The Queen's Head & Artichoke
30 - 32 Albany Street
London, NW1 4EANeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £25 and under
The Queen's Head & Artichoke
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theartichoke.net/
- Phone: 02079166206
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 12:30pm - 3:00pm, 6:30pm - 10:15pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Queen's Head & Artichoke
Once the beautiful Victorian interiors of this old pub were restored to their original glory and the first floor dining room opened, along with outside terrace for dining, the locals must have breathed a sigh of delight before tucking into some seriously good gastropub grub. Business folk crowd in at lunchtimes, while friendlier couples and groups pack in evenings and weekends. There is something here to suit most palates and pockets. The menu changes daily - another sign that they're serious about food here - but we recently loved the fish chowder, and the aubergine, potato and spinach bhaji with yoghurt. The wine list is heaven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Queen's Head & Artichoke reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since 23 October 2013
group bookings (9)business meals (7)fit for foodies (7)good vegetarian options (7)brunch (4)romance (3)special occasions (2)sunday lunch (2)disabled access (2)afternoon tea (1)pre/post theatre (1)child friendly (1)outstanding value (1)Show More
- Excellent foodkats2000VIPDined on 17/10/2014..but service can be so-so at times. The food and wine are lovely.Special Features:
- nice atmosphere, good foodcricketlegsDined on 11/10/2014made a booking here mainly due to the good range of vegi food on the menu An excellent venue, really nicely renovated Victorian pub. The food was excellent in taste and value for money and a good, if tad overpriced, wine menu. Only downside was the service was a little slow, but this did not ruin at great evening. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mix and match ...SarahDined on 10/9/2014Met for an informal business lunch: despite not being that busy, took 15 mins and quite a lot of waving to get a dirnk order sorted and our food order in. We went for a selection of tapas: flatbread, prawns and chicken skewers were good, couscous (cold!) and bean salad disappointing. Wine by the glass was good quality and overall service friendly despite having to ask each time we needed something rather than it being provided. Definatly some good cooking going on here but was just not on top form on our visit.Special Features:
- Great airy gastro pubNHNHDined on 17/6/2014Great airy gastro pub that is worth returning to, but was a little expensive for what we had (for a working lunch).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub food & Amaze Tapas!PoshandProudVIPDined on 30/5/2014I know it sounds weird but I had amazing tapas in a gastro pub. The service was outstanding and it was great value. I am going to return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food in Traditional PubTravelmanDined on 24/4/2014I ate upstairs in the restaurant, which is quiet and more chilled. I have eaten in the pub, the menu is the same and it is fine. The food is presented as both an a la Carte with starters and mains and also a varied tapas(not only Spanish) menu. The fod is imaginative and well cooked. Everything was tasty. I had fresh crab from Lyme Bay and also deep fried cauliflower, delicious and with a spicy harissa. Wine was also very good and real ale or world beers are available.Special Features:
- Great foodHitsDined on 13/3/2014We were a party of 3 people and decided to book through TopTable. The venue itself is great. We were seated upstairs and received fantastic one to one service from our waitress. The tapas we had was fantastic and really good compared to other tapas restaurants. The only minor point I would like to add is that when the food arrived at our table it was just warm. I would have given this a 5 star if food was piping hot. I would recommend this place so please do try it out for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SHOCKINGLY BADSMACKDined on 14/1/2014I am really shocked that certain reviewers gave this place good reviews; I will never trust them again. The place is drearily lit and was very cold the night we visited. The food seemed quite nice until a few hours later when I felt absolutely ill. I had suggested the place to friends and was extremely embarrassed. Would never dream of visiting again.
- Friday night DInner with FriendsGroup6Dined on 14/12/2013The reviews seemed more favourable than our experience. We booked for 8.30pm on a Friday night. Maybe it is the area, but it was very quiet, only four tables taken plus our six, and the staff all seemed professional enough but they seemed tired and laid back. The tapas wasn't very tasty and one dish arrived ten minutes after all the other food did. I would not return on the basis the atmosphere was low, and the food was overall very good, but the tapas was a disappointment and that was one of the things that attracted us. The potatoes bravas tasted like tinned tomatoes had been put on top of them.Special Features:
- May be not the place for ChristmasFiScottVIPDined on 5/12/2013I booked the Christmas meal over toptable months ago. However, when we got here that wasnt the case. It was also the case that we were sat upstairs in fairly cramped conditions next to a boisterous group, thus the low mark on the ambience. The food was decent, but some of it was a little cold. I would give it another chance, as I have had good meals here, but this wasn't one of them. May be best avoided at Christmas.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tapasAG77Dined on 30/11/2013As a vegetarian tapas can be pretty limited but not at The Queen's Head & Artichoke. Amazing selection as big as the meat selection.Special Features:
- Great location, great food,abcd123Dined on 22/11/2013Great location, great food, staff were good and entertaining! All in all,great for our family meal to catch up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed and good valueJMcKDined on 19/11/2013The first time I ate here, the tapas were exceptionally good - especially the pork loin with caramelised garlic. This time everything was good, but not as outstanding as before. The whitebait were very good, pork loin was OK, but a bit tepid and to sweet. They were out of several dishes. Very nice upstairs room above a hopping pub. Quiet enough to hear yourself and your dinner companions and very reasonable prices for Londond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with US firendsJaneyPDined on 4/11/2013We booked a table for 4 on a Monday evening; it was not busy so we were seated downstairs. Efficient, friendly but unobtrusive service. Went for the tapas menu - were recommended to select 2-3 items per person, so selected 10 between us. Great tasting food and good sized portions left just enough room for dessert. Our US friends went for the sticky toffee pudding (their UK favourite) and were not disappointed. Husband and I had the apple crumble - really tasty. Probably not the place to go for a quiet romantic dinner for 2 but would definitely recommend for relaxed dining, especially if you enjoy tasting lots of different flavours with shared plates.
- The following 278 reviews are from the The Queen's Head & Artichoke reviews archive.
- Nice neighbourhood jointSundayEveningOutDined on 4/10/2013Decent food, decent service, relaxed setting upstairs. Very rowdy downstairs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- THe Queen's Head and ArtichokenoneVIPDined on 20/6/2013This is a nice pub with lots of nooks to find a space to sit in. The restaurant is upstairs (although you can have food in the pub area) - we were very early for dinner but we were soon joined in the restaurant by others. The food was the surprise - I had read the reviews on here but wasn't too sure what to expect - we were not disappointed. We opted for some tapas style for dinner; proper whole squids, excellent dips and sauces, halloumi and pomegranate seeds (delicious) - every mini dish was tasty and filling. Desserts looked amazing; we could only manage some truffles - which were the size of golf balls when they arrive. In all In all a great place for dinner - I look forward to going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem..JennyGDined on 13/6/2013A group of 5 of us wne for a Thursday evening night out, it was fabulous, we had about 4 dishes each including the tortilla, meatballs, prawn skewers, feta and pita bread, greek salad, patatas bravas, I can't remember the rest! The service was friendly and helpful, propmpt but not over zealous, we were all really impressed at what good value the evening had been and would certainly go bakc and recommend it to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday lunchClaudiaVIPDined on 12/5/2013One of the best sunday roast in London - nice to see more options and not the usual three choices. Most pubs don't manage to serve a hot plate on a Sunday, but this is one of the few pubs capable to serve a good, warm roast with lots of different vegetables. I wish all pubs were like that.
- Sit in the cornerNotopurplepotatoesVIPDined on 10/5/2013Not a clue when we walked in. Stood for 5 minutes while they polished cutlery. After many visits, this was a let down. Really disappointed. Didn't have my booking but the pub was half empty so not a major problem but they still struggled to figure out what they wanted to do. "Do you want to sit in the corner?" I don't mind, it's your pub. Food was OK although please just serve chips or mash with steak - hard purple potatoes are no fun. Thank goodness for great company and fizzy wine.Special Features:
- Poor Service, Great FoodSundayLuncher48Dined on 21/4/2013Server was rude and stank worse than anyone should smell outside of a Gym. He stank so bad that might wife had to stop eating for a minute after he would walk past. Also rude. The Sunday roast, however, was really good. Shame about the waiter.Special Features:
- The QH&A is a good middleFoodloverVIPDined on 20/4/2013The QH&A is a good middle of the road pub for lunch. The food never really impresses but is also no longer terrible. I always leave feeling it should be better than it is. Hopefully one day it will be - certainly the food has improved over the last two years but still just doesn't quite hit the mark.
- Lovely ambience, great staff.Who4545Dined on 18/4/2013The staff were very accommodating and suggested we go upstairs as the downstairs area was heaving and one of the waitresses overhead me saying that it was too noisy to chat and perhaps we should try somewhere else. Once upstairs the ambience in the dining area was lovely. Just the right sense of comfort with a little bit of splendour. Both menus looked good, but in the end we went for the tapas. Fab seafood kebab, cooked to perfection. Wonderful bread. Beetroot and couscous dishes were a little bland for my taste, but service and ambience outweighed any small faults with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food in great locationGSLondonDined on 17/2/2013The Sunday lunch is always a treat and different to the more Spanish theme of other times. The roast chicken is HIGHLY recommended- succulent, generous portion and excellent vegetables. If you have room for desert, there are some lovely choices for desert too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I booked on Valentine's DayJwm15Dined on 14/2/2013I booked on Valentine's Day (only for myself, sadly) and thought the restaurant would be packed. On arrival, I found the very small and well-hidden staircase behind the lovely wooden bar area and went up to the restaurant. There were only two tables of about a dozen occupied. I ordered a selection of tapas which all arrived together after a short wait (I actually prefer if tapas arrive one or two at a time). Calamari were whole squid with a very light, tempura-like batter; lentils with chorizo was smoky and hearty; marinated artichokes were rich and didn't taste out of a jar; pork loin was perfectly cooked - chargrilled outside and pink and juicy inside, with a beautiful reduction. Bill with glass of wine and gratuity was less than £40.Special Features:
- not sureMarmariDined on 13/2/2013Booked this place for drink and dinner for 2. Asked for quiet corner as we needed to talk. Table reserved was in the middle ... Although there was a fee spot by the window. Met with my friend at the bar. He was asked to pay for his beer before it was served - quite unusual and unfriendly for a pub. Food was pretty good. Waiters however didn't know what shallots were and why I expected them with viniger and my oysters. We ended up with a bill of over 80 quid for beer and dinner for 2...
- excellent sunday lunch!GSLondonDined on 20/1/2013a great place for a very satisfying sunday lunch- great venue, great food and great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas and beer. A pleasant lunchRandADiningDined on 13/11/2012Spent a Monday lunch time eating very nice tapas and drinking nice beer with 5 friends. 15 tapas dishes and 5 beers, came to just over £105 which wasn't too bad though I felt some of the tapas could have been a little more generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday lunchFoodloverVIPDined on 11/11/2012The Queen's Head & Artichoke is an excellent choice for Sunday lunch - good good and a top organic roast beef lunch at a great price. Buzzy and cute pub.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 20/10/2012I had been to the Queen's Head & Artichoke before and had a wonderful lunch in their first floor restaurant. When I booked the table this time, I called the pub to request a table on the first floor. When I arrived on the day, they told me that the first floor was closed and that they only served tapas Saturday lunchtime. This was really disappointing and I cannot understand why they didn't mentioned this when I called. Also, the standard of service as extremely poor.
- ElleElleDined on 11/10/2012This is he third time we have been to the Frieze Art Fayre in Regents Park and the third time we have gone on to the Queen and Artichoke for a meal afterwards. It is extremely close and convenient for the park and the tube stations. The pub downstairs is always extremely busy and noisy but if you reserve a table upstairs the atmosphere is calm and quiet. We found the service very efficient and were pleased with the overall experience. We had some humous and olives to start and then shared three more tapas for our main course. We liked the lamb and squid but did not like the cold spinach. The five tapas dishes, a large bottle of sparkling water and coffees came to £33.00 including service. There was no special offer on the food.
- Tapas delightFoodandwineDined on 31/7/2012Really good tapas menu, providing an opportunity to select a variety of dishes and create a very satisfying meal! The upstairs room is quieter than the bar downstairs, so you can choose to either have the bustle of downstairs or the peace of upstairs. The service was attentive and helped make the meal an enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:
- sunday lunch at the Q'h&AmemacVIPDined on 29/7/2012The upstair room at the Queen's head and Artichoke is nice and airy, with a relaxed feeling. food is very good, comfort good with interesting interpretations. service is attentive but relaxed. good atmosphere for a sunday lunch. I prefer the downstairs for busy nights with friends, a drink and some good tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceCharlesOsbornDined on 3/7/2012Not bad food, great service, would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Nice food, shame about the serviceAinLDined on 1/7/2012Enjoyed a very nice Sunday lunch, food was lovely. Unfortunately service was very slow and it was hard to get someone's attention to order drinks, dessert/coffee was never offered and we were sitting chatting for about an hour post meal so would have ordered something but gave up.
- What's on their menu exactly?GreenMountainBoyDined on 27/6/2012We booked this place because its online menu (dated Monday 25 June 2012) said it served a roast beef dinner. We realize that this is a Sunday tradition in Britain but figured roast beef would be available on other days to satisfy the desires of tourists like us. When we got to the restaurant it turned out that roast beef was only a Sunday thing. This was highly disappointing as it was our last day in London. We could have gone someplace else. The restaurant needs to make it clear on its online menu which dishes are served on which days.
- Great place for a sunday lunchClairemDined on 17/6/2012Really enjoyed coming for a knees up Sunday lunch- the beef didn't disappoint and the lovely breads to start didn't go amiss either Would definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, good foodA1shaDined on 29/5/2012I really like this place but I chose badly from the main dining menu. We both had the Merguez sausages which turned out to be really heavy going. The week before when I first happened upon the place I had the steak which was perfectly cooked. They do really big portions here, sometimes too big. Will definitely return to try the tapas menu...
- Excellent value and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 26/5/2012Ate a late dinner upstairs in the restaurant. The appetizers and small plates I highly recommend. The hummus and olives were delicious. There were a lot of vegetarian options, including several salads. The prices were very reasonable, and overall I was very pleased with my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- get more staff!battylalaVIPDined on 25/5/2012Lovely place but they need more staff! It took us a while to attract the waiters attention, he looked like he was on the verge of walking out and was doing his best to look after about 100 people.Special Features:
- Tapas with friendsFoodieDined on 12/5/2012Went here with a few friends and although the atmosphere was good the service was appalling. Really let the place down.Special Features: