The Swan at Lavenham
Lavenham, CO10 9QANeighbourhood:
EnglishPrice: £26 to £40
The Swan at Lavenham
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theswanatlavenham.co.uk/
- Phone: 01787247477
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 7:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, English
- Executive Chef: Justin Kett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: What better venue than the Swan to celebrate your special occasion. With its warm, intimate atmosphere and serving the very best of modern English cuisine, The Swan offers a choice of private dining in four dining rooms. All have a unique character of their own and have recently been refurbished.
For large events, the elegant AA two rosette Gallery Restaurant can be hired for exclusive use and can seat a maximum of 100 guests. It has a very large inglenook fireplace, plenty of beams, a high vaulted ceiling and a Minstrels’ Gallery, perfect for music or entertainment. Place your mouse over to view The Gallery Restaurant to view the photo.
The McCallum Room has a high vaulted ceiling, large working fireplace and three large windows, offering plenty of light. Guests can sit around a beautiful long oak table which can seat 22. Place your mouse over to view The McCallum Room.
The Suffolk Room maintains its historic charm, which marries well with the contemporary touches.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Bourdillon 01787 247477
- Entertainment: Live pianist on Saturday evenings and Sunday lunchtimes.
- Public Transit: Nearest train station is Sudbury.
Bus route between Sudbury and Bury St Edmunds stops outside the hotel.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Lavenham is situated on the A1141, about 2 miles east of the A134, between Sudbury and Bury St. Edmunds. Half an hour from Newmarket, an hour from Stansted and forty minutes from Cambridge. The Swan is situated on the corner of the High Street and Water Street. We have parking facilities opposite our hotel's main entrance behind the china shop. Alternatively we have limited parking at the rear of the hotel. Parking in the street is without a time limit and there is plenty of it.
A word from The Swan at Lavenham
The Swan has an outstanding reputation for fine food and wine, it prides itself in serving the very best of modern British cuisine. We offer a variety of different dining options; from the informal Brasserie and historic Old Bar to al fresco dining in the garden, or fine dining in the elegant AA two Rosette Gallery Restaurant, the choice is yours. The Swan's menus are made using fresh, locally sourced seasonal ingredients and their popularity needs no further endorsement than the impeccable feedback received throughout the year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Swan at Lavenham - Best restaurants in Lavenham ›
The Swan at Lavenham reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since 24 May 2014
special occasions (25)afternoon tea (19)sunday lunch (16)romance (14)fit for foodies (14)brunch (9)business meals (7)outstanding value (7)disabled access (4)outdoor eating (3)good vegetarian options (3)child friendly (3)group bookings (2)Show More
- MartinGDined on 24/8/2014The Swan restaurant has a lovely setting and ambience. Wine waiter knew his wine collection and offered advice with enthusiasm. Would reccomend it for service and fine food.Special Features:
- Birthday Treat.PollyannaDined on 15/7/2014We really enjoyed our meal in The Gallery, this was a real treat. The Swan is always our place for birthdays! Everything was great .Special Features:
- Sunday night in the galleryGreat13foodDined on 6/7/2014Service very good food excellent best Wild garlic risotto I ever had halibut was also amazing wine also very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top classAlphaDined on 6/7/2014Beautiful building. Food of the highest quality, extremely well presented. Waiting staff attentive and pleasant. A bonus having piano being played at Sunday lunch time when l visited. Glorious music added to the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 26/6/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Swan Lavenham. However, our room was at the front of the hotel and very noisy with traffic which started at about 4 am! The food was good and the service excellent - everyone was very kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A splendid Sunday lunch in SuffolkRailwayDinerDined on 15/6/2014We have been going to the Swan for Sunday Lunch once a year for the past twenty years. Each year we come away saying how much we enjoyed the experience. This year was no exception. The food was very good as was the service. Even though it was Fathers Day there was no sense of pressure in the restaurant, though nearly every table was in use. The menu was easy to navigate. We chose a French country wine which was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting with good foodNorwichcarrowDined on 8/6/2014Ate in the Brasserie for Sunday dinner, which is the more informal setting at this lovely old inn. The menu offers a good choice of dishes, although the range of wines by the glass is not as great as I'd like. Service was efficient and pleasant. Sue's fish and chips were truly outstanding, as good as she's had anywhere, even Southwold pier. My trout was also done to perfection with really tasty samphire and new potatoes. Desserts were a disappointment as we both went for the pannacotta which turned out to be rather overcooked and rubbery - not unpleasant just not as smooth and creamy as it should be. Overall a good experience and reasonable value for money - I'd certainly eat there again.
