54 Formosa Street
London, W9 2JUNeighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thewaterway.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072663557
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00PM - 3:30PM, Saturday - Sunday 12:00PM - 6:00PM Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:30PM - 10:30PM, Sunday 6:30PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate large groups either in our bar area or on our outdoor terrace. Please call the restaurant to make a reservation for parties of 9 or more. The entire restaurant can be rented to seat up to 54 people.
A word from The Waterway
The Waterway is a stylish bar and restaurant in Maida Vale, West London. Our menu is predominantly French and Modern European and focuses on delivering classic brasserie dishes. We also have a large, south-facing outdoor terrace that is open throughout the summer period. On the terrace, we offer a light grill menu for an alfresco dining experience by the Grand Union Canal. In addition, our wine list focuses on French wines but incorporates some great New World wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Waterway - Best restaurants in Maida Vale ›
The Waterway reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since 21 May 2014
outdoor eating (141)sunday lunch (72)brunch (60)romance (53)special occasions (49)group bookings (42)fit for foodies (28)business meals (22)child friendly (20)afternoon tea (15)good vegetarian options (13)outstanding value (12)disabled access (12)pre/post theatre (5)Show More
- Good FoodslajukDined on 28/8/2014The food at the Waterway was tasty. I wasn't please with the service as the waiters abandoned our table almost half the time we were there. But they paid attention to us as the evening went on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location on the CanalchazzVIPDined on 24/8/2014Love this place, it is one of my local restaurants and i tried it for the first time recently. Food was delicious, great selection on a Saturday lunch time, excellent portions and vast drink selection. I would say that it is quite family oriented, therefore lookout for the kids running about , but apart from that its fine. I will def be returning for some late evening nibbles. The service was also fantastic by our waitress.Special Features:
- Terrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 22/8/2014All very nice except the food. Better burger and chips at GBK !Special Features:
- nickDined on 3/8/2014The location is very nice along the Canal (we had a table outside) and staff friendly. We shared two started (grilled squid and goat cheese fritters), but we didn't really like them: they were quite simple and the squid not very tasty. As main we had burgers with chips: the meat was very nice and well cooked (the highlight of the whole meal) and we really enjoyed it. The chips were tasty, but were supposed to be with rosemary and only few of them tasted of it. Great you can order a caraffe of wine, if you don't need more to drink. In general if was a nice evening in a nice location with xdecent food: we will definitely go again, although we may focus more on the mains next timeSpecial Features:
- Lunch hot spot, a local favouriteLondonNicDined on 3/8/2014Lovely setting by the canal and a local favourite. A short menu with summery options and a great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosyDined on 30/7/2014A very pleasant discovery, will go there again definitely!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceedudecaDined on 27/7/2014Waiter recommended a wine but should have showed me on the menu. For my surprise when I asked for the bill and £59 wine which I though that was extremely expensive for what it is...ill never order again anything before I check the price on the menu. The bill was brought to me before I even ask..very unpolite! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Summer PubJT74VIPDined on 24/7/2014The Waterway on a Summers Day is the perfect pub. The Outdoor Terrace overlooking the Grand Union Canal in Little Venice is large and covered, giving the best of both worlds, tables in the sun and shade. Great range of Summer Jugs and a simple menu with good choices, from Classic Burgers to Salads and Sharing Platters. The food is always excellant and fresh. The service is good, although can be slightly slow or relaxed at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent atmosphereLuanaDined on 20/7/2014Love this place. Never seems to fail. Great food fit for every occasion, excellent service and good vibe. Pretty pumping for a sunday night. A bit pricey but worthed.Special Features:
- FantasticGirl100Dined on 20/7/2014Absolutely amazing. The staff are so so so pleasant!! The food is to die for and the service is impeccable. I love this place !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food in a great settingarmourtilloDined on 14/7/2014I went here for a nice lunch in the sun last week,we had some fried cheese and marmalade to start which was tasty, i had the chicken burger and my girl friend had the beef burger, both were very nice. This place isn't fine dining its nice food done well and done pretty quickly. The view really makes it on a summer day. The service was excellent the waiter was attentive, polite and speedy. I would definitely go back again, I'd like to try their Sunday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeRiLondonDined on 13/7/2014The location was lovely and if the weather's nice eating out on the terrace is beautiful. Perfect for groups of friends to meet up.Food might be a bit pricey but worth it. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very crowded still deliveredJeremys1VIPDined on 13/7/2014We went for lunch on a hot lovely July Sunday. The place was packed but we'd booked a got a nice seat on the terrace with a view of the canal. Athough the staff were run off their feet, our food arrived promptly and was really great. Excellent Tuna steak cooked perfectly (sashimi in the middle) and chicken skewers that were delicious. They did a great job and it was really comfortable and enjoyable - despite the really busy crowds!Special Features:
- Saturday brunchBiondoloDined on 12/7/2014Nice atmosphere, with good food and good drinks. A special mention for the Eton mess.Special Features:
- Good and badAlezDined on 11/7/2014Good location and a great layout. Could almost be on the Cote D'azur. Food is good, albeit limited menu if sitting outside. Main issues were the service (lack of knowledge, too intrusive) and they kick you out at 11. I realise its a licensing issue but the way we were hurded out, and told we couldnt have a post dinner drink inside just put a dampener on the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good All RounderrhonadownieDined on 11/7/2014I went here for my boyfriend's birthday. I had asked the restaurant to give us a quiet / romantic table, which they did. I thought this was a great sign. I was ready to give them five stars, even if there was only one vegetarian main option on the menu (instead I ordered a vegetarian starter as a double portion, which was twice the price of the starter, and worked out as more than a meat main course). I had also requested that they put a candle in my boyfriend's desert. However they forgot this. So I left feeling a bit disappointed. It was still a nice meal though. But I probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentAlexDined on 2/7/2014Delicious food chosen from a menu that is imaginative without trying too hard. Attentive and friendly service. From day one this place has worked and they still deliver time after time.Special Features:
- WaterwayCapitanDined on 29/6/2014We had a nice evening here although having specifically booked a table outside(the whole point of going all the way here) we were told upon arrival that a table inside was ready for us. After quite a heated discussion with the person at the desk we managed to get one outside but there was no apology or explanation. The food was good and the portions, generous. The waiting staff were lovely. I'm not a fan of outdoor heaters and they were on and quite close to our heads. I asked to turn ours off but the table next door weren't happy about this, so they turned it down a little. Other than that we had a very nice evening. However, I would say if you're going to allow booking on outside tables, please make sure there is one available please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor seatingCassavaDined on 26/6/2014Super place to sit outdoors (best to book) very good service, busy buzz. Food looks good but we didn't eat - drinks were nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShellcoDined on 25/6/2014Enjoyable evening sitting out on the terrace. For me the only negative comment would be that although we were outside we were under an awning and people smoking around us was not very pleasant. Smoke is 'trapped' and just swirls around. Unpleasant. Other than that food, service and being able to sit by the canal on a warm summer evening was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in the SunMrsOKDined on 25/6/2014really friendly staff and a tasty menu. Great to be outside in the sun watching the world go by, felt like being on holiday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ambience but pretentiousPistachioDined on 21/6/2014I've been to the Waterway several times now and I always leave a touch disappointed. The wait-staff are lovely and the venue