The Rising Sun
Shackerstone, CV13 6NPNeighbourhood:
EnglishPrice: £25 and under
The Rising Sun
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.risingsunpub.com/
- Phone: 01827880215
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM Sunday 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Rising Sun
Set within the heart of Shackerstone village, close to the Ashby Canal, you will find this traditional family owned freehouse. We try and cater for every taste, whether it is for good food served in our restaurant, traditional ales in the bar, a pool room with Sky Sports or our children friendly conservatory and garden with. The bar is renowned for the quality of its real ales. Here, in addition to Marstons Pedigree you will always find two guest, cask ales from around the country. Our range of draught stout, lagers and ciders ensure our customers enjoy a great choice. The 42" plasma screen in the Pool Room always features a wide range of sporting events including live Premiership Soccer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Rising Sun - Best restaurants in Sutton Cheney ›
The Rising Sun reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since 31 October 2013
sunday lunch (16)group bookings (14)special occasions (12)outstanding value (11)fit for foodies (10)child friendly (10)romance (7)business meals (5)brunch (4)good vegetarian options (2)outdoor eating (2)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Excellent all roundSithdicusDined on 28/10/2014We attended the rising sun for my wife's 25th and we couldn't be happier. Great selection on the menu and offers most of the week such as steak night on Tuesday's. We booked for 7 on the day including a child. The childrens meal were the usual chicken nuggets etc but with some smaller portions of the adults meals also included. The decor is very warming and can only be described as a posh but relaxed barn conversion and the Website picture does not do it justice. The steaks were perfect and cooked to perfection all having different cuts and levels of cooking ie medium rare etc. The all the staff were very pleasant and were very accommodating. We don't like attending places twice too soon but we have booked for a few weeks time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingpickydinerDined on 12/10/2014very nice and could not fault food,staff etc,although the tables for 2 are not very comfortable as you are seated either side of larger tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday eveningLinPinDined on 27/9/2014Party of 5 alll chose different items from menu but all delivered same time. Friendly staff .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Rising Sun good food & friendlymaccaDined on 25/9/2014Enjoyed the meal and the atmosphere was very welcoming, would recommend to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pie and a Pint nightSundayfoodieDined on 4/9/2014We arrived had a drink in the lounge prior to going into the restaurant for 7.30pm We went into the restaurant just after 7.15pm to be told we could not be seated until 7.30pm We ended up going back into the lounge we were called at 7.45pm We ordered the special, we were asked if we would get our own drinks. We were told there were no vegetables. My meal came with chips and had to be returned as I'd asked for potatoes. The waitress wanted me to have my meal whilst I waited for the potatoes, I refused. When the bill arrived we had been charged for 1 of the drinks which should have been included with the special. Very disappointing, not the service we expected. The pie was good.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014Great steaks. Lovely salad. Nice wine. Great service. Nice ambiance.
- Rising SunHeather24Dined on 29/8/2014Very good service, there were four of us and all meals were very good. Reasonably priced, would recommend of an evening out.Special Features:
- Mixed GillSundayfoodieDined on 26/8/2014Tuesday evenings is steak night we had a mixed grill the only complaint about the whole meal was the fried egg was overdone. The quality of the meat was superb . I had new potatoes and my husband had a baked potato. The Carling is superb and the food was excellent value for money. We are trying the pie and a pint evening this week which is on a Thursday and will let you know if that is as good as the Sunday lunch and steak night..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Hearty Pub foodLea6029Dined on 24/8/2014Traditional food cooked well, good service and reasonable prices. Also has some good real ale on draught.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundayfoodieDined on 17/8/2014We love The Rising Sun but the only downside for us last week was that we were upstairs in a corner which was too dark and don't want to be seated at that table again. I've re-booked for another evening and requested downstairs. The service was good, food was fantastic value, 3 courses for Sunday lunch £12.95 and a good choice of starter and sweet. The drinks are a bit pricey but if food is cheaper drinks are usually more. The house red was good and the Carling. I think we have been there a number of times for Sunday lunch we had a problem on one occasion and the Manager was very good and resolved it which did not put us of returning.Special Features:
- sunday aug 3rd 2014pubgrubDined on 3/8/2014Took the trouble to book on line no booking found. Staff seemed confused at what was still left also two tables complained about their mesls so we were no confident when ordering. My lamb shank was ovrrcooked hardly any veg and expensive for the size of the meal.also the meals Were different from the menu description!! Strange placeSpecial Features:
- Very disappointedTeflonDined on 27/7/2014WHAT A SHAME - A PUB/RESTAURANT IN A LOVELY HAMLET. Plenty of dining space with only one other table occupied - that should have been a clue! Certainly not suitable for a wheel chair user. My son and I had to lift and carry his Aunt in her wheel chair to get in. Then we were offered a table' only just spacious enough for 4 people ????? My meal was 90% salad and hardly anything else. My son asked for his steak to be cooked well, it came to the table with blood. The other 3 meals were ok. I wished I'd stayed at home and cooked!