- Fabulous FoodPetulaDined on 7/5/2014We had a wonderful evening in the Gallery Restaurant for our 3rd Wedding Anniversary. The food was absolutely amazing - melt in the mouth and taste buds tingling! Would highly recommend it and will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Fine dining.JPryceDined on 4/5/2014Good all round, sommelier was very helpful. Beautiful surroundings and good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Sunday Lunch @ The SwanSundaySorpriseDined on 4/5/2014Staff looked after us well - attentive but not intrusive, friendly but not familiar. Menu limited (On Sundays) but all food we had was excellent. Smallish portions so don't expect a blow out - you go there for the quality.Special Features:
- Lunchtime treatFussyeaterDined on 19/4/2014We booked lunch at the Swan Hotel as we have eaten here before and was very impressed by the service, food and the Gallery resturant environment. We decided to select food from the lunch menu as it catered for all our tastes including my daughter who is a vegitarian. The service was excellent from the moment we were shown to our table until we left. The food was very nicely and creatively presented and beautifully cooked. I am sure when the opportunity arises we will dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodCC50Dined on 19/4/2014Excellent food, smaliish portions which meant I had room for desert, plenty of vegetables, thoughtful menu, great service, wine was outstanding. I like the candied lemon on the white chocolate parfait and the bechamel sauce was very nice.
- A lovely lunch in pleasantRichradDined on 8/4/2014A lovely lunch in pleasant surroundings. Staff very attentive, helpful and efficient.Special Features:
- Excellent Sunday lunchColbrownDined on 6/4/2014Once again the venue, service and food were outstanding. An excellent civilised Sunday lunch was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb RestaurantNZShearerDined on 18/3/2014For me, this is one of the very best. Dishes with real depth of flavour, perfect service, great choice of wines, very special location and ambience in a beautiful building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Increasingly rareSeldomLunchesVIPDined on 16/3/2014We have had special events, stayed at and frequently eat in the restaurant at the Swan. Other favourite haunts have dropped quality to widen profit margins or have just lost the edge and we moan when they do, so thought it would be very unBritish to applaud when food and service remains of the highest standard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration LunchMOJODined on 14/3/2014A special day for the two of us - our 55th Wedding Anniversary - It couldn't have gone better. Welcoming, attentive and efficient staff. All very polite and friendly too. The food was excellent - Well presented and cooked to perfection. Try the slow braised Lamb Shank !!! We didn't use the wine list as I was driving but this seemed very good. Desserts were delicious (a very important part of our meal) and creatively presented. Thoroughly recommended and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 51st Wedding AnniversaryPatrickDined on 9/3/2014Our very first experience of the Swan was last Summer, our Son gave us afternoon tea, which was absolutely first Class, it was at that afternoon we decided to come back, when we didn't know, just after Christmas we were wondering what we should do for our 51st wedding anniversary this year, and we decided that we would like to spend it at the Swan, so we did and we are both very pleased that we did, only staying the one night The 9th of March, everything about the Swan is amazing, the surroundings, the room No16 Wiles, was more than we expected, cleanliness outstanding all of the Staff especially on Reception were Wonderful a really comfortable Lounge, and the service Bar reminded me of my service days, food top rate. thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the journey 1hr +eatoutalotDined on 26/1/2014We decided to treat ourselves to Sunday Lunch on the recommendation of friends. It lived up to all our expectations. Good food, good service, nice atmosphere. We will be returning to try the brunch and tea menus in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Treat.PollyannaDined on 18/12/2013It was a lovely way to spend a birthday, pleasant atmosphere great food and good service. Thankyou.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/12/2013I took my wife out to dinner for her birthday and we had a very enjoyable evening. The staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The food was well presented and the.portions were appropriate.We will definitely go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb experience at The SwanCookieDined on 6/12/2013Thank you for a wonderful lunch. As soon as we entered we felt pampered and the whole ambience was super. The food was excellent as was the recommended wine. It was good to be able to have Adnam's beer available too.The staff were very attentive and the whole experience was superb. Thank you again and we will look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid Week Lunch at The SwanPatrushkaDined on 2/11/2013Three of us had a lovely birthday lunch at the Swan. The Gallery Restaurant is beautiful and the service is outstanding. We had drinks in the bar beforehand and a waiter came and found us and took our order which was very civilised. We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch at The Swan was15WallisDined on 20/10/2013Sunday lunch at The Swan was fabulous. The food and atmosphere were second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit of a treatTreat2Dined on 18/10/2013After a 6 mile circular walk if Lavenham 'the Swan' was the perfect place for afternoon tea. In front of a roaring fire we were served afternoon tea - which was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MabsDined on 16/10/2013From the moment we walked into the restaurant for lunch we were made to feel very welcome. The service, food and all round experience was excellent. We will certainly go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 236 reviews are from the The Swan at Lavenham reviews archive.
- good experiencebellabluebellDined on 11/9/2013Apart from the wine order being wrong the meal was very good, not many young people in, but it was a week day lunch time so that could be why.Special Features:
- Good food, but very slow serviceMontezumaDined on 30/8/2013We like to dine at the Swan, but the service at our recent visit was appallingly slow. Lunch took nearly two and a half hours! And we gave up waiting for our coffee. What made it worse was the fact that folk who arrived after us got served before us (the same thing happened on a previous visit) . Some of those served before and more speedily than us appeared to be regulars, and known personally to the staff. Customers should be served in the order they arrive, not according to whether they are regulars or not. In response to our cancelling the non-existent coffee, the waiter semi-apologised by stating that the staff had been busy with both restaurants. Surely this suggests that more staff are needed (both inside and outside the kitchens).Special Features:
- A Great FindpeacecottagesDined on 26/8/2013A fabulous, sophisticated, olde worlde, charming, extremely child-friendly restaurant & hotel with beautifully decorated and furnished rooms / public areas and fabulous food. Thoroughly recommend and hope to re-visit for an overnight stay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shame about the overcookingRespiratoryresearchVIPDined on 25/8/2013Had a wonderfully atmospheric set Sunday lunch which was nice in terms of atmosphere and service. But have to say the food was badly let down by being very much overcooked both the beef and pork. Such a shameI would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was outstanding andenjoymyfoodDined on 23/8/2013Service was outstanding and the food was food - lovely building. Will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch at The SwanTeeKatDined on 18/8/2013This is not the first time we have visited The Swan, and as always found the food and the service to be first class. The building itself is wonderful and the dining room very atmospheric. Having said that I could have done without the piano accompaniment. As we were sitting almost directly underneath it spoilt any chance of quiet conversation. I also felt it was out of keeping with the atmosphere in the room. If you must have a piano accompaniment then at least it should be some appropriate classical pieces, played softly, rather than random selections from pop songs of the 20th century, with added twiddly bits. None of the other diners seemed particularly entranced either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Posh fish and chipsmelfordpjnDined on 3/8/2013We took an American visitor to the Swan for lunch in the dining room - we ate posh locally caught fish, chips, mushy peas and side order of local samphire. Beautifully presented and attentive waiters. The dessert was a lemon posset - wonderful mixture of flavours and memorable.... it had green tea foam on the top!! The American loved the very old building, ambience and food so I recommend the Swan as a perfect place to take a special guest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in the sunshineNewvenueDined on 12/7/2013A birthday surprise for a friend . Weather hot so we decided to lunch out doors in the garden.As we arrived at 12.30 it was not too busy .However everyone arriving also chose the garden and service slowed. My friend's cafetiere of coffee was not acceptable as the strained coffee was full of grains and not pleasant to drink. However the waitress offered her a fresh pot and when she demurred, did not charge us for the grainy coffee. We enjoyed our visit overall and the birthday girl was thrilled to be back at the Swan!Special Features:
- excellent mealBrianDined on 6/7/2013Hi It was my fathers 90th Birthday and he is basically a plain eater. The food was very good and he had all that we wanted. We asked for strawberries and ice cream which was NOt on the dessert menu and it was supplied. Excellent time Thanks Kind regards BrianSpecial Features:
- Lovely old building. The staffpollyrevueDined on 23/6/2013Lovely old building. The staff where excellent so too the food. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the moment we walkedElizabethDined on 27/5/2013From the moment we walked in we were greeted and looked after. This is a good place for special occassions, food was very good and a good selection. Could not fault the service, everyone very attentive. The set price lunch menu was very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch,ambience and serviceCrocusDined on 26/5/2013Lunch,ambience and service excellent.Shame it's such a hard job to find parking space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOliviaRDined on 25/5/2013Excellent service. They accommodated my son in his high chair in the main restaurant and the service was impecable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagicalMrsK84Dined on 19/5/2013A really magical evening in the Swan, definitely something for a special occasion, would recommend this place for anyone looking to spoil someone specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.