6-10 Bruton Street
London, W1J 6PUNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.squarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 02074957100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12.00 pm - 2.45 pm
Monday - Thursday: 6.30 pm - 10.00 pm
Friday : 6.30 pm - 10.30 pm
Saturday: 6.00pm - 10.30 pm
Sunday: 6.30 pm - 9.30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, French
- Executive Chef: Philip Howard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at The Square offers the luxury of complete privacy. This smart, contemporary room can seat between 8 - 18 guests and benefits from close proximity to the entrance of the restaurant. In keeping with the main dining room it offers an ambience of easy opulence in which to enjoy a world class food and wine experience. With you and your guests set apart from other diners and distractions we can focus on providing you with an entirely bespoke occasion. This is a room which is equally suited to a celebration, a family treat or a serious business get together.
- Private Party Contact: Karolina Szneler 02074957153x
- Public Transit: From Bond Street Station walk south on Davies Street to Berkeley Square, head along the east side of the square, and Bruton Street is on your left. (East)
From Green Park Station walk up Berkeley Street to Berkeley Square, around the right (east) side of the square, and Bruton Street is on your right.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from The Square
Philip Howard has been chef and co-owner of The Square since its opening in 1991. Whilst the style of his cooking has evolved and progressed, receiving many awards and accolades along the way, the fundamental backbone of his dishes remains unchanged. Impeccable seasonal ingredients are accurately cooked and brought together on the plate in a harmonious, elegant, yet satisfying manner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The Square - Best restaurants in Mayfair ›
The Square reviews from OpenTable diners
406 reviews since 26 May 2014
special occasions (274)fit for foodies (217)business meals (177)romance (155)outstanding value (35)pre/post theatre (26)good vegetarian options (23)sunday lunch (21)group bookings (16)disabled access (10)brunch (6)outdoor eating (5)child friendly (3)afternoon tea (3)Show More
- Excellent overall experience21SCEDined on 20/9/2014Excellent food and service, high standards but still relaxed , discreet yet attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb overall experiencestuh1Dined on 19/9/20142nd visit to The Square. superb dining experience. one nice personal touch, after they found out it was my birthday, was a dining card, complete with my choice for the night, singed by the main man himself. if you like good food with excellent service, then it is a 'must try'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lisaDined on 16/9/2014Had the set lunch menu.The food was delicious. Orange soufflé amazing!!Special Features:
- Great foodchocoDined on 15/9/2014Great food, good service but not sure it was 2 Michelin star standard. There were only 2 choices of bread (white or brown but the same type of bread) and it was served only once. They took my plates each time a bit early so I felt a bit rushed. Overall I enjoyed my meal but it would have been better if there was something special than other 1 Michelin star restaurants.Special Features:
- Fine dining in MayfairthegallopinggourmetVIPDined on 12/9/2014The food at The Square is superb, service is more relaxed than in other 2* establishments (a good thing) and there's a really decent range of wine price points. We thoroughly enjoyed dinner although our table wasn't ideal (next to the serving point from the kitchen). The room could do with an update now but the overall vibe is still Mayfair sophistication and the food is wow! A+
- 10 Course Tasting Menualexholmes1988Dined on 8/9/2014The whole experience was exquisite from beginning to end, made all the better by the always attentive and friendly waiters and sommeliers. The food was outstanding (as you'd expect from a 2 Michelin starred restaurant) and even though the portions may be small, after the final course I don't think we could have eaten any more! The wine list was expansive (>70 pages) and our glasses were never empty as they were constantly being topped up, but it was being done non-obtrusively and our time at the restaurant remained personal and private.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I understand this was set lunch menu, but the food was very mediocre and boring. I had a wonderful lunch set menu at places like pollen street social and la trompette which are both 1 star, so I had a higher expectation for the square, but it didn't quiet deliver the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet experiencelegrang133Dined on 6/9/2014Amazing food , impeccable service and a formidable wine list. The decor is rather old fashion and the crowd is fifty plus. The menu is fixed and it is either a tasting menu or a 3 course meal. Do not go unless you are not prepared to have a long and full meal.Special Features:
- fantasticspencerDined on 5/9/2014only one complaint and that is the ambiance could be better with some background music. apart from this the service was very good and the food fantastic.Special Features:
- SublimeHoorayHenryDined on 5/9/2014Food prepared by experts using top quality ingredients & bothering to make it tastySpecial Features:
