The Swan at The Globe
21 New Globe Walk
London, SE1 9DTNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Swan at The Globe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loveswan.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079289444x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 7:30pm - 11:30pm
Sat, Sun: 11am - 3pm
Mon - Fri: 12pm - 2:30pm
Sat: 11am - 5pm
Sun: 11am - 6pm
Mon - Sat: 5pm - 11pm
Sun: 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Kieren Stainborn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Swan Events team host over 350 private or corporate events a year. Menus are seasonal and include bowl food and canapes, delicious three course dinners, drinks packages featuring fine English wines and great cocktails. The Swan was highly commended at The Event Awards 2011 and 2012 for 'Event Caterer of the Year'.
- Entertainment: Chilled out music sessions are hosted in the bar most Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Private tours of Shakespeare's Globe can also be arranged.
A word from The Swan at The Globe
Located on Bankside, next to Shakespeare’s Globe, The Swan bar & restaurant has stunning views of the River Thames and St.Paul's Cathedral. The restaurant's a la carte menu reflects a modern British style, with seasonal produce from local markets and signature Hereford steaks served from the grill. The bar is open all day serving breakfast, homemade cakes, light lunches, British tapas and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Swan at The Globe - Best restaurants in Bankside ›
The Swan at The Globe reviews from OpenTable diners
493 reviews since 25 May 2014
pre/post theatre (305)special occasions (194)sunday lunch (140)romance (114)fit for foodies (87)business meals (81)brunch (71)group bookings (65)afternoon tea (61)outstanding value (35)good vegetarian options (24)child friendly (12)outdoor eating (8)disabled access (7)Show More
- Fine view and good food.flossieDined on 19/9/2014We were going to the Globe Theatre for the first time so decided to book the restaurant for pre-theatre meal. We had eaten in the brasserie for lunch a few years before and found it good, so our expectations were high. We weren't disappointed. I was so please that we were seated by a window with a view of St Pauls Cathedral. Food was good, and reasonably priced and service excellent. We would go back if visiting the theatre again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDenisemollieDined on 19/9/2014This was my third visit to the Swan for a pre theatre supper and the first two visits the food was excellent . Saturday was a real disappointment although the food was well presented it was tasteless and unseasoned , very bland. The service for the pudding was very slow and despite having booked for six o'clock for a 7.30 performance the last course of the inclusive meal was rushed , shame , will not go again as lots of choice in the area
- Hopefully a one offTablespinachDined on 19/9/2014We went to the swan for my husbands birthday and had an uncharacteristic poor experience. The soup was not described as having cheese in it and it definately did. Which caused problems for our lactose intolerant friend. I then had the risotto which was rock hard. I sent it back and got another. Which was also rock hard. I had also arranged for a birthday plate for my husband which never arrived. We were charged for the soup but not the risotto. I do hope this is a one off as we have has many lovely meal here and written many lovely reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre - theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/9/2014Excellent ambience with prompt and attendive service.Special Features:
- Pre-production eatinginfrequentattenderDined on 18/9/2014The service is good and efficient. It was not rushed but gave plenty of time to have eaten and be ready to go to the Globe to watch the play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swan Restaurantteafor2Dined on 18/9/2014We were eating before the theatre. Did not realise the only choice was a 3 course table d'hote menu. It was 25 degrees and only 17.45, so we were not very hungry and planned to have a light meal. We had to pay the whole amount, though we only had 2 courses. The food was, however, delicious and the setting, overlooking the Thames and St Paul's, was beautiful.Special Features:
- pre theatre dinnernutmegDined on 17/9/2014We had dinner here on Wednesday, it's a lovely room with a stunning view, and a captive audience being next door to the Globe. Dinner was so disappointing, a simple choice of three things for each course, so really they should have been great. Salad starter had no dressing or seasoning, and my chicken paillard was the same, tasteless and missing the parmesan, it's garnish! We didn't have pudding.Special Features:
- another good mealmoshiDined on 17/9/2014Once again a very good day theatre then dinner food and service was good and we sat at the table by window which we like thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre theatre diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 15/9/2014quick friendly efficient service and the food is really good :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful views, great foodDanBDined on 14/9/2014THE Sunday lunch spot. We had to nag a bit for service which is unusual. My food was a tiny bit over done but still delicious. Highly recommend this place for any occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014Had a pre-theatre dinner here on Saturday night with a girlfriend which was lovely. Had a quick look at the standard menu and it was very expensive. Lovely good and good service.Special Features:
