The River Bar & Grill
The Lowry Hotel
50 Dearmans Place
Manchester, M3 5LHNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
The River Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: https://www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/the-lowry-hotel/restaurants-and-bars/river-bar-restaurant/
- Phone: 0161 827 4041
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday to Friday 7:00 am to 10:30 am
Saturday and Sunday 7:30 am to 11:00 am
Lunch: Monday to Saturday 12:00 noon to 2:30 pm
Sunday 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm
Afternoon Monday to Friday 2:15 pm to 4:00 pm
Tea: Saturday 12:00 pm to 4 pm
Sunday 3:15 pm to 17:00 pm
Dinner: Monday to Friday 6:00 pm to 10:30 pm
Saturday 6:00 pm to 10:30 pm
Sunday 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Andrew Wilkie
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The River Bar & Grill
The River Bar & Grill is tucked away inside Manchester's award-winning Lowry Hotel, situated on the banks of the River Irwell. The hotel combines cutting-edge design with elegant neutral tones, dark wood and sleek furnishings. The restaurant has a fresh, unpretentious approach to top quality dining and offers a stylish setting for low-key lunches and dinner dates. The recently revamped menu offers a Modern European menu using the finest ingredients from throughout the UK. Popular dishes include the Buccleuch 12 oz Côte de Boeuf a specially selected dry aged 28 day hung beef from the Duke of Buccleuch Estate and Pan-fried Whole Lemon Sole with Morecambe Bay Shrimps and Brown Butter.Continued
The stunning views, chic decor and delicious food make the The River Bar & Grill a must-try dining destination – whatever the occasion.
The stunning views, chic decor and delicious food make the The River Bar & Grill a must-try dining destination – whatever the occasion.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The River Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (16)business meals (15)fit for foodies (12)sunday lunch (11)romance (10)afternoon tea (10)pre/post theatre (9)group bookings (5)outdoor eating (5)disabled access (2)outstanding value (2)brunch (2)good vegetarian options (1)Show More
- Ian's thoughtsianpDined on 7/11/2014Food superb, service attentive without being over the top. Quiet although the hotel was busy with other thingsSpecial Features:
- Really GoodmudfeetDined on 2/11/2014We enjoyed all the courses on our meal, a great view and location and really friendly staff and attentive, the only thing that wouldmput us off going again is the price, there seemed to be a lot of extras such as gratuities but it was a pleasant afternoonSpecial Features:
- a lovely mealInvCastleDined on 31/10/2014Both the A La Carte and Grill menu food was outstanding. The Grill menu especially was great value for money. Three courses and a glass of wine for £24.95. The A La Carte was as you'd expect more expensive but the standard was high.Special Features:
- Evening DinnerskimanDined on 14/10/2014Has a lovely evening dinner at The River Bar and Grill. Its a nice location just over the footbridge from Deansgate. Lovely atmosphere and excellent service.Special Features:
- Only OK-ish....NorthernerDined on 11/10/2014Dinner at the Lowry - its was OK, nothing more. Pre-dinner G&T was good with a choice of gins. However a Peroni was warm and in a warm glass to boot. The 2nd one was no better. So to dinner. Welcome was warm, waiter was attentive and jovial at the outset. NOt sure about the atmosphere - bit noisy, echoey even, not cosy at all. Food was very tasty although not sure that the grill was so good to be hyped as much as it was. However as the restaurant got busier, the attention from our waiter fell away to the point where by the time we were eventually asked to order pud we were past it. >£200 for 2 without puds or coffee.....Special Features:
- Overall good fine dining experienceAgnesDined on 15/8/20143 course set meal with wine is good value for money. Service is excellent. Unfortunately, this set menu is not available on saturday evening but not clearly specified at both toptable the the lowry hotel's website. Staffs insisted it is in the term and conditions but I still didn't find it anywhere on both websites. Despite the restaurant being within a 5 star hotel, queries via email regarding the booking are not usually acknowledged. That side of customer service may need improving. Otherwise overall dining experience is very good. I will surely be dining there again.Special Features:
- great food as alwaystbfoodDined on 4/8/2014Such a shame there's hardly ever anyone in mid week but that's the only thing to fault .. excellent food - beatuifully presented - and attentive lovely staff... keep going back and back!Special Features:
- Good value sunday lunchgazzathom40Dined on 3/8/2014At £19.95 for 3 courses this is great value for quality food. Fresh and perfectly proportioned, the food is full of variety and flavour. Our only disapppointment was the cheese - a basic choice of stilton, cheddar, red leicetser (?) which had obviously been sliced and prepped earlier and then been sitting around for some time as it was very drying . 5 out of 7 of us had the cheese and we all felt the same. My stilton was particularly poor, so sent it back and replaced it wit the amazing eton mess. I did not appreciate the waitress saying to the whole table that the cheese was only bought yesterday so I was wrong! Also, whilst very good, the wine list is not priced as competitively as other venues of similar qualitySpecial Features:
- Excellent ServicesandfoodDined on 12/7/2014The service at this restaurant was excellent. We had sirloin steak which was cooked in their new high temperature oven. Unfortunately it was overcooked but the staff were very helpful and friendly and didn't hesitate to cook another. I'm not convinced that their new oven is the best way to cook steak because the intense heat dries out the outside of the meat. Nevertheless, overall, the food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a river viewhaggisVIPDined on 6/7/2014the food is excellent and the views great, wine reasonable, service impeccable. we will go again.Special Features:
- Ok, but nothing specialMNRCoachDined on 1/7/2014As the title says really, everything is just ok but expensive for what it offers, I also feel the staff are a always in a rush. There are way better options in the city for the same cost or less.Special Features:
- 50th birthday celebrationsFULLUPDined on 1/7/2014Four of us dined for a friends catchup and also to celebrate my 50th birthday. We booked the special offer menu and weren't disappointed. Excellent service and food from the first visit in the bar to being taken through to the restaurant. I was also given a special plate of little treats with a candle and birthday greeting in chocolate which finished the evening off in style. Two of my friends hadn't eaten here before and were very impressed with the menu choices, food and overall cost. Hopefully it won't be too long before we visit again and would recommend a visit to anyone taking the time to read this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star servicecitymikeDined on 21/6/2014From entering the resurant to leaving we received excellent service, great food and and really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- River B&GgnbriddellDined on 25/5/2014Excellent evening and meal. Matre D understood customers and service. Food was excellent , Starters of Pork belly and scallops , fine and flavoursome Steak and Tuna Loin for mains. both cooked to perfection. Dessert wine and coffee with complimentary "mini" dessert. Stayed for a second bottle of wine in the hotel Bar. Terrific night . Thanks.Special Features:
- 93rd Birthday CelebrationsFULLUPDined on 27/4/2014A very enjoyable meal to celebrate my father-in-laws 93rd birthdaySpecial Features:
- Fabulous Sunday LunchTerryPDined on 20/4/2014Booked a Sunday Lunch for my sister, my wife and myself and could not have been more pleased with the food, the service, the friendly atmosphere and did I mention the food! We had 3 different starters of asparagus, smoked salmon and the bresaola and all were heavenly. This was then followed by 3 identical roast beef main courses. The roasted sirloin was cooked to perfection (medium rare) with vegetables, roast potatoes and a garlic mash. We all had the same dessert of salted caramel and chocolate tart which was absolutely superb - the best we have ever tasted. All the while the very friendly but unobtrusive maître d' and waiting staff made sure that our glasses were kept topped up. Truly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Rude and unwilling to helpKMF1977Dined on 15/2/2014Unfortunately we didn't even get to eat at The River. I'd booked the table through TopTable having seen a great deal and was very excited to be returning to the restaurant again for a special dinner. Only to be called shortly after to be told that the time I had booked the table wasn't available and that the deal which was advertised wouldn't be honoured. When I tried to negotiate with the restaurant saying we could be flexible on the time if they could honour the deal (which was also displayed on my confirmation email), they were completely inflexible. I have only ever had a fabulous experience being at the Lowry and it was one of my favourite restaurants in Manchester, but this recent dealing has left me very disappointed and angry.
- great food stylishly presented stintbfoodDined on 23/12/2013great food stylishly presented stingy fish portions though ! for main course and not very busy so lacking atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Christmas mealParisianChicVIPDined on 16/12/2013We dined here on 16 December. Had the special Christmas meal, which was excellent. Beautiful environment, friendly attentive staff, a perfect evening. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive Lunch SpecialcontinentalclubDined on 14/12/2013Visited as a party of 8 for the pre-Christmas lunch special. Menu, food quality, friendliness of service and surroundings all very good indeed. The only (very minor) comment would be that the service wasn't especially attentive - it's a big room for the number of staff that were working.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Better Than FoodKcmrVIPDined on 30/11/2013Nice experience. Outstanding service. Ordered fillet steak which was well overcooked and the outside was quite hard (ordered med-well). Also ordered half lobster which came covered in a cream cheese sauce, was nice but could not taste the lobster at all. Scallop starter was lovely and cooked perfect. Service excellent could not fault at all. Freshly cooked cookies offered whilst sat at the bar along with fresh snacks for each customer. Very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 254 reviews are from the The River Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Excellent serviceKlostersrefugeeVIPDined on 9/10/2013I ate alone at the River room and had a choice from a fixed price menu that offered three courses for £24.95 plus service. There was a varied choice. My first course was a delicious creamy wold mushroom soup. The main course was a smoked salmon risotto. It was a little too buttery for my taste but nevertheless was tasty. The desert, hot pineapple with cocnut ice cream was beautifully presented and delicious albeit slightly fussy for my taste. All in all a very good meal; excellent value for money; and astoundingly good service (albeit the restaurant was almost empty on the weekday when I ate there)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit of a disaster,BonoprobonoDined on 14/9/2013This came highly recommended, but came nowhere near expectations. We had booked a set meal, but the staff initially told us it was unavailable. Then, on my insisting on seeing the manager and production of my printed out booking, they reluctantly relented. But the choices were so unappealing that we went a la carte. (It was too late and too difficult to go elsewhere.) The food was actually quite good, but desperately overpriced. There were about 5 other people dining. The maître d'hôtel was suitably attentive and appeared to be trying to make up for things, but the other staff really didn't seem to care. The overall bill was more than I'd have paid for an equivalent meal in London. Never again! And I'd advise anyone in the area to avoid it.
- Excellent food and value forperry1983Dined on 8/9/2013Excellent food and value for sunday set menu. Service was perfect will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- afternoon teaAnWiDined on 26/8/2013Good selection of foods, only disappoinnent was that we had been told we could eat on the terrace if the weather was nice, but when we arrived we were told this was impossible. The restaurant was under refurbishment so a good effort was made to accommodate us in a function room. Staff very courteous and efficient. The "offer" on toptable is a misnomer as i think it is bookable direct via the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was lovely - very impressivetbfoodDined on 26/7/2013food was lovely - very impressive though limited menu choice on set menu staff were great and gave you plenty of time surroundings lovely but restaurant empty pretty much .. more sat outside so no atmosphere really but didnt spoil it as we had a great time would go again as food and value were fantasticSpecial Features:
- Excellent occasionParisianChicVIPDined on 15/7/2013This was the second time we have eaten here, the first time being the Christmas menu. The food was exquisite, the service polite and attentive but not intrusive. All in all, a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at riversidesabeenVIPDined on 17/6/2013delicious food, attentive service, excellent as usual, good value with dealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ExperienceReddaisyDined on 4/5/2013The overall experience was really good and waiting staff very attentive. Although some of the courses I would say was not value for money ie the starters and on the main the potatoes were extremely under cooked. Chose not to complain as it was my birthday night out, hence the reason not to complain. Otherwise a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shareholders lunchandyDined on 25/4/2013our annual lunch which has been running for several years now was as good as ever. we started with champagne and canapes followed by a 4 course meal with exemplary service. a splendid occasion which is a lowry trademark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchBargainlunchDined on 27/3/2013We went for the special offer (£19 3 course lunch) - and it was fabulous Service was great. If you are going soon, I recommend the rabbit main course! The food is elegantly presented and you don't feel too full. The bread was yummy too. We had a really nice time, and our taste buds did too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyed my 3 courseCityliteVIPDined on 23/3/2013Thoroughly enjoyed my 3 course meal. The service was friendly and attentive. The choice was limited so you need to be open minded and ready to try something new. Beautiful surroundings. We ate early so there was only another table used. The food was delicious and the presentation was very good. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for the food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth it for a treatStopperDined on 15/3/2013We booked the special offer 3-course seasonal menu for £19.95 each, but neither myself or my wife wanted anything from it, so we selected from the main menu. We both had lobster bisque to start, which was lovely. I had the lamb loin for main and my wife the turbot, as recommended by our waiter. My lamb was nice, but could have done with some more perhaps. The service was excellent, although my wife was given the wrong dessert. The desserts themselves were awesome, so overall we were very happy and will come again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableAlanDined on 19/1/2013The restaurant service was excellent as was the food. The bar service was a slow and we seemed to have been forgotten about while waiting for a drink and menus in the bar. The wine list was very over priced, but that apart everything else was good. Petra was very charming and excellent front of house service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The deserts were good, butPieterDined on 12/1/2013The deserts were good, but starters were too simple and felt like pulled out of the fridge. The setting is not very interesting at all.Special Features:
- Wonderful ambience and service.LorrieDined on 7/1/2013Wonderful ambience and service. Great food, imaginative menu. The deserts were especially wonderful. Good value pre-theatre/market menu. I was not allowed to spend my £10 toptable voucher here however, so not sure how this works.Special Features:
- Ok for lunch but not in a hurrypickyeaterDined on 10/12/2012Visited for lunch on a Monday. The restaurant was fairly quiet but the food came pretty slowly. One of us ate from the Christmas special menu and the hake was very good. On the a la carte menu, the minestrone soup was a bit disappointing, the crab was large and very nice and the cheeseboard a bit sparse. Overall, the a la carte menu is a bit overpriced for the quality and service but we did enjoy a pleasant lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value for moneyperry1983Dined on 18/11/2012The two of us went for sunday lunch the £19.95 3 course se menu and its was amazing and great value for money. 3 choices for starters 4 for mains and 3 for deserts a good and simple choice for all. Will be going again and with more people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value! Excellent food.HelenFoodieDined on 18/11/2012This is the first time I attended this restaurant - a bit hidden away in the Lowry Hotel on the banks of the river. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but the restaurant is beautifully light and tastefully decorated with art prints and orchids. A man plays the piano and we enjoyed the attention of our waiter, mostly because we had the whole place to ourselves, although people began to trickle in eventually. We did the 3 courses for £19.50 deal and the starter, Duck Hash Brown and poached egg, was divine. the roast beef was pink and succulent. The only let down was the pudding, which was an Apple Parfait with Caramel Ice Cream...which seemed to be missing any apple flavour. For the money,great value, nice surroundings and beautiful food!Special Features:
- Great food but very expensive!SchpootzDined on 21/10/2012Great food but very expensive! A place to go for a treat...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.