The Seashell of Lisson Grove
49 - 51 Lisson Grove
London, NW1 6UHNeighbourhood:
SeafoodPrice: £25 and under
The Seashell of Lisson Grove
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.seashellrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072249000
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 5pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 12pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Seashell of Lisson Grove
Marylebone restaurant The Seashell of Lisson Grove promises to fulfill the fish and chips dreams of any discerning London diner. This fabulous kitchen, according to food critic Alain Ducasse serves up ‘the best fish and chips in London’, which really is saying quite something in this old chip-happy town. The differences between The Seashell of Lisson Grove and your usual neighbourhood F&C peddler are too many and varied to list here but let’s begin with the décor; a superb combination of comfort and style, the space appropriately relaxed but still quite refined enough for special dinners or business lunching. Then of course there’s the location, in chichi Marylebone, close to the West End and London’s many sights and shops but still with the feel of a local restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Seashell of Lisson Grove reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since 23 May 2014
group bookings (21)business meals (20)fit for foodies (19)pre/post theatre (17)child friendly (16)special occasions (13)sunday lunch (12)outstanding value (12)brunch (9)romance (8)disabled access (7)outdoor eating (4)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- The Mussels are really impressive!SIMaMaDined on 29/8/2014The mussels are surprisingly good in taste & very good for sharing as the portion is quite big. But the fish & chips were not as good as expected because the fish not crispy enough while the chips were too salty.Special Features:
- sixironDined on 29/8/2014I used this chippy when I was at school some 65 years ago when it was in Lisson Grove. It is much more up market these days and there is nowhere better for quality fish & chips in London.Special Features:
- Too LongHolepunchDined on 26/8/2014Waited an hour for our starter and didn't want to stay long due to very loud conversations around.Special Features:
- Very good!kst77Dined on 25/8/2014The food was gorgeous, the restaurant had a nice atmosphere and the service was excellent, we were even treated to complimentary home cooked crisps. The only downside was that they didn’t have all the dishes listed on the menu – we ordered mussels as a starter but unfortunately they had run out – although they did offer us another dish at a discount. The fish & chips was very nice indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank cod I found it!Reviewer123Dined on 18/8/2014A very busy restaurant for a Monday night. Had to wait for quite a while for the food to arrive, but when it came we were treated with some delicious fish. There's bottomless chips but we were full just finishing what was served. Chips could be seasoned more but fish one of the best I've had. We tried both fried and grilled cod and could see the chunky flaky flesh. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Legendary takeawayMarinaVIPDined on 14/8/2014Th Seashell of Lisson Grove is my local venue. I used to dine there quite often when it opened after a big fire years ago. TBO their food is far from been impressive and I prefer other places now. However, the Seashell fish and chips takeaway is great. They offer a nice selection of fried fish with chips to have in or to go. Same quality as the restaurant does but cheaper. Whitebait is my personal fave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 31/7/2014The food was absolutely fantastic. We went back the next day, because the popcorn cod was that good! The only thing I'd say is that the take-away side of the restaurant is a bit hectic. We ate in the restaurant part the first time, which was excellent. The second time we got take-away, and it wasn't such a great experience. The food was still excellent, but they ran out of coleslaw, and the server was very scatterbrained. Still, absolutely excellent fish and chips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50/50 at bestEsseMVIPDined on 29/7/20146 diners - 3 enjoyed their meal. My skate was wildly overcooked with brown flesh under a dark brown batter. Yes, it was replaced without argument but why serve it in the first place? 2 people ordered 'popcorn cod'. Mostly hard batter containing minute amounts of fish. Not good at all. And it all took 45 minutes to arrive although there were only 5 customers present when we took up our reservation at 5.30. Not a happy experience, I'm afraid.Special Features:
- Excellent fish & chipsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 19/7/2014Seashell deserves its positive reputation for serving traditional fish and chips that are delicious and fresh. The staff also was accommodating and pleasant, even though it was a busy Saturday evening and they had many demands on their time.
- No cold beerFishchipperDined on 19/7/2014Not up to it's usual standard. No cold draught beer on one of the hottest days of the year. The wine was cold but not very pleasant. Overall after using the Sea Shell for many years were rather disappointed.Special Features:
- ShoerainDined on 18/7/2014Great fish and chips, good choice of fish and side orders on the menu. The service let it down unfortunately. They had only two waitresses to cover the restaurant on a Friday night. The food took over 40 minutes to arrive - one dish was a grilled fish - which apparently takes 25 mins... Chips were great, good cripsy batter, not greasy, mushy peas were ace, onions rings were big and crunchy.
- The best fish and chips in LondonShelleySDined on 20/6/2014We used to go to the Sea Shell many years ago, and it was always good, but when we visited recently, we were knocked out with the breadth of the menu, and the quality of everything we ate. Staff were really delightful too. We enjoyed it so much we went again three days later!
- Delicious Fish & Chips...MartinDined on 18/6/2014We wanted to eat good fich & chips and had a delicious dinner as well as friendly service :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good night, good foodadmiralDined on 17/6/2014Went for dinner on Tuesday night with a mate..food tasty and fresh.. tried the Haddock, and got the table I asked for by the window, service was not rushed or pushy but very pleasant ..excellent food as always!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/5/2014Very sorry to say that this experience fell short of previous meals at this restaurant. Terribly disappointed with the quality drop as it has always been a favorite place to go when in town.
- biglouDined on 21/5/2014Good food but slow service, when we complained we were told it was because the restaurant was so busy, shouldn't be a reason for complaint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our foodpatw27Dined on 17/5/2014We enjoyed our food at The Seashell and would recommend it. However may be they could consider doing a lighter portion for scampi and chips, as I had the scampi and chips and there must have been about 20 pieces of scampi which I found just too much to finish.
- Fresh fishTraditionalfareDined on 17/5/2014The meal was exactly what we thought it would be. Fresh fish, tasty chips and mushy peas. The bread was particularly good with a selection of brown and white crusty bread. Wine was prohibitively expensive so we stuck to soft drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of staff?CraigDined on 17/5/2014We arrived to no greating and had to wait some time to be seated. The restaurant was only reasonably busy but no waiters could be seen. We were eventually seated and given menus, but then took some time for our order to be taken. It's was then plain sailing after that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good traditional fish and chipsDandGDined on 10/5/2014For anyone seeking good, fresh "British" fish and chips, the Seashell is the place. Freshly cooked and quickly served ensures they are perfect. There are other good dishes on the menu - the mussels are especially good if available. Twice I've missed them - the last serving having just been made!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYumDined on 8/5/2014I have now eaten twice at the Seahell Lisson Grove and both times have not been disappointed. the food is so fresh and beautifully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty fish cakes and expensiveNotImpressedDined on 7/5/2014This was the second time we had been to Seashell. Obviously the first time was ok or we would not have gone back again. However, we will not be returning. One of our group ordered fish cakes that were so salty she was up until 3 am, needing to drink water to counteract the saltiness. My husband requested 2 entrees, instead of an entree and main. The waitress said an entree of scallops was small - only 3 or 4. He said that was fine- he would have 4. When the dish arrived, it was 4 skewers each with 3 scallops - not quite what he was expecting! Nor was he expecting the bill of £34 for this dish (4.x the price of an entree!) We complained and were given a slight reduction in price and no apology. We will not be back.
