The Rams Head Inn
Denshaw, OL3 5UNNeighbourhood:
EnglishPrice: £25 and under
The Rams Head Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ramsheaddenshaw.co.uk/
- Phone: 01457 874802
- Hours of Operation:
The Rams Head Food Service: Monday: CLOSED (Unless Stated)
Bank Holiday Mondays: 12:00PM - 7:00PM
Tuesday: 12:00PM - 2.30PM , 5.30PM - 8.30PM
Wednesday - Thursday: 12:00PM - 8.30PM *(2.30PM - 5.30PM Lounge Menu Only)*
Friday: 12:00PM - 9:00PM *(2.30PM - 5.30PM Lounge Menu Only)*
Saturday: 12:00PM - 10:30PM
Sunday: 12:00PM - 08:30PM
The Pantry Opening Times:
Breakfast: Monday: CLOSED (Unless Stated)
Bank Holiday Mondays: 11:00AM - 5:30PM
Tuesday: 10:00AM - 3PM, 5.30PM - 7PM *(NO FOOD AFTER 5:30PM)*
Wednesday - Saturday: 10:00AM - 8:00PM *(NO FOOD AFTER 5:30PM)*
Sunday: 11:00AM - 7PM *(NO FOOD AFTER 5:30PM)*
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Burgers, French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available
- Special Events: Themed evenings
A word from The Rams Head Inn
Located high up on Saddleworth Moor above Rochdale and Oldham, the Rams Head Inn at Denshaw enjoys panoramic views out over the surrounding countryside. It’s just five minutes from Jn 22 of the M62 and the inn is a real treasure, more than 450 years old and packed with memorabilia as well as stoves & log fires in every room. This multi-award-winning venue was one of the original gastropubs and specializes in farm-assured steaks, burgers, seasonal game and fresh fish and seafood dishes complemented with an excellent real Ales, wine and champagne list. The Pantry @ The Rams Head offers a range of deli products for sale including farm-fresh meat, game and seafood plus bread, cakes and pork pies baked daily on the premises. The produce is now available through their online shop or you can visit the inviting Coffee Shop / CafeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Rams Head Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since 24 November 2013
sunday lunch (30)special occasions (25)fit for foodies (23)afternoon tea (14)business meals (14)romance (13)outstanding value (7)group bookings (7)child friendly (7)brunch (5)outdoor eating (4)disabled access (4)good vegetarian options (2)Show More
- DisappointedWandDDined on 25/10/2014Fourth visit. The situation, welcome, ambience and service good and unchanged, but the quality of food down on previously. Specifically, two steaks ordered rare were overcooked and had to be changed, which was done obligingly. The gratinated haddock contained uncooked potato whilst the fish itself was overcooked. We are reluctant to review as we understand that Trip Advisor comments by customers have received only disparaging replies from the chef. Even chefs can be wrong sometimes!
- BertieDined on 25/10/2014Very good service and lovely location. Very good starters but mains rather limited, hearty rather than imaginative. good range of drinks. I would definitely go again but would focus on starters, deserts, rather than mains, unless I was wanting a steak for example.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good all rounderrTfc470Dined on 18/10/2014Went to the Rams Head Denshaw for an evening meal mid October 2014. The service was excellent and the good very good. Good atmosphere in a cozy room. IMO pretty good value. No complaints.Special Features:
- Wonderful Sunday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/10/2014Wonderful food, good ale and a lovely venue. Well worth making the tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchCandyDined on 5/10/2014It was a beautiful setting and easy to book on line. Table was ready for us when we arrived. The food was beautiful just what I had hoped for in a meal for us as a family To celebrate my Dad's birthday. Beautiful setting different rooms to eat in little snugs a real country pub. Each course of the meal was divine. The only thing is the cheeriness of the staff was not present at all throughout the meal. All of the waitresses looked unhappy to be there and not that happy to be serving. I felt there was some tension between the staff and that was dissappointing. Had they been more friendlier the rating would have been 5* throughout. Its not that they were unpleasant there was just an atmosphere. I would definitely go back though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysSupercatDined on 2/9/2014My friend and I visited the Rams Head for our regular Tuesday evening meet up and took the children along. We enjoyed great service and the food was excellent as usual. The staff were great with the children too and would definitely take them back - probably for Sunday lunch to avoid a late night though. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdinotgoDined on 28/8/2014Pie of the day was minced beef and onion. Very fatty and strong tasting meat Desert menu limited due to previous day being busy. I choose treacle and orange tart. Very dry and warmed in microwave resulting in chewy pastry. A charge of £1.50 was added for a scoop of ice cream to accompany the applied pie which was ready priced at £4.95
- DisappointedMmmmDined on 24/8/2014I felt the whole experience was poor my beef was tuff to say the least I did comment on this at the time and was told the chef was sorry'!!!,, I spoke to the waiter away from the table re our elderly parents who had been ill to request child size portions I did this so as not to embarrass them in front of other diners however this didn't happen it seemed to create more fuss because the waiter couldn't override the computer not good enough.Special Features:
- enchanting placerupertbearDined on 9/8/2014Weve been coming on and of for many years and the quality is always yhe same which is a good thingSpecial Features:
- SUNDAY LUNCHOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 29/6/2014We had visited the Rams Head before and returned to try the Sunday Lunch. We had expected it to be the vibrant country pub we remembered and were disappointed to find it less than half full and devoid of any atmosphere. The starters were reasonable, although there could have been more toast with the pate. However, the beef on the main course had to be sent back as it was tough (the replacement was not much better) and the pork was very dry. The deserts were nice but did not compensate for the main course. Having been so impressed when we had previously visited, we felt that there was little effort being made to keep up the standard and it is unlikely that we will be returning as there are so many good deals to be had elsewhere
- Fathers Day MealDaughterstreatDined on 15/6/2014We visited the Rams Head last year for Fathers Day and it was fantastic. This year was a little disappointing. The starters were good, myself and my sister had Roast Beef which was tough, the Yorkshire puddings were particularly not nice, very dry. We finished with lemon meringue pie and the lemon part was crumbly, not as nice as normal. I did have to send a cappuccino back as it was like water, but the waitress replaced this no issues and thought it could be the machine. The venue is superb, the staff are very friendly, the ambience is good and I cannot fault this part at all. This has not put me off visiting but I will probably complain to the management next time, I didn't want to upset dad on Fathers DaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceSupercatDined on 10/6/2014I ate at the Rams Head with a friend this week. I had black pudding and bacon salad whilst my friend chose the queenie scallops. We both really enjoyed our starters which arrived quite promptly. We both then had the haddock & prawn Thai green curry. I'd not normally order this unless in a Thai restaurant, however knowing that the quality of ingredients and competency of cookery at the Rams is always excellent I went for it. I was not disappointed as the curry plus the sticky coconut rice was excellent. Service was very good and friendly as always and we finished with a nice pot of tea and chocolate truffles, being too full to consider a dessert! Overall, our experience was great and I would (& do) recommend the Rams to friends/family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatingMargDined on 5/6/2014We have eaten here many times and are always welcomed as old friends. What can I say? Great food as always I had the pork pie and peas = delicious - my friend had the haddock and enjoyed that too I hope it won't be too long before we're able to visit again.Special Features:
- 3rd & last visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 31/5/2014My wife and I found our meals disappointing and the waitieses did not appear cheerful at all. Overall, a bit of a let down, given our positive mood based on ealrier visits. All the more disappointing s the cost of the experience. - you expect more when you pay more.
- Great food in a lovely settingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 31/5/2014Super food, great menu and options beautifully executed. Not just ordinary pub grub, the Rams Head delivers a very enjoyable experience. Only negative on this occasion was a lengthy wait between starters and main course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 30/5/2014We went to the Rams Head Inn on a Friday evening to celebrate my mother in laws birthday. The menu had plenty of choice and with the added bonus of a specials selection as well you could not go wrong. We all had a different choice from the menu and each dish was well presented and tasted superb, the haddock gratin was especially nice with a sizeable piece of haddock included, it was all really good value for money. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for the food selection, the presentation and taste of the food and the constant attention from the staff serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMarieandTodDined on 25/5/2014The chef and staff were up the with the very best if not the best,,I can only compare the food to that of the one and only Michael Caines (Michelin Star Quality).I had the pigeon breast with black pudding for starter and it melted in my mouth.We both had steak for main course with the same outcome,,even the apple pie was the best I have tasted.Me and the wife would like to thank all the staff for a meal we will never forget.See you very soon,,yum yum o)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTINGjeanniejeannieDined on 11/5/2014Chicken dumplings starter was chicken deep fried in batter, main course burger was on hard bread bap, drinks (shorts) expensive and waitress unfriendly.
- Sunday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Lovely restaurant in beautiful surroundings. Very comfortable inside. Pleasant and helpful staff. Although we only had Sunday lunch the food was lovely with generous portions and the sweets were very nice with a good selection. We will definitely be booking again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonDined on 27/4/2014A very disappointing visit. We arrived a little early for our booking and went to the bar for a drink. The bar was full of dozens of dirty glasses. Whilst the food was just about ok i felt it was overpriced for what it was and i know we could have eaten better elsewhere. We didn't stay for desserts or coffee. There are many places that offer this kind of food and i would not recommend the Rams Head and would not go there again. It didn't seem particularly busy and the food did arrive quickly so maybe this was just an 'off day'.
- Good pub meal.RaychDined on 20/4/2014Vast choice in menu. Food is of a good standard and presentation of the meals is very nice. The pub is cosy and welcoming. Only let down was the gravy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxingPlace To EatrupertbearDined on 5/4/2014We have eaten here on and off for many years but every time we are never disappointed even there sunday lunch is brilliant and the wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- Mothers Day disappointmentJillyfullDined on 30/3/2014My family took me her for Mother's Day. We were very disappointed at the very basic food presented. The prawn cocktail, in particular was shockingly basic. The steaks were cooked to perfection but lacked interesting accompaniments and portion sizes were economical. As far as the fixed price menu goes, quite frankly I have had much more interesting, better presented and generous pub food. I appreciate the restaurant was busy but we had to shout for a waiter every time we wanted anything and they weren't around much. A few more staff would have been helpful. Overall very disappointed. The standards here have always been quite high every other visit but they let themselves down badly on Mother's Day and We won't be rushing back as a result.Special Features:
- Great meal, but too much hasslejanvanDined on 30/3/2014Took mum, hubby and sis for a mother's day Sunday Lunch. Food, as usual was great and pretty good value. However after arriving on time for a 1.30pm booking we felt constantly under pressure to order and at the end of each course there was a gap of app 10 seconds before the plates were cleared and then the next course arrived fairly quickly. We were asked if we wanted coffee at the same time as the desert order was taken and then twice more whilst eating desert, despite having said at the first request that we would decide after the course. This all rather spoiled a beautiful meal and as there were few people around when we left, seemed totally unnecessary.Special Features:
- Excellent meal as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/3/2014Excellent meal as always. Have been to the Rams Head before and am never disappointed.Special Features:
- par excellencedipyabreadinDined on 8/3/2014outstanding meal, all 3 courses were superb especially the steaks all cooked exactly as ordered, mine melted in the mouth and the service given was exemplary. Even though we were the last party in the restaurant at no time did we feel under pressure to leave. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and cosynatasha54Dined on 16/2/2014Lovely meal, service excellent, location and atmosphere great. Wine a little overpriced is only criticism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place470mobileDined on 8/2/2014Been to he Rams head on quite a few occasions. Always met by welcoming staff,good food and thoroughly good ambience. The setting on the moors is excellent too. Price is reasonable in my opinion.Special Features:
- A superb venueploddyDined on 30/12/2013Took Mum for lunch over Christmas and she thoroughly enjoyed it. The ambience, with the log fires especially, is lovely and the staff are outstanding. We had great interaction with them and it enhanced the experience. the food is excellent and very good value for money. We chose the set lunch menu - good range of choices. The a la carte looks terrific and we'll use it next time. Lousy weather on the day did not deter us or our fellow guests as the place was full.Special Features:
- Nice location but average foodNiceplaceburDined on 28/12/2013For the price they charge the Rams Head really need to up their game. They offer a good choice and the bread is excellent . However Man cannot live by bread alone. The Salmon Wellington contained Avery small portion of salmon I could not taste any venison in the pork and Venison burger It was also hard to find much fish in the fish cakes. Everyone thought the veg tasted as if it had been hanging around for days!Special Features:
- Always excellent2eatDined on 24/12/2013Superb meal on Christmas Eve. Everything excellent.Special Features:
- FESTIVE MEALALOLDined on 24/12/2013Had a nice 3 course festive meal on Christmas Eve. Booked on line no trouble with options for different times. Meal was very good for the starter and Christmas pudding but the vegetables for the main course needed a tad longer for cooking, especially the brussels sprouts. Beer was very good as usual. Couldn't fault the attention from the staff. Would recommend and there is a farm shop to pick up delicious extras eg eggs, bacon, butter, game, puddings, etc, and reasonably priced too. Will go again.Special Features:
- Pre Christmas lunchSaddleworthresidentDined on 21/12/2013Excellent pre Christmas lunch in the bar. Food excellent and service great. Good atmosphere - thoroughly enjoyable and, as the weather was good, views to die for.Special Features:
- Log fires and no smilesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 14/12/2013This is a fantastic country pub on the moors with stunning views. Interesting menu with lots of locally sourced produce. We had a table next to the log fire. The only thing that let down the enjoyment were the glum staff. We were not made to feel welcome and probably won't return which is a shame.
- My family has been visiting2eatDined on 13/12/2013My family has been visiting the Ram's Head since it first opened. They have never failed to provide excellent food and service. It is our restaurant of choice for all special occasions and for every other occasion we can think of! The staff are excellent, attentive and unfailingly polite and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and quality of fexcellent!SupercatDined on 10/12/2013We visited the Rams Head this week and was very happy with the good and service we received. We both had 3 courses (steak for main) and the bill was just over £25 each including drinks! Excellent value and quality of food. We received a really warm welcome and the service was attentive and friendly. The inn was cosy too with fires lit throughout. Even though it was a Tuesday, there were quite a few diners in and so there was a good atmosphere. We'll be back soon! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pub restaurant, festiveGastroSimDined on 7/12/2013Great pub restaurant, festive menu and guest ales were all excellent. Great farm shop attachedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The location is a draw, theRixiDined on 3/12/2013The location is a draw, the atmosphere is perfect (although I was a little sad that the real fire in the first room had been replaced by a log burner!) and the cosy feel of the Ram's Head makes for an intimate dining experience. The food doesn't disappoint either and there is a vast selection on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food on a SundayChrisMcDined on 1/12/2013Great food and a great time on Sunday. Good value and good service. Enjoyed our time there as always and will go again.Special Features:
- The following 170 reviews are from the The Rams Head Inn reviews archive.
- Homely with great food.sarahsmumDined on 20/11/2013Great value and quality food. Cooked well and nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.