The Swan at The Globe
21 New Globe Walk
London, SE1 9DTNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Swan at The Globe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loveswan.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079289444x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 7:30pm - 11:30pm
Sat, Sun: 11am - 3pm
Mon - Fri: 12pm - 2:30pm
Sat: 11am - 5pm
Sun: 11am - 6pm
Mon - Sat: 5pm - 11pm
Sun: 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Kieren Stainborn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Swan Events team host over 350 private or corporate events a year. Menus are seasonal and include bowl food and canapes, delicious three course dinners, drinks packages featuring fine English wines and great cocktails. The Swan was highly commended at The Event Awards 2011 and 2012 for 'Event Caterer of the Year'.
- Entertainment: Chilled out music sessions are hosted in the bar most Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Private tours of Shakespeare's Globe can also be arranged.
A word from The Swan at The Globe
Located on Bankside, next to Shakespeare’s Globe, The Swan bar & restaurant has stunning views of the River Thames and St.Paul's Cathedral. The restaurant's a la carte menu reflects a modern British style, with seasonal produce from local markets and signature Hereford steaks served from the grill. The bar is open all day serving breakfast, homemade cakes, light lunches, British tapas and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
The Swan at The Globe - Best restaurants in Bankside ›
The Swan at The Globe reviews from OpenTable diners
478 reviews since 31 October 2013
pre/post theatre (297)special occasions (192)sunday lunch (127)romance (111)fit for foodies (80)business meals (77)brunch (63)group bookings (61)afternoon tea (54)outstanding value (32)good vegetarian options (26)child friendly (10)outdoor eating (7)disabled access (7)Show More
- AlexDined on 21/10/2014Great view of St. Paul Cathedral specially at night time. Friendly and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- The restaurant with a London viewcolinseumDined on 19/10/2014The welcome and service were very user friendly and the meal and wine were both superb along with a wonderful view of St.Paul's and the river which constantly changed during the evening to provide a romantic setting. This enhanced the whole evening experience at the Theatre.Special Features:
- Spoilt by servicediasporanDined on 19/10/2014what was meant to be a relaxed supper before the show was spoilt by extremely slow service which introduced a feeling of tension
- Great food and viewHectorDined on 18/10/2014Superb !!! We had the pre theatre menu and loved it Beetroot tart was outstanding Will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The SwanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014My dinner partner and I found the menu rather odd and eccentric. The service could not have been better and our waitress was outstanding. But we struggled to find something on the menu which really appealed. The combinations were unusual and everything seemed to be served with polenta - from my extremely salty cod with red wine sauce to my wife's pork chop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert to die forCaroleDined on 16/10/2014Polite speedy service and a chocolate pudding for two - devine! We would recommend The Swan.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere with superb viewsTedmundoDined on 14/10/2014Had a drink in the bar before dinner. Bar staff were friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. Lots of people in the bar but the atmosphere was relaxed. We sat outside to take in the beautiful evening views of the Thames and St. Paul's. The restaurant is upstairs and we were given a fantastic table for two, overlooking the river. (Personally, I'd have positioned the chairs so that both customers could see the view, but currently one faces the window and the other faces into the restaurant). I had the burrata followed by the fillet of sea trout. My partner had the veal starter, followed by lemon sole. All courses were beautifully presented although somewhat lacking in flavour. Service was attentive and the house wines were very good!Special Features:
- Sunday lunchneddyDined on 12/10/2014This was the third or fourth time I have had sunday lunch at the Swan. Each time the food and service have been very good - and at the same time you get one of the best views in London.Special Features:
- Excellent MealPumpernickelDined on 7/10/2014The food was very good, with interesting recipes, beautifully prepared and presented. Service was outstanding; nothing was too much trouble and the staff were very aware that we needed to be out in time for the play. I couldn't eat any of the set menu desserts as they all contained gluten, but I was immediately provided with an alternative with no fuss. Great start to our evening.Special Features:
- Quick mealGlobefanDined on 6/10/2014Food was reasonable and convenient on a wet October evening for the play. I could not book at 6pm though it was not full at 6.15pm when we arrived. We were rushed though as food took a little time to arrive as one of our party had to catch us up. All in all it served a purpose but not a destination place to eat - many more places in the area that compete. Barley risotto was tasty and sad we did not have time to sample the puds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but better if it was hot!sandpDined on 5/10/2014Lovely pub and the upstairs dining room has great views over the river. We came for Sunday lunch, a really nice Sunday lunch menu. Our waitress was lovely, very helpful and friendly. The menu isn't cheap for Sunday lunch but the food and wine were very good so pretty good value- and you expect to pay a bit more for the ambience. Our only complaint was that the food came out lukewarm at best. A couple of our party complained and the meals were replaced but they did have to wait a while. The waiter said the reason it took so long to replace was that he had to run up and down stairs to the kitchen rather than using the lift which he would have to wait 30 mins for- which perhaps gives a bit of a clue as to why the food was coming out cold!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/10/2014I wanted to take friends, who don't live in London, for a special meal, so chose The Swan, mainly for its setting. We were given a table in the window with a super view of the river, so I was very pleased. The service was excellent - unobtrusive and no pressure to leave. All in all, very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect prelude to theatreAnonandanonDined on 1/10/2014We had a very enjoyable lunch before seeing the "Comedy of Errors" at the Globe". The food was very good, the service friendly, attentive and highly professional. What better way to start the afternoon's entertainment. Pity about the music, though, too loud and thumping. Would prefer no music at all, just my comnpanion's conversation, but otherwise something quiet and inoffensiveSpecial Features:
- The Swan was lovely...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/9/2014Food, service, value were all great... Staff was very attentive to making the event special. A perfect compliment to Shakespeare at the Globe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CruesDined on 27/9/2014We have visited the Swan on several occasions as a couple and with friends. Consistently high standard of foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodkats2000VIPDined on 26/9/2014Amazing food, it is a true gastropub. Will be back soon for more!Special Features:
- Pre Theatre MealThe4HerbsDined on 25/9/2014If you are considering visiting for a pre theatre meal - it is perfect, ideal setting, comfortable, excellent food and service and puts you right in the mood for an evening being entertained at the Globe. Would recommend to foodies and luvvies and artisans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor value for moneyluv2dineDined on 23/9/2014The Swan is a lovely place to go to for a meal with panoramic views of the river and ambience. But the service and attention to detail is poor value for the money you pay. The pre-theatre menu is limited for vegetarians and those with nut allergies. We had informed the restaurant in advance of both needs but were still served a starter with walnuts. When I discussed this with the waiter, he very grudgingly acknowledged it as a mistake. I had to point out that traces of nuts as a disclaimer on the menu is not the same as being served actual nuts. It made us wary of the trolleyed desserts and we risked just the one which was prepared without nuts.The service was incredibly slow and we barely made it to our seats in time for the performance.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-theatrematai100Dined on 23/9/2014We had booked the Globe Theatre for my husband's birthday and The Swan seemed the obvious place for a pre-dinner meal. The surroundings were superb - a very clever mix of traditional and contemporary. Our waiter was great - friendly but not over familiar. My only observation would be the food was a little unimaginative but for pre-theatre perfectly acceptable.Special Features:
- DisappointingLucieDined on 21/9/2014I had a great memory of my last meal at the Swan about 4 years ago, however, last week was so disappointing. The food was average, my main way to saulty (gnocchi), the orange juice out of a can...I will certainly not go back. What a shame!
