The Rivington Bar & Grill
178 Greenwich High Road
London, SE10 8NNNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £41 and over
The Rivington Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rivingtongreenwich.co.uk/
- Phone: 02082939270x1
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast : 10am to 12pm Saturday & Sunday Lunch: 12pm to 5pm Monday to Sunday Dinner: 5pm to 11pm Monday to Saturday (5pm to 10pm on Sunday)
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from The Rivington Bar & Grill
Housed in the Greenwich Picturehouse building, The Rivington Bar and Grill restaurant comes from the London stable that includes such stellar restaurants as The Ivy, Le Caprice and J Sheekey’s. That’s some pedigree. The Rivington Bar and Grill serves back-to-basics British cuisine all day long from brunch until late. The bar offers terrific cocktails and all-day dining - the perfect place to chill and meet friends. But it's the main restaurant we want to focus on here. Flooded with natural light, The Rivington’s whitewashed walls and stripped wooden floors creating a cool and relaxed dining space. The Rivington Bar and Grill's menu is carefully compiled using the best seasonal produce available, sourced from small suppliers in and around the British Isles. Traditional favourites includes dived Lyme Bay scallops with bacon and sea purslane, Hereford rib eye with chips, the all-day breakfast and the delicious bread and butter pudding.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSunday Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerBritish
The Rivington Bar & Grill - Best restaurants in Greenwich ›
The Rivington Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since 31 October 2013
special occasions (29)sunday lunch (25)fit for foodies (22)pre/post theatre (19)romance (17)group bookings (16)brunch (15)business meals (14)child friendly (8)outdoor eating (8)disabled access (4)good vegetarian options (3)outstanding value (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Great as usualAW12VIPDined on 12/10/2014.. though was slightly disappointed that my favourite sea bass was not on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreenwichdonnaVIPDined on 19/9/2014Always good food. Perhaps the menu could do with one or two new choices - mainly heavy choice for hot days - salads?
- Excellent ServiceAPMDinerDined on 5/9/2014A great menu in a good location with a great atmosphere and friendly staff. Can't fault it.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceGreenwichFoodieVIPDined on 26/8/2014We reserved a table online, when I got there and they did not have the reservation. They sat us and argued quite loudly that we had not booked a table and they now had no tables for the person who had a reservation, this continued through the meal. I became so anxious with the arguing we checked our reservation to verify we had the time and date correct. We received our starters before we received our drinks and never got bread. We asked for ketchup for our chips, we had to then flag down the waitress twice who then proceeded to bring out a small ketchup for us to share. It clearly was not enough, but at that point neither of us could bother. The food was good, the service was appalling.
- The Rivington Bar and GrillanonDined on 23/8/2014Dined with two friends. The food was well prepared and tasty. Two of us had the scallops which were delicious and third person had steak. The service was good. It wasn't cheap but nice for an occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rivington Bar and GrillMandyGDined on 12/8/2014Visited the Rivington with a group of friends on a quiet Tuesday evening. The food and service was good, but not outstanding. Perhaps a little too expensive for the quality of the food though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute bookingLoYeDined on 3/8/2014Booked this last minute as the restaurant I wanted to go to wasn't available, so I didn't have very high hopes despite the fact we were celebrating my dad's birthday. Service was good but towards the end, it felt like the waitress was waiting for us to go despite the restaurant not being very busy. The menu of fish was very good, but the steak that I ordered was too well done and very tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday lunchNUMNUMSDined on 3/8/2014HAVE USED IT FOR THE ABOVE ON ANUMBER OF OCCASSIONS RECENTLY WITH DIFFERING FRIENDS/RELATIVES. REALLY CANNOT COMMENT ON ANYTHING BUT THE ROASTS, WHICH ARE FIRST RATE, AND THE SERVICE WHICH IS EXCELLENT - EFFICIENT,POLITE,HELPFUL AND WITH HUMOURSpecial Features:
- Good Food, Good LocationDAL2675VIPDined on 21/7/2014The Rvington Bar and Grill always seems to get it right - good service, good location, great food all in the heart of Greenwich. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fav localPaulieVIPDined on 13/7/2014local to me and always have a nice meal here. good food and good service again, had friends from overseas here and took them along and they loved it also.Special Features:
- wonderful, as always!foodgaloreVIPDined on 15/6/2014My boyfriend and I took our Mum's here for a special Sunday Lunch. The restaurant itself is beautiful and the staff are always great and so friendly. The Sunday lunch was perfectly cooked and very reasonably priced - we couldn't fit in a pudding but the puddings looked wonderful. Highly recommend this charming restaurant - I have never had anything less than a fabulous experience there.Special Features:
- Good Food and venueBrasserie01Dined on 13/6/2014Whilst looking on the website for a nice place to eat, we read the reviews on open table - these proved to be very accurate. Loved the venue and loved the location. The food was excellent and service was also good - although the waitress did get confused at one stage when she presented us with the bill whilst we were still eatingSpecial Features:
