The Potting Shed Pub
Wiltshire, SN16 9EWNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Potting Shed Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepottingshedpub.com/
- Phone: 01666577833
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: John Jewell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: A mix of great British pub classics, with some more interesting modern options, a showcase of great local producers.
A word from The Potting Shed Pub
The Potting Shed situated in the beautiful Cotswold's is a dining pub, offering a fantastic menu, coupled with great beers on tap, an interesting wine list all served in a great, friendly warm environment. Voted National Pub of the Year for 2012, by the Good Pub Guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Potting Shed Pub - Best restaurants in Malmesbury ›
The Potting Shed Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since 23 May 2014
fit for foodies (53)sunday lunch (53)special occasions (39)outdoor eating (25)group bookings (19)good vegetarian options (15)romance (14)child friendly (13)business meals (12)outstanding value (5)brunch (4)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Lovely food in the countryvanityflair8Dined on 13/9/2014Beautifully decorated and with a warm vibe, the Potting Shed is ideal for foodies looking to take their time and enjoy delicious locally sourced food. It's obviously very popular with locals with a sprinkling of urban weekenders from the pages of Vogue. Dogs are treated beautifully as are children but this is a sophisticated option for grown-ups looking to settle in for the afternoon/evening. A good wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameAbyssalPlainDined on 12/9/2014We were 4 folk in for a Friday dinner. Two of us have been regulars over the last few years and have until recently (about 3 months) rated the Potting Shed very highly for food, ambience and service. Food-wise we are now disappointed. Last night we had a damson and apple strudel which rather than being moist and having a light multi-layered pastry was hard to cut into, had a heavy bone dry pastry and was filled with coarse cubes of crunchy apple. It had a slim if any resemblance to Apple strudel which is normally tender in the middle and easy to eat. My skate wing was fresh and well cooked but the accompanying rice and cabbage had very little distinction in flavour and were overloaded with butter. The elegance of the dishes has waned.
- Sunday evening mealPriceyDined on 7/9/2014The ambience of The Potting Shed is very good. Nicely presented restaurant. Food was good and the beer and wine were very good. Service was very attentive and the cheerful. The only issue is the cost of the drinks. £3.85 for a pint is excessive, and so is £5.80 for a 175ml wine. 1 prawn on a surf and turf meal is minimalistic to say the least (although it was a reasonable size).Special Features:
- The Potting ShedJawsDined on 26/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Interesting menu & good wine list. Friendly, helpful staff. Wish we lived nearer but hope to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab!LamtiskDined on 25/8/2014Stopped off here between Cornwall and Peterborough. The restaurant is a favourite in the Cotswolds and never disappoints. Food is gorgeous, staff are friendly and welcoming. Dog friendly too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary mealsamandalDined on 25/8/2014It was our first time at the potting shed and we loved it. The food was excellent, so much more different than other places we have visited. Excellent value for money for a special occasion. We enjoyed the setting and ambience, overall we would rate it as excellent. It was our 30th wedding anniversary and i hope we do not have to wait until our 40th to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!HannahBerrDined on 22/8/2014Amazing food, amazing service and fabulous wine. I cannot recommend this pub enough!! Think it's relatively good value for money - for three of us to have staters, mains, wine and soft drinks it came to just under £100.00. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- ServiceGladiatorDined on 20/8/2014I eat a lot at the Potting Shed and usually it is a good experience. This last occasion was not. Three people for lunch. Two starters served together then a fair wait for the third. Quails egg on pigeon starter supposed to be soft and runny but it was not. Service and attentiveness was very poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mid-week lunchladyatlunchDined on 19/8/2014Lovely food, generous sized servings so warrants the near restaurant price tag! Fallow deer ragu was simply delicious, with the accompanying nut ravioli a revelation!
- Fine diningmikefaDined on 16/8/2014Excellent quality food at a reasonable price but slow/poor service let the overall occasion down slightly...Special Features:
- GreatJackalDined on 15/8/2014As always the Potting Shed lives up to its reputation as a great place to eat in Wiltshire
- 30th BirthdayAliceDined on 12/8/2014Fantastic thank you, great food and lovely to have the hide to ourselves. The dog came too and was made very welcome and had a great time.Special Features:
- 10th August 2014FelineDined on 10/8/2014Had a secluded alcove for two, which was perfect for the occasion. The food was top notch (especially the Pork wellington with pearl barley) and the service excellent. Good atmosphere and good clean decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent placeTheDuchessDined on 31/7/2014A Visit en route to Tenbury. Highly recommended. Lunch was delicious, local beers, very quirky decor and wonderfully pleasant staff. Find an excuse to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potting Shed, CrudwellAnniversaryDinersDined on 29/7/2014Unbelievably disappointing. We have passed the Potting Shed so many times and promised ourselves to visit on a special occasion. Tuesday was that special occasion. It was very busy .. almost always a good sign. We ordered our drinks and then food. Staff, obviously very busy, were courteous. But the food was very poor; presentation, portions and the way in which it was cooked. We did a very un-British thing and told the young member staff how we felt; 'very disappointed'. Suppose it's a commercial success, but at our expense.
- DisappointingjerrylondonDined on 21/7/2014We had lunch outside, the tables were dirty and not cleaned when places set. The calamari starter was rubbery and almost off. The waiter kindly took it off our bill and the woman on the next door table also sent her calamari back. The main course plaice was OK but the accompanying vegetables disappointing. There are better places in the area.
- Excellent Sunday LunchPenevansDined on 13/7/2014This was our first visit to The Potting Shed after being recommend by a friend. We had a great time, food, drinks and service were excellent and will return again.Special Features:
- First Visit - Lovely eveningSarahTTDined on 12/7/2014It was a very busy evening and most tables were full both inside & out. Service was very friendly & our orders were taken promptly. A nice touch the complimentary bread & butter. Our starters arrived promptly and two opted for the Tapas sharing platter very generous platter. Salt & Pepper squid was presented beautifully but perhaps lacking in the salt & pepper, cod & quails egg was the other starter & was delicious. The main course arrived again with a reasonable time between courses and were generous portions, I can definitely recommend the rabbit it was superb. Fish & Chunky chips was a generous portion and The steak was cooked well. Coq au vin also very good. We were all too full for puds but will be back to sample next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant.carob244Dined on 11/7/2014After a hectic day, a lovely lunch at the Potting Shed was just what I needed and it didn't disappoint. We all loved our meals and look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather disappointedgillietennisDined on 27/6/2014Although we had an enjoyable evening in many ways, a nice table and plenty of atmosphere, both busy and noisy, but we have to say that the food was disappointing and not good value for money. Starters and puds were both very good but the mains were not up to the sort of standard I would expect for a pub with the reputation of the Potting Shed. Two small lamb chops called rack of lamb and a few vegetables for £17.00 ? The other main course was duck salad, the duck was good if a little dry, and the salad rather bland and unimaginative, over all disappointing !Special Features:
- AlexFenalDined on 16/6/2014Good atmosphere and friendly service if a little slow with the bill. Food good. Great steak and delicious lamb but rather disappointing veal that was over cooked and rather small. With a little more attention to detail this place would be excellent and I am sure that I'll return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerTrucksDined on 7/6/2014We have always enjoyed food here but it was definitely not as good on Saturday.We had very mediocre dinner.It was dissapointing.I don't know if the chef has changed?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than last time.........BrianDined on 5/6/2014We've been there several times, this time with friends. Everything was great - food, service and ambience. BrianSpecial Features:
- Lovely BirthdayDadeyDined on 27/5/2014We needed a central place to have lunch to meet friends to celebrate my wife's birthday and we chose the Potting Shed pub. We came upon it by chance but make a note of it because we had a great lunch in a superb setting and excellent service. We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stepped upmooeyDined on 24/5/2014Haven't been for a year as disappointed on the last occasion, they have really stepped up, food, wine and service top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentWaldorfDined on 22/5/2014Second time here and was sceptical after reading mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, however we had no reason to be as the service, food and value was all worth us going back. Well Done TPSSpecial Features:
- SWCMDined on 17/5/2014We have had lunch at this pub twice recently, both times a very pleasant experience. If the weather is good the garden is the perfect place for a leisurely lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 16/5/2014the whole experience was very good BUT the vegetarian option of Halloumi fritters was disgusting! There was very little Halloumi and the batter was thick and tasteless. Not at all what I expected, I could have done better myself and I am not a trained chef. Having said that the Lamb which our guests had was excellent.Special Features:
- Sunday Lunch2dineornot2dineDined on 4/5/2014very nice interior it was very busy when we went and were forgotten after we were shown to our table but when we were attended to by another waitress the service was fine. The food roast beef was good quality but was slightly on the cool side, but the lemon tart was lovely. Would go again perhaps when not so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timecrick1566Dined on 3/5/2014Tried the Potting Shed for the first time last Friday evening and we were very impressed. Food was excellent, service was prompt and friendly and we liked the look and feel of the dinning area some nice touches.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodkishDined on 30/4/2014Following our first visit some months ago which was a disaster many due to it being a busy Bank Holiday weekend, we thought we would nevertheless give it another go. All good this time, table ready, food good, ambience ok. They would have scored higher if we hadn't been constantly rushed between courses. Why do some places insist on clearing the plates away so quick. My wife had literally just taken her last mouthful, still chewing, when the plate was wiped away! There is no need as there wasn't anybody waiting for the table and it just spoilt the moment. Please don't make payment of difficult either. Other than that, perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/4/2014at dinner recently the pub was very quiet but the service was still very slow People with us had a clam dish which was off. The apology consisted of the manager suggesting that we didn't know what we were talking about.
- Excellent ServiceloveeatingDined on 27/4/2014Really enjoyed Sunday lunch with good food and excellent service. My only complaint is that the desserts did not 'rock my boat'.Special Features:
- WonderfulBarneyDined on 22/4/2014We visited The Rectory for pre-dinner drinks for my husbands birthday , we will definately book an overnight stay. The Potting Shed was fabulous could nof asked for more, a perfect lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blooming LovelyAliBDined on 20/4/2014I've been to The Potting Shed a number of times. Always prefer to be on the upper dining level at the back of the bar, the ambience and dining experience is enhanced, and that is where we dined on Saturday. It all met expectations and our friends thoroughly enjoyed their first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch venueSteveDined on 11/4/2014Lovely gastropod with quirky interior. Great food, beer and wine. Good service and value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday 8th ApriltimrDined on 8/4/2014Really lovely meal for 8 on Tuesday evening. Pork starter excellent, Ceviche quite small but tasty, chicken drumstick lovely. Mains very good, Boar Burger lovely, rare entrecote was cooked perfectly for me, risotto very tasty but quite big, sea bream was fantastic especially the puy lentils. Desserts excellent. Service very good, efficient, relatively quick (supporter of Slow Food Movement). Certainly will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentDiddyDined on 3/4/2014We were really looking forward to visiting The Potting Shed having seen the website and the reviews. However, I ordered chicken drumsticks as a starter, when I bit into them, they were not cooked at all. Whilst they were replaced and we were not charged for them and the rest of the food ws good, this detracted from the overall experience.
- Excellent dining experiencePols2102Dined on 3/4/2014First visit here but we'll certainly go back. Excellent food and service. Lovely atmosphere. Would highly recommend the traditional burger or gruyere and red onion tart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchStu44Dined on 30/3/2014Outstanding Sunday lunch with my partner and father on Mothers Day. It was packed but the service was excellent and we were given time to breathe between courses which isn't always the case in a lot of places. I don't normally go for 3 courses as portion sizes are often too big to appreciate and enjoy without feeling stuffed. I was very pleased to make an exception here, the goats cheese starter, roast beef and 3 jelly dessert were all wonderful. The light, refreshing starter and dessert bookended the roast perfectly. We all loved it and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.