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/9/2014Thank you for the great service and great food from the moment we entered we were greeted by a warm welcome I was told that our table would be ready at 7.30 pm and that my request for a window table was avaliable , we had a drink in the bar then to our table just after 7.30 we had a great view overlooking the river , the waiter was very friendly and the service was first class, the food was great and we enjoyed it very much we weren't rushed at all . It was a great night that my Fiance enjoyed for her 40th many thanks Richard chislettSpecial Features:
- I like the Swan...UppingtheSwanDined on 20/9/2014The Swan at the Globe try's hard to be all things to all men, the noise and movement in the bar is great and then for a quiet dinner before the play the restaurant provides the perfect contrast, the staff are a cheerful bunch, ever trying to give good service. I like the Swan!Special Features:
- Fine view and good food.flossieDined on 19/9/2014We were going to the Globe Theatre for the first time so decided to book the restaurant for pre-theatre meal. We had eaten in the brasserie for lunch a few years before and found it good, so our expectations were high. We weren't disappointed. I was so please that we were seated by a window with a view of St Pauls Cathedral. Food was good, and reasonably priced and service excellent. We would go back if visiting the theatre again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDenisemollieDined on 19/9/2014This was my third visit to the Swan for a pre theatre supper and the first two visits the food was excellent . Saturday was a real disappointment although the food was well presented it was tasteless and unseasoned , very bland. The service for the pudding was very slow and despite having booked for six o'clock for a 7.30 performance the last course of the inclusive meal was rushed , shame , will not go again as lots of choice in the area
- Hopefully a one offTablespinachDined on 19/9/2014We went to the swan for my husbands birthday and had an uncharacteristic poor experience. The soup was not described as having cheese in it and it definately did. Which caused problems for our lactose intolerant friend. I then had the risotto which was rock hard. I sent it back and got another. Which was also rock hard. I had also arranged for a birthday plate for my husband which never arrived. We were charged for the soup but not the risotto. I do hope this is a one off as we have has many lovely meal here and written many lovely reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre - theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/9/2014Excellent ambience with prompt and attendive service.Special Features:
- Pre-production eatinginfrequentattenderDined on 18/9/2014The service is good and efficient. It was not rushed but gave plenty of time to have eaten and be ready to go to the Globe to watch the play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swan Restaurantteafor2Dined on 18/9/2014We were eating before the theatre. Did not realise the only choice was a 3 course table d'hote menu. It was 25 degrees and only 17.45, so we were not very hungry and planned to have a light meal. We had to pay the whole amount, though we only had 2 courses. The food was, however, delicious and the setting, overlooking the Thames and St Paul's, was beautiful.Special Features:
- pre theatre dinnernutmegDined on 17/9/2014We had dinner here on Wednesday, it's a lovely room with a stunning view, and a captive audience being next door to the Globe. Dinner was so disappointing, a simple choice of three things for each course, so really they should have been great. Salad starter had no dressing or seasoning, and my chicken paillard was the same, tasteless and missing the parmesan, it's garnish! We didn't have pudding.Special Features:
- another good mealmoshiDined on 17/9/2014Once again a very good day theatre then dinner food and service was good and we sat at the table by window which we like thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ambienceJenaki1Dined on 17/9/2014For such an exciting Theatre experience such as The Globe we expected much more than this rather boring dining room with rather ordinary food.
- pre theatre diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 15/9/2014quick friendly efficient service and the food is really good :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful views, great foodDanBDined on 14/9/2014THE Sunday lunch spot. We had to nag a bit for service which is unusual. My food was a tiny bit over done but still delicious. Highly recommend this place for any occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014Had a pre-theatre dinner here on Saturday night with a girlfriend which was lovely. Had a quick look at the standard menu and it was very expensive. Lovely good and good service.Special Features:
- Great Fish at the Swan!AJP201Dined on 12/9/2014Following my last visit to the Swan which was disappointing on every front, this visit couldn't have been more different... Great food, great service, supported by an uncluttered, un-fussy, delicious menu!Special Features:
- Excellent experience!MSU80Dined on 10/9/2014First time there...pre-theatre meal. Food, service and ambience were all great. The fish I had was excellent, the vegetables were perfect. The vegetarian 3 course meal my wife had was fantastic and very flavourful. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Efficient meal before theatrehildaVIPDined on 10/9/2014Ate at the Swan before a performance at The Globe. The pub has this down to a system. You have to have the set pre-theatre meal, which was a problem as my partner has some specific food issues. You dine on the tight schedule that has been set up. That said, they do a good job of feeding a good number of people in good time to get to the show. The salad was innovative, with squash, chick peas, chorizo, beetroot and onions (some other things as well). The filet of plaice was tender but not quite cooked - a hard act to pull off, I imagine. A choice of desserts from the trolley. Might do this again, but there are lots of other choices in the area that are not as expensive and give you more choice.Special Features:
- A great meal!Josephine02Dined on 9/9/2014I made the booking because of the proximity of The Swan to the Globe Theatre: I live in the west country, visit London about 4 times per year and had not been to the Globe previously. What a great decision to book! The service was friendly and prompt, and the pre-theatre meal was of excellent quality. There was enough choice for even the fussiest eater. My companion and I enjoyed the food and the surroundings immensely, and would definitely return if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceArchieDined on 7/9/2014Food, service and atmosphere very good. Amazing views. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Pre Theatre DiningGlobeTheatreFan17Dined on 6/9/2014Saturday evening, fabulous moonlit views of St Pauls & London sights. Delicious steak! Waiters are not terribly attentive (work overload?). Unfortunately they served white wine at body temperature 5 times (despite request for chilled wine). Gave up & had to put ice cubes in it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.