The Salt House
The Salt House, 63 Abbey Road, St John
London, NW8 0AENeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £26 to £40
The Salt House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesalthouse.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073286626
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Open for lunch and dinner Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Charlie Barquina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Both our upstairs private dining room or the entire Salt house are available for private hire.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Lautrette 02073286626
- Entertainment: Occasional Acoustic entertainment.
A word from The Salt House
A stones throw from the legendary "Beatles Zebra crossing" on the famous Abbey Road The legendary Salt House is a beautiful pub and dining room in leafy St John"s Wood. Fantastic food, good selection of draught lagers, ales on tap plus something for everyone on the wine list. We have a cosy bar, a beautiful dining room and a private dining room available for hire. The patio dining area is perfect for balmy summer evenings and the main patio area a great place to spend the afternoon drinking jugs of Pimms and catching up with your friendContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Salt House reviews from OpenTable diners
- Tasty foodBiscDined on 29/6/2013Relaxed, slightly shabby chic ambience, pleasant service and tasty food. The salmon on sweet potato mash was delicious as was my courgette starter, my husband enjoyed his beetroot salad too. The restaurant was quite empty which was a shame because it is a nice place for a quiet, casual meal, carpeted so not noisy. We usually go midweek and it's busy...not sure if the locals prefer going into the West End on a Saturday night. It's not WOW but the menu is good and not overly expensive - it is better than a lot of the gastro pub type restaurants we've been to.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, average serviceBenjDined on 21/6/2013Visited Salthouse for dinner on a Friday evening. Once seated we were left waiting to have our order taken for 20 minutes, watching other groups who arrived after us being served first. Despite the restaurant not being overly busy we had long waits between courses and had difficulty getting the attention of the service staff to pay the bill! The restaurant's ambiance however was pleasant and the food good gastro pub fare. Good but let down by service.Special Features:
- Almost theretipnotincludedDined on 15/6/2013Pre-booked table for two on Saturday evening for a first visit. Good location, looks appealing from the outside. Noticeable mousetrap by the entrance as you walk in which is not the most appetising feature in a restaurant. Dining area at the back has a nice ambiance and the menu looks good on paper. Service was polite but patchy despite the restaurant not being full - drinks arrived after the starters. Main courses of lamb and duck were overcooked though edible and tasty. Starters and mains plus a bottle of wine and shared dessert was £75 making the whole thing feel overpriced given the failings.Special Features:
- Great value on a Monday. TheLondonNWDined on 3/6/2013Great value on a Monday. The steak was OK but not great. The meat was quite tough.
- Delicious fresh produce isfoodieDined on 22/5/2013Delicious fresh produce is always used and the menu changes regularily. The atmosphere is fun and lively without being too noisySpecial Features:
- LovelyMooshVIPDined on 18/5/2013Staff were really friendly. Good choice on the menu. Lovely food. Bannoffi Pie too creamy for me should have had the Strudel!! Well priced and good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative and varied newjohnlondonDined on 30/4/2013Imaginative and varied new menu,attentive service and good value in a pleasant atmosphere.A good gastro pub..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hugely disappointed by new chefldn12Dined on 15/4/2013Went to the Salthouse for its Monday 50% off all mains deal after we had been for Sunday lunch in December. This time - with a new chef - it was very disappointing. The menu was dull and much reduced, and on a short list of mains roast chicken featured in 2 dishes, 2 were pasta based and one a risotto. We opted for fish and chips in the end which was not crisp and clearly the fat for deep frying had not been hot enough - a schoolboy error. Cheese cake for dessert tasted of onion, either cut with a knife used for onions before or stored right next to a pile of them. Replacement cake tasted okay, but had texture that suggested it was quite old. Either the new chef is not good, or he doesn't work Mondays - but we won't be back to find out.
- Terrible servicexelpudDined on 14/4/2013The food was acceptable, even though the menu they had was reduced compared to the full menu on their website. After finishing our meal, the waiter didn't come around to pick up our plates for about half an hour, and when he finally showed up and we asked him for the dessert menu, we were told the kitchen had already closed in a fairly brusque manner. It was 20:45, their website states the kitchen closing time at 21:00, we could not point this out to him however since he didn't bother showing up for the next 15-20 minutes; not even to ask if we wanted any more drinks. Overall, I would not recommend a place in which, while the food is okay (albeit rather overpriced), the service treats you like this. Don't go to the salt house pub.
- very disappointingfoodielmDined on 14/4/2013sunday lunch.informed it can be busy so called ahead to make sure they have not sold out.I called an hour before our reservation and told they had all available. waited to be seated for 15 minutes before showing ourselves to a table. then waited a further 10 mins for staff to bring a menu and water and be told there were no yorkshire puddings. The food took a long time to come and the service was poor, considering we were the only table in the dining area eating.food was expensive for what it is, minimal vegetables, under cooked. we then dessert waited 50 mins,still not arrived. had to get up cancel the order and paid. wine list good and meat well cooked. service/speed really let this place down. recommend clifton in the futureSpecial Features:
- Pleasant experienceCriticDined on 7/4/2013Made a booking for 3 on Sunday evening. The restaurant section Has a nice rustic ambiance to it. Food was delicious. Can't fault The service.. Reasonable price too. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Going down?ClaudineDined on 7/4/2013My husband and I have been regular customers of the Salt Hourse but were disappointed this time round. It took quite a long time for our wine to arrive and then without any glasses... The food was okay but on the cold side.
- The Salt HouseMAMADined on 7/4/2013The cosy atmosphere of the private space reserved for us on the day we visited was lovely. We enjoyed both our meals. Though I'd say my main meal was slightly salty. But it wasn't overly so and didn't detract from our enjoyment on the day. We would recommend going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We took a visiting friendLondoneaterVIPDined on 25/3/2013We took a visiting friend to The Salt House for dinner on 26/03/13. We had a good meal - a tasty brushetta, ox tongue and a mozzerella as starters and generous helpings of pork loin, risotto and pasta for main courses. We finished with pannacotta and sticky toffee pudding. All were well presented and nicely cooked - good gastropub fare but not outstanding. The room was slightly on the chilly side but otherwise a nice ambience and good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Salt HouseMolley17Dined on 21/3/2013The place was shabby and unwelcomeing, we had to staff the staff many times for service and that we wanted to order! The order for all of us came up wrong 3 times and we all ate seperately for up to 3 hours. When 2 of us ate finally that meal too over an hour to cook one meal. Served the drinks first to the men although the woman ordered the same wine and so they really have not been trained on service. The toilets were fithy and shabby infact the whole place and so cold. It was so lovely a couple of years ago and we were looking forward to it, and in fact I booked a table for 2 weeks time with family who originally took us there and I will be cancelling and never to return
- good food, service was fine.AndyCDined on 18/2/2013Good food and good wine. The service was friendly. Other pubs in the area now have amazing and creative menus so this doesn't stand out as much as it used to. However the atmosphere is nice and cosy on a wintery evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but awful staffCharlieBDined on 13/2/2013Been there twice now, unsure about going back. Food was terrific, prices ok, but just awful service. Both times we stood at the front door while the three wait staff walked around the mostly empty place refusing to make eye contact before finally glaring at us and asking if we had a booking. Food was really good both times, great kitchen. Both times when we finished, our plates sat there in front of us for 40+ minutes before they came back to take them away and ask if we want dessert. Really wanted to like this place but coukdn't be made to feel more unwelcome. Sadly one fewer bar in SJW to visit.
- Great beef and yorkshire pudding...griffoDined on 10/2/2013shame about the hard roast potatoes. Good pub and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food but kitchen is slowLocalDined on 3/2/2013We have been a few times now. The food is also lovely. The waitress, on this occasion, was delightful. It's a shame that the speed in the kitchen was not on her side. However, we have come to expect slow service of the food accompanied by a smiling and pleasant waitress. It sort of makes up for it so, I would say go and enjoy a nice meal if you are not in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food!drgonzo7Dined on 26/1/2013Had two courses each, main and dessert, very tasty food and a decent pint of beer (Abbot Ale) to go with it - only regret is that I forgot to use my Tastecard and get 50% off the meal! Also, they put a 12.5% service charge on automatically, rather than leaving that to our discretion.
- What you want from a gastropub...BigNightOutDined on 12/1/2013The Salt House was a welcoming, friendly place - perfect for hiding away from the cold and eating large amounts of comforting gastropub food. The jerk chicken was meltingly tender although could have been a bit bolder in the spicing. Puddings great and nicely presented - apple crumble in a cup and a tempting slice of sticky toffee puding. Nice atmosphere - everyone seemed to be enjoying their meals. Service was a little slow but the manager did explain why so I've given them the benefit of the doubt and not marked them down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday lunchldn12Dined on 23/12/2012very pleasant setting and good choice of food and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super SalthousethegallopinggourmetVIPDined on 21/12/2012We love The Salthouse. Great menu, decently priced wine, lovely characterful room, absolutely charming staff. Sometimes it can be a bit loud but its a gastropub so it's to be expected. But we always come away having had a great time. A real fave now for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingwalpoleparkVIPDined on 14/12/2012The menu is uninspiring and poor value. This place used to be good......empty tables on a friday night reflect the changes.
- Hearty sunday lunchCandiceCDined on 9/12/2012Lovely lunch again at the consistently good salthouse. Very accomodating of our little boy and a nice cosy dining room to relax in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!TeamMetroDined on 5/12/2012What a complete let down after being recommended. The menu not as listed on web site, 3 of us had fish & chips and found large parts of the batter to be solid rock hard lumps. Server spilt half of our coffees into saucers on way to table and still served them! (surely they don't need to be told to take a trip back to the kitchen to top them up / replace them?)
- Relaxing Sunday RoastEaselyDined on 2/12/2012Easy-going, friendly atmosphere: how pub dining should be. Sunday roast was homely rather than exceptional. However, the Sticky Toffee Pudding was delectable with rich dark caramel undertones: perfect. Wine list is sound, not long but something for everyone and across an affordable price range. All-in-all, a very pleasant Sunday afternoon.Special Features:
- Standard Gastro Pub mealoocaresDined on 1/12/2012Friendly staff although we had a few problems with the menu; Ordering what we had seen on the website instead of what was on the menu in front of us and the waiter saying yes before coming back 3 minutes later to say 'Its not on the Menu'. (Our fault) Ordering a dessert wine off the menu only to be told they didn't have it. Apart from my partner thinking the Vegetarian Tagine was too salty all the other dishes we had were excellent for the price and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hate giving poor reviews....but..beentonomaDined on 27/11/2012After being seated we asked if we could move table to one with a radiator. They agreed. However after ordering our f&b, we were then asked to move as 2 regulars were coming in. Quite shocked but in a good mood, I wasn't going to let this ruin my evening. wiatress offered our 2 glasses of wine for free. The food came, duck was very good but sauce was overpowering. Starters came in 2 parts as they forgot the first. Sides came 5 minutes after the main. etc .Once I had paid, I checked the bill. My fault, this should have been done before. Noticed that the wine was still on there. When i spoke to the lady that moved us she simply asked if we were planning to come back, and once I said no, she simply replied 'oh well'. Not the best of evenings.
- Great service, amazing foodDavidLDined on 20/11/2012Great service, amazing food and great atmosphere! Would highl recommend the for and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sunday roastvalcovDined on 18/11/2012The beef Sunday roast at The Salt House can't be faulted, it's truly delicious. Service is very slow, but friendly. Nice wine selection. It would have been great to have sat in the main dining area, but we ended up in the nook just off it, which is drab and lifeless in comparison.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchMsW1Dined on 18/11/2012myself and 2 friends came for Sunday lunch last Sunday and it was a delightful experience. The staff were friendly and attentive, and the chef clearly takes pride in his cooking. The beef was cooked perfectly and served with a gigantic Yorkshire pudding and some beautiful fresh veggies, i was in heaven. Both of my friends opted for the Pork Belly - which they cleared their plates - excellent food, great ambiance and the open fire topped it off as a lovely place to while away Sunday afternoon. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pubFoodieNW6Dined on 11/11/2012The salt house is a great local pub, good food and service, reasonable wine menu and you will want to sit there all afternoonSpecial Features:
- The Salt HouseJane4Dined on 10/11/2012We returned to the Salt House after many years and knew that it was under new management. Well done! Excellent menu, out of the ordinary, and delightful service, exemplary management skills. We will return!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, great foodBeckDined on 9/11/2012The decor was very lovely, antique chic, with some contemporary pops. The room where we sat had a nice roaring fire. The staff was super friendly and attentive. We were able to sample a couple of beers before we ordered. The menu had basic items as well as creative ones. Our daughter is vegetarian, and she had several terrific meal options. We all got roasted red pepper soup for starter - yummy, but a bit heavy with the avocado oil on top. The fish and chips were very good; the fish was light and crispy, not heavy or greasy at all. The veg-head got a roasted squash thingy for her meal, and it was delicious also. We split the apple crumble for dessert, and it was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pub - friendly atmosphereDixdaxDined on 20/10/2012Great pub - friendly atmosphere and good food. Sometimes a little understaffed, but this rarely detracts from what is otherwise an excellent gourmet pubSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salthouse superbthegallopinggourmetVIPDined on 19/10/2012The Salthouse is a great mix of nice buzz, lovely wide menu with assured cooking from the kitchen and really charming staff. Its always a pleasure to visit there.Special Features:
- Less delicious than beforeGastroSamplerDined on 19/10/2012Menu has deteriorated recently -more pub than fine dining, although the venue, atmosphere and service are all very goodSpecial Features:
- Good local pub. Mondays areDixiegirl13Dined on 24/9/2012Good local pub. Mondays are 50% off entree's and the food is fabulous. We ordered the burger --one of the best burgers I've had in London.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDeallyDined on 17/8/2012Service and ambience was absolutely top notch -food was very poor , maybe the chef had an off day although it's difficult to murder a burger like he did, and the pasta was dry and over cooked.