- Lovely Place!StoneyDined on 2/6/2014My partner and I popped in for a quick bite before going to the Picturehouse next door. The staff are warm and welcoming but so efficient taking careful note of our movie time so we could fill our tums and roll next door without missing the intro! Oysters were a real treat while we waited for our main courses of smoked haddock with colcanon and spatchcock chicken which were all beautifully cooked. All washed down with a glass of champagne and a great craft lager. This is our second visit here and cannot wait to go back. A real gem in Greenwich!Special Features:
- Worth a VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/6/2014Very accommodating - Plates of food are huge , well cooked . Good service . Friendly staff . Would definitely go again . Well worth a visit in Greenwich .Special Features:
- Wonderful PlaceStoneyDined on 22/5/2014Great food, warm and efficient service and cosy atmosphere. A lovely dining experience from start to finish.Special Features:
- Seems to be going downhillAllyBVIPDined on 11/5/2014The last few times ive eaten here ive been a little disappointed. The food is generally great (although last visit a steak was very overcooked and had to be returned) however recently the service has been patchy - staff seem to take a long time to take inital orders, and drinks take a while to come even when the restaurant is not that busy. I hope the management takes note of this trend and rectifies this and returns this to the great place it once was. And bring back the Haggis on toast.Special Features:
- Good foodRm3011Dined on 1/5/2014This is the first time I went here, as a part of a business dinner. Really good food. We were considerably delayed but the staff were kind enough to adjust us. Food was very well cooked, high quality. Will happily go back again.Special Features:
- Good servicekkzzDined on 27/4/2014Had been to The Rivington a few times with friends and generally had enjoyed the food and service there. This time went there again with a couple of friends. Both friends ordered medium to well done lamp chops. When my friends complained to the waitress that the lamp chops served were well done rather than medium to well done, she spoke to the manager and immediately replaced the lamp chops. In the end, she apologised again and took the lamp chops off from the bill. Were little bit disappointed at the beginning. But the good service and the replacement were of good standard. Overall, still happy customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyFoodieDined on 6/4/2014Decided to go to Greenwich for a meal instead of the same old stuff in the o2, before a concert. Excellent choice. Waitress was more than helpful when I asked questions and went out of the way to find out where the bread had come from. Starter of beetroot was delicious and so was my pie and heritage carrots. My friend loved her fish and chips too. Would definitely recommend for a pre o2 meal. All the buses go to the o2 from there anyway!Special Features:
- A good night outTomthetasterDined on 29/3/2014Had a lovely meal out last week at the Rivington. The food was lovely, especially pudding and the staff were very willing to help and be of service. It was however a little dark in the restaurant, but they may have just been where we were placed up against a well? A nice evening out somewhere wich also boasted an impressive list of Gins for a pre meal drink!Special Features:
- Always worth a visitSarahVIPDined on 25/3/2014We had a lovely meal here as usual, but I do have two minor complaints. Firstly, my cod, which was supposed to come with cockles, came with prawns (with no explanation or apology). Secondly, the bread that is supposed to come before the meal arrived half way through. Nonetheless, this was cancelled out by the fact they do cocktails made with top-shelf spirits for £10 on a Tuesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but too slow service.gutbucketDined on 9/3/2014Had to wait an hour for our food. Manager was appropriately apologetic and made suitable compensation for the delay. Did not ,however, detract from a pleasant eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for an early dinner beforeDanmcDined on 19/2/2014Went for an early dinner before attending the 02 nearby! Lovely surroundings,nice atmosphere! The spicy parsnip soup with homemade bread was outstanding, followed by Duck , cooked to absolute perfection! I will definitely eat here again and recommend to anyone visiting the Greenwich area!Special Features:
- Fab restaurantSuzyqDined on 8/2/2014We went here as part of a birthday treat for my husband. We decided to stay in Greenwich and after researching the restaurants in the area, this one came out the winner. We were not disappointed in any way. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was vibrant. The service also was very good. I would definitely recommend it to anybody visiting the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely recommend!Luv2eatDined on 8/2/2014I've been to both Greenwich & Shoreditch restaurants and both offered a superb evening. The food was lovely and I only booked the second time round as food was so good the first time! I only marked the service down slightly as it was busy and it took a little while for food but other than that the service was very good overall! If you are hungry the Red Devon Chicken is a filling meal good portion size and the stuffing is one of the best I've tasted! I will definitely be returning and would recommend to anyone who enjoys their food.Special Features:
- Early SupperdonnaVIPDined on 8/2/2014We both chose the Chicken and leek pie, when it arrived was found to be mainly pastry - disappointing from what is usually an excellent restaurant.
- Back on formmartin2802VIPDined on 28/1/2014After a bit of what we thought was a blip, the Rivington seems to be back on good form. The mixed beets, pickled walnuts and goats cheese salad was a very tasty starter. I then went for the half Devon Red chicken - quite a plateful but it was so tasty that I couldn't help but finish it! We polished off with the chocolate truffles - perfect with a coffee! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wondeful suckling pig feastfoodgaloreVIPDined on 11/1/2014I went to the Rivington with 24 friends for a suckling pig feast to celebrate my birthday. From start to finish, the whole evening was wonderful and the staff took wonderful care of us. I really can't recommend the restaurant enough. The environment is beautiful, the cocktails are made with passion and care, the wine list is fantastic and very reasonably priced, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable about their menu and the food is outstanding. If anyone fancies a treat then the suckling pig feast is for you!! If you are just popping into Greenwich then this is the place to grab brunch, lunch or dinner (the burgers are amazing) and if you live in Greenwich and haven't been here yet then please go - you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a night of it with a filmNunfedDined on 22/12/2013Within the same building as the Greenwich Picture House this is ideal of a good (if pricey) meal out before or after a film. If like us you have small children and even getting out to see a film together is a special occasion then this is the place for you. Quite expensive, but good food and a lovely ambience in this restaurant. Our 2 course meal with a glass of wine came to £65. Food is modern British, devilled kidneys, steaks, sausage & mash etc with some tasty traditional puddings. If you fancy something less formal (and cheaper) there is a Pizza Express a few doors down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful fish-friendly atmosphereMatusevicDined on 7/12/2013Went here with my wife for her birthday. She's gluten free and they made every effort to make things wheat free for her. The restaurant was nicely laid out, plenty of room to move about, without feeling quiet. We both ended up having a fish based meal which were both lovely, had some very nice cocktails, fantastic starters and a great cheese board. Staff are very friendly and keep you feeling looked after without pressure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was nice, but too noisy!!CraigHVIPDined on 6/12/2013Went back to the Rivington after a poor food experience earlier in the summer. Whilst the food and service were near enough faultless, the evening was rather spoilt by a very large and boisterous Xmas party going on upstairs. Given the layout of the restaurant, I would have preferred the courtesy of a call from the restaurant in advance to let patrons know that approx. 30 people would be having a party upstairs!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and Miss, but hits are abig hitWinstonDined on 9/11/2013We had breakfast at the Rivington and most people ordered poached eggs which were cooked to perfection and with gorgeous free-range eggs. However the scrambled egg was bizarre and would not recommend. However, the staff were happy to replace the scrambled eggs with poached so all was well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1414 reviews are from the The Rivington Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Theatre offerSarahVIPDined on 20/10/2013We came to the Rivington because of the offer with the Greenwich theatre ticket. The waiter immediately told us it wasn't a good offer and we should just order from the menu! However when we worked it out it was cheaper. Sadly, the food was not as good as on other occasions.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchLondoner19Dined on 19/10/2013Rivington Bar & Grill - Went for brunch and food was very good. The restaurant itself was very nice, although it wasnt very busy so lacked atmosphere. Would go again, but wouldn't rush back next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchShirleyVIPDined on 13/10/2013Had a lovely (and extremely large) Sunday lunch at The Rivington. Good value with nice surroundings and good service.Special Features:
- Weekend BrunchTasteBuddyDined on 12/10/2013The brunch menu is varied and we both liked the salmon and eggs florentine. The staff were helpful and explained the menu well.Special Features:
- Delicious food as alwaysfoodgaloreVIPDined on 11/10/2013This is my favourite restaurant in Greenwich - absolutely beautiful food and cocktails in a warm but chic environment. Absolutely can't recommend it enough - a real treat in Greenwich town centre.Special Features:
- Extremely poor service and foodFoodluvverDined on 29/9/2013Requested window table, most tables free, we were shown upstairs to an empty floor, It was like sitting in an empty barn . Took 20 mins, much chasing to obtain a drink. Wine did not arrive until after the starters . Food choices limited , sold out at lunch ! Very poor service .
- Pleasant but slowRazzelcatDined on 20/9/2013Waiting staff were very pleasant and helpful but the service was slow. I reckon they had two tables too many to serve as the tables were a bit squashed in. Pre dinner vodka and tonic was only a minute or so before the starter because we'd waited so long. Food was good, can't complain about that. I will go again but not sure it would be for that special occasion until the tables/waiting time gets sorted. This is a great place for Saturday brunch when sitting at the bar, can't knock that.Special Features:
- Reliably goodjangoDined on 28/8/2013Food delicious as usual with charming service. I had potted shrimps on toast (tasty and generous) followed by two starters - grilled sardines and a beetroot and cheese salad. I enjoyed it all and felt I'd made a perfect choice. Hot day so drank Meantime pale ale which was light and refreshing. Breakfast menu looks tempting but never tried it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.