- FranDined on 3/5/2014Delicious fish and chips, perfect for tasting a very good dish if you're looking for the best one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So wrong it''s rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/4/2014Battered salmon. Quite simply the best fish and chip option out there. Add to that from a range of accompaniments, from curry sauce to mushy peas, pickled onions to chilli broccolli.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableMikeDined on 23/4/2014We went for my wife's birthday as she enjoys fish whereas our 6 year old son does not. A child's meal with chicken nuggets catered for him while we went for the many fish options. My whitebait starter was very fresh and extremely tasty and I enjoyed the rock salmon. My wife's calamari was decent and she enjoyed the cod main course. My wife finished off her meal with a good Irish coffee and I had the traditional spotted dick and custard which was well presented and very nice. Service was good without being overdone and all in all I would recommend the restaurant to those who enjoy dining on good food without being in a over stuffy setting.Special Features:
- GREAT place to eat!UKVacationDined on 18/4/2014We ate at the Sea Shell while on Vacation in London from the U.S. we absolutely loved the food and the ambiance was great. We would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let down on several pointsCRHHDined on 18/4/2014I booked the Seashell for a pre-dinner with my adult daughter. On arrival my initial thoughts were that the restaurant was not warming and clinical. There were uncleared tables despite being nearly empty. The waitresses service was freindly and efficient. The fish & chips arrived in a short time and the fish, cod, was excellent, if a little on the small side. The chips were served in a small side bowl. Being such a small portion I ordered a further portion. Within the chips was somehow a uncooked chip. I felt dissappointed with the restaurant that has got such a good reputation, The prices are high but that was to be expected with the reputation but I did not feel that it delivered any where near value for money in all aspects.Special Features:
- Great fish and great servicemk22Dined on 11/4/2014The food is always good here . The service is done with a smile and nothing is a problem. We go here every month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All At SeaStageDined on 29/3/2014The fish was cooked very well, the chips less so, they were undercooked. The staff were very attentive, knowledgeable and pleasant. Value for money? No, a tad over priced. The ambiance was possibily too bright although lights were dimmed later into the evening.
- Needed to find a posh fishMrsBDined on 13/3/2014Needed to find a posh fish & chip eatery for a work colleague who was leaving office to go on maternity leave and as she ws currently having a chip craving, we suggested a nice chip establishment would be to her satisfication. Service a little slow even though our office party of 8 were the only guests on arrival. Food, really couldn't fault it, very fresh fish and chips nice a cruchy just like we all enjoy it. Overall service was good although slow, but very pleasant and amiable staff on hand for top ups...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish and Chip heavenelroycanardDined on 5/3/2014To get a really fresh piece of fish, cooked to a turn, there's few places more dependable than the Sea Shell. I've been coming since it was a little place down the road. I was worried when it moved up the road and into a bigger place that standards might drop, but it hasn't and I look forward to coming again and again. This last time was with some Koreans who had had 'some fish and chips' before. Their verdict was that it was simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Proper chips. Nuff saidFaxyhorseDined on 3/3/2014old school fish and chips done properly, the best mushy peas and curry sauce you could hope for. And the chips are 'bottomless' too, not that we had room to take full advantage of this offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for lunch on Friday wasClare9463Dined on 28/2/2014Went for lunch on Friday was moderately busy. Service was appallingly slow would not go there again for this reason. Food was OK but expensive
- The tables were a bit tightJhanaDined on 14/2/2014The tables were a bit tight in places and hence loud and no ambianceSpecial Features:
- Perfect fish-n-chipsHungryAndrewDined on 17/1/2014Fantastic fish and chips served in a clean environment with the benefit of a decent wine and beer menu. Service was very good. Mix of clientele at the time (Friday evening): families, couples, business party. Parking was easy. More pricey than usual for fish and chips but this is a fish and chip restaurant in its own (premiere) league!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice foodadmiralDined on 14/1/2014booked for business dinner was given nice quiet corner as requested excellent service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTarifamanDined on 10/1/2014Having been here many times in the passed although always in the takeaway side, this time I ate in the Restsurant. The service was attentive, and helpful and enjoyed the evening. Thanks guys. MichaelI would recommend this to a friend.
- VG fish & shipsAndyDined on 7/1/2014At the time of our visit the restaurant was deserted and the service was average with little attention paid to our table. Overall though we were pleased with the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specializzato in molte varietàGigoDined on 23/12/2013Specializzato in molte varietà di fish and chips, sicuramente uno dei migliori che abbia mangiato, ma anche caro rispetto alla media dei prezzi degli altri locali. il locale non ha molto di caratteristicoSpecial Features:
- So goodZartistDined on 23/12/2013we had a wonderful meal. The bst fish, great chips, all first class