- TkGrecoDined on 1/9/2014Excellent food ,spoil for choice , the food is like out of this world ,really amazing!!! The wine list is fabulous -!!! Just best dining out!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch on 29 August 2014PattinsonDined on 29/8/2014Met Canadian friends and was proud of our choice of venue. Excellent Sommelier and food was exquisite. Canadian vegetarian was happy with the options for her. Only downside was that THREE times the waiter's got the wrong dishes. The amuse bouche got mixed up, The vegetarian got the foie gras starter and my Husband got her veggie dish.She was mortified and then reproached my Husband for ordering it in the first place !!!!! Then the main courses had to switched around too. Despite this an excellent lunch. Alison PattinsonSpecial Features:
- MemorableJEF4dinnerDined on 26/8/2014The Square is one of the finest French restaurants that I have ever had the pleasure of dining in...fantastic, a 10/10.Special Features:
- Masterpieces of plates!TrevigianoVIPDined on 23/8/2014Extraordinary Restaurant on the same chain than Ledbury actually even superior, in fact these Restaurants are changingi forever the meaning of eating, pressed to keep down prices at lunch to attract businness costumers, at The Square a lunch menu cost actually like a fish and chip with a starter and a Bier in a anonimous Pub! What's making history is that to keep so low prices, but at two Michelin Stars level! Chef must invent how to use normal ingredients to make extraordinary results. So sitting at the table you will be served a 'Opera d'arte' such as Gioconda Paint at Louvre or David statue at Florence: Same artigianal ability to create an ephemeral art of which we became part with the act of eating it. As result we same become art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceBananamanDined on 22/8/2014The Square is wonderful restaurant with exceptional food and wine. The service was excellent and the team made you feel very welcome and were on hand to help you select from the menu where deciding was difficult as there were too many options that tempted us, as well as selecting a perfect white wine to accompany the meal. The highlight of the evening was the cheese course where we tried 7 different cheeses with a brilliant red wine. Well done I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal for refined palateFabienHDined on 22/8/2014The atmosphere was ideal for a lovely romantic dinner. The staff were helpful and thoughtful, adjusting the aircon for our table without the need to ask was nice. We took the tasting menu and the food was excellent, especially the starters and desserts. The mains were very good but not to the level of the other courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly genuine service fab foodAndEaterDined on 16/8/2014A real wow experience, fantastic quality food, personal friendly service. And an inexpensive but quality bottle of wine. Genuine excitement around our table as each course of our amazing 9 course tasting menu was brought to our tableSpecial Features:
- Top notchcanuckDined on 16/8/2014This is an excellent special occasions restaurant. The food was delicious and even had mini courses in between courses. The service was amazing - anticipated our every move. I enjoyed that they were able to have a joke with us as it made us feel more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu at The SquareemilieVIPDined on 16/8/2014Everything was absolutely fantastic. We celebrated our first year anniversary at The Square and took the Tasting menu. All the starters were excellent, the main courses delicious and the desserts... the fig soufflé was one of the best desserts we've ever had! I definitely recommend everyone to try! Service was great also and knew how to pour wine properly. The only improvement might be on the bread selection (only 2 different types)... but that really didn't stop us to spend an amazing evening.Special Features:
- Brilliant!ReefermanDined on 16/8/2014The staff - without exception - were fantastic. Friendly, helpful and welcoming but never pushy or over-bearing. The food was amazing - and a cheeseboard that looked (and tasted!) out-of-this-world. Throughly recommended - not a bad table in the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right1Dined on 13/8/2014Seasonal ingredients cooked perfectly, the emphasis on balance and flavour and presented beautifully. This is a proper Michelin starred restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed a delicious langoustine starter and then an even better early season grouse main. Accomplished front of house and a helpful sommelier. London is blessed with many good restaurants and this is clearly one of the very best.Special Features:
- lkeenanVIPDined on 12/8/2014Truly superlative food coupled with excellent service and graceful atmosphereSpecial Features:
- DogsdinerDined on 11/8/2014We had the set lunch. The food was amazing with every element of the dishes contributing to the whole in taste and texture. Ambiance rather austere, service good but not quite the unobtrusive ease we have experienced in other similar restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch menu is a perfect choiceJGreenVIPDined on 11/8/2014Went here for lunch and did the 3 course set menu - lovely experience. Food was perfect and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Our first visit, excellent evening, we had the taster menu, good food and wine!Special Features:
- Paul1669Dined on 9/8/2014My wife and I had a truly wonderful meal at the Square. The food was exquisite, and the service truly attentive. We would thoroughly recommend this restuarant. It was excellent.Special Features:
- Top level RestaurantTrevigianoVIPDined on 9/8/2014This is a top level Restaurant, its two cremes souflè is astounding!Special Features:
- Another lunch in paradiseMrnoodleheadDined on 9/8/2014Fabulous food and wine delivered with flawless and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!petemanDined on 6/8/2014My wife and I were not disappointed with the set lunch at the Square. The food, service and ambiance were all second to non and we will certainly be recommending it to out friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALJNDined on 4/8/2014We had en extraordinary meal at the Square. Food, wine, service - it was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Square - Up there with the bestNormaSelping11Dined on 4/8/2014With 2 Michelin Stars The Square, happily, does NOT have the nonsensical '3 month in advance' booking policies currently in vogue. This is a restaurant for serious foodies who enjoy superb food exquisitly presented, attention to detail and excellent service in sophisticated surroundings. No, you probably won't see 'supposed' A-listers dining at the next table, most of whom wouldn't know 'haute cuisine' from 'haute couture'. Despite the well priced lunch 'set menu' - we opted for a la carte. Starter of Lasagne of Dorset Crab with a shellfish and champagne foam was a triumph, as was the Loin of Black Faced Lamb main course. Dessert of Fig Souffle was well worth falling off the 'diet wagon' for. Wines were a tad pricey but excellent.Special Features:
- Critical1Dined on 2/8/2014Best service in a michelin star restaurant. Generous amuse-bouche. Wide and tasty selection of vegetarian options. Loved the duck egg dish- all my favourite things on a plate! Had no pudding but will certainly return to try some.Special Features:
- Dinner 1/8/14OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/8/2014Very attentive service with knowledgable team from outset to completion. Assistance given in wine selection and the extensive cheese board. Thank you all for a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/7/2014i thought that the food looks amazing and was delicious. the service was impeccable. I would highly reccomend this restaurant to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Solid two Michelin star performanceUKLADined on 26/7/2014The tasting menu was outstanding and well-paced (a little under 3 hours). On a par with sister restaurant, The Ledbury. Let down slightly by the lack of atmosphere and the somewhat wooden service. Still, as a pure food experience this is up there with the best in London. Really good use of seasonal ingredients, in this case girolles and summer truffles, both of which appeared in three separate courses. Highly recommended. Tasting menu with good wine and service circa £500 for two.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 25/7/2014Stunningly good food. Supposedly run of the mill ingredients like carrots were transformed into something unrecognisable, in the best possible sense of the word.Special Features:
- exquisite world class diningcjhertfordDined on 24/7/2014A truly wonderful restaurant run by a chef and staff who understand food. A constant delight from start to finishSpecial Features:
- Not a unreservedly recommendationNielsGKristensenDined on 24/7/2014I traveled from Denmark to visit the restaurant on a Thursday evening, along with my 14 year old daughter who is very interested in food. We ordered the tasting menu. I ordered the accompanying wine menu for myself but when I asked the sommelier about the possibility of putting together a non-alcoholic drink menu, I was rejected. My daughter then got water and apple juice. Apple juice is alright for some dishes but obviously a very bad match for other dishes. Although there were a few empty tables seemed the operation and service mechanically and without the ability to make you, as a customer, feel particularly appreciated. I can not unreservedly recommend this to others.Special Features:
- FantasticBlockenDined on 23/7/2014One of the best meals we ever had. This is the first time I really had food and wine that really amplified each other. The service was fantastic. My wife was worried of waitors whith their nose in the air. Not at all, they were extremely friendly and helpful. We'll be back next time in London if we can afford it...... As I said; one of our best meals ever. However, I think You need something to improve. We all do. The slate wasn't the best in my life. Even as it was cooked to perfection so didn't it fall in lamellae as I had expected. It wasn't tender at all but I can't tell what went wrong. I once had a similar experience with a tuna tail but slate don't have tendons in that way.Special Features:
- The SquareelaineVIPDined on 22/7/2014The food here really is oustanding and the set price lunch in view of the quality and service is not outrageously expensive. It did however lack atmosphere at lunch- time. Perhaps it is different in the evening. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.