The Swan at The Globe
21 New Globe Walk
London, SE1 9DTNeighborhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Swan at The Globe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loveswan.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079289444x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 7:30pm - 11:30pm
Sat, Sun: 11am - 3pm
Mon - Fri: 12pm - 2:30pm
Sat: 11am - 5pm
Sun: 11am - 6pm
Mon - Sat: 5pm - 11pm
Sun: 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Kieren Stainborn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Swan Events team host over 350 private or corporate events a year. Menus are seasonal and include bowl food and canapes, delicious three course dinners, drinks packages featuring fine English wines and great cocktails. The Swan was highly commended at The Event Awards 2011 and 2012 for 'Event Caterer of the Year'.
- Private Party Facilities: The Swan has two private rooms available for parties and corporate events at Shakespeare’s Globe. The Balcony Room can accommodate up to 120 guests and has stunning views, boutique decor, floor to ceiling French windows and fairy tale balconies.
Situated under the Globe Theatre, the Underglobe is a hidden gem in the heart of Bankside and can accommodate up to 450 guests. Boasting a private mezzanine level, sweeping staircase, high ceilings, built in stage and a new surround sound and lighting system.
Our private dining table in the restaurant can seat up to 15 guests and areas for up to 30 guests can be reserved in the bar.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Holl 02079289444x128
- Entertainment: Chilled out music sessions are hosted in the bar most Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Private tours of Shakespeare's Globe can also be arranged.
A word from The Swan at The Globe
Located on Bankside, next to Shakespeare’s Globe, The Swan bar & restaurant has stunning views of the River Thames and St.Paul's Cathedral. The restaurant's a la carte menu reflects a modern British style, with seasonal produce from local markets and signature Hereford steaks served from the grill. The bar is open all day serving breakfast, homemade cakes, light lunches, British tapas and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Swan at The Globe - Best restaurants in Bankside ›
The Swan at The Globe reviews from OpenTable diners
482 reviews since 19 May 2014
pre/post theatre (296)special occasions (192)sunday lunch (137)romance (112)fit for foodies (84)business meals (76)brunch (68)group bookings (60)afternoon tea (58)outstanding value (35)good vegetarian options (23)child friendly (14)outdoor eating (8)disabled access (7)Show More
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014Had a pre-theatre dinner here on Saturday night with a girlfriend which was lovely. Had a quick look at the standard menu and it was very expensive. Lovely good and good service.Special Features:
- Great Fish at the Swan!AJP201Dined on 12/9/2014Following my last visit to the Swan which was disappointing on every front, this visit couldn't have been more different... Great food, great service, supported by an uncluttered, un-fussy, delicious menu!Special Features:
- Excellent experience!MSU80Dined on 10/9/2014First time there...pre-theatre meal. Food, service and ambience were all great. The fish I had was excellent, the vegetables were perfect. The vegetarian 3 course meal my wife had was fantastic and very flavourful. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal!Josephine02Dined on 9/9/2014I made the booking because of the proximity of The Swan to the Globe Theatre: I live in the west country, visit London about 4 times per year and had not been to the Globe previously. What a great decision to book! The service was friendly and prompt, and the pre-theatre meal was of excellent quality. There was enough choice for even the fussiest eater. My companion and I enjoyed the food and the surroundings immensely, and would definitely return if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceArchieDined on 7/9/2014Food, service and atmosphere very good. Amazing views. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Pre Theatre DiningGlobeTheatreFan17Dined on 6/9/2014Saturday evening, fabulous moonlit views of St Pauls & London sights. Delicious steak! Waiters are not terribly attentive (work overload?). Unfortunately they served white wine at body temperature 5 times (despite request for chilled wine). Gave up & had to put ice cubes in it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wrong timinghonestopinion55Dined on 6/9/2014The ambience one star is for the cafe. We had to sit there cos of mix up in booking. The food is excellent for pre theatre. I had the cafe desserts as we couldn't 'see' the trolley from the floor below!Special Features:
- Outstanding beef & great viewGingerdomDined on 5/9/2014We were glad that we saw the beef rib before we ordered as we were considering a starter - it looked huge but fabulous. The meal when it came didn't disappoint and was cooked to perfection. It's a great venue with a great view (although a shame only one of us could enjoy the view with the way tables for 2 are arranged).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book for the view and locationEpicureDined on 3/9/2014The views over the river towards St Pauls are this restaurant's best feature. I eat there only for convenience if I am going to see a play at The Globe. The food is quite ordinary and the prices comparatively high.Special Features:
- DisappointingJuliefDined on 2/9/2014We appreciate we were in the pre-theatre slot, but there seemed to be little organisation around who was serving us - and surely a theatre should be geared up for this. We waited nearly half an hour between finishing our main course and having an order for desert taken. In that time, two waiters promised to come back to us with the desert options but forgot about us. There were waiters who were available to deal with us, but they were using their time to lay other tables or stand around chatting with each other. We love the ambience of the restaurant, and it is convenient for the theatre, but I don't think we will go again.
