The Swan West Malling
35 Swan Street
Kent, ME19 6JUNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Swan West Malling
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theswanwestmalling.co.uk/
- Phone: 01732521910
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Saturday
10am - 12.30am (last kitchen order at 10pm)
12pm - 10.30pm (last kitchen order at 7.30pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Scott Goss
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Event Management Away From The Swan Our dedicated events team of over 50 full time staff, headed by our experienced events manager and head chef, personally oversee the preparations for each event, whether it's a private party, wedding or large corporate event. Swan About is experienced in co-ordinating large events, with regular clients including leading personalities in the fashion, sport, media and business world. With close links to an eclectic variety of venues, Swan About can act as a venue finder as part of our bespoke service. For more information, please contact Karen Gronow
A word from The Swan West Malling
For decadent dining this super-slick restaurant on Swan Street is set inside a refurbished 15th century coaching inn, and its chic interior and the kitchen's critically-acclaimed modern British menu have already earned two AA rosettes and a Michelin listing. The Swan has already gained a loyal following with local gourmands, and foodies from further afield go gaga for the Philippe Starck furniture, chunky oak and zinc tables - and dishes such as the cheese-baked figs in a fennel and hazelnut dressing and the British seafood platter. The Swan has an excellent boutique wine list, and is a perfect spot for alfresco lunches, discreet business dining and romantic tables for two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBritish
The Swan West Malling - Best restaurants in West Malling ›
The Swan West Malling reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since 30 October 2013
special occasions (108)fit for foodies (73)romance (62)business meals (54)sunday lunch (52)brunch (49)outdoor eating (41)group bookings (32)afternoon tea (14)child friendly (12)good vegetarian options (11)outstanding value (7)disabled access (5)pre/post theatre (2)Show More
- BelgianQueenDined on 26/10/2014Late Sunday lunch, the roast beef was truly excellent, one of the best we have had. Attentive service, great menu choices and wine list with a very good broad range, wiht affordable prices. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but service too slowpatientboyDined on 26/10/2014Lovely pub and food but service was slow. Excuse was they were busy but waiting 1 hour for the main was too much Really. A bit pricey but food was good.Special Features:
- Morning after the night beforeJennyGDined on 26/10/2014We decided to have Sunday brunch at The Swan with 3 friends who had stayed the night with us following a dinner dance the previous evening to save me cooking. We all thoroughly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. It was very relaxed and a nice buzz with all the other busy tables. We were lucky that the farmers' market was on so it really made a morning of it. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for Improvement...HellsbellsDined on 25/10/2014Myself and my partner had a reservation for 9:15 on a Saturday night. When we turned up we were told to go to the bar and have a drink, which was no problem. However, we were not shown our table until 10:20 despite a member of staff telling us that it would be a five or ten minute wait. Although we did receive an apology we felt that it was a bit half hearted. The drinks at the bar were on the house but the delay in eating did take the shine off the evening. Due to it being late we just went for a main course and desert. The food was lovely as was the bottle of wine but the whole experience was nowhere near as enjoyable or special as in previous visits. We won't be rushing back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningReviewDined on 25/10/2014It was our second time at a The Swan. Great atmosphere, like London. Really good cocktails to start, comprehensive wine list. Great good. Trendy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but still not greatDmacDined on 25/10/2014Having eaten here on a number of occasions I was slightly dubious about booking for a night with my partner as our last experience was average at best. I thought the night was going to get worse once our cheddar croquettes never arrived prior to our main course, however, the Hereford beef was delicious and the cheese was soon forgotten. All in all a pleasant evening with good food (although I'll still need a few more evenings like this one to convince me that it's value for money).Special Features:
- Great restaurantKenteaterDined on 24/10/2014The Swan continues to be the best restaurant in the area with great ambience and very good food, much of which is locally sourced. Ideal for both business and social occasionsSpecial Features:
- DisappointingcupcakeDined on 20/10/2014Disappointing. I have been to the Swan several times in the past and it has been great, on this occasion however this was not the case. The service was lacking overall, one of the young male waiting staff was sarcastic when we asked for additional condiments and managed to mix up which steaks were cooked medium and which medium rare. It didn't feel welcoming, a real shame as it always had a very warm welcoming feel before. It was a special occasion for us, a work celebration, but the evening didn't leave a happy warm feeling. It may be just another day at work for the staff but to the customers this may be a very special occasion which they have planned and looked forward to and left feeling a little deflated
- Nice looking placeajg83Dined on 19/10/2014I wasn't wowed with my meal although my partner liked hers. I'm a bit of a foody and the meal was fine, just nothing better than I could have created myself. For the price (about £12 ph) I've had much tastier meals.Special Features:
- Great NightjunfanDined on 18/10/2014Took our daughter and her boyfriend here for her 21st, from beginning to end a great experience, great food, great service and a great atmosphere, highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- CelebrationpartydinerDined on 17/10/2014Great service and very helpful phone advice to plan disabled access its good to find a restaurant that makes wheelchair access just part of the normal dining experience We were a little disappointed that there is no set menu available on a Friday as this wasn't entirely clear from the information read in advance of the visit Some of our food was luke warm but this made the mutton wonderfully rested! BUT we would come again and couldn't fault the very attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect easy night!ashleyDined on 10/10/2014Great food, subtle yet attentive service and great wine list. PerfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014The staff were great and made the whole experience wonderful. They presented the great food well and were attentive but not overly so.Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodiechick44Dined on 4/10/2014After years of going to the swan and a regular customer I was very disappointed on Saturday when taking some friends there. We first ordered 12 oysters to be told sorry we have none! Not good enough when now in west malling the fancy goat and the farmhouse are becoming good competion! My friend had lamb at £ 24 pound it was just a lump of meat on a huge bone it was awful not good enough for a £210 bill!!!! Was not impressed at allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food & ServiceMr5hDined on 3/10/2014The Swan never fail to impress, the Oysters were fresh and tested amazing and went so well with the chapel down sparkling wine (IMHO it's much better than any of the champagnes they have to offer). We shared the rib eye steak which was succulent and cooked to perfection. The chef also offered 3 gluten free deserts which were not on the menu, as the menu didn't have any GF options available. Superb service!Special Features:
- enjoyable experiencealwaystryDined on 1/10/2014eat at The Swan West Malling last night. It was a friend`s birthday treat and wanted to eat out somewhere a little special than the usual. was not disappointed. service was very good, efficient, attentive and friendly. The food was well present and delicious. a little on the pricey side for everyday dining but well worth it for a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the DriveAmaryllisDined on 28/9/2014A charming old time pub that has been elegantly updated. It is light and airy making for a pleasant Sunday lunch. The service was friendly and helpful and the menu well thought out and executed. Some traditional favorites updated and some exciting new introductions.Special Features:
- Beware brunch timesejgmDined on 28/9/2014I had booked a table for brunch at 12:30, having checked on the website to see if brunch was only served up to a certain time. There was nothing on the website to say brunch wouldn't be available at lunch time. However when we arrived, we were told brunch stopped at 12 and there was nothing the kitchen could do for us from that menu. This was very disappointing as we were looking forward to a full English and some eggs, so the lunch menu really didn't appeal. On the plus side, we were impressed that they had gluten free bread for our baby and the food we did order was tasty. We will return for brunch another time, but will make sure to book earlier.Special Features:
- Just perfect...JanieFDined on 27/9/2014As always, it is a joy to eat at The Swan. My venison was beautifully cooked and my partners steak was perfection. The service is attentive, warm and friendly. One of my favourite paces to eat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary mealJP07Dined on 23/9/2014First time we have eat at the Swan, very happy with the service provided, and the set menu provided high quality food at a reasonable price. Drinks were expensive so we limited ourselves to one each. Tesco is round the corner so we stopped there on the way home and picked up a couple of bottles for the rest of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make lunch a special occasionJAYPEEDined on 23/9/2014If you are looking for a classy place to meet family or friends and enjoy a really leisurely lunch, then The Swan fits the bill. The staff were efficient, considerate and friendly without being intrusive, whilst the food was excellent. Portions, whilst not large were more than adequate for our needs.Special Features:
- Overall a bit of a disappointmentLadyofKentDined on 20/9/2014The restaurant was very noisy with a couple of large parties and conversation was difficult with the level of noise. Food was a bit of hit and miss. The crab starter was a disappointment with the best bit (crab) being at the bottom of a the dish however the gravalax was delicious and not too much. Three of us had the Beef Wellington main course. Two of them had only luke warm meat and potato. The other one was hot. Vegetables were ok. Dessert was good. Felt over priced for sitting in a noisy pub. Service was good but with 12.5% service charge it didn't feel like it. I know its discrentionary but it didn't feel that waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/9/2014Very professional service, booked everything online, everything was as promised. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WDJRUSKInDined on 13/9/2014Food seems to a gone up a notch or two since my last visit ......very nice.
- Over priced perhapsmaximusbiggusDined on 12/9/2014Service was v.good and above average. Food was bought to us in a respectable 20 mins or so. The food was presented very nicely and was as good as it looked. This isn't the place to go if you like big portion sizes but if you like high quality Gordon bleu top nosh then it ticks the box. The only gripe I had being the cost, I don't mind paying good money for good food but realistically I thought it was somewhat over priced, its not Notting Hill or Chelsea after all where you can get similar for the same money, sometimes less. And then 12.5% service charge is added rather than allowing you to make your own mind up and tip accordingly. In summary; Good food, good service, a little over priced and lousy parking.Special Features:
- CarmanDined on 11/9/2014Dinner at The swan in West Malling. Good quality food, well presented and friendly service, although occasionally slow. Fairly expensive considering the location. Have been there several times and will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in West MallingMisterdishyDined on 9/9/2014The Swan is easily the best restaurant in West Malling for fine food and ambiance. Very happy to recommend for both business and personal dining events.Special Features:
- Friends that brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/20149 friends got together for a breakfast brunch . All meals came out at the same time, it was hot and well presented. The food itself was lovely and the service was great. We had a really good relaxed time greatly assisted by friendly atmosphere and good staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumcious FoodacjingleDined on 6/9/2014Saturday evening, four friends, bubbly atmosphere and truly fantastic food. Had yet another great evening in The Swan, West Malling. Attentive, friendly and professional service as per usual. Although I state disabled access, the entrance is flat, but if you are eating outside there is a step to negotiate to eat or drink in the rear garden.Special Features:
- excellentfiremannickDined on 5/9/2014from start to finish the whole thing was fantastic, excellent food out stand waiters, attention to every detail,,have now been to The Swan twice and will definatley be going back again and againSpecial Features:
- A good mealYumyumDined on 3/9/2014Took a couple of friends here for lunch and had the set menu. This still provided a good selection and what we ordered was presented well and was very tasty. The service is good and attentive and the place had a nice relaxed atmosphere. Worth a visit.Special Features:
- OutstandingTreesDined on 25/8/2014Our first visit recommended by a friend, amazing and would definitely return. Service second to none. Food great quality and staff including the manager down to the bar staff were all extremely welcoming and friendly.Special Features:
- excellent servicebeeneatingDined on 10/8/2014Can't complain - we noted trip Advisor comments, but pressed on in any case one of us has eaten here three times and continues to be impressed for the other two it was a first appearance. The service on an early Sunday evening was appropriately attentive. Decent variety of starters with interesting flavours. The Gazpacho could have been more macho portion wise... We all had excellent roast beef and were too full for deserts. Bread and water on the table, just as it should be. Parking was a minor issue - allowed us to walk down the dinner!Special Features:
- Almost thereKentyDined on 2/8/2014Friendly service, good outside eating area and good value. Super sized pancakes which were delicious but needed to be much more generous with the blueberries & strawberries. I had about 6 on my plate!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassyJC77Dined on 2/8/2014The swan is consistently good-good, service and atmosphere excellent as ever...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemFood4meDined on 27/7/2014This restaurant has got it just right. Relaxed and informal, but everything oozes quality. We had a table in the courtyard and the atmosphere was great, feeling somewhat continental. We had Sunday brunch, full English and cooked to perfection. Coupled with two extra tasty freshly squeezed grapefruit, orange, lemon & lime juices, such a great way to spend a Sunday morning. The staff are so attentive without being imposing. We are now hooked and will be regulars on a Sunday morning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!Kmo24Dined on 27/7/2014Amazing food, staff and venue!! Definitely be making another visit in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lively atmosphere.DeeDeeDined on 26/7/2014We haven't been to The Swan for almost a year but it still remains one of our local favourites. Service was friendly, polite and efficient - no pressure for us to vacate our table for the next sitting either. Dinner menu was varied, although we found the choice of staters a little disappointing. The daily special was amazing - good portion size too. We left the restaurant feeling satisfied in terms of quantity and quality. Prices a touch on the high side, but not eye-wateringly so. Overall; good value.Special Features:
- Slightly dissappointedjlovetoeatoutDined on 12/7/2014Starters options were too fishy, need some other choices. Bottle of wine was kept in ice bucket away from the table and had an empty glass for a long time. Ordered a drink from the bar and it took so long I had to ask if it had been ordered. Food was very good but quite expensive and it does annoy me when they add 12.5% service charge. We were only a table of 2 and service charge should be optional.Special Features:
- Best Brunch!LangersDined on 12/7/2014Amazing food, great juices and smoothies too - a real weekend treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.