it. The menu was fairly small, which is always a good sign to my mind, but with a good choice of options for all tastes. Three of the family chose the roast beef which came nicely pink and was well received. I had monkfish with slow roasted fennel and courgette and chilli, which was delicious. The puddings also went down very well. It was very busy, so the staff were rushing around a lot. Even so, they were attentive, prompt and pleasant. We had actually booked the table for the previous Sunday and then had to postpone for a week at short notice. The person dealing with this was very understanding. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- NewbieDined on 8/8/2014Lovely setting, Food was very good, Hot and timely. The service was faultless, polite, professional, and didn't keep you waiting even though it turned busy later on. Only downside (and I know this is personal) is the location, as a bit to far out of Bedford to get a taxi, which meant I couldn't have a drink. This was our first time and will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Classic Country Pub with great foodWalkinggrannyDined on 7/8/2014We had lunch in the garden with friends on Thursday and it was perfect! The sun shone, the Pimms was delicious, the dog was made welcome and the lunch was well cooked with a good choice. Everything was so imaginative and tasty and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014We had an excellent evening at the Plough, the crab and squid starters were fresh and delicious and the cote de boeuf was cooked perfectly with oodles of flavour. Thank you for a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect!Starfish10Dined on 1/8/2014We have been here several times before and always use it as our 'special' place to dine! This time sadly was less special! As a party we felt very rushed - pushed to order and then the courses came quickly and without break! We had at least 6 different waiting staff and didn't feel we built up a relationship with any of them. There was a trainee waiter that almost charged us £160.00 more than the bill and laughed it off like it was an easy mistake! The food was outstanding. The flavours brilliant and the menu varied and interesting although I question the presentation of the steak. Overall slightly disappointed that I have lost a fail safe in terms of a great meal out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Plough Bolnhurstwilfd11Dined on 29/7/2014Cannot think of a better place to eat in Bedfordshire. Excellent food, excellent & comprehensive wine list (plus some super beers), attentive service & rural surroundings. Visited twice in Jan. and July 2014, once in party of ten and then two people. Highly recommended. Steep prices but you pay for what you get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keith HHarryDined on 27/7/2014Took my wife there on Sunday we both said how nice the Plough was for our lst visit,we will go in the week next time,only a small down side was that was not many vegetarian dishes and a lot of fish dishes that suited meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 26/7/2014Very good food with friendly service in a rural idyll. Wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Huge disappointment and let downlily150812Dined on 25/7/2014I have chosen this restaurant after carefully reading many reviews as it was my husband's birthday. I have especially contacted them beforehand as I wanted to arrange a small candle on his desert at the end of our meal. I was assured that it wouldn't be a problem and they would be delighted to do it. Upon our arrival, there wasn't even anyone to assist us - we have had to go to the bar to advise that we have got a table reservation. I was super excited for this small gesture at the end of our celebration meal but was hugely disappointed when the deserts arrived and it did not have a candle as promised. If I knew beforehand, I would have prepared something myself but I couldn't even rectify it after the desert arrived. Such a let-down...