- Pre Theatre mealOldCodgerDined on 2/9/2014We arrived early, so had a drink in bar beforehand. The staff collected us for our table - which was in the window and had an excellent view over the Thames, looking towards to city and St Paul's.. The food and service were all great. Not rushed at all, but we finished with enough time to look round the shop before the start of the play at The Globe.Special Features:
- Food with a viewRafaDined on 2/9/2014Relaxed but attentive service in a modern ambience yet still full of character. Excellent views over the Thames and Millenium Bridge towards St Pauls and the proximity to the Globe Theatre and the Tate Modern provide a great backdrop to an interesting if not hugely extensive menu of dishes with the accent on taste and imagination. The specials can often be particularly good value. A good wine list - and some excellent Prosecco and Champagne - complete a satisfying dining experience.Special Features:
- Great views, nice atmosphereMurphUKDined on 31/8/2014...and very tasty food. Quite a small wine list, but our group tried several and were pleased with all of them. Sunday lunch was very good and the house Bloody Mary was excellent. Definitely one for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great stafflondondinerDined on 31/8/2014Staff were more than helpful and really knew what they were talking about. Made us feel very welcome. Had leek and potato soup for starter which was lovely. then had the Sunday roast which was good.Special Features:
- Amazing viewsrahoolDined on 30/8/2014Great location and views with decent food. We have been here several times though at our last visit the service was not up to scratch.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014We booked for a pre theatre trip and so had the set menu. Unfortunately there was nothing really suitable for our eleven year old who has a milk allergy. The staff could not have been kinder asking him what he liked and then whipping up some fantastic fish and chips. A very happy young man. Our food was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceveggie1971Dined on 29/8/2014I took my partner here for his birthday as we were also going to the Globe. The staff were all very friendly and accomodating and when they knew it was my partner's birthday they decorated his dessert which was a nice toucgSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, nice food, relaxed.DesnolDined on 28/8/2014Had pre-theatre set meal with friends. Can't beat the location on a summer evening, fabulous views of the river and City at sunset. The atmosphere was perfect, not too noisy to be distracting and not too quiet which could dampen the spirits. Ideal for a happy, relaxed meal with friends. Staff couldn't have been more friendly or obliging. When we didn't want wine, they brought us the beers from the ground floor bar. I would definitely recommend the "Curious Blue" ale (or is it "Blue Curious"?). The only downside is that the pre-theatre booking restricts one to max 2 hours, however, we did manage to finish our meal in good time and leave before they had to start dropping hints. All in all, highly recommended, good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLutalica1Dined on 24/8/2014I was very disappointed, as the entree of salmon & prawn pâté & the trout main meal were not worth the price. The only worthwhile dish was the delicious crème brulée. The service was very bad - I'd asked a waiter before ordering if 1 hour would be enough time for the 3-course meal choice, as I was seeing a play at the Globe, & he said that'd be fine. However, service was tardy, patchy & forgetful, so I (& other diners) had to rush to get/pay our bill to JUST make it to the play in time. I discovered later that I must've been given the wrong bill, as I paid £52 for a 3-course meal that was advertised as being £29 (& I only had olives & a soft drink in addition), but because I was in a rush, I didn't realise the error, so I felt ripped off.
- The Swan Globe TheatreLuv2dine2Dined on 23/8/2014Booked pre theatre meal, menu choice not great , but when food arrived could not fault it, service was excellent, waiter was very attentative , atmosphere in pub and restaurant very lively, will definitely book againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful setting, lovely foodJulesDined on 23/8/2014Took my mum here for afternoon tea, we had a brilliant time! service was attentive and friendly, food was plentiful and well made and the newly refurbished Swan with its river views was the perfect location for it. would definitely go and try lunch there next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful pre-theatre MenuKyla24Dined on 22/8/2014Third time eating here and it was flawless as always. Gorgeous pre-theatre menu, slick and efficient service, and wonderfully polite staff. Wonderful evening was had as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-theatre restaurantCdnceliacDined on 21/8/2014Pre-theatre meal for 4 here. 1 celiac & 1 vegetarian & 2 omnivores! A couple of meals without gluten ingredients - not necessarily GF prep but no reaction afterwards. 1 veggie main course. Good service & pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch pre GlobeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/8/2014Your sensibly short menu is well pitched for a not too heavy lunch before the theatre. Food was fresh and excellent. Service was polite, well trained and prompt.Special Features:
- LovetodineDined on 20/8/2014Great venue with a superb view of the Thames and excellent for access to the Globe Theatre. However the pre-theatre menu was very limited and although cooked ok the dishes weren't especially exciting. Good starter, average main and desert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014We were warmly welcomed and made comfortable. Service was excellent and our party of four had a thoroughly enjoyable time post theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Atmosphere, Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014My husband and i went for pre theatre dinner at the Swan for convenience and because the atmosphere looked nice from the outside. We were pleasantly surprised when the service and food matched the extremely charming ambiance. The menu was simple, but everything was thoughtfully presented and delicious.Special Features:
- over priced and poor servicelundunnDined on 16/8/2014Very disappointing. Came for pre-theatre lunch in the restaurant (special & expensive treat, not the cheaper bar downstairs) and left lots of time to enjoy a leisurely meal. Service was very hit and miss and although we were specifically asked if we were a pre-theatre booking and didn't order starters, they didn't manage to serve the dessert in time so we had to cancel and rushed off without it - even though we ordered with nearly 45 minutes to spare. Very expensive for what was so-so quality (£23 for a small piece of over-cooked fish) and an incomplete meal. I wouldn't go again. Plenty of staff in a quarter-full dining room but someone hasn't got their eye on the ball....