- Great Fish at the Swan!AJP201Dined on 12/9/2014Following my last visit to the Swan which was disappointing on every front, this visit couldn't have been more different... Great food, great service, supported by an uncluttered, un-fussy, delicious menu!Special Features:
- Excellent experience!MSU80Dined on 10/9/2014First time there...pre-theatre meal. Food, service and ambience were all great. The fish I had was excellent, the vegetables were perfect. The vegetarian 3 course meal my wife had was fantastic and very flavourful. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Efficient meal before theatrehildaVIPDined on 10/9/2014Ate at the Swan before a performance at The Globe. The pub has this down to a system. You have to have the set pre-theatre meal, which was a problem as my partner has some specific food issues. You dine on the tight schedule that has been set up. That said, they do a good job of feeding a good number of people in good time to get to the show. The salad was innovative, with squash, chick peas, chorizo, beetroot and onions (some other things as well). The filet of plaice was tender but not quite cooked - a hard act to pull off, I imagine. A choice of desserts from the trolley. Might do this again, but there are lots of other choices in the area that are not as expensive and give you more choice.Special Features:
- A great meal!Josephine02Dined on 9/9/2014I made the booking because of the proximity of The Swan to the Globe Theatre: I live in the west country, visit London about 4 times per year and had not been to the Globe previously. What a great decision to book! The service was friendly and prompt, and the pre-theatre meal was of excellent quality. There was enough choice for even the fussiest eater. My companion and I enjoyed the food and the surroundings immensely, and would definitely return if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceArchieDined on 7/9/2014Food, service and atmosphere very good. Amazing views. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Pre Theatre DiningGlobeTheatreFan17Dined on 6/9/2014Saturday evening, fabulous moonlit views of St Pauls & London sights. Delicious steak! Waiters are not terribly attentive (work overload?). Unfortunately they served white wine at body temperature 5 times (despite request for chilled wine). Gave up & had to put ice cubes in it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wrong timinghonestopinion55Dined on 6/9/2014The ambience one star is for the cafe. We had to sit there cos of mix up in booking. The food is excellent for pre theatre. I had the cafe desserts as we couldn't 'see' the trolley from the floor below!Special Features:
- Outstanding beef & great viewGingerdomDined on 5/9/2014We were glad that we saw the beef rib before we ordered as we were considering a starter - it looked huge but fabulous. The meal when it came didn't disappoint and was cooked to perfection. It's a great venue with a great view (although a shame only one of us could enjoy the view with the way tables for 2 are arranged).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book for the view and locationEpicureDined on 3/9/2014The views over the river towards St Pauls are this restaurant's best feature. I eat there only for convenience if I am going to see a play at The Globe. The food is quite ordinary and the prices comparatively high.Special Features:
- DisappointingJuliefDined on 2/9/2014We appreciate we were in the pre-theatre slot, but there seemed to be little organisation around who was serving us - and surely a theatre should be geared up for this. We waited nearly half an hour between finishing our main course and having an order for desert taken. In that time, two waiters promised to come back to us with the desert options but forgot about us. There were waiters who were available to deal with us, but they were using their time to lay other tables or stand around chatting with each other. We love the ambience of the restaurant, and it is convenient for the theatre, but I don't think we will go again.
- Pre Theatre mealOldCodgerDined on 2/9/2014We arrived early, so had a drink in bar beforehand. The staff collected us for our table - which was in the window and had an excellent view over the Thames, looking towards to city and St Paul's.. The food and service were all great. Not rushed at all, but we finished with enough time to look round the shop before the start of the play at The Globe.Special Features:
- Food with a viewRafaDined on 2/9/2014Relaxed but attentive service in a modern ambience yet still full of character. Excellent views over the Thames and Millenium Bridge towards St Pauls and the proximity to the Globe Theatre and the Tate Modern provide a great backdrop to an interesting if not hugely extensive menu of dishes with the accent on taste and imagination. The specials can often be particularly good value. A good wine list - and some excellent Prosecco and Champagne - complete a satisfying dining experience.Special Features:
- Great views, nice atmosphereMurphUKDined on 31/8/2014...and very tasty food. Quite a small wine list, but our group tried several and were pleased with all of them. Sunday lunch was very good and the house Bloody Mary was excellent. Definitely one for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great stafflondondinerDined on 31/8/2014Staff were more than helpful and really knew what they were talking about. Made us feel very welcome. Had leek and potato soup for starter which was lovely. then had the Sunday roast which was good.Special Features:
- Amazing viewsrahoolDined on 30/8/2014Great location and views with decent food. We have been here several times though at our last visit the service was not up to scratch.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014We booked for a pre theatre trip and so had the set menu. Unfortunately there was nothing really suitable for our eleven year old who has a milk allergy. The staff could not have been kinder asking him what he liked and then whipping up some fantastic fish and chips. A very happy young man. Our food was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceveggie1971Dined on 29/8/2014I took my partner here for his birthday as we were also going to the Globe. The staff were all very friendly and accomodating and when they knew it was my partner's birthday they decorated his dessert which was a nice toucgSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, nice food, relaxed.DesnolDined on 28/8/2014Had pre-theatre set meal with friends. Can't beat the location on a summer evening, fabulous views of the river and City at sunset. The atmosphere was perfect, not too noisy to be distracting and not too quiet which could dampen the spirits. Ideal for a happy, relaxed meal with friends. Staff couldn't have been more friendly or obliging. When we didn't want wine, they brought us the beers from the ground floor bar. I would definitely recommend the "Curious Blue" ale (or is it "Blue Curious"?). The only downside is that the pre-theatre booking restricts one to max 2 hours, however, we did manage to finish our meal in good time and leave before they had to start dropping hints. All in all, highly recommended, good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLutalica1Dined on 24/8/2014I was very disappointed, as the entree of salmon & prawn pâté & the trout main meal were not worth the price. The only worthwhile dish was the delicious crème brulée. The service was very bad - I'd asked a waiter before ordering if 1 hour would be enough time for the 3-course meal choice, as I was seeing a play at the Globe, & he said that'd be fine. However, service was tardy, patchy & forgetful, so I (& other diners) had to rush to get/pay our bill to JUST make it to the play in time. I discovered later that I must've been given the wrong bill, as I paid £52 for a 3-course meal that was advertised as being £29 (& I only had olives & a soft drink in addition), but because I was in a rush, I didn't realise the error, so I felt ripped off.
- The Swan Globe TheatreLuv2dine2Dined on 23/8/2014Booked pre theatre meal, menu choice not great , but when food arrived could not fault it, service was excellent, waiter was very attentative , atmosphere in pub and restaurant very lively, will definitely book againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful setting, lovely foodJulesDined on 23/8/2014Took my mum here for afternoon tea, we had a brilliant time! service was attentive and friendly, food was plentiful and well made and the newly refurbished Swan with its river views was the perfect location for it. would definitely go and try lunch there next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful pre-theatre MenuKyla24Dined on 22/8/2014Third time eating here and it was flawless as always. Gorgeous pre-theatre menu, slick and efficient service, and wonderfully polite staff. Wonderful evening was had as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-theatre restaurantCdnceliacDined on 21/8/2014Pre-theatre meal for 4 here. 1 celiac & 1 vegetarian & 2 omnivores! A couple of meals without gluten ingredients - not necessarily GF prep but no reaction afterwards. 1 veggie main course. Good service & pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch pre GlobeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/8/2014Your sensibly short menu is well pitched for a not too heavy lunch before the theatre. Food was fresh and excellent. Service was polite, well trained and prompt.Special Features:
- LovetodineDined on 20/8/2014Great venue with a superb view of the Thames and excellent for access to the Globe Theatre. However the pre-theatre menu was very limited and although cooked ok the dishes weren't especially exciting. Good starter, average main and desert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014We were warmly welcomed and made comfortable. Service was excellent and our party of four had a thoroughly enjoyable time post theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Atmosphere, Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014My husband and i went for pre theatre dinner at the Swan for convenience and because the atmosphere looked nice from the outside. We were pleasantly surprised when the service and food matched the extremely charming ambiance. The menu was simple, but everything was thoughtfully presented and delicious.Special Features:
- over priced and poor servicelundunnDined on 16/8/2014Very disappointing. Came for pre-theatre lunch in the restaurant (special & expensive treat, not the cheaper bar downstairs) and left lots of time to enjoy a leisurely meal. Service was very hit and miss and although we were specifically asked if we were a pre-theatre booking and didn't order starters, they didn't manage to serve the dessert in time so we had to cancel and rushed off without it - even though we ordered with nearly 45 minutes to spare. Very expensive for what was so-so quality (£23 for a small piece of over-cooked fish) and an incomplete meal. I wouldn't go again. Plenty of staff in a quarter-full dining room but someone hasn't got their eye on the ball....
- BirthdaypartyVIPDined on 15/8/2014the real selling point here is the view -it is quite expensive but worth it for the setting. Staff were good and food very nice without being exceptional-but we thoroughly enjoyed the evening in such a wonderful locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.