- The Rising SunRolandButterDined on 18/7/2014A good value restaurant serving quality pub fare in a lovely environment. The steaks and mixed grills are particularly nice and the bar serves some very good real ales.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Night is a MustClarionDined on 3/6/2014We tried this pub restaurant for the first time on Tuesday ( steak night), the service was friendly & efficient & the food was well presented, hot, good quality, we'll cooked & extremely quickly served. In addition there regular steak night offers very good value. Best steak I've had in ages & we will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:
- pie n pintgeorgeDined on 28/5/2014WENT ON A THURSDAY NIGHT FOR THERE FAMOUSE PIE N PINT NIGHT.FOOD AND BEER WAS SPOT ON.WILL CERTAINLY BE RETURNING....Special Features:
- georgeDined on 23/5/2014The best 12oz rump I have ever eaten.went on a Tuesday night witch was grill night outstading value for money £7.95. also noticed a pie and pint night on a Thursday for £9.95,will certainly be re visting very soon.well worth a visit,great food great beer great chef thank you RISING SUN.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch out for the clingfilm!RagTagDined on 18/5/2014I've eaten here many times and whilst the food has always been good, my only concern has been that the drinks seem a bit overpriced for a village pub. However, my last visit was more than a little disappointing in that the last spoonful of ice-cream from my wife's sundae contained a 30 mm square (or thereabouts) piece of cling film. I called the waitress over and showed her what we had found but she simply said "I'm sorry" and made to walk away. I said that I didn't think 'I'm sorry' was good enough for something which could have caused choking or worse so she added "I'm very sorry". Hardly the response I would have expected so I don't think I'll be returning.Special Features:
- Night-outbobsnapeDined on 22/3/2014We wanted a no nonsense night out and this is exactly what we got . Good simple food, good quality, good service and healthy portions, with reasonably priced wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itStarorionDined on 7/3/2014This pub was a recommendation on Facebook so we thought we would give it a go, we are really glad we did it has a lovely atmosphere and the staff are lovely my husband had the 32oz He man steak and thought it was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall disappointingfem58Dined on 2/3/2014just dined here and was disappointed with presentation and balance of meal, had liver and bacon - and half plate was liver...there was enough there for 3 people, husband had meat and ale pie which was same. Sadly it was accompanied by some mash and a little tin bucket of peas with a cherry tomato on top!.......... This day and age and with fresh veg so readily available it would of been nicer to have at least 2 veg on my plate and less meat. The starter of creamy garlic mushrooms was average and the deserts very disappointing. Nothing bad but could do a whole lot better.
- dinnerducatiDined on 1/2/2014fab country pub with fantastic food and real ales. nice to see there is still some propper pubs about ,well done rising sun see you soon.lSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencelovetoeat21Dined on 19/1/2014I was looking for somewhere new to dine out for Sunday lunch and a friend recommended The Rising Sun at Shackerstone. What a gem of a place, excellent food and excellent value and lovely atmosphere. Will definitely visit and dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great pub/restaurant wherelisaDined on 24/12/2013A great pub/restaurant where the staff were so friendly and helpful ,my car broke down xmas eve and none of our party had a mobile signal on their phones the landlord lent me his phone. Food ordered came out quickly and was delicious ,staff were very efficient. We found it quite cold in the restaurant with two elderly people but after asking if the heating was on we think the staff switched it up as it did get warmer .Would definitely recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 30 reviews are from the The Rising Sun reviews archive.
- FantasticTombolaDined on 27/10/2013A big thank you to the management and all the team at the Rising Sun for such a great Sunday lunch. The food was fresh and home cooked (not microwave rubbish), the portions were big and it was served quickly. If you want a traditional Sunday lunch with quality and value in great setting visit the Rising Sun !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday grill nightFatbelly2limDined on 8/10/2013A good value meal on Tues grill night. Fillet steak nice taste and chips seemed home cooked. The beer is kept very well at this pub and worth going for that alone. The restaurant is a nice room and the only critique would be that it was a bit quiet but that is not the fault of the pub . staff were really friendly and helpful an enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good value for moneyDiningDivaDined on 6/10/2013This restaurant is in a stunning, village location. The ambience is friendly and relaxed and ideal for an informal meal with family or friends. The food is excellent and very good value for money, especially the Sunday lunch menu. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday LunchBeanandoneDined on 22/9/2013What an exquisite pub in a lovely village centred on the Ashby Canal. Useful that the conservatory was suitable for a small well-behaved dog. Ability to book ahead really usefulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Rising SunLuvmyfoodDined on 20/7/2013This is a lovely out of the way place in a charming village. We came across it several years ago when we were having a weekend away on a barge. Both staff and clientele were very friendly and the restaurant is very well organised. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and our friends who had not visited the premises before commented on the pleasant ambience and choice of menu. Staff are very efficient and attentive. A very enjoyable evening and I would have no hesistation in recommending The Rising Sun to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vary good food and a pintducatiDined on 20/7/2013vary good food and a pint off pedigree to die for.10 out of 10 will be returning in near future...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visit to RISING SUNducatiDined on 13/7/2013second visit to RISING SUN fantastic food and service.ate in a lovely converted barn restraunt with air con witch was a pleasure in the hot weather..will be returning in the future a little gem in shackerstone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner a deuxsilhouetteDined on 12/7/2013I was recommended The Rising Sun and was not disappointed, good atmosphere, pleasant surroundings, helpful staff, loved the food and plenty of it and reasonably priced too. Would definately return here again. :o)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little countryside mealMickeyDined on 5/7/2013Stopped by after a long walk with my wife and had two meals at The Rising Sun, we were both very surprised with the high quality in which the food was presented and the quality of the meal on the whole, good service, good food and a good price, I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super saturdayducatiDined on 4/7/2013watched the lions win in a packed friendly local....dinned at lunch time food second to none...already booked in for sunday lunch..friendly staff good beer great food love it....Special Features:
- Dissapointing meallDisappointedDined on 27/6/2013We have used The Rising Sun frequently in the past . The meal for the first time was really disappointing. A mixed grill that was charred all over. Steak requested rare sent Well-done/Cremated. Service slow and the waitresses inflexible (Gammon requested with egg and pineapple replied in true Fawlty Towers style with a curt you can have pineapple or egg as it says on the menu but it doesn't come with both !! Really!!) All in all it was almost like losing an old friend. We've been going there for years about twice a year, but we certainly won't be going there again. Most definitely is not a change for the better. The Thai fishcakes were greasy and tasteless. On a positive note the salad accompanying the meals was nice !!
- disappointingprincess88Dined on 16/6/2013Got there to be told there was no booking under our name but fortunately they had a table in the other room. The manager came later to say he had in fact had the booking on his phone via the website but he never wrote it in the book. The food was nice but were disappointed to not recieve anything by gesture of good will for the embarassment and inconvenience (we were lucky there was a table....considering it was fathers day). For this reason we will not be giving our custom again......Special Features:
- Birthday bashkarenDined on 10/5/2013we went with 3 other couples and the food was really nice in a lovely country pub. we would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go for a friendly mealmadmikDined on 28/4/2013if you are looking for a lovely sunday lunch do not hesitate to go to the rising sun, they are friendly and nothing is to much trouble, if the meals are like this in the week then you cannot ask for anything more, it is a pity that we live in bewdley worcs because we would be dining most sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, warm welcome!BoatyDined on 6/1/2013We've been to the Rising Sun several times for Sunday lunch and have always thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent value combined with really good ingredients and people who clearly know how to cook make for a relaxing and enjoyable event. We'll be going again...shame we don't live nearer - we'd be there every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wet day lunchTarquinThunderbirdDined on 22/12/2012Food was general very good. Restaurant was very quiet & probably as a consequence, not quite warm enough. We got the table by door to the kitchen which unfortunately gave us a draft of mixed kitchen smells & the staff singing to their Christmas music every time the waitress walked in & out. Suggest they need a short corridor to shield the table from this. They pull a nice pint of Pedigree. The room is feeling very 1970's and could do with a make-over to draw in the next generation. Oh, and those cart wheel shaped windows... at least get rid of the yellow, opaque glass and enable us to see out of them...! They just look dirty.Special Features:
- Good pub foodTarquinThunderbirdDined on 6/10/2012We ate from the restaurant menu in the bar - a bonus as we were in walking boots and the floor was flag-stones. Homely home-made burgers; nice steak & guiness pie; fish n' chips fish was a tad greasy. Nice small selection of ales. Ideal stop off on a days walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.