- BirthdaypartyVIPDined on 15/8/2014the real selling point here is the view -it is quite expensive but worth it for the setting. Staff were good and food very nice without being exceptional-but we thoroughly enjoyed the evening in such a wonderful locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views, ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/8/2014Views and service were exceptional. Fast, friendly, helpful. The view of the Thames was great! Unfortunately, I thought for the price, the food would have been more flavourful and better presented. The good wasn't bad - just not on par with the views or service.Special Features:
- ExpensiveJLR56Dined on 14/8/2014Went for lunch before a 2pm play. Not a huge amount of variety and everything was very expensive. Big fish focus. Service was good. Great view.Special Features:
- Lovely meal in great surroundingsMonkeyDined on 13/8/2014To be fair this was our fourth visit so we knew what to expect. Excellent food and service and views of the thames that can't be beaten. Will we be back.....yeah! Not the cheapest restuarant in an area where there is a lot of choice but the food is sublime. Simply one of the nicest restuarants to watch the world go bySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but noisydarylrootsDined on 10/8/2014I guess that the atmosphere in any restaurant is generated by the customers. Unfortunately on the day we visited there was a very loud group celebrating a birthday on the table next to us which made it very difficult for us to have a conversation over dinner. Having said that the food itself was very good and reasonably priced. A three course Sunday lunch for £28.50 per head with great views over the River Thames. I would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014My wife and I recently visited London for our 20th wedding anniversary, having booked tickets to see King Lear at the Globe (which was excellent). On arriving at The Swan we were greeted warmly by a lady who was expecting us. The ambience of both the bar and the dining room was wonderful, thoughtfully designed to reflect the theartre experience while being moderrn and clean. The service was excellent, and the views were lovely. The food was very tasty, but if I have one gripe it is that I could have done with slightly larger portions. Having said that, the pricing was very good considering the location and the quality of the food served. I would recommend this to anyone and we will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Excellant restaurant.HenryDined on 9/8/2014Now been here several times. The staff are always friendly, helpful and attentive. The food is always well cooked and delicious. The menu offers a good selection of dishes without the pretension that so many restaurants in London succumb too. I particularly like the atmosphere in this restaurant, it's always relaxed and cheerful and I've never felt rushed. View over the thames especially lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Had a lovely meal. Service just right, and had a wonderful table even though I was on my own; for all those single diners who know we usually get relegated to outer Siberia!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- bradbronDined on 6/8/2014Wonderful experience, before going to see "King Lear." My sister treated me for my birthday, otherwise I would have felt I had paid more than I am used to doing.Three days in London is an expensive break, for a pensioner from Edinburgh. We had reserved a table and I had a perfect view of the river and St PaulsSpecial Features:
- What great staffDartmoorDanDined on 6/8/2014The Swan has spectacular views of the London skyline which is primarily why we booked over the web. The views are everything that the website promises. We choose from the theater menu which was excellent. However, the most significant aspect of our visit to the Swan was the care we received from the staff when one of our party succumbed to a dizzy spell brought on by a day in the heat. The restaurant manager personally made sure our friend was stabilized and then moved us to a cool private room so she could recover. Thanks to the staff of the Swan.Special Features:
- Lovely setting, slow serviceLadyemilyDined on 3/8/2014This was my second visit to The Swan and both times service has been painfully slow. Priority is given to those seeing a show afterwards. Food is good (when it finally arrives!) and if you can grab a window seat there are lovely views over the Thames. Would go again but just for drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- difficult customerjannyjanDined on 3/8/2014One of the members of our party has very specific dietary requirements that make going to restaurants a pain most of the time. At the Swan they went out of their way to make sure that they had recommendations for her and made adjustments to dishes to accommodate. While service was a bit slow the food was worth the wait. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.