The Plough at Bolnhurst
Bolnhurst, MK44 2EXNeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £26 to £40
The Plough at Bolnhurst
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bolnhurst.com/
- Phone: 01234376274
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 02:00PM,
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 06:30PM - 09:30PM.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Martin Lee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Intimate Private Dining area from 8 - 38 we can also offer our garden for a marquee event up to 120.
- Private Party Contact: Michael or Jayne 01234376274
A word from The Plough at Bolnhurst
The true joy of The Plough at Bolnhurst is the perfect trinity of atmosphere, service & sumptuous food. This beautifully renovated building traces its roots back to Tudor times hosts a warm, inviting atmosphere and in front of house, Michael and Jayne with their team provide an efficient and friendly service. The Plough’s kitchen is open to view and this exceptional pub is consumed by the aromas of fine cooking. Inside the kitchen, head chef Martin is passionate about serving sophisticated food, sourced direct from farms and estates. The Plough’s menu delivers exciting English food with a strong Italian and French influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Plough at Bolnhurst - Best restaurants in Bedford ›
The Plough at Bolnhurst reviews from OpenTable diners
258 reviews since 1 November 2013
special occasions (197)fit for foodies (162)romance (99)sunday lunch (89)outdoor eating (70)business meals (68)group bookings (39)outstanding value (38)good vegetarian options (32)brunch (21)child friendly (17)disabled access (9)afternoon tea (6)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- Good food, a bit priceywoosDined on 29/10/2014We have been to the Plough a number of times and the food, service and ambience have always been very good. The dinner menu is good but can be a little pricey but it is probably worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly high standardsbrigstockfoodiesDined on 26/10/2014We have eaten here several times now and are impressed that the high standards seem to be maintained with such ease. It looks natural - easy even - but I am sure is due to good training of the staff, well planned organisation and the finest ingredients prepared by skilful chefs. Long may it continue. Congratulations to the management and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/10/2014The lamb was magnificant...........................................................Special Features:
- Great as alwaysNellieDined on 24/10/2014We have been a number of times and always find service outstanding . Friendly efficient staff, lovely menu, lots of good seasonal choice, variety, well presented and beautifully cooked food. Alwyas a favourite. Great teamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/10/2014This is my absolute favourite restaurant for a special occasion or treat. The food is divine and the service is impeccable. The staff are so friendly and treat you like long lost friends. I wish I could afford to eat there more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Team mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/10/2014'My husband and I'..... frequently visit and recommend The Plough and have never had anyone speak negatively. This week it was my turn to be treated to a team lunch/kicking out meal as I am moving teams. The meal, service and ambience as always, were lovely. One of our team had never visited before and has said that he would definitely be bringing his wife back!Special Features:
- Another good meal at The PloughGourmandDined on 18/10/2014We eat regularly at the Plough and this was another good meal - 2 beautifully cooked steaks -, well served in a comfortable and welcoming environment. Our only criticism would be that the menu seemed to lack flair. Usually we are torn between choices, but this time it seemed a bit "ordinary"; perhaps, we've been there too often! That said, it was all good food and an enjoyable evening's dining.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentWhenchildfreeDined on 18/10/2014Ingredients, how the food is cooked, presented and served are all execellent. We've never had a bad or even under average experience in all the years we've been coming here. The fact that it is consistently brilliant is what makes this place stand out from the crowd. The variety of the menu, transparency claims, local and seasonal produce and soft drink offerings also appeal to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous mealNewnannieDined on 18/10/2014Once again The Plough did not disappoint , the staff are welcoming , the basket of reading specs you can use is a thoughtful touch , an " interesting soft drinks" menu is a bonus for non drinkers . The food was just wonderful , 3 members of our party really enjoyed the loin of lamb . The Mushroom ravioli was delicate but full of flavour , they kindly served it without hazelnuts for 2 of us on the table . Would highly recommend The PloughSpecial Features:
- Real Treat5StarDinnerDined on 16/10/2014Couldn't fault our lovely meal here and the staff were some of the best I've experienced, thank you and well done all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KirbstoneDined on 16/10/2014This is the best Pub-Resturant in Bedfordshire and around.Special Features:
- FantasticAmerinUKDined on 14/10/2014I was full and enjoyed every drop! It was a very lovely evening, I am now an Apple Cinnamon Bellini fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best in the areagrahamthefezDined on 11/10/2014A consistent level of enthusiasm delivers excellent all round success. Strongly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special lunch at the Ploughjennie3Dined on 7/10/2014Have heard good reports over recent years about this Restaurant and have passed it many times. Wanted to go somewhere special before daughter emigrated. Very nice grounds and plenty of parking.. The welcome was great and a good selection of wine and beers available to start. Some really different choices of food to suit all palates. Outstanding service with genuine attention to detail throughout the meal. Prodigious selection of wines carefully described. They cook with a "Josper" oven (Google it) which imparts fantastic flavours to grilled meat. Not over the top on cost............ we shall returnSpecial Features:
- A good meal.JC64Dined on 30/9/2014Had an excellent meal, though a little expensive. Didn't particularly like how close we were sat with the next table to us, we felt like our conversation was being overheard as well as feeling we were intruding on theirs.Special Features:
- OutstandingWillGAmbroDined on 28/9/2014We have dined at the Plough on several occasions and whilst never disappointed our lunch on the 28th September was exceptional. A destination restaurant well worth the drive through the winding Bedfordshire B roads to reach.Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceDele1507Dined on 27/9/2014Booked for a birthday celebration and was not disappointed. All 6 of us left raving about the food. The service was outstanding and the staff accommodating. All in all we had a lovely evening and would definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchNursesuzyDined on 27/9/2014I have visited the plough before but my cousin hadn't and as we are both keen foodies I was sure she would enjoy the experience. We chose from the board to keep the price down. I chose not to have a starter but my cousin enjoyed the soup, we both had hake which despite a little hiccup for my cousin was delicious and for me my meal was completed by a fabulous pannacotta. We both enjoyed a glass of fizz which we both savoured and special mention must be made to their complimentary olive oil and fresh bread enhanced by the balsamic. Coffee was enjoyed in the very comfortable chairs in the bar area. Service was very attentive throughout and added to the dining experience. We will no doubt book again. The ability to secure a table online a bonusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service and foodtedgarDined on 27/9/2014Charming old world gastro pub with garden in north beds. Super food and excellent service. Pleasant atmosphere, not pretentious as some 'gastro' pubs. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner - Friday 26th SeptOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 26/9/2014We had a fantastic meal at the Plough on Friday - the food was wonderful and the service was probably the best I have experienced anywhere.Special Features:
- First visit, will be returning!Magsy2015Dined on 25/9/2014Very impressed by the whole dining experience. Warm and cosy atmosphere, staff excellent, the scallops to start with were just so soft and the sauce most delicious, The belly of pork, moist and cooked to perfection , as were the medallions. good selection of side dishes.The portions were just the right size we were able to manage a dessert. The wine list was very extensive and it was excellent to see that there were dessert and cheese wines by the glass should one wish. Very attractive venue indeed, looked as though there was an attractive outdoor eating area for summer months. Heartily recommend .Special Features:
- A little noisy when full of eaters.Brass100Dined on 25/9/2014We sat just next to the conservatory and the ambient noise was so loud that we had to raise our voices to hear each other. The hard furnishing causes noise to echo around making it difficult to hear each others conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for DinnerPandJLJDined on 23/9/2014Went on a recommendation from a friend. It was our wedding anniversary so called in for dinner and not disappointed. Really high quality food prepared excellently. Couldn't fault it at all and the owner Chris was most sociable and helpful. Is now on our regularly dining list.Special Features:
- A great eveningplymtimDined on 23/9/2014Took my brother and wife(over from Australia) for a farewell dinner. They enjoyed the place, the staff and above all the food. Beautifully presented sensible portions of tasteful food. The friendliness of the young waiting staff and the owner made the evening a superb experience-the grouse and pigeon were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal for a special occassionSandlDined on 21/9/2014I was looking for somewhere special to take my wife for our wedding anniversary and saw the reviews of the Plough on line and decided to try it. We were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived the staff were attentive and yet unobtrusive - the seating in the restaurant is comfortable and the tables spaced sufficiently to be intimate. We were given complimentary home-made bread with oil and a jug of iced water - a nice touch. The Sunday lunch menu looked good so we had that and the food was excellent - hot and such delicious flavours. The Plough is a great place to have a relaxed and special meal and we will be back.Special Features:
- Special anniversary dinnerpipsDined on 20/9/2014Booked online for wedding anniversary. I requested a bottle of champagne to be on ice on arrival. All of this was done and we had a really lovely evening. Great food and great service. Food very good vfmSpecial Features:
- Very nice restaurantLolocandiDined on 20/9/2014Quite remote but a lovely place once you arrive. Portions aren't massive esp for the high price tag. Beautiful presentation (of food and tables), attentive, smart staff and a well thought out menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local treasure chest truly found...ROUGE141Dined on 18/9/2014We had dinner at The Plough during the week. Welcomed straight away by staff and assume the Manageress. Our first visit here and will definitely not be the last. Made a request on Opentable that my husband is a lover of "pigeon" and so glad that the restaurant actually do read and remember requests from customers! From start to finish the meal was superb and cannot fault the standard of the cuisine nor the service that was given throughout our visit there. On leaving our actual comments to the staff and Manageress was that we would have to continue to return for meals in order that we could work through the menu!! Hope to see you again and hope that this review is passed on to encourage to visit you... Thank You for a lovely eveningSpecial Features:
- Top ClassShanksDined on 14/9/2014We always know when we go to the Plough we get excellent food and excellent service in lovely surroundings! Our last visit on Sunday was no exception! Consistently very good every time we go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great celebration dining experienceDSLJDined on 13/9/2014Excellent service, nicely relaxed atmosphere with no rush, great ambience and excellent food. A thoroughly enjoyable celebration dinner.Special Features:
- Can't fault itRussDan02Dined on 12/9/2014Went for a meal for husbands birthday. Not the first time we've been, but I have to say every time we have been to the plough our meal has been delicious! The staff a friendly - all knowledgeable about the menu. The ambience is perfect. I had lemon sole which was beautiful and my husband had steak, which he has every time we go as it is so good. Would definitely recommend - but do book early! 😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealLuvfoodDined on 12/9/2014The meal was pricey and disappointing. Limited choice for vegetarians who don't eat fish.
- 1st class food@the Plough BolnhurstSM78Dined on 6/9/2014The choice of food was excellent and all the dishes we had was fantastic. Great value set menu especially. We were a large group of nine and our waitress was outstanding - helpful, friendly and efficient. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- MunchkinDined on 4/9/2014We have tried various other recommended restaurants in the area for special occasions and been disappointed and now look no further than the Plough when we want to go somewhere special. Although not cheap it is good value as the food is always of a very high standard and the well trained staff and relaxed atmosphere make for an extra special dining experience. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed a superb lunch at The Plough. The food is interesting and delicious - whilst totally accessible. The only challenge is choosing what to eat. The ipad 'chalk board' is a great touch. Well done!Special Features:
- J PetersonPlouDined on 2/9/2014Have been to The Plough many times now, usually on a Sunday and always had a delicious meal. Brought along another friend in the week and enjoyed the 3 course set menu which was equally delicious and excellent value for money. There is nothing Negative I can say as the friendliness and service are always first class as well.Special Features:
- StandardsJaguarDined on 29/8/2014The high standard of food and service never wains.Special Features:
- GemsopDined on 26/8/2014My wife and I had a very enjoyable lunch at this restaurant. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfrockedDined on 20/8/2014lunched there very recently and arrived late due to road works locally and appalling diversion signs by the local authority and contractors. The staff were very welcoming and understanding. We chose dishes from their lunchtime blackboard menu, excellent food and outstanding value. We have dined here previously and chosen from the a la carte menu and have never been disappointed. We always regard it as a treat to come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandning evening meallocaldinerDined on 19/8/2014It's rare to find somewhere that simply gets everything right, but thePlough is one such place. A non-fussy menu, great food, really well cooked good portion sizes without being overwhelming and great service. What more could you want? It's not cheap but a great place to go for that special meal.Special Features: