The Stockbridge Restaurant
54 St Stephen Street
Edinburgh, EH3 5ALNeighbourhood:
ScottishPrice: £26 to £40
The Stockbridge Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thestockbridgerestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 0131 226 6766
- Hours of Operation:
Opening Hours Saturday and Sunday Dinner 7.00pm Last bookings - Saturday 9.30pm, Sunday 9.00pm Tuesday - Friday Dinner 7.00pm - Last booking 9.30pm Set menu is available Tuesday - Friday evenings.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Scottish, Modern European, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Jason Gallagher
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
- Catering: We are more than happy to offer canapes, catering for small functions and events.This can be arranged in advance to suit your needs.
A word from The Stockbridge Restaurant
Welcome to The Stockbridge Restaurant Edinburgh. Edinburgh's cozy, family-run restaurant is situated in the heart of historic Stockbridge where it's not so much fine-dining as a relaxed, unpretentious experience. Head Chef Jason, his partner Jane and their team proudly present 'fresh and creative cooking, hand-picked wines and a warm-hearted ambience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Value
The Stockbridge Restaurant - Best restaurants in Edinburgh ›
The Stockbridge Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since 27 November 2013
special occasions (124)romance (106)fit for foodies (99)outstanding value (39)business meals (30)pre/post theatre (17)good vegetarian options (12)sunday lunch (11)group bookings (11)child friendly (2)brunch (2)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Outstanding game by some who shoot for the potThebigtShirtDined on 22/11/2014We were a party of 6 who dined at the busiest time on a Saturday and have eclectic tastes. The menu was well balanced and just right in choice with a predominance of game, we had a mixture of braised ox cheeks scallops and grouse all outstanding with excellent service. Wine list was good value and balanced in styles, we then moved to mains which were a mixture of pheasant, venison and fish - halibut and sea bass again all superb especially as game is very very difficult to cook and they cooked it well. Then we move onto sweets which again were excellent with an extensive cheese board and chocolate crete brûlée. Alround an excellent meal and I would recommend this restaurant without question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time as good as firstJdedinburghDined on 21/11/2014This was our second visit to this restaurant in 3 months , previously we used the a la carte but on this occasion there was a special 3 course deal for about £25 , excellent value for money and really good food. Very friendly service and attentive without being in your face , my wife loves the decor and ambience so guess where I,m going for my next special meal out ? Will we return ....you bet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable mealScot18Dined on 15/11/2014Have never been before but will certainly go back next time we are in Edinburgh, The service was excellent and the staff very helpful and knowledgeable. We had a wine that I had never heard of before that was really excellent. Thanks to the waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful dinnerSlushonTourDined on 8/11/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner in the restaurant on Saturday 8th November. I had taken responsibility for finding a suitable venue for dinner during our weekend break in Edinburgh and this was an excellent choice. From starter to coffee everything was beautifully presented and flavoursome. We were a group of 5 ladies with different tastes but we all really enjoyed our evening. The staff were very friendly , providing excellent service in a comfortable atmosphere. We will certainly recommend The Stockbridge.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food!vicnicDined on 5/11/2014Perfect way to end a few days in Edinburgh. Fabulous and attentive staff, helpful and lovely people. Food was cooked to perfection, presented beautifully and tasted amazing! Thank you for a brilliant night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fave restaurantLerocBoyDined on 2/11/2014Absolutely superb as per usual. Lovely ambience, service and food that always a great treat. many thanks againSpecial Features:
- ExcellentWalkerreviewsDined on 31/10/2014Lovely restaurant, excellent food and superb service right from the beginning.Special Features:
- A favouritestarfoxDined on 29/10/2014We always try to have dinner at the Stockbridge when visiting Edinburgh. It's a cosy, relaxed small restaurant, the food is excellent and the staff welcoming and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful hidden gemBecsofdunbarDined on 29/10/2014A delicious meal in a comfortable setting. The service was excellent, as was the choice of food and wine. Will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/10/2014Very good restaurant would recommend for an evening meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chilled elegancefamilyniteoutDined on 17/10/2014If you want great food ,attentive service in a relaxed atmosphere then this restaurant gives you all of this plus much more -great food beautifully prepared and presented ,no loud music and plenty space between the tables !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Great ambience and wonderful food. A real foodie's heaven! The goats cheese fondant with beetroot starter was light and beautifully presented as was the halibut main course. All dishes were well balanced using fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceClooneyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Spent a very enjoyable Sunday evening here with excellent service. The food had a couple of hiccups which lost it a star in that the venison was overcooked and the grapes with the delicious cheeseboard were well passed their sell by. However if we were in the area we would probably give it another tryI would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely hidden gemSamb13Dined on 27/9/2014We found this place on line and I would suggest you might miss it if you walked past, it doesn't shout about itself but it also doesn't need to. Lovely fresh food, polite, friendly and discreet service. A cosy venue very romanticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Secret GemTheEngineerDined on 21/9/2014The Stockbridge Restaurant is slightly off the beaten track and hidden down a flight of stone steps. As we walked through the door you are greeted with a warm welcome, we had entered a world that we thought had disappeared. The cosy atmosphere is remenicent of the last century. The service is extremely efficient and at the same time friendly and personal. We found chosing from the menu difficult as there were so many thiings we would like to have tried. In the end we chose pigeon and cod for starters, followed by chicken and sea bass. We enjoyed every one of these. We felt that we had had a great evening while at the same time getting value for our money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, two sittings a paineaswaldDined on 19/9/2014Food was excellent and the wine very reasonably priced. The only problem we had was being told that we had to finish by 8.20 (booking was 6.30) and then, because of slow service, being rushed at the last minute. In fairness, after complaining about teh attitude given that it had not been us that was slow, the staff retrieved themselves very successfully - although it cost the restaurant two deseerts and two coffees. Two sittings are fine, we all understand that restaurants have to make money, but it is incumbent on teh restaurant to see that the first sitting is served in timely fashion.Special Features:
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/9/2014First time I had been at this restaurant. It was recommended to me by a friend and I wasn't disappointed. The food was outstanding and the staff very helpful indeed.Special Features:
- Lovely, just not quite enoughGreedyPigDined on 14/9/2014Really lovely food and service but after 3 and a half courses plus bread and amuse bouches and wine, I was still hungry. The mains could do with being a little more generous. Otherwise I really enjoyed my evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special OccasionAndrewDined on 13/9/2014We chose the Stockbridge to celebrate a very special occasion in our lives. We have been there before and, as usual, were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faultless serviceDrLazarusDined on 10/9/2014Faultless service, excellent food, highly flexible and responsive to customers' requests and child friendly. Overall, an outstanding culinary experience!Special Features:
- one of the best in edinburghrpat7361VIPDined on 6/9/2014forget the restaurants with the fancy stars ,this is where good food is in the capitalSpecial Features:
- ExcellentGzPnDined on 4/9/2014We were lucky to reserve a table the same day. Nice ambience, We had the set menu. Well cooked tasty quality food and artistically presented. Service was just right. So glad to be back again. Not suitable for disabled because it is at the lower ground floor. Overall the best meal we had for a while, excellent all round couldn't fault the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening meal 03/09/14AB59Dined on 3/9/2014Booked to eat after work at 7pm. It is in the basement some buildings in St. Stephen Street, very amazing from the outside. Inside it is wonderful, very atmospheric and stylish, extravagant ambience. The menu has some unusual items on it, which I choose and was very pleasantly surprised how tender and delicious the meats were. I felt like treating my self and with the help of the staff I felt very special. A wonderful experience. It is very good value for money and ideal for romance and celebrations, it is a special restaurant for those special occasions. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly GoodauldlangsyneDined on 2/9/2014I always enjoy not only the food at Stockbridge but the little extras they offer as part of the meal such as the lovely bread, amuse bouche and lovely hand made chocolates with coffee. The 2-3 course special menu on weekdays is exceptional value which in some ways is a pity as the á la carte looks great but the special menu is such good value I am always tempted back to it. The staff are always attentive, the food quality and detail of presentation is great and I recommend it to anyone who wants to have an enjoyable meal out.Special Features:
- Will definitely be back here ^^GraviessDined on 23/8/2014The staff are attentive and knowledgeable and the food was superb. A perfect dining experience :)Special Features:
- Fantastic Experiencew1foodieVIPDined on 23/8/2014A great meal. Well worth a visit. Highly recommended by a foodie.Special Features:
- Good foodLisaDined on 20/8/2014The overall experience is good, the food is nice and the atmosphere is remarkable.Special Features:
- Satisfaction!MistyDined on 14/8/2014I was looking for a restaurant in Edinburgh and found this one on Internet. Booking was easy, the service was friendly and the food was super. We were a party of 4 from Denmark and we were very impressed. Thank you.Special Features:
- An Unlucky Night?S0CKSTHECATDined on 9/8/2014This restaurant came highly recommended by family and friends but disappointed 3 out of our 4 diners on the night. One left fully satisfied, three left wondering if it was just poor food choices [a la carte] on the night. The table was too small. The service was attentive. For what was offered the prices were not commensurate with the food quality and the presentation. Hopefully it was just a bad night as more of our family are attending there this weekend! Not a patch on the Galvin Brasserie where we dined the previous evening for food, presentation and service. We'll give it another go in a couple of months in the hope that 'our night' was just a 'one off.'
- Real Find RestaurantTomimayuDined on 8/8/201415 minutes walk from Royal Mile and this restaurant is idyllic hideaway. The taste of dinner and the atmosphere are excellent. I recommend this restaurant very confidently.Special Features:
- Sizzling Stockbridge Supper!luv2eatDined on 7/8/2014My partner and I had a great meal out at the Stockbridge Restaurant and can't wait to go back. Fantastic food, great service and a welcoming atmosphere and surroundings. Well done to the whole venue.Special Features:
- Excellent Special EveningralfDined on 3/8/2014My wife and I were visiting Edinburgh and wanted a special evening out. The Stockbridge was selected through TripAdvisor and we enjoyed the evening very much. Food was generally excellent, the ambience exceptional and the cost reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealcm00013Dined on 2/8/2014My family and I went to dinner at this restaurant during a one night stay in Edinburgh, and we had a lovely meal. The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere, and you couldn't fault the service or the food. I'd definitely go back here when I next visit Edinburgh.Special Features:
- ExcellentAsterDined on 27/7/2014Food was the best I have been served in Edinburgh in two years lving here. A great little restaurant and with friendly helpful staff. Will definitely be a regular venue when I have guests come to town.Special Features:
- Sunday dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/7/2014Have a great time and amazing diner. Great food but in excepted short ride but well well worth it! Would go back for sure! Good service!Special Features:
- Great food, great experienceCjr1971Dined on 24/7/2014From the outset the service was friendly and not too overbearing. Menu was comprehensive with plenty of choice. Presentation was great, flavours excellent and portion sizes spot on. Wine by the glass was tasty and at the right temperatures. Will definitely recommend and go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely cosy little gemKCJ2012Dined on 20/7/2014We booked this restaurant for our wedding anniversary after a recommendation from a friend and we were not disappointed. We dined on a Sunday from the set menu, with the option of bring your own wine @ £4 corkage. Set menu choices were great and portions were surprisingly large. Food was good quality and well presented. Staff were very attentive and restaurant very cosy! You will probably need to book as it's quite a small seating area. Will be returning on our next trip to Edinburgh. Thanks to all at Stockbridge for making our wedding anniversary dinner so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/7/2014Fab meal & atmosphere - no hurried service so a pleasure to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealREGT66Dined on 18/7/2014We have dined at the Stockbridge on a number of occasions and as usual it did not disappoint. Food and service were of a high standard and the ambience perfect for couples and larger parties.A great choice of wines rounded off the perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning EdinburghnewviewDined on 6/7/2014We were looking for somewhere to eat on a Sunday night and found the Stockbridge via Opentable. It was excellent in all senses. SuperbSpecial Features: