The Roslin Beach Hotel Restaurant
10-12 Thorpe Esplanade,
Southend on Sea, SS1 3BGNeighbourhood:
EnglishPrice: £25 and under
The Roslin Beach Hotel Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roslinhotel.com/
- Phone: 01702 586375
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday, 7:00AM-10:00AM; Sundays, 8:30AM - 10:30AM. Lunch: Monday - Saturday, 12:00PM - 3:00PM; Sundays, 12:00PM - 5:00PM. Dinner: Monday - Saturday, 6:00PM - 9:30PM; Sundays, 7:00PM - 9:30PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, English
- Executive Chef: Wayne Hawkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether christenings celebrations, birthday, anniversaries, retirement or a particular family event, the Roslin excels special occasions- with provision to host anything from fancy dress to black tie & ball gowns, with any dietary requirements to suit the occasion.
- Private Party Contact: George Castro 01702586375
- Entertainment: Small gatherings to over 100 guests can be catered for in our private function suite. Live entertainment can be arranged or our resident DJ will make any party a night to remember. A full complement of buffet or table dining is available.
- Public Transit: By Bus, Number 9 to and from Southend-on-Sea runs along the seafront, passing our door. By Rail It is a short taxi ride to both Thorpe Bay Station and to Southend Victoria. To explore further afield, you can travel to London in just 45minutes from either station.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Secured private parking is available at the rear of the hotel. Limited spaces at the front and side.
A word from The Roslin Beach Hotel Restaurant
The Restaurant at the Roslin Beach Hotel has become one of the premier dining establishments in Southend-on-Sea and the surrounding area. Invite your senses to socialise and dine, where the restaurant has been designed to create the perfect atmosphere for every occasion. The restaurant boasts panoramic views of the Thames Estuary, and offers ambiance and worldly flavors with a bespoke menu to delight every palette.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Roslin Beach Hotel Restaurant - Best restaurants in Southend-On-Sea ›
The Roslin Beach Hotel Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (63)afternoon tea (40)sunday lunch (38)outdoor eating (35)romance (29)fit for foodies (21)business meals (17)group bookings (15)child friendly (14)brunch (14)disabled access (13)outstanding value (13)good vegetarian options (4)pre/post theatre (3)Show More
- Excellent DiningG6491Dined on 25/11/2014It is very difficult in this area to find a restaurant for lunch time dining that offers easy parking, good service and fine dining. The Roslin fits the bill on all of these aspects. I would thoroughly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCarioDined on 16/11/2014Took visiting friends for Sunday lunch as most carvery options are pretty poor and you can't get a decent Sunday lunch in Leigh with such a nice view. Clean, efficient, nice menu choice though the vegetarian among us was down to mushroom risotto - as always seems the case. Look, I've no truck with the non carnivores either but, please, a little imagination? That said, she said it was a nice one but still a mushroom risotto.... Outstanding bits - fresh whitebait to start, lovely; homemade mint sauce with the lamb, truly better than I've ever had before - anywhere, shame the sauce boat was practically empty when we got it but I can see why! Don't know how they cook their roasties - not super crisp (shame) but what a fantastic flavour (so forgiven). Didn't have pudding - too full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely venue let down by foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/10/2014Ive always loved The Roslin. Lovely venue, great decor, cosy, warm and normally great food. Ive had dinner there, paid for elderly friends to have afternoon tea, and also attended a wedding reception there. I chose to go there for a dinner date. I couldnt fault the service or the place itself. The staff were very friendly. The food let it down. We both had squid to start. It was presented nicely but tasted very bland. I had the risotto for my main. It was nice. My date had steak. It appeared very fatty and tough. He was struggling to cut it, and it was meant to be medium rare. Shame. Im not one to say anything, plus I was on a date!!!! Hope the food improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatdiningdollyDined on 12/10/2014We had a Sunday lunch to celebrate a family birthday. Service was great with the opportunity to order before we were seated at our table. Those of us who had lamb found it tough. The children in the party were well catered for but there was no offer of iced water and we paid dearly for a bottle of water for the children. I thought the cost was expensive so it's not somewhere I would go on a regular basis.Special Features:
- DisappointedEssexgirlDined on 2/10/2014I have been to the Roslin for afternoon tea and lunch a few times but this time the food at afternoon tea seemed to have shrunk in size and quality. Unfortunately the waiter we had did not seem very amiable which was a shame.
- Great place to eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 19/9/2014We went just this weekend and ordered the sea bream and sea bass which was cooked to our tastes and also the scallops were done really well just how we like them. The service was really good, and the waiter we had was very courteous, though we did wait quite a bit the second time we tried to order as we weren't ready the first time, but that was probably down to us talking too much :) There was a lightning storm outside which usually is quite exciting adding to the ambience especially when the lights went out, thankfully all tables are candle lit so they had it covered. However for some reason the fire alarm kept going off which was really annoying, and kept making me think something had caught fire, so I'm marking it down for that.Special Features:
- Evening mealtwentyfiveDined on 19/9/2014We booked a meal for our 25th wedding anniversary on recommendation from a friend and we were not disappointed. The meal, surroundings and service were fantastic and the table overlooking the sea was perfect even though we had a thunder and lightening storm to view!Special Features:
- yummmmmmyDined on 19/9/2014was treated to lunch at the Roslin for my birthday. remember the Roslin in the olden days with much affection and was wondering what it would be like now it has been modernised. It was lovely and a great time was had by all. The food was lovely and the service good. I would recommend it thoroughlySpecial Features:
- Amazing afternoon teaRayleighdinerDined on 17/9/2014This was a return visit for afternoon tea & the food & service were better than ever. However, if one was to return again, it would be nice to expect a variation in the menu. Not any great changes but different sandwich fillings would be a start. Having failed to warn the restaurant that we couldn't eat pork, it was lovely of the waitress to pick up on this point when the mini quiche lorraines were left untouched by us. She promptly changed them to vegetarian ones. This type of attention to detail is what makes this hotel stand out! Our tea was refilled without a fuss and it was great to have a selection of herbal teas to choose from. The food was plentiful and delicious and I would heartily recommend that you try it. Well done The Roslin!!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/9/2014I have never had a bad meal here and this one did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- evening meal by the seaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/9/2014Arrived on time were greeted and escorted to table and seated ;expected coat to be taken but had to put on back of chair no biggy but it the small things that make the difference order taken promptly .had to wait a while our waiter advised us he would check how long our starter was going to be,it was a busy Friday night,food very good only concern two bones in my sea bass,certainly would recommend to a friend 3 courses 2 drinks each £110 with service charge for two peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food, stunning viewsDebs68Dined on 10/9/2014I recently treated my mum to a Birthday lunch at The Roslin Beach Hotel. I had heard good things about the restaurant and wasn't disappointed. The quality of the food, beautiful setting and the great, non-intrusive service made it worth spending the extra pennies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family LunchIanMcDined on 7/9/2014Went to The Roslin on Sunday 7 Sept. with family to celebrate parent's 60th wedding Anniversary. Service and food were both very good in quantity and quality. We would definitely go again.Special Features:
- PeccyDined on 2/9/2014We were celebrating our 59th Wedding Anniversary and we felt it was a very nice place to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea ViewsQofQDined on 25/8/2014Delightful service; good fish and poor chips - overcooked and hard Wonderful views of the baySpecial Features:
- Anniversary mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/8/2014We ate here on 23rd Aug . Service and setting were outstanding and food was extremely good. The only reason for not giving the food 5 stars was that we felt the the range on the menu was a little limited if you weren't a fish fan. Having seen a menu on the hotel website it appeared that the menu had a wider choice but this may have been our misunderstanding. Overall though a lovely evening and I would happily recommend this restaurant to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Cream of tea!meleknazDined on 18/8/2014Came for afternoon tea with my best friend and was blown away by the quality of the food and service. There's a sign outside proclaiming the best afternoon tea in Southend - after our meal I'd happily agree! Lots of food - including wonderful macaron, opera cake and a beautiful mini quiche served warm. Lovely dainty sandwiches (beef, salmon and egg) and of course the obligatory luscious scone filled with plump fruit and served with Essex's own Tiptree jam and lashings of clotted cream. Simply wonderful - and that's before you factor in huge sea view while you eat. We'll definitely be going back, was interested to see posters offering short notice discounts on spa treatments - might book one at the same time for the ultimate girlie day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't tell the Chef!ColinDined on 17/8/2014We have dined before and cannot speak highly enough of the excellent standard of food but this time the service fell below the previous experience. A bottle of still water was ordered then forgotten and only arrived after a different member of staff asked if we wanted anymore drinks. I know that Sunday lunches can be busy and stressful but the sight of the young waiter receiving a back massage from the waitress in the bar close to the conservatory is not really acceptable. Then at payment time the bill arrived and despite putting my debit card in open view fifteen minutes passed before I had to remind the waitress that I would like to pay and could she bring over the machine! To add insult to injury 10% service is added to the bill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELY SURROUNDINGSSPECIAL1TREATDined on 10/8/2014I COULD NOT FAULT EATING HERE. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!! THE STAFF ARE ATTENTIVE BUT NOT TOO PUSHY, THEY GIVE JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TIME BETWEEN EACH SERVING. WE WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE SAT AT A TABLE LOOKING OUT TO SEA WHICH WAS LOVELY. I THOUGHT THE WELCOME APPETISERS SERVED BEFORE THE MEAL WERE A NICE TOUCH.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fish and chips by the seaJerprunnerDined on 8/8/2014a little expensive except for the fish and chips for lunch - they were great! Batter lovely and light yum yumI would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding anniversary meallocaldinersDined on 2/8/2014As we live locally and had not eaten dinner at the Roslin before we decided to celebrate our Anniversary there this year. I was happy to see fresh lobster on the menu which was delicious. My husband had the fish and chips which was well presented and he said was very tasty. The desserts were to die for! Vodka Martini cocktail spot on. The staff were very attentive and friendly and the general ambience was good. We would certainly go again and not wait for a special occasion! Only drawback was having to park a road away from venue as car park was full but next time we will take a cab as we live locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We spent a great evening there.WolfgangDined on 1/8/2014The seafood was brilliant and the service outstanding.Special Features:
- CelebrateinstyleDined on 31/7/2014Staff are delightful and their friendly helpful demeanour compliments excellent food and ambience always a feature at The Roslin Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely SundayMrsHDined on 20/7/2014My husband and I were married here 20/07/2013 and returned on our anniversary for Sunday lunch with our two month old daughter. I requested a table with space for my pram and this was done with no problems. They have facilities for baby changing and the venue was easy accessible too. The Sunday lunch was tasty and the service was brilliant. The price of £24.95 for a three course meal - bargain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luncheon for 5 persons.bigbirdclub14Dined on 18/7/2014The restaurant was packed (good for them) very noisy plus the arrival of a wedding party in dribs & drabs. We waited ages to be served at the bar - the bar person was kind & friendly as were all the staff - just not enough staff. We were shown to our table, all very pleasant, but by now the whole place was getting warmer & warmer, the air conditioning can only work if the correct doors are kept closed, so by the time we had eaten two courses we were ready for passing out & had to be moved to have our dessert being placed next to main throughway tables being crammed in to accommodate afternoon tea guests, it was like being in a hot noisy transit café. The batter on the fish so crisp inedible - rest of the food good but overpriced.Special Features:
- Another great meal at the RoslinScrummyDined on 13/7/2014The Roslin never disappoints - we are frequent visitors, but on this occassion through toptable so I thought I would review. Fish dishes were superb and while the cips on the fish and chips option were awful and starchy on this occassion, they are usually fabulous. the staff were very accommodating on such a hot day with two elerly relatives, they switched us around on tables to make them more comfortable despite being very busy. Overall a wonderful afternoonSpecial Features:
- brillianttheresonly1roslinhotelDined on 9/7/2014My experience of the restaurant is outstanding the staff was very friendly on arrival and showed us to our seats they was very thoughtful aswell as polite and very smart and when we asked questions about the food and further bookings they went out of there way to provide us with full answers the service during our meals was outstanding we was always asked if everything was ok and if we needed anything else our drinks was served well and on arrival of our food the food was hot and well presented to a high standardsprice was brilliant and i absoluterly loved my time hereSpecial Features:
- Great food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Food was perfectly cooked and the service was excellent. The only problems I found is the menu is very limited especially for veggies and its quite expensive. Having said that I will be back again soon
- dennieDined on 29/6/2014took parents for sunday lunch they loved it so much booked it for her birthday needed a table for disabled and that was fine 10/10 in everyway service food all excellentSpecial Features:
- Lovely to entertain ClientsMsVentDined on 17/6/2014A great night was had by all! a lovely setting to wine and dine our clients. I shall be recommending my colleagues to entertain and host at the RoslinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedNotpleased1Dined on 15/6/2014I booked a surprise for Father's Day, I also brought 2 bottles of wine one for each my dad and mother, no one knew what they was doing it took 3 waitress that couldn't understand very well told them they had a single drink each, they also tried to get them to pay the bill after. I had to phone from abroad to inform them that I had brought them a bottle each because they didn't know and at £16.95 a bottle someone should have known, when booking this I was told it would be on the table alone with a note saying happy Father's Day, then had no chocolates either. I was highly disappointed as I wanted a nice evening for them both but was completely ruined.
- Afternoon Tea at The RoslinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014I booked this afternoon tea for myself & two friends to celebrate a 60th birthday. The tea was the best one I have had & I would certainly recommend The Roslin to everyone. The food was excellent & there was plenty of tea, well done Jonathan & his team!Special Features:
- roslinMerrinDined on 6/6/2014The service was really poor on this particular night but the food was fantastic although i think it's a bit over priced for Southend. I would recommend as staff were polite and are entitled to have an off night xxI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceBigalogsDined on 6/6/2014Very nice meal and fast service with the food. Waiting staff let the restaurant down. We received items twice and the girl couldn't understand us and couldn't speak English very well. Overall, lovely surroundings and atmosphere. No vegetarian option for the soup either which was disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/6/2014I took my mum for Sunday lunch for her birthday and it was absolutely amazing! We were lucky enough to have a beautiful day and the view out onto the seafront was just outstanding!!Special Features:
- H1hoDined on 25/5/2014My daughter is used to eating in good restaurants as she lives in Abu Dhabi & she was really happy with the food & ambience at the Roslin Beach Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant, excellent value.willgoagainDined on 24/5/2014Unhurried service but good, pleasant staff and efficient. meal was excellent even though we did not have top range meal. always good.Special Features:
- Under-Whelming Birthday DInnerF00dHoundDined on 23/5/2014I took my wife to The Rosilin for her birthday. We'd always heard good things about it but unfortunately, I wasn't blown away. The food is lovely but you can get better for cheaper in Leigh-on-Sea and the sides you get aren't very adventurous. The restaurant as a whole is well decked out and certainly looks the part and the views looking out to sea are fantastic. The major downside was the service. A number of times, we witnessed the waiters bringing over the wrong dish and when my wife asked what the side dishes came with her dinner, the waitress said carrots, broccoli and spinach. When the plate arrived, it was something completely different....Special Features:
- Sea views and nice ambiance.DordeneatsDined on 15/5/2014Lovely surroundings with a sea view. Service very good and varied choices on menu. Nice for special occasions with good atmosphere.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 9/5/2014Our experience of the Jazz Evening last Friday 9th May, was awful. Despite the advertising and promotion, the music wasn't Jazz. It was a standard pop/swing repertoire, masquerading as much more. The sound system hadn't been balanced across the restaurant (i.e. they went for volume and not sound quality). As for the meal, the first course was pretty poor quality and quite tasteless, they forgot to serve the main course (we got ours only after chasing the waiter when everyone else had virtually finished their dessert), and no apologies were offered. Overall, it was a very disappointing evening for both ourselves and our friends. Emailed the manager but got no response. Shame really as we have had better experiences at the Roslin.