The Six Bells - Horringer
The Six Bells Horringer
Bury St Edmunds, IP29 5SJNeighbourhood:
Bury St. Edmunds
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Six Bells - Horringer
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.horringersixbells.co.uk/
- Phone: 01284735551x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 12pm - 15.00
Tuesday - Friday - 12pm - 15.00 and 18.00 - 21.00
Saturday: 12pm - 22.00
Sunday: 12pm - 20.00
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, British, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Adam Pickard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: A selection of take-out and (soon) delivery items to the local area.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a side room that is perfect for groups upto 25. Bespoke menu planning & wine matching service is available for groups also.
- Private Party Contact: Matt Gilson 01284735551x
- Entertainment: Wednesday evening - acoustic music on selected nights. See website for details.
A word from The Six Bells - Horringer
Delightful country restaurant, open for lunch and dinner (Breakfast on Sundays). The very best of local produce served with passion!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Six Bells - Horringer - Best restaurants in Bury St. Edmunds ›
The Six Bells - Horringer reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since 22 May 2014
special occasions (6)business meals (5)fit for foodies (5)sunday lunch (4)child friendly (2)outdoor eating (2)good vegetarian options (1)brunch (1)afternoon tea (1)romance (1)outstanding value (1)Show More
- Highly recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/8/2014We were two couples, there for dinner. The food was outstanding, very tasty and beautifully presented. The service was almost as good as the food and it suited us to have a longer than normal gap between starters and mains. The portions are modest which allowed all of us to have a starter and dessert. The whole thing was very very nice but its a bit short on ambience. The walls are bare, the lighting was bright and the tables arranged rather formally. I'm quite particular, but I would recommend it for everything other than perhaps a hungry family with kids. We will certainly be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch at Horringer Six BellsGeraldineDined on 17/8/2014Unfortunately an unexpected coach load had turned up shortly before our arrival for a pre-booked meal so the service was extremely slow - it took almost half an hour to even get a drink. I would have to assume this isn't the normal state of affairs so it wouldn't put me off returning. The food was very good indeed and the menu was extremely interesting, some unusual choices, which proved to be very tasty. There wasn't a massive choice but there was a wide variety to chose from. There was also a nice range of unusual soft drinks, which was excellent for the driver who gets fed up with the run of the mill offerings. Clearly a lot of work has gone into refurbishment since we were last here but a return visit is definitely on the cards!Special Features:
- Pleasant evening with good foodJamieDined on 2/8/2014I went with mixed feelings after reading the previous reviews. But I was pleasantly surprised. The young lady was very friendly and efficient. Our meals were good and tasty and seemed to be a good price. If I was to criticise then it would be that some of the dishes are over complicated where others were lacking of content. This was the rib-eye steak that came with chips, bernaise sauce and some form of salad leaves. Very tasty but it would have been nice to have had some different vegetables. Especially as the duck came with about four or 5 different vegetables. But we did enjoy ourselves, thanks for a pleasant evening.Special Features:
- A Great Find!dhwelwynDined on 25/7/2014Whilst visiting friends in Norfolk we wanted to take them out for dinner. I noted the 6 Bells on Open Table and booked, expecting good solid pub food. We arrived at this unremarkable looking pub but were delighted to discover that the kitchen produced some astonishingly good and imaginative food. All four of us were exceptionally impressed. We were disappointed that the pub wasn't very busy for a Friday evening but the staff explained that this was a relatively new business. This enterprise most certainly deserves to be very successful and when it is, I hope that the kitchen brigade can manage to retain their obvious flair and productivity. EXCELLENT!!!!Special Features:
- GourmetGeorgeDined on 23/7/2014imaginative and well presented food although the portions are on the small side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DiningDouglasDined on 28/6/2014We have been to this pub / restaurant two times previously, and this was the best yet. The food was excellent and beautifully presented on the plate. The service was sincere, friendly, and prompt. We couldn't fault it, and will most certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a relaxed Sunday lunchLunchloversDined on 22/6/2014Four of us enjoyed a lovely relaxed Sunday lunch here. Food was delicious with a good choice of drinks and some nice non-alcoholic cocktails. All served by professional and friendly staff. This was my second visit here for Sunday lunch and I will definitely go again and recommend it to anyone. Well done Six Bells!Special Features:
- Excellent Sunday lunchCwendynDined on 25/5/2014We booked after reading the reviews and were not disappointed. Staff were lovely, food was fabulous and we enjoyed every bit of the experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedDouglasDined on 10/5/2014We returned to this pub/restaurant due to a previously wonderful meal / first experience. This time was extremely disappointing. My starter was wrong, but the most worrying thing was the fish main course. The sea trout was clearly "not fresh" and possibly rancid. My wife could not eat hers due to its odour, and although I ate mine, I felt ill for the next two days. I have learned a lesson however:~ never eat fish unless it is absolutely fresh. The waiter tried to make it up to us by not charging for her main course, and a couple of free drinks, but our evening out with friends was effectively ruined by such a poor dining experience. I reluctantly left a tip, but wished I hadn't. My stomach still hasn't recovered......
- Very good country pubFoodinthecountryDined on 10/5/2014Had a lovely meal at this busy well run pub on Saturday. Great meeting place close to lovely countryside for walks. Would recommend The Six Bells to friends.Special Features:
- Six BellsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014we had a great meal and were well looked after. There were six of us covering 3 generations of the family and everybody had a very enjoyable experience.
- Good FoodwhissDined on 4/4/2014A first visit for all of us and we were not to certain what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised both by the ambience and the food. It was disappointing that the evening menu did not include a vegetarian main but a vegetarian option was offered after a quick consultation with the waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, bad servicejbg1Dined on 16/3/2014Ate here for sunday lunch. Although the food was good they were really let down by their service. It was not particularly busy but we were still kept waiting for orders to be taken, plates to be cleared while waiting staff leisurely set empty tables for non-existent customers! Also, range of ales and beers was restricted to about two as there had been problems with their supplier. Food however could not be faulted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third visit and sadly third placeBrowneslDined on 13/3/2014This was our third visit here and whilst the service was still very efficient, friendly and timely we were really disappointed that they had run out of their superb triple cooked chips which all three of our party were really looking forward to. Two portions of thin "fries" were presented along with the last portion of triple cooked chips, which included a lot of very small bits from the end of the pack. Had we been told when ordering we would have ordered something different from the menu but the fries were presented (with a apology) when the rest of the meal arrived. It would have been a nice gesture if they had knocked the fries off the bill.Apart from that Six Bells is very pleasant place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely Sunday lunch!CraigDined on 9/3/2014First time here and we were all really impressed and will definitely go again. Lovely :-) P.s Pork Belly Bites were amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing overallScoobycatDined on 5/3/2014I was very keen to try the Six Bells after seeing generally positive reviews but I was disappointed by the meal overall, the food itself what you get is very nice but firstly the portions are very small, the table next to us actually complained of this to the waiter who was told he would pass on the comments to the chef. Secondly our food was cold when it eventually came out, It wasn't as though the restaurant was busy either so no need for our food to have sat around. My husband and I both ordered the treacle sponge pudding (in Hope to fill us up) but when it came it was stone cold outside and blistering hot in the middle so microwaved and lacking taste! The place although very nice was freezing. And the menu is STILL being updated!
- The following 14 reviews are from the The Six Bells - Horringer reviews archive.
- Went as a four. Loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2012Went as a four. Loved the idea of the `pub tapas`, gorgeous. All loved their main meals and a couple even managed to stuff in dessert. Loved it, will defbe going again and will recommend to. Gr8 staffSpecial Features:
- Lovely lovely food, reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2012Lovely lovely food, really impressed although a little cold when served. The only fault I have is that there is no child changing facilities. Apart from that it's fab.Special Features:
- The staff were very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 22/4/2012The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome Food was very tasty and very good valueSpecial Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2012We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the fact that gluten-free meals were available.Special Features:
- I have recently moved to theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 30/3/2012I have recently moved to the area from Hertfordshire and The Six Bells was recommended to me.I went to lunch there with a group of friends and we all enjoyed ourselves very much.Special Features:
- Lunchtime MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/3/2012Despite advising when we booked that we would require one gluten free meal, we felt that the mains dish was a little dissapointing. The music in the restaurant was loud, this would have been better as background music. The service was friendly and efficient.
- lovely food and service willOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012lovely food and service will definately be returningSpecial Features:
- We booked last minute on OpenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012We booked last minute on Open Table, having driven past at least once a week for many years (I live in Haverhill at one end of the main road, and Bury St Edmunds is at the other). My friends came down from Ipswich, so this was a great half way spot for us. On arrival our table was already set up for us, although we were early. A tab was set up straight away and we were looked after superbly. Our waitress was great, attentive, knowledgeable and fun! All our food was great, well presented and the right portion sizes. The ambience was good, not too noisy but lively. The environment was well kept, clean and tidy. We all had 3 courses and 3 rounds of drinks and the total bill was £116!!! Dead impressed! Would certainly use again!Special Features:
- In an area where there arephil996Dined on 18/2/2012In an area where there are many good pubs that do food, it is important to try hard. I don't think the 6 Bells did on our visit.The room was cold, the music to loud for lunchtime and the service was ok but could have been better.
- food fabulous-service outstanding-hOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012food fabulous-service outstanding-highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Not a great veggie choice,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 31/1/2012Not a great veggie choice, and then the main option was sold out. the alternative suggested also disappeared before we could get any. so pasta again for us.... but nicely told about it all.
- The food was ok but very overOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 27/1/2012The food was ok but very over priced. We asked if our dish had potatoes told it came with crushed potatoes but it did not so it was no way worth the money it was nearly £3 to get a very small portion of chips. I think they are trying to be trendy but if your going out you do expect value for money. Next to us a couple had steak it was no way worth it came with small cone chips and 2 onion rings. My husband had to eat something when he got home. We would not reconmend to any of our friends.
- Lovely starters and nibbles.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 22/1/2012Lovely starters and nibbles. Good selection of food.Special Features:
- I HAD AN AMAZING MEAL HEREOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/1/2012I HAD AN AMAZING MEAL HERE WITH FAMILY, WAS A FANTASTIC WAY TO CELEBRATE A 50TH BIRTHDAY. I WILL DEFINATELY BE VISITING AGAIN WITH MY PARTNER FOR AN EVENING EXPERIENCE. THANKYOUSpecial Features: