6-10 Bruton Street
London, W1J 6PUNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.squarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 020 7495 7100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12.00 pm - 2.45 pm
Monday - Thursday: 6.30 pm - 10.00 pm
Friday : 6.30 pm - 10.30 pm
Saturday: 6.00pm - 10.30 pm
Sunday: 6.30 pm - 9.30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, French
- Executive Chef: Philip Howard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at The Square offers the luxury of complete privacy. This smart, contemporary room can seat between 8 - 18 guests and benefits from close proximity to the entrance of the restaurant. In keeping with the main dining room it offers an ambience of easy opulence in which to enjoy a world class food and wine experience. With you and your guests set apart from other diners and distractions we can focus on providing you with an entirely bespoke occasion. This is a room which is equally suited to a celebration, a family treat or a serious business get together.
- Private Party Contact: Karolina Szneler 02074957153x
- Public Transit: From Bond Street Station walk south on Davies Street to Berkeley Square, head along the east side of the square, and Bruton Street is on your left. (East)
From Green Park Station walk up Berkeley Street to Berkeley Square, around the right (east) side of the square, and Bruton Street is on your right.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from The Square
Philip Howard has been chef and co-owner of The Square since its opening in 1991. Whilst the style of his cooking has evolved and progressed, receiving many awards and accolades along the way, the fundamental backbone of his dishes remains unchanged. Impeccable seasonal ingredients are accurately cooked and brought together on the plate in a harmonious, elegant, yet satisfying manner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Square - Best restaurants in Mayfair ›
The Square reviews from OpenTable diners
381 reviews since 27 November 2013
special occasions (258)fit for foodies (212)business meals (171)romance (151)outstanding value (33)pre/post theatre (28)good vegetarian options (24)disabled access (19)sunday lunch (18)group bookings (14)brunch (5)child friendly (5)outdoor eating (4)afternoon tea (4)Show More
- Good food, mediocre serviceDestitutehedgieDined on 19/11/2014The food was good - one of us was a vegetarian but very happy with the extensive vegetarian menu - but the service was quite mediocre. The service failed or was slow at too many times during the evening to describe here but although friendly, we were underwhelmed by its quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JPD1970Dined on 16/11/2014Good wine and excellent food. However, some a the waiters (except a female sommelier) were not passionate about their job and presented the food using a few words and spoke in a low voice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedKuerbisDined on 15/11/2014Food is overrated. Compared to 300 pounds spent per person, the quality of the food and ingredients are very low.Special Features:
- Dinner at Squareeeva2014Dined on 12/11/2014We were at Square on 12th of November celebrating our wedding day. The visit was the second time in Square. The food was impeccable, but the service staff was a bit lost. If there wasn't one female servant , the rest of the staff would have been totally lost. It was awkward to follow and trying to enjoy the meal at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAidenmc93Dined on 11/11/2014This was s fantastic experience. Loved every moment. From walking in the door we were given plates of canapés which were stunningly tasty. We then moved to the table for the meal where the atmosphere and ambience was 10/10 really good. The food was such a great experience to try and to see. There were a few courses I loved and a few courses I didn't like as much but still cleared each plate! The cheese trolley was awesome!! Definately recommending this to friends and family. Hopefully I will return myself sometime soon!! Well done to all the staff that evening who are just so knowledgeable and the head chef and brigade obviously set the standard for the rest of London! Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food,poor service and ambiencaVisitingLondonDined on 8/11/2014We were sitting at a small table with 5 persons on very old and incomortable chairs. The service was too much. We couldn't talk properly, because staff came one after another with water, bread, knives and so on. The menu didn't offer beef or game, although the winelist contained a lot of pomerol and pouillac. We picket fish from the menu, which was outstanding prepared and tasted marvelous. So althoug quiet somethings in the restaurant went wrong, because of the quality of the food we had a very nich evening.Special Features:
- Square dealDavyWavyGravyDined on 8/11/2014Four of us ate a perfectly acceptable meal. Acceptable - not great
- A very special anniversary mealbenandkishDined on 7/11/2014Exceptional restaurant, serving an excellent take classical cooking. Highly recommended tasting menu, courses from which can happily be tailored to dietary requirements. Phenomenal journey through taste, showcasing the finest talent in the kitchen. A special mention of the service, incredibly welcoming and attentive. The service was on the same level as, if not better than, that we receive in our regular haunts - and this was oir first visit. The chef too was more than happy to come and have a quick chat - indeed the passion for food staff at this restaurant have could not be more evident. A fantastic experience and will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderfulAnniversaryCoupleDined on 6/11/2014A marvellous meal to celebrate a significant occasion. We had the tasting menu with wines and it was certainly one of the best feasts of our lives. The service was relaxed but attentive, friendly, humorous and fitting. THe sommelier was a joy, thank you.Special Features:
- DisappointingLovefoodDined on 5/11/2014Service was fantastic and the staff could not be faulted. No ambience to speak of at all.The focus has been placed on the food and forgotten about the overall experience. I am sure the quality of the food is first rate but also think 'foam' has had it day. Move on.. Tasty but just lacked the wow factor. The Crab Lasgne should have been stunning. But buried in some overpowering champagne foam that was un-necessary. Crab speakes for itself, no need to douse it in anything. My Grouse sounded great and was nice enough but gee I would not remember this dish after a day or so. My wife enjoyed her fillet and shin of beef and it did look good, I won't remember this restaurant beyond the end of the year. Value for money ???? Not reallySpecial Features:
- A wonderful experiencePhilisDined on 5/11/2014From the moment we arrived to the end it was outstanding, they made us very welcome and the attention to every detail was perfect. The food was every bit worthy of a 2 star Michelin restaurant heading towards 3 stars in the future. If you like Top End Dinning at affordable prices we highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special treatFlissDined on 3/11/2014I've managed to survive 25 years in my job - and my company gave me a special bonus to take someone to dinner. I was able to treat a friend to a meal at The Square and we couldn't have had a better time. It was charming and comfortable and the food, of course, was fabulous. They were happy to provide a vegetarian menu and were really flexible about the choices. Outstanding dishes were the signature crab lasagne with a light-as-air shellfish bisque, and the amazing chocolate dessert, a generous tranche of rich milk chocolate marquise on a biscuit base, paired with a macadamia ice cream. Loved the panna cotta with fig pre-dessert too. And they gave me a bag of truffles to take home, with a copy of my dinner menu signed by the staff - a lovely touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbhamishDined on 3/11/2014Had a superb lunch here - menu was outsatnding - both the set lunch and a la carte -my food allergy was handled very sensitively and presented no problems - I had a consomme accompanied by some small pieces of game ( as did my colleague) - absolutely delicious - and followed this with steamed turbot served with the smallest but taste packed mushrooms I've ever eaten - my colleage had Calves sweetbreads which again were outstanding - the service was attentive but not intrusive - altogether a delightful experience - its not my first visit there and wont be my last - highly recommended!Special Features:
- Amazing service and great foodeatallthefoodsDined on 1/11/2014This was a great place - worth all the accolades. Recommended!Special Features:
- Top Notch Food & Service!DrMarkVIPDined on 28/10/2014We had our 10th wedding anniversary at The Square and it surpassed our considerable expectations. Amazing tasting menu and wine pairing all served professionally and entertainingly, which made the whole experience a most memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence without exceptionAndrewDined on 28/10/2014Everything at The Square is fine tuned to perfection: art works on the walls, spacing of the tables, warmth and efficiency of the staff, and of course the food and wine. Some new staff members since our last visit: a new sommelier who really knows his wines and made excellent suggestions; a young woman with the cheese board who, equally, knew her cheeses and guided us towards some excellent and exciting choices. And the miracle is that it's all done with the ease of people who seem to enjoy what they do. And so, of course, we the diners enjoy ourselves too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as everOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 27/10/2014Its not easy keeping up the energy and quality of being one of London's top restaurants - The Square is as good as ever: well done!Special Features:
- Delicious food, fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/10/2014My husband and I visited The Square for our first wedding anniversary and can not praise it highly enough. The food was, needless to say, delicious and the waiting staff were great; friendly, knowledgeable and they made the whole experience that bit more enjoyable. The sommelier was also fantastic and suggested a great wine to go with our meal. We would definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- MaigrinMaigrinDined on 21/10/2014We visited The Square for our wedding anniversary, having admired Philip Howard for some time through his appearances on TV. We took the Tasting Menu with wine and every course was delicious. The wine matching was inventive. Service was excellent from start to finish. The great thing about this restaurant is that it not constantly referred to in the media so reservations are actually available at reasonable notice. We will most certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific culinary experienceMPcdwellerDined on 21/10/2014It was the most refined dinning experience we had during this LME Week. Delicious cuisine and very profesional service. Place is bussy but discrete enough to dicuss issues over a table. I recomend it for any epicure and will definitely try to visit it next time.Special Features:
- Consistently High QualitysicharDined on 18/10/2014I have eaten at The Square several times before and each time the food and service have fully justified the restaurant's two Michelin stars. The flavours and textures of the food are sublime. Each dish is harmoniously designed and perfectly executed. The canapes, amuses bouches and pre-desserts were all delicious additions to a satisfying three course meal. With a cocktail each, a half-bottle of Condrieu and another of Santenay the meal for two cost £167 each.Special Features:
- perfect solo mealsaturdaylunchDined on 18/10/2014Treated myself to a wonderful meal at The Square on a Saturday afternoon. Staff was lovely and hospitable but never stiff. Love that they all had a wonderful sense of humor. Service was seamless and accomodating without being patronizing. My server wasn't afraid of giving his own opinion when recommending dishes. Loved that! Sommelier had chosen perfect wines for the tasting menu, albeit some strange ones! Was lovely. The food was divine. Innovative and manicured but still had substance. I could eat a dozen of the amuse bouche squid ink chips with taramasolata. Dorset crab lasagna had a shellfish sauce that was to die for. Would recomend for solo dining lunch or dinner, romantic dates, or business lunches/dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchtimeflakeydoveDined on 14/10/2014Visited the square for the first time with high expectations , which I'm pleased to were More than matched. The set lunch was superb with quality, presentation and new flavours to the fore. Portions were generous but light , perfect for lunch and I'm looking forward to my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday bestMimmyDined on 12/10/2014Looking for fine dining on a Sunday? Look no further than The Square. The restaurant was full and they were taking second sittings which suggests there is a need for Sunday opening. Most importantly, the food and service were top class. From the very first mouthful, delicious flavours, expertly cooked and presented. Service was excellent. Hooray for continuing to offer an a la carte menu.Special Features:
- Day Ruined By Food PoisioningDarrenDined on 11/10/2014This is first review i've ever written of a restaurant but felt compelled to due to after effects of the meal. We got the lunch deal on Saturday, the restaurant seemed nice and waiting staff were very attentive but, what was supposed to be the beginning of an enjoyable day, was ruined when my fiance got food poisioning, she spent the remainder of the day doubled over - not great after spending so much on a lunch!! Plans for the rest of the day had to be cancelled so not a great experience all round!!Special Features:
- Best Meal Experience Yet!GourmetZoeDined on 11/10/2014I went here with my partner for a special Saturday lunch and after looking forward to eating here for years- I was certainly not disappointed! The restaurant itself is elegant, yet comfortable. The service is extremely professional, but still personal and friendly. The set lunch menu is very good value for money: every mouthful was sublime. Every flavour was well balanced, every texture a sensory pleasure, the ingredients of the highest quality and the cooking perfect. Everything was presented beautifully- without being over complicated or fussy. There are stunning wines to suit every budget and they are also very accommodating to dietary requirements, without being patronising. When can we go again, please?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Meal and ServiceWMBDDined on 6/10/2014This meal was outstanding in every way. We had the set menu lunch with a beef carpaccio starter followed by veal although this bare description does not do it justice. We also had an amuse bouche and a dessert. The presentation of the courses in terms of visual appeal and delicate fusion of flavours was faultless. Our waiter was friendly, welcoming and efficient, as was the sommelier. The head waiter was also attentive, without being intrusive. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodLenaDined on 3/10/2014Dinner at The Square is becoming a 'MUST' whenever we go to London. Our latest visit was just as good as the previous ones - at least! We love it all, the food, the wine list and the impeccable service. The only problem we've ever had at The Square: We always wish we'd had some of our food/wine loving friends with us, shared experiences are so much better!Special Features:
- Superb 2* running smoothlyBroduleDined on 1/10/2014Excellent lunch with good wines by the glass. But watch the bill;-)Special Features:
- 5 Star Dining ExperienceBriggersDined on 27/9/2014The Square's reputation is richly deserved. The ambience created the perfect setting for a fantastic food and paired wine tasting experience. The dining room was compact but in no way stuffy and the staff were genuinely friendly and looking to engage with diners who were interested in the food and wine pairings. Particular thanks to the sommelier for indulging all of our many wine questions.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014A beautiful, seasonal, collection of ingredients, wonderfully concocted and severed at a level that would suit every one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!RodrigoVIPDined on 25/9/2014We had a very good time at the Square. The restaurant may be a little too loud for some people but overall, it's a great experience!
- Superb experienceClackmanDined on 25/9/2014I've been dining at the Square for more than 10 years. I believe that my first experience there was in 2000, and the meal was superb. Since then, there have been a few occasions that left me a bit disappointed, but recently it has regained its footing. The tasting menu on my most recent experience (late September 2014) was excellent. The wine list has some very good values. The servers are attentive and helpful. I like the informality and lack of pretension. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A fine lunchnata21byDined on 25/9/2014Went there for a wedding anniversary with my husband. Apart from slow service at the beginning when they placed us in a waiting area for 20 minutes although we didn't really want it as our time available for lunch was limited (i.e. they effectively were running late at midday), everything else went smoothly - the food was excellent which is the main thing! One day I will go there again.Special Features:
- Has seen its peakXianDined on 24/9/2014We have been frequenting this place for several years and have always enjoyed our visits. However this time we noticed that the dishes have become "over sophisticated" and somewhat too creatif. Whereas in the past there were well cooked dishes on offer, now the chef has gone done the alley with impressive sounding ones. Also service is not up to scratch anymore. We were two and for each dish they were first discussion (next to the table) who will get which plate......... It seems that we are not the only ones having realised this, as not all tables were occupied, this contrary to our previous visits.Special Features:
- Excellent overall experience21SCEDined on 20/9/2014Excellent food and service, high standards but still relaxed , discreet yet attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb overall experiencestuh1Dined on 19/9/20142nd visit to The Square. superb dining experience. one nice personal touch, after they found out it was my birthday, was a dining card, complete with my choice for the night, singed by the main man himself. if you like good food with excellent service, then it is a 'must try'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lisaDined on 16/9/2014Had the set lunch menu.The food was delicious. Orange soufflé amazing!!Special Features:
- Great foodchocoDined on 15/9/2014Great food, good service but not sure it was 2 Michelin star standard. There were only 2 choices of bread (white or brown but the same type of bread) and it was served only once. They took my plates each time a bit early so I felt a bit rushed. Overall I enjoyed my meal but it would have been better if there was something special than other 1 Michelin star restaurants.Special Features:
- Fine dining in MayfairthegallopinggourmetVIPDined on 12/9/2014The food at The Square is superb, service is more relaxed than in other 2* establishments (a good thing) and there's a really decent range of wine price points. We thoroughly enjoyed dinner although our table wasn't ideal (next to the serving point from the kitchen). The room could do with an update now but the overall vibe is still Mayfair sophistication and the food is wow! A+