The Restaurant at Cowley Manor
Cheltenham, GL53 9NLNeighborhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Restaurant at Cowley Manor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cowleymanor.com/explore-cowley-manor/the-restaurant/
- Phone: 01242870900
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sat: 7:00pm - 11:00pm Sun: 12:30pm - 3:00pm, 7:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from The Restaurant at Cowley Manor
Hidden inside a chic country house hotel just outside Cheltenham in the Cotswold countryside, the Restaurant at Cowley Manor is a feast for the senses. The nineteenth century manor house is rather grand in its Italianite stone and blousy wild country gardens studded with stately oaks, dramatic waterfalls and glistening fountains, its interior a balance of contemporary, colourful style and home comforts. Chef Matthew Cuthbert, with his experience working for the likes of Marco Pierre White and Heston Blumenthal brings to Cowley Manor’s menu a fresh approach to traditional English cookery, using the best seasonal and local produce and taking much inspiration from the 55 acres of the stunning estate around him. The Restaurant prides itself on its dedication to local suppliers, drawing foodies from near and far in to sample Chef Cuthbert’s fine new-English cuisine with its traditional, hearty flavour and modern, inventive sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Restaurant at Cowley Manor reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since 19 May 2014
romance (2)special occasions (2)business meals (1)child friendly (1)sunday lunch (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Birthday mealGetcurlyDined on 25/1/2014Stunning venue for a wonderful birthday meal! Gorgeous food, great service - a real treat for a special occasion. I only wished I could stay the night too.Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the The Restaurant at Cowley Manor reviews archive.
- Outstanding serviceTW101Dined on 20/1/2013Went here for a date. The food was good but the service was very personal and outstanding - we were offered the private use of the "library lounge" for drinks after dinner and the hotel was happy for us to stay there till the early hours, even bringing us complimentary champagne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fairytale location, in factYummyTummyDined on 15/9/2012A fairytale location, in fact rumour has it that Lewis Carroll took inspiration from here to write Alice in Wonderland, and it is fair to say the place is magical! The decor is great but despite its designer feel it is welcoming and appealing to both adults and kids. The cocktail menu was extensive and the staff very happy and willing to help. The menu was really interesting and I tried the lemon salad which could have also been on the dessert menu too - but it worked! We both enjoyed the steak locally sourced and still found time for a delicious dessert and a night cap. All in all a really good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor and service averge foodBasibDined on 8/9/2012Went for a special anniversary meal. Impressed with the decor though drab colours. Greeted by 'amuse-buche consisting of 2 tiny (smaller than a 50p coin) on a plate put in front of my partner . We waited for mine and was then told they were for both of us. They were a small piece of smoked salmon on a crisp bread. My partner had Celeriac Soup which was absolutely delicious and I had Duck Confit which was a little bland. Main courses were Risotto being really mushy though tasty and Belly of Pork which again was a small portion No deserts and average coffee. The bill was £90 with service and considered to be average for this type of establishment but a little disappointing when it came to a 'dining experience'. Staff were good esp Deputy RMSpecial Features:
- dinner for twopeterDined on 29/8/2012Cowley Manor is a stunning building in a splendid setting. The dining room reflects the building, a grand room looking out over the terrace to rolling lawns and a lake with woodland beyond. We received a warm welcome both from staff at reception and their young colleagues in the dining room. We opted for a starter and main course and shared a dessert. Coffee was taken in the lounge next door. The starter of tempura of scallops and samphire was a little surprising in its presentation - the scallops were excellent though. The main course of plaice was let down with gritty spinach. The dessert of treacle tart and ice cream was delicious. The staff were chatty and attentive and the courses were well paced, which made for a pleasant meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really loved this place, wentfoodie8Dined on 20/4/2012Really loved this place, went with my girlfriiend, to start the venue is pretty awesome, the place is huge!! The lady that took care of our table was lovely, great a recommending what was best on the menu and she was right. Wines was great too (even bought a bottle to take home with us :))...i couldnt fault the place. Next time I am in the area i will certianly go back. Cheers
- Very pleasant, obliging andBocaDined on 14/3/2012Very pleasant, obliging and competent waiters. No complaints about the quality of the food, but everything we had I could have prepared myself - and I would rate myself as just an average-to-good cook. Presentation uninspired. Not struck either by the dining room decor - beautiful old panelled walls with rather out-of-keeping tall cone light fittings and retro chairs and benches. It was still a very pleasant evening.
- Dads 75th : Treat, And almostSimonDined on 10/3/2012Dads 75th : Treat, And almost typically British experience: Food was good and they even gave us a complimentary glass of bubbly given the special ocasion. The two senior supervisors ; were good however junior staff with untucked shirts and no knowledge of the food and wine really let the place down. We had drinks in the bar first and the chap who brought them could not be bothered to put the mats down by crouching down but instead literally threw them towards us on the table; same with dinner
- The food was beautifully cookedNochkaDined on 8/1/2012The food was beautifully cooked and presented with a very innovative menu,items such as parsnip icecream,pear cheescake and black pudding salad were new to us. The foods were put together perfectly. The manor is beautiful and we enjoyed a walk in the grounds before eating. The toilets are very grand with fresh flowers, handcream and individual towels. The bar is very quirky and pleasant. The wine is expensive,but that is our only critisism. A great experience.
- we went to cowley Manor forKazzaCheltDined on 26/11/2011we went to cowley Manor for dinner on a busy saturday evening and found the food and service great
- My partner and I had a reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 19/10/2011My partner and I had a really nice meal here, the food and service was great! Would definitely good back.
- We arrived at Cowley ManorYummyDined on 29/9/2011We arrived at Cowley Manor and really liked the location and initial impression. The restaurant had a nice modern feel with music playing in the background. However the main courses did not meet our expectations my husband had lamb which was chewy and not very appealing. I had pork belly this was dry and tasteless with a really disgusting potato bubble and squeak. The portions were under seasoned and boring. We were offered a complementary dessert this was also not very appealing and just ok.
- Maitre D' was very welcoming.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 20/8/2011Maitre D' was very welcoming. Location for aperitifs has a beautiful view. Kitchen was unable to get the food ready on time with at least 40 mins between finishing our starters and main course. They also did not know of our top table booking when we arrived, but later found it after 20 mins. So we were not sure if we would have a table when we arrived. They added an extra drink we did not have to our bill which is always annoying. They compensated with a free coffee and a desert to share.
- Cowley Manor does not announce4ge4UDined on 10/7/2011Cowley Manor does not announce itself easily but once we had arrived we were regaled with excellent service and an excellent meal from their special seasonal menu of the day: foie gras, rock bass and chocolate tart washed down with a glass of prosecco. The view of the terrace and the gorgeous gardens made it a perfect birthday treat.
- We dined at Cowley Manor nearOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2011We dined at Cowley Manor near Cheltenham and although the setting promised so much we left a little disappointed.The food was good but the portions so meagre as to make it poor value for money. My smoked trout starter was probably the worst offender and all the main courses would require a side order of some sort to satisfy even a small appetite. The service was reasonable but not impressive.The decor in the bar area was in my opinion bizarre.
- Main course was good but spoiltOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 29/6/2011Main course was good but spoilt by poor starter which was salty hence a 7.
- Lovely setting, surprisinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 25/6/2011Lovely setting, surprisingly funky inside, loved the animal heads in the bar. Food was good but expected it to be more special/exciting than it was. Service was excellent.
- Lovely venue, friendly helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 20/6/2011Lovely venue, friendly helpful and attentive waiting staff. There were many tempting dishes to choose from, which were beautifully presented as well as beaing very tasty! (And the S.A. Merlot is strongly recommended!)
- Fantastic service, amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 16/6/2011Fantastic service, amazing food and overall great hotel. Would highly recommend.
- A beautiful traditional manorSimonDined on 16/6/2011A beautiful traditional manor house with an amazing modern twist: Stunning ambience. Service and food very good. May become a regular haunt.
- 2 of us ate here on a weeknightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 23/5/20112 of us ate here on a weeknight - superb! The setting was beautiful, and the food was incredible. Particularly recommended are the scallops and the pork. Wine list was also excellent and very reasonable, and there was 25% off food through toptable! Highly recommended.
- A very pleasant meal in aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 14/5/2011A very pleasant meal in a relaxed atmoshere. Comley Manor is a cool place in a lovely setting.
- The Restaurant at Cowley ManorBandJDined on 8/5/2011The Restaurant at Cowley Manor near Cheltenham was definitely worth the visit - a superb meal in a top class venue with superb views and with a friendly but highly professional waiting staff. Our tip would definitely be to book an early time in order to get one of the tables with the best view of the gardens. Our only quibble was the noisy background music - far too intrusive.
- Really great service and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/5/2011Really great service and very good food. Loved the setting, ideal for a bank holiday lunch with very few guests. Very good value especially with the Toptable discount!
- We dined at Cowley Manor nearorganicladyDined on 1/5/2011We dined at Cowley Manor near Cheltenham on Sunday evening. The food was delicious, well presented, and included good flavours from herbs such as lemon balm and shiso leaves. Portions could be slightly larger, however. Service was good and staff friendly and polite. The venue itself isquite a surprise with formal gardens, carved panelling in the restaurant yet very contemporary fittings. Unusual but it seems to work.
- Visited Cowley Manor, CheltenhamOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 29/4/2011Visited Cowley Manor, Cheltenham - Found the restaurant had beautiful views rather a small room but beautifully decorated, lovely choice of food. and the 25% off through top table offer was very welcome. Lovely bottle of wine for £20.00 which was great !!!
- Cowley Manor is a very classyHappyeaterDined on 18/4/2011Cowley Manor is a very classy place to eat. Superb location, superb food. The building is in interesting mix of old and new, the back garden is amazing. Staff are highly trained and efficient - a very pleasant evening and it didn't break the bank.
- Really enjoyable setting forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 18/4/2011Really enjoyable setting for lunch able to walk the grounds & had a gorgeous 3 course lunch on the terrace on a sunny day overlooking the lake & countryside.Thoroughly recommend a meal there and lovely wine including medium bodied Gloucestershire white wine.
- restaurant in hotel in CowleydinebomberDined on 11/4/2011restaurant in hotel in Cowley Manor, Glos with aspect over garden. Attentive staff, good food [we're carnivores], very reasonably priced wines, low lighting, parking and a TT offer; highly recommended if you're in Cheltenham area
- Incredible meal at CowleyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2011Incredible meal at Cowley Manor in Gloucestershire! The venue was incredible (must be beautiful in summer, shame it was dark when we got there), we had a lovely drink in their bar beforehand, and our waitress was excellent. Above all, the food was delicious - perfectly cooked meat (tried duck and venison) in light but rich sauces. Would recommend, and excellent value!
- Great food and exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/3/2011Great food and exceptional service in a fantastic location. Wonderful views of the countryside from the restaurant. Well worth a visit on a sunny day.
- Had a very good evening atOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/3/2011Had a very good evening at the Cowley manor with colleagues. Food was well presented and good value for money. Portion sizes aren't huge but the quality more than makes up for it. We will definitely be returning here.
- Dinner at Cowley manor nearOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 28/2/2011Dinner at Cowley manor near Cheltenham was excellent. The food was very good (my companion thought it was the best we had hd in the area and she eats out a lot all over the world!). the staff were very friendly and helpful and it made for a wonderful evening.
- Had a really lovely meal atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/2/2011Had a really lovely meal at Cowley Manor just outside Cheltenham. Food was great, service - fantastic; a little pricey but worth it for a treat. Will definitely return.
- The Restaurant at Cowley Manor,markrichardsDined on 12/2/2011The Restaurant at Cowley Manor, Cheltenham was wonderful. Great bar, decor, ambience and food, all at a fair price.
- Cowley Manor near CheltenhamOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2011Cowley Manor near Cheltenham has a gracious charm. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming - especially with families and children at the week ends. Our grand children felt comfortable and so did we all as a result. Food needs for all the family were catered for and the cost was extremely reasonable. Highly recommended
- We went to Cowley Manor, CowleyTheatregoerVIPDined on 23/1/2011We went to Cowley Manor, Cowley near Cheltenham for a family Sunday lunch. The setting was very pleasant and the dining room was comfortable and relaxed - we had a very leisurely lunch. The range of dishes was fine and the quality of food was very good, with generous portions. The only downside was the service - they brought one wrong dish, which was however changed without fuss, they were unsure of the range of ice cream on offer, etc, but they were friendly enough.
- A pleasurable experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 27/12/2010A pleasurable experience, we were greeted and showed through the lounge for a pre-dinner drink, service and food was exceptional. Rioja was a delight also, lack of diners in the actual restaurant was the only downfall as we were the only couple....
- The Restaurant At Cowley ManorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/9/2010The Restaurant At Cowley Manor was wonderful. We stayed at the hotel for 3 days. The view from the table was spectacular! The lamb was fantastic and the service very friendly. Looking forward to another stay at Cowley Manor.
- Cowley Manor is a stunningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 15/8/2010Cowley Manor is a stunning location; a picturesque country setting but with an eclectic, modern twist throughout the hotel and grounds. The dining room is glorious; more traditional than the bar area but every bit the luxury retreat. Food was great - well presented and high quality - and the wine choice was impressive. We've already been back!