The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company
The Rooftop Restaurant, Waterside
Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6BBNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rsc.org.uk/eat
- Phone: 01789403449
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30AM - 4:30PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30PM - 9:30PM.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Executive Chef: Nick Funnell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Public Transit: The town of Stratford Upon Avon is serviced by local rail links from London, Birmingham and further afield, while numerous bus services are available for local visitors. Taxis are also readily available.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Bridge Foot Public Car Park is situated a short walk from the restaurant, and there is metre parking along Waterside and many of the adjoining roads. Parking can be a problem at peak times, so please allow plenty of time to find a space before joining us.
A word from The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company
Enjoy the very best of British food in relaxed, contemporary and stylish surroundings with stunning panoramic views from the third floor of the Royal Shakespeare Company's theatres in Stratford-upon-Avon. Our informal yet striking dining room is unlike any other in the Midlands, with a terrace looking out onto the River Avon and surrounding countryside – the perfect spot for summer eating and drinking al fresco. To complement the views, a simply prepared and beautifully cooked menu sits comfortably alongside a wine list packed with the best the Old and New World have to offer. You don't need to see a show to eat at the Rooftop Restaurant, just an appetite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company - Best restaurants in Stratford-Upon-Avon ›
The Rooftop Restaurant -The Royal Shakespeare Company reviews from OpenTable diners
878 reviews since 25 October 2013
pre/post theatre (743)special occasions (268)fit for foodies (206)good vegetarian options (120)romance (110)afternoon tea (109)outstanding value (96)disabled access (94)sunday lunch (85)outdoor eating (64)business meals (61)brunch (51)group bookings (43)child friendly (40)Show More
- Excellent but for one thingManueldeNavarreDined on 22/10/2014The food quality was excellent, presentation too was super and service was friendly even though it was an exceptionally busy pre theatre period. My only criticism - the portions were rather too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little to recommend itTheExplorerDined on 18/10/2014Other than its view across Stratford there is little to recommend the rooftop as a restaurant. The menu promised something that was just not delivered, without exception the food was bland and in one case strange (diced carrot in a Ham Hock Terrine - a cheap filler perhaps!?). The service was ok, although you know it's not genuine when you are asked if your starters are ok before you've even picked up your cutlery. In my opinion this restaurant takes it's (literally) captive audience for granted and does not feel it has to make an effort with the food to draw custom - We wont be going back.
- Excellentdirestraits291Dined on 18/10/2014I love this restaurant, fantastic food, excellent service and good valueSpecial Features:
- AmazingSiDyerDined on 18/10/2014well I must say the food was amazing, the staff were friendly polite and made my partner and I night magical, I planned and did propose to my girlfriend! I was in contact through e-mail with Laura the hostess manager to arrange for champagne after I had asked the question and went the extra mile to even take pictures.... The food was outstanding for the price will definitely be going back and recommend it to everyone even if the are not seeing a short!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slick as always!Mum2RunDined on 18/10/2014Always great for pre-theatre, service excellent and food was interesting, not to mention great valueSpecial Features:
- Great Food and great serviceSusanneHDined on 18/10/2014Visited for a pre-theatre lunch; very interesting selection of items of dishes (hard to choose). Local and seasonal produce. food very tasty and swift and pleaant service so we had plenty of time for lunch and getting to our seats. Thorougly recommended.Special Features:
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/10/2014A good meal and an enjoyable experience. Very attentive service, no rush to get to the performancne.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014I thought the restaurant was well laid out. The service was top notch. Greeted with a smile as soon as we walk in and taken to our seats. Food was exceptional. And extremely good value for the price. I will definitely be eating here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dine2togetherDined on 17/10/2014Discreet, efficient and friendly service from all staff. Wide range of options and special requests to take into account health needs not viewed as a problem at all. Food beautifully presented and flavours subtly matched and complimented one another. Food very fresh and the food itself allowed to shine. Portion sizes generous and fit for real people. As a vegetarian I had pretty much given up trying to eat out in England, my experience at the Rooftop Restaurant has very much restored my faith and I have already recommended to others.Special Features:
- Superb foodMinibreakerDined on 13/10/2014Went for a pre-theatre supper and found the restaurant very good value, with efficient service and a good choice of wines and drinks. The food was outstanding, with generous portions and beautifully presented. The starters were especially impressive. Exceeded our expectations and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or to go again. The views would have been impressive, but it was very wet and overcast! Still, it WAS a very nice setting. Only minor gripe would be that we were seated and given menus but our server then left the table before asking if we would like an aperitif, which we did - we didn't want to be drinking that drink with the meal. We did subsequently order one, but it's nice to have that while you peruse the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent food with an amazing viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2014Excellent food, really great staff and amazing location. The design of the restaurant means that whether you want a quiet romantic diner or a fun group booking the place can accommodate. My wife and I enjoyed one of the best evenings out for years. The food was excellent and the staff very helpful and knowledgeable not only about the food and wine but about future menu changes, events and other facilities in the theatre. Will definitely return and can safely say that this is my new favourite restaurant. Next time will probably go to the theatre as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great theatre; great restaurant43intheduskDined on 11/10/2014From the first efficient greeting to the payment of the bill, our experience couldn't be faulted. The serving staff were keen and enthusiastic, the food good in presentation and content, and the wine, though not cheap, wasn't overpriced. All four of us enjoyed ourselves and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday treatthongordamienDined on 11/10/2014I was having a birthday treat, having two plays in one day with dinner in between and the experience did not disappoint. The service was as good as ever, friendly attentive staff always adds to an occasion. We did not feel rushed despite the business of the restaurant and the food was good.Special Features:
- Our pre-theatre dinnerJennyDined on 8/10/2014We booked, allowing plenty of time before the play started. The restaurant was very busy with others also dining to a deadline. We had just a few minutes spare to find our seats. But the staff are very aware of this deadline and coped admirably with this pressure without looking frazzled. The service, as always, was first class. Another memorable meal in a fantastic setting. Looking forward to our next trip. This mini-break in Stratford was to celebrate a wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Excellent valueJamieDined on 7/10/2014The service was quietly attentive and efficient and only topped by the excellent standard of the food.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre Dinner, 6/10/ 2014PickyDined on 6/10/2014Booking arrangements very efficient, with email reminder 24 hours beforehand. Staff attentive and making sure that meal is served in good time before theatre performance., with a need to rush. The ambience was very pleasing, and the view delightfu. The quality of food, in my opinion, slightly disappointing; eg, My Parma Ham & Pear Salad - ham a little dry, and pear not really quite ripe enough. Main course - Lamb dish - a little lacking in excitement, but tender and very well presented. The Calves Liver was delicious. Desserts were excellent. Would certainly return here as the whole experience was most relaxing.Special Features:
- Our daughters 21st Birthday Lunchleedog78Dined on 6/10/2014All of the staff were friendly and made us feel very welcome. Service was excellent and a great view over the River. Extra effort was made as we had booked stating it was a celebration lunch for our daughters 21st birthday. Our meals were all beautifully presented and delicious. We will certainly return and recommend the Rooftop to our friends. Many thanksSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and ambienceLizzydDined on 4/10/2014Food and service was excellent and in lovely surroundings. Was especially pleased to be able to get fresh mint tea.Special Features:
- Superb Service, totally unexpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014A totally unexpected experience that was booked as we were going to the evening RST performance. The service was possible the best I have had closely followed by the food and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceLSJ1Dined on 3/10/2014Everything was exceptional, from the atmosphere to the service, to the cocktails to the food. The price for 2 or 3 courses was very reasonable, lower than I would expect for the quality. Sparkling water is included, which is a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a good placeeaterDined on 3/10/2014Super place brilliant views excellent food, attentive staff what more could be wanted?Special Features:
- A pre-theatre treatAnnieroseDined on 3/10/2014Delicious food with plenty of choice, and excellent service. The portons aren't huge (and I do feel that at this price there shouldn't be any need to have to order side dishes) but this is a good thing because it means you have room for all three courses. Service is impeccable, presentation and flavours superb and it is a lovely place for a pre-theatre treat. My only complaint is the 10% service charge which is sneakily added to the bill. NO! DON'T DO THIS!Special Features:
- As you Like IttheatreaddictDined on 2/10/2014You don't have to be a theatre goer to enjoy excellent food & exemplary service at the RSC's rooftop restaurant in Stratford-upon-Avon. The dinner menu includes 3 courses for less than £25 with free bread & free still or sparkling water. They also have a good wine list with some excellent wines sold by the glass. Last night I enjoyed a tasty salad of parma ham with peaches, buffalo mozzarella, rocket & honey with home made bread, followed by beautifully pink melt in the mouth calves liver with celeriac puree, confit carrots & onion jus, with a side of lovely al dente, sugar snap peas, spring greens & broccoli. I had just enough room left for a wicked tiramisu to round off my meal. It won't be long before I'll be making a return visit.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner/theatre experienceJRmanxwoolDined on 30/9/2014This was a birthday gift for our parents, their comments were: 'Our meal was great last night and we had seat by the window overlooking the Avon. The waiter whispered happy birthday when we sat down and my dessert plate had it written on in chocolate too. The production was great with a large cast- it was a truly memorable evening.'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative and varied menukatpat23Dined on 27/9/2014My husband and I enjoyed a lovely Saturday lunchtime meal before a matinee. He was able to order a 2-course meal, while I nibbled on his and chose a wonderful cheese board. We were shown to a table that overlooked the river and distant fields, and started off with complimentary bottle of sparkling water. The staff was very attentive and friendly, though I wish they had asked us if we had an RSC membership so we remembered to get our 10% discount!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddieBDined on 26/9/2014We love this restaurant. It completes a theatre visit for us. Good, always spoilt for choice, good service by delightful staff and a wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- A Truly Wonderful ExperienceCornwall16Dined on 26/9/2014It was a perfect start to the evening at the theatre. From entering the restaurant the atmosphere was vibrant and welcoming. Although the service was slightly slow (which made us aware of being late for the start of the performance) it was made up by the absolutely delicious food and wine. The staff were excellent friendly and professional. Would most certainly recommend this dining experience but would book a table allowing good time before the performance to fully appreciate the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014Portions were small and service either too fast or too slow.Special Features:
- Golden WeddingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014We arranged for a small group to have lunch on our 50th and was most impressed. Everyone enjoyed the occasion. It was particularly nice that the restarant was open all day which meant that tere was no pressure to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eat3mealsDined on 25/9/2014First class, cannot be bettered. Food, service, surroundings and ambience of the highest standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre TheatreBillHDined on 24/9/2014They are clearly very well managed to deal with the particular requirement of a good meal served quickly.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/9/2014We had a lovely relaxed meal in pleasing surroundings. Staff were attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, views and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/9/2014A friend and myself booked in for the three-course pre-theatre menu and were not disappointed! Our waiter was attentive and helpful, the food absolutely delicious (as was the wine) and the views out over the river just lovely. I would highly recommend The Rooftop Restaurant to anyone visiting Stratford-upon-Avon!Special Features:
- Good overallFoodloverDined on 22/9/2014Service was a bit slow, seated next to an open door and it was a chilly evening. Food was well presented and tasted ok but not spectacular. Orderd a rare steak which came medium well done, lamb my partner orderd was over cooked. Dessert was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebratory DinnerPrimediningDined on 19/9/2014It was our 5th Wedding Anniversary, and I wanted somewhere different to celebrate that we hadn't tried before. The reception, and service we received were perfect we were not rushed and our wishes were granted as requested. The menu was extensive offering several choices of each course plus side dishes, we chose 2 and 3 courses between us each course was served quickly and we wee given plenty of time to eat comfortably. The staff were very attentive, and helpful, taking photo's for us between courses. I would certainly return again and recommend this restaurant to my friends and family.Special Features:
- Great valueTheatredinerDined on 19/9/2014The food was very good, served by delightful staff in one of the loveliest settings in England. Extremely good all round experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/9/2014Artsy food that was delicious as well. Perfect pre theatre dinnerSpecial Features:
- fit for a kingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/9/2014A pre-theatre booking with the promise that we would be in our seats in The Swan well before curtain up. We were and without any rush or fuss. Overall, a great experience for a special occasion. Bravo "Rooftop". Bravo RSC. We fully intend to visit again and again.Special Features:
- Great location & FoodKimmiDined on 13/9/2014We arrived a little early for our table and were a little worried about how quiet it seemed. So we enjoyed a very nice cocktail from the bar, sat outside and took in the great views and lovely weather. We then realised the reason for the quietness was a change in service from pre theatre to evening diners. We were sat in our own lilttle secluded corner overlooking the river which was beautiful. Food and wine was excellent. There are only 2 negatives that i can draw from our experience, the first being that the lighting was motion sensored.... so the lights behind us kept flicking on and off. (bright to pitch black) and the second that time between courses was a little quick. Other than that great value for the quality. Thorouhly brilliant.Special Features:
- Too few serversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014The food and atmosphere at the Rooftop were both very good. The service was mostly acceptable - while the attitude and intent of servers was clearly very good, they were simply stretched too thin. My primary server was taking care of so many tables in addition to mine that she was nearly running from table to table. The other servers looked harried.