- Celebration LunchRiseleyDinerDined on 23/7/2014On the 1st anniversary of moving to the area we celebrated with lunch at our favourite restaurant. Once again we were delighted with excellent food, friendly and attentive service and the bonus of eating outside in the lovely, excellently maintained garden at The Plough. Our main courses, baked cod and duck leg from the lunch time specials menu were delicious and as ever we were spoilt for choice and unable to resist having all three courses.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday meal.ASB1Dined on 23/7/2014Table with a lovely view, near the patio area. Great food selection and lovely staff.Special Features:
- Nothing too much troublecatwomanDined on 17/7/2014We were a group of 5, which included 1 vegetarian and 1 gluten free, this was not a problem. Gluten free bread was provided for our gluten free lady and from then all gluten free options on the menu were pointed out to her so that she knew which meals were suitable for her without having to ask. Even her coffee arrived with a chocolate truffle rather than a cookie without any intervention from us. It is the level of service I have come to expect from this restaurant and their staff.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureWoodpeckerDined on 16/7/2014The Plough at Bolnhurst is truly a pleasure to visit. It doesn't matter if you're popping in for a lunch, a quick drink or a leisurely meal. The service and the food is always a joySpecial Features:
- Superb food and excellent serviceSHallerDined on 15/7/2014We have, once again, been impressed by the standard of food and the quality of service at The Plough. Well done! Keep it up.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Friendly atmosphere, good food, good service, ideal for most occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sharnDined on 5/7/2014Whilst we enjoyed the food, we found the whole experience rather frenetic - admittedly we should have asked to be moved from the noisy table next to the service station and toilet but we also found that the service was disjointed with too many people involved in serving us. And were very disappointed to be served cold red wine . For a restaurant with a high reputation, this was inexcusable. We were looking forward to having a leisurely evening dinner but we felt very rushed..
- Excellent lunchHarribDined on 4/7/2014Our table was in the lovely wood-beamed conservatory and, this time, we chose from the fixed price blackboard menu. We both had the Fowey Mussels starter which was beautifully cooked and seasoned. I had the Aberdeenshire Rib Flank which was slow-cooked to perfection. My wife had Lambs liver which she throughly enjoyed. She was too full for desert but I had the Chocolate Marquis with orange confit and my only complaint was that I could have eaten more of it! All this plus drinks and coffee came to just over £52. Excellent value for a superb meal. We eat here regularly and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Another delicious lunchPennyChews8Dined on 4/7/2014We chose from the 'specials board', 2 courses for £16.00. This is excellent value and the dishes were superb. I had broad bean risotto and my friend had the cod with spinach - we finished every scrap. Puddings were lovely too. Very highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8foodGr8foodDined on 3/7/2014Food was excellent and they advise on what was gluten free and provided gluten free breadSpecial Features:
- lunchoccasionalluncherDined on 2/7/2014an interesting foodie menu , good atmosphere , and attentive service, fairly pricy at £100 ( including tip) for 2Special Features:
- delicious lunchrosiemumDined on 1/7/2014An ideal place to linger over a birthday lunch. The 3 of us were unanimous that the food was excellent in choices, taste & presentation, extensive wine list with good descriptions, v. friendly service. Not a place to go to if in a hurry, all the food is freshly cooked - tasty fresh cooked bread to dip in good olive oil a nice welcome touch. The staff work well as a team, they clearly enjoy their jobs.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/6/2014Our meal,service and ambience were wonderful as usual. thank you. Our NZ visitors were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food at The PloughAnnaJDined on 28/6/2014The restaurant were so helpful. I mentioned when I booked that I only eat chicken, and whilst it was not on the menu, they sourced a beautiful chicken dish for me. My partner had scallops for starter and lobster for his main - all of the food was delicious and beautifully presented. Service was excellent - the staff are always on hand and there were no long delays between dishes. My only gripe is that you have to order sides to go with the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 21/6/2014We were really looking forward to this as a special night out due to the kids being away. Although the service was friendly, everything felt really rushed. The whole meal was done within 50 mins! The food was fine, but the overall experience doesn't come close to the likes of The Black Horse at Ireland... For around the same money.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & Great Servicemcdyers1Dined on 21/6/2014Went to The Plough with 5 friends, to celebrate 2 birthday's, the service was excellent from the moment we arrived, although it was very busy we were not kept waiting at all - all the staff were very attentive, the food was excellent, 3 of the party had steak which they really enjoyed, I had Lobster which was really good especially the Lobster Butter, having only been before for Sunday Lunch (which is always good) we could not fault the Saturday evening menu. All in all a good time was had by all - Thanks to all the staff at The Plough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- swerveDined on 21/6/2014The overall rating says it all. High standards have been maintained from the day it opened under current management.Special Features: