The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company
The Rooftop Restaurant, Waterside
Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6BBNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rsc.org.uk/eat
- Phone: 01789403449
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30AM - 4:30PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30PM - 9:30PM.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Executive Chef: Nick Funnell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Public Transit: The town of Stratford Upon Avon is serviced by local rail links from London, Birmingham and further afield, while numerous bus services are available for local visitors. Taxis are also readily available.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Bridge Foot Public Car Park is situated a short walk from the restaurant, and there is metre parking along Waterside and many of the adjoining roads. Parking can be a problem at peak times, so please allow plenty of time to find a space before joining us.
A word from The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company
Enjoy the very best of British food in relaxed, contemporary and stylish surroundings with stunning panoramic views from the third floor of the Royal Shakespeare Company's theatres in Stratford-upon-Avon. Our informal yet striking dining room is unlike any other in the Midlands, with a terrace looking out onto the River Avon and surrounding countryside – the perfect spot for summer eating and drinking al fresco. To complement the views, a simply prepared and beautifully cooked menu sits comfortably alongside a wine list packed with the best the Old and New World have to offer. You don't need to see a show to eat at the Rooftop Restaurant, just an appetite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company - Best restaurants in Stratford-Upon-Avon ›
The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company reviews from OpenTable diners
902 reviews since 24 May 2014
pre/post theatre (762)special occasions (275)fit for foodies (225)good vegetarian options (134)afternoon tea (118)romance (112)disabled access (100)outstanding value (96)sunday lunch (87)outdoor eating (70)business meals (69)brunch (57)group bookings (46)child friendly (44)Show More
- fit for a kingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/9/2014A pre-theatre booking with the promise that we would be in our seats in The Swan well before curtain up. We were and without any rush or fuss. Overall, a great experience for a special occasion. Bravo "Rooftop". Bravo RSC. We fully intend to visit again and again.Special Features:
- Great location & FoodKimmiDined on 13/9/2014We arrived a little early for our table and were a little worried about how quiet it seemed. So we enjoyed a very nice cocktail from the bar, sat outside and took in the great views and lovely weather. We then realised the reason for the quietness was a change in service from pre theatre to evening diners. We were sat in our own lilttle secluded corner overlooking the river which was beautiful. Food and wine was excellent. There are only 2 negatives that i can draw from our experience, the first being that the lighting was motion sensored.... so the lights behind us kept flicking on and off. (bright to pitch black) and the second that time between courses was a little quick. Other than that great value for the quality. Thorouhly brilliant.Special Features:
- Too few serversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014The food and atmosphere at the Rooftop were both very good. The service was mostly acceptable - while the attitude and intent of servers was clearly very good, they were simply stretched too thin. My primary server was taking care of so many tables in addition to mine that she was nearly running from table to table. The other servers looked harried.
- Wonderful food, excellent serviceallyluvs2go2ashowDined on 13/9/2014Would recommend the rooftop restaurant at the RSC before seeing a show. The service was excellent they were very attentive ensuring the meal was prepared in a timely fashion without seeming rushed. The food was really delicious and there was an excellent choice which suited all of us.Special Features:
- keep it simplerTimonDined on 13/9/2014Some attempts to use more unusual ingredients and flavour combinations did not always work that well though others worked well. It would probably pay you to stick to basics for at least a few menu items and be more imaginative with the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect before the theatreChasDined on 12/9/2014Good choice of food and good quality - we particularly liked the locally smoked salmon.. Good choice of wines by the glass - as well by the bottle. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Excellent views over Stratford. Recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent service and super foodQuerkafleagDined on 6/9/2014From the moment we arrived until we left the staff were very attentive and made us feel special. The food was delicious and very well presented. We liked it so much that we booked a birthday lunch for 9 for November!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late wineTeacupDined on 6/9/2014Food arrived promptly, but we had to remind the waiting staff about our drinks, our bottle of wine finally arrived after finishing our starters and after the main meal arrived. Would of been nice to have a glass of wine with our starters. Food excellent as usual.Special Features:
- Lovely!SimonJDined on 6/9/2014A lovely relaxed meal between two theatre shows at the RSC. Staff friendly and efficient and the food very good indeed. It also wasn't as pricey as we'd expected. Oh and lovely cocktails too!Special Features:
- DerekJDined on 4/9/2014We had a memorable evening at the Roof Top Restaurant.... everything was excellent and it was a perfect place for our 21st wedding anniversary meal.... we also enjoyed Henry IV Pt 1 the following night....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful evening mealcelebrationDined on 4/9/2014Wonderful setting, very pleasant staff, excellent steak mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-show dining venueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/9/2014Nicely situated restaurant overlooking the River Avon and the RSC theatre environs. We enjoyed a relaxing pre-show dinner with good quality food at a reasonable price. The menu was varied and offered a particularly good range of choices. We would definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- Great LambRCP1Dined on 4/9/2014The ambiance was okay, even though we were not able to dine al fresco. The staff was very pleasant, if not the most available. The menu is limited, but I had the best lamb I have ever tasted, and I live in a part of the world where lamb is quite commonly eaten. In our case, we were eating post-performance, and it was a good way to do it. This is a very nice way to do dinner-theater.Special Features:
- Excellent pre-theatre meal &serviceThreeMerryWivesDined on 4/9/2014Lovely restaurant, food delicious, service pleasantly efficient. If you've had less than this please give another chance as we did. Staffing problems, reflected in some previous poor reviews, seem to have been totally resolved. We have already booked again. Eating here pre-theatre makes for a delightful relaxing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review children policy for dinnersilver1Dined on 3/9/2014The food and service was excellent for dinner and better than expected. The only criticism is that there should be no very young children in the evening and the guy next to us was wearing shortsSpecial Features:
- convenient for RSCSundaylunchersDined on 1/9/2014Tasty meal in a great setting. Remember to book early to get a table with a view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyPandyDined on 30/8/2014A lovely setting, the perfect mix of culture and food. The food was very good, nice staff and a special place. Try. And go when they are not too busy as our main course took 45 minutes to arrive.Special Features:
- RooftoptonyVIPDined on 29/8/2014Very good and geared up for the theatre! Great service, food is very good blue and very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jus perfectoldmaryDined on 28/8/2014I chose the restaurant as it was convenient before a play; I was surprised by the quality of the food and the overall efficiency. I would have a meal there any timeSpecial Features:
- great place for a relaxed dinnerTollyDined on 27/8/2014Having attended a matinee performance at the theatre , it was a pleasure to come back in the evening and have a relaxed meal with friends after the evening performance had started. The tables used were those overlooking the river as a less busy time than pre-performance , the waiters were helpful and friendly and the food very enjoyable. As a wheelchair user , it was easy access and no issues with space, so would be very happy to return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/8/2014A most enjoyable pre theatre dinner which added to my overall pleasure in visiting Stratford.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceRod288Dined on 25/8/2014My over-riding memory of my visit to The Rooftop Restaurant was the professionism of the waiting staff. My wife and I were served by three or four young people at different times and each one was excellent: friendly, without being 'over the top'; knowledgeable; and just generally very good at their jobs. Also nice to have a vegetarian option that doesn't involve cheese!Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceMattDined on 23/8/2014Food generally good; pork belly fat not crackled. Service was woeful; pace moved between fast-food like to non-existent - I watched my drink sit on the bar for 10 minutes before collecting myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, view & servers, slowFRgourmetDined on 23/8/2014Excellent food, wonderful view from a window table, However we had booked for 17h30 to be able to appreciate our meal and make curtain time at the theatre at 19h15. Unfortunately, we were still waiting for our main dish beyond 18h30. We were told it was a problem in the kitchen, but I'm sure we had simply been forgotten. This is too bad as we truly enjoyed sitting up high, looking down on the park and rooftops below, and the duck paté was extraordinary. Unfortunately, I had to gobble down the main dish, and therefore cannot say much for it and there was no time for desert.Special Features:
- An evening treatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 23/8/2014A splendid view, fine food, friendly service, all in time for the evening theatre performance.Special Features:
- H.W.H. (N. Wales)FalstafflookalikeDined on 23/8/2014Good food. Attentive and very helpful service. And the Bard to follow. What more to look forward to, next time?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-theatre lunch and dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 23/8/2014"Very civilised!" was our mutual feeling over our pre-lunch glasses of chilled white wine at our window table (and many thanks for the latter, with its wonderful view of the river, the swans and the bridges). The food was excellent, and we especially recommend the sea-bass and the liver - both amongst the best we have ever had. The strawberry Eton mess was beautifully light and refreshing. The restaurant is light and airy, and the staff welcoming, friendly and attentive We greatly look forward to another pre-play visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my experienceChefdeCriticDined on 22/8/2014I was rather impressed with the food but unfortunatly i ordered a fillet steak and it came out rare when i asked for medium rare. I did ask a waitress and they did take it back which i was pleasent about and they brought a new one out to me. Overall i would reccomend the restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect setting for early supperTigerDined on 21/8/2014We had an early supper after watching the matinee "Two Gentlemen of Verona" . Very good food and wine in a wonderful setting overlooking the river. This gave us the perfect setting to discuss the merits of the play with our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special placeDeliciousDined on 21/8/2014We very much enjoyed our visit to The Rooftop Restaurant and our table near to the window was a lovely surprise. The food was well presented, with one exception (see private note below) and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, tight timing at lunchWillfanDined on 21/8/2014The food, ambiance, view and theatre occasion all make this a great restaurant but despite excellent waiting staff the food takes too long to arrive for a comfortable pre-performance meal. Perhaps the food could be less ambitious giving patrons time to digest and enjoy the menu more. All praise to the waiting people - friendly, helpful and totally rushed off their feet to do justice to the lunch/dinner. Best eat there as an occasion on its own, not as a prelude to Shakespeare.Special Features:
- Good food but terrible serviceTimboDined on 21/8/2014Having booked to see a matinee performance in the theatre at 1:15pm, we booked the restaurant for lunch beforehand. We booked at 11:30am to have as much time as possible before the performance. We made the staff aware when booking that we were attending the matinee that day, mentioned it when being seated and had our tickets and program on the table throughout the meal. It took an hour from being seated to getting our main courses. After finishing, we sat for 20 minutes before anyone cleared our plates, at which point it was too late to have dessert or coffee, so we asked for the bill. Eventually it came but nobody came to take payment and we had to go to the desk to pay. The food, when it came, was very good but poor service ruined it.Special Features:
- ExcellentPauliBrewDined on 20/8/2014Booked for our pre-show Wedding Anniversary meal and we were not disappointed. A lovely river view table, friendly and helpful staff, excellent food and even an "interval" pudding - Eton Mess with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate around the side of the plate! All in all, a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre diningMartinGlosDined on 20/8/2014For some reason we had never previously considered eating in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre restaurant before a performance. Bad mistake, we hace learned. The food was great, the facilities good, but the service was absolutely terrific - we really enjoyed the meal and we did not have to go far to our seats. The only danger was the possibility of falling asleep during the performance - but the company made sure that it was no real danger. A perfect evening, and one of the best days out we've had for a long timeSpecial Features:
- pre and post theatremagisterDined on 19/8/2014Pre Theatre our food was not hot, and went cold quickly because of cold plates/presumably to speed things up?! This was not the case the previous evening at 7.30 when our total experience was much better.As we had booked for 5.30 pre theatre there was really no shortage of time. We felt it necessary to request side vegetables since we were only having 2 courses and the portions were quite small. Cold chicken is still edible but not cold cod.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theatre restaurant fits the billgrannyvetteDined on 19/8/2014Our pre-theatre dinner was, as usual, delicious and served in exemplary timely fashion by smiling, helpful staff. The view over the river and beautiful Warwickshire countryside always adds value to the occasion.Special Features:
- Food with a viewArlequinoDined on 19/8/2014Lunch at the RSC Restaurant...what a lovely view! And the food was really great. A lovely soup, followed by a delicious little schnitzel of chicken for me, and superb Cornish mackerel, followed by tender calves' liver for the other one. Then steamed sponge pudding for one, and a delightful Eton mess for the other. Service was efficient and unobtrusive, and the whole experience excellent. Cannot wait to go again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/8/2014The service was excellent and the ambiance The food did not live up to this. One veggie disappointed that alternatives both potato based and too heavy for summer eating. Not enough accompanying vegetables or salad and those otherwise extra. Tiny portion of ice-cream. Wouldn't recommend other than for a coffee to enjoy the surroundings. Could do better.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable MealzurigaDined on 18/8/2014We were delighted with the service and standard of our dinner at the Rooftop Restaurant. It's the perfect place for a pre-theatre dinner at the RSC in Stratford. Our food was delicious!Special Features:
- GourmetDined on 16/8/2014Pleasant setting, nice staff, good food, good value.Special Features: