The River Grille
Bristol, BS1 4QFNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The River Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.doylecollection.com/
- Phone: 0117 923 0333
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday 17.30-22.00; Friday & Saturday 17.30-22.30.Lunch: Sunday Carvery: 12:30pm - 2:30pm
Afternoon Tea: daily 13.00-17.00
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The River Grille
Poised on the very edge of the harbour side, the appropriately named River Grille boasts one of Bristol’s finest locations. The emphasis in the kitchen is on fresh, high quality local produce, very simply prepared to maximise flavour, texture and colour. Menus are subject to regular change to make the very best of the West Country’s ever changing seasons, so you might find a juicy steak from Fowlescombe on your plate one week, Exmoor blue cheese another, River Ex mussels in Bounders cider yet another. The light, bright and spacious River Grille dining room is relaxing and informal, the perfect stage on which to experience all the region has to offer. Enjoy live music from 19.30 on Friday and Saturday. We are proud to invite you to our special Sunday Carvery 12.30-14.30 with succulent roasts fresh vegetables accompanied by our pianist and garnished with a beautiful view. .New! From Friday 25th April The River Grille is launching a new Pre-Theatre menu from 17.30-18.45. Book now!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The River Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since 29 November 2013
special occasions (15)romance (14)business meals (8)pre/post theatre (8)fit for foodies (8)outstanding value (5)group bookings (4)sunday lunch (3)disabled access (2)brunch (2)child friendly (2)afternoon tea (1)outdoor eating (1)good vegetarian options (1)Show More
- Amazing Dining at The River GrillekabickDined on 11/11/2014My partner booked here for my 56th Birthday as a surprise. The Staff were very helpful and attentive, the food was absolutely divine full of flavour. The little added touch of macaroons with happy birthday written in chocolate on the outside of the plate had us speechless it was so beautiful and thoughtful. It was a very romantic night sat by the window with a beautiful view. The prices were reasonable. The only slight fault (only because my partner is very fussy eater) the deserts although very stunning and beautifully set out were slightly too much for my partner. Something a little softer may be a choice of icecream or something plain for those who dont have an exquisite pallet for flavours. But can not fault the evening and have told every body how brilliant the River Grille is and will most definately be booking again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic servicelittlepixieDined on 4/10/2014had amazing staff and service but unfortunately the food wasn't as good as service. the quantity was small and quality wasn't as great. good presentation though. the hospitality is great, attentive and very helpful. they go the extra mile. however, foodwise, they should definitely increase the size of the food, season it more, and cook it longer (the meat, a bit on the raw side compared to other places I've eaten out). for the price paid perhaps even get different cuts because the cut I had rivalled those of a supermarket. I feel the value didn't justify it. solid 3 stars on food, and 5 stars to staff!!
- OkEatingoutDined on 13/9/2014Nice place, lovely views but average food. Friendly service but could be slow.
- amazing food againmattywhittDined on 29/8/2014This is one of our favourite restaurants and we visit a lot because of the quality of the food and the service we recieve. The waiting staff always remember us and even let us use an umbrella as it was raining which is fantastic customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An oddity45lesleyDined on 11/8/2014My first impression on walking into The River Grille was that it would be bad food and service, and my heart sunk as I was entertaining visitors from America. The rolls were brought and they were very hard, as if overcooked, but to my surprise were lovely inside. That seemed to be the theme of the evening, all the food looked a bit brown and overcooked, but I can tell you it was WONDERFUL. I had a rib eye steak which melted in the mouth, the chips were yummy. The rest of my party had various dishes including starters and all were said to be delicious. I can't explain bad first impression, maybe it was just because its like a conservatory, the kind you get in pubs with a Carvery and everything tastes like its been kept hot for a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, lovely viewMRLondonDined on 9/8/2014We found and booked this place online, having never been to Bristol before. Overall we had a lovely evening - booked on the pre-theatre menu. Lovely view of the water, very good / polite service and the food was mostly good - had to pay £8.50 supplement for the steak, which we then had to send back bc it was overcooked. However the waiting staff handled this really well, it was no problem at all to do another steak medium rare. Would recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceKillyDined on 6/8/2014Outstanding service from friendly staff. The only thing that stopped this from getting 10/10 was that the main course of lamb was not hot (plate was lukewarm). Lamb was sent back and replaced together with the side of Cauliflower Cheese. So we ended up eating both courses on our own, so to speak! Not very romantic. Thanks for the birthday wishes and "free" macaroons" which have me completely hooked now!Special Features:
- amazingspigDined on 26/7/2014Great place to eat food was outstanding and service was top quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good view of riverOliviaDined on 18/5/2014This restaurant is in the Bristol Hotel so if you approach it from the non-river side, you will not see it because the front of the restaurant gives onto the waterfront (and looks very pleasant en passant). I had pea soup with small mint dumplings. The flavour could have been more intensive. Then I and my companion both had the pork: it tasted good but the top was so solid that it was not eatable and the crackling was blown up into a kind of pork balloon which had novelty value but not much taste and went glue-y in the mouth. The dessert was the most delicious course -- chocolate and ice cream. Service very good.Wines cost from about £22 upwards. I paid £70 for the meal including a tip.Special Features:
- Yum yum1313Dined on 10/5/2014The menu is quite small but there is plenty of choice and the food is very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRustyhaloDined on 20/4/2014I booked a table at The River Grille for my Dad's Birthday. We had a wonderful evening, the good was incredible and the service was excellent. It restaurant itself was beautiful, with great views of the harbour. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch with familynemzerDined on 16/2/2014Took my 2 brothers, sister-in-laws and their kids for Sunday lunch. Excellent value, very good quality carvery and lovely deserts. Great views of the harbourside. Staff were very welcoming and helpful, overall difficult to fault it. Will be coming again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been specialLoveBristolDined on 15/2/2014The River Grille is attached to a hotel on the harbour in Bristol, lovely for a spot of people watching whilst enjoying your meal. Food was very nice, cooked well on the expensive side as you have to order sides to complete it. Wine was expensive for supermarket brands..... The receptionist was lovely but the waiting staff and bar staff in the hotel were disappointing - being blatantly ignored then sharing and looked down upon does not bode well for an overall good impression of the hotel and restaurant. Having done both jobs in the past I know how to act to ensure customers have the service they would expect. Good service can mean good tips. Shame we left with a a sour taste.Special Features:
- River grille stunningFillyDined on 18/1/2014River grille was beautiful, Romantic and a perfect night out with a partner. Had live music, good wine and great service - stunning views ESP on a rainy nightSpecial Features:
- Very nice restaurantLwoodDined on 11/1/2014Food was amazing with a varied menu it was a nice atmosphere with piano being played in the background the only thing I would change is the portion size I had the venison Wellington and would like to have seen more of it would go again for special occasionsSpecial Features:
- River Grille Saturday 28th DecemberWoodyVIPDined on 28/12/2013Had a very enjoyable meal with a good view over the wharf and river. Reasonable value and the Venison Wellington was excellent.Special Features:
- Our 2nd choice turned good!LalapipsDined on 14/12/2013We orginally wanted to go somewhere else, but it was fully booked, so i about for something similar. It was a nice restaurant and we had a 3 course set menu which was £24.95 and came with a cocktail. It was nice and well laid out with a lovely review of the river. There were 4 of us and we all had something different and all enjoyed it. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UninspiredMackDined on 14/12/2013Took my family out for a meal whilst visiting Bristol from Cornwall. The staff were very nice, particularly our waiter and waitress, sadly though the food was quite bland (I had the Lamb and my wife had a vegetarian option) and doesn't match up to the prices charged.
- Great Place!SirCainesDined on 14/12/2013Fantastic for group bookings! Tables are all spaced out so the atmosphere is brilliant and not as loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent waterfront restaurantGromitluvsDined on 1/12/2013A lovely place to dine by the waterfront, we enjoyed our meal at the River Grille. Part of Bristol Hotel, it does not feel like a hotel restaurant and fabulous views onto the Watershed buildings. Great service and the food was superb. Impressed with a variety of local food offerings all from the West Country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 151 reviews are from the The River Grille reviews archive.
- Excellent foodlae24Dined on 28/11/2013We had a great meal here while on a trip to Bristol. We were actually staying at the hotel but booked through Top Table for the 20% discount. We had 2 courses and a glass of wine each (table for 2) and the bill came to £50. Lamb and venison were both fantastic and the desserts were also top notch. Service was attentive without being overbearing. It was reasonably quiet on Thursday evening - probably about 10 tables in all which gave quite an intimate atmosphere. I would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant did not haveJaneDined on 23/11/2013The restaurant did not have my reservation so we had to wait for a table to come available They said this sometimes happen when you book through top table. Next time I will book directly through the restaurant and not use top table .
- Great LocationS1A1VIPDined on 17/11/2013I came here with my grandma and two cousins and it was great for a family meal. It was mine and my grandma’s first time to Bristol and we wanted a restaurant with a lovely view and this didn’t disappoint. It wasn’t very busy and there was a piano playing which was lovely but a bit loud. We went for Sunday lunch and it was quite good value for money. You went to a buffet to get your starters and dessert and the soup and main course were bought to your table. We didn’t really like the buffet style setup, especially for the desserts. Other than that, we had a great time, our waitress was lovely and very accommodating.Special Features:
- 75th birthdayRichardGDined on 21/10/2013a cold, wet, birthday monday night, ,but a warm and charming.restaurant. Food was well presented and tasted even better. Service was professional and friendly, we even got a candle in our pud for mum! The top table 25% offer was great, and a good night was had by all.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to previous visitsPopsDined on 17/10/2013Really disappointed, we have eaten here before and enoyed wonderful food. Unfortunately this time the food didn't live up to our expectations. I had the lamb dish which was delicious until I ate one of the onion bhaji which had so much salt in it that it ruined the whole dish. My husband had the duck which was overcooked. This is a great hotel which we visit often but the chef obviously had an off day.Special Features:
- Great serviceMattVIPDined on 29/9/2013Had a great meal. Thanks for the good service too.Special Features:
- Great riverside locationguyosmondDined on 18/9/2013When I booked this, I didn't realise that it is part of a hotel and, in general, I prefer to use independent restaurants. However, my caution was unfounded and we had a very satisfying meal. Our party (of 5) were all delighted with our selections and the TopTable discount offer made it outstanding value. Service was a little slow but we were all enjoying a lively conversation so we didn't really notice that much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the whole we had an excellentsuky11Dined on 7/9/2013On the whole we had an excellent evening only one thing when I book again which I will I will select a table away from the service area as our table was very draughty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food long waitbristolDined on 19/7/2013Booked via toptable and got 25% off the total bill otherwise it would be on the dearer side of the food. Had gnocchi as a starter, a bit too garlicky but really nice and had (posh) fish and chips. The batter was a bit too oily however nice piece of fish. As a side dish we ordered the fried courgette it was more like bhajjis, they were not that great, quite burned and tasteless. We had to wait for long time for our main course although there were only 3 tables occupied at the time we arrived.Special Features:
- great food not so great service !KayleighDined on 15/7/2013Was the best steak I have had in a long time ! Partner says the same ! Only downside was the staff , one was lovely but the lady who took us to the table was not really polite and we felt like we were a hassle ! One of our desserts were brought out then a few mins later the second which was just put on the table and the young girl walked off without a word, would maybe go back but doubt it to be honest !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch the world go byhappytoeatDined on 11/6/2013We were very fortunately, as in error I had booked our meal for Tuesady night, when I had wanted Saturday night! When we turned up, and realised this, they were very friendly and found us a table right at the front of the restaurant where we had a wonderful view of the river and the Bristol night life. We sampled the three course menu which had good choices and fair portions. Service was certainly not rushed nor slow. An enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- One of the Best in BristolWingY1Dined on 11/5/2013Extremely delighted to try this restaurant out - and I differently go back...very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to The River GrilleAnonymousVIPDined on 27/4/2013We went to The River Grille on a Saturday night and were allowed to enjoy a relaxing meal without feeling we were being rushed out. The food was a little disappointing but the wine, recommended by our waiter, was fantastic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPartyQueenDined on 16/2/2013Went for the Valentines special - food was ok but steak was rubbish and told the waitress and then waiter and there was no response or come back. Location great and food tries hard. Didnt want to spoil our evening by making a big fuss but was a shame they didnt act on it?
- River Grille - Bristol HotelTELLECDined on 14/2/2013Excellent Food from a hotel restaurant. I have been disappointed when dining at Hotel restaurants before, but the service, food and ambiance of the River Grille is just excellent. All Menu's clearly display suitability for vegetarians and Coeliac's. Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and serviceChrisDined on 10/2/2013I booked the river grille for me and my girlfriend as an early valentines day meal. The service was great and the food was amazing. I was a little disappointed to find that the bottle i had pre-ordered was not on the table but this was soon rectified. All in all an amazing setting to take a loved oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic meal for 2YoungiDined on 25/1/2013Me and my girlfriend went here for our anniversary the other day, the menu choice was good, and for the quality of food was well priced. The grand piano in the restaurant was lovely and created a very nice mood throughout the restaurant. Would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food & ServiceFriscoDined on 29/12/2012The River Grille Bristol is a great restaurant which has to be experienced. The food is simple, delicious and full of flavour. The ambience is comfortable, relaxing and very serene. The service attentive, friendly and amongst the best there is. A firm favourite of ours which has never disappointed. The chips are particularly delicious as are the cuts of meat served - but leave room for the tasty desserts! We arrived for a late booking and did not feel rushed whatsoever. Many Thanks to the team there for their attentive and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't be disappointedHelenbirdDined on 14/12/2012We went to the River Grill for a romantic meal for two and although the restaurant was fully booked we did have a lovely evening. The staff performed well under pressure and the food was excellent. We shall definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River Grille BristolDWHornchurchDined on 1/12/2012Had a delightful evening on Saturday with friends at the River Grille in Bristol. Lovely setting, good atmosphere, delicious food but disappointing staff. We were casually told to hang our coats ourselves on a coat rack in the corner and was eventually led to our table where we were told our server would be along to take our drinks order. I think she must have been on a break somewhere but she did eventually turn up! After not such a good start we were pleasantly suprised with the quality of the food which was delicious and well presented! Great food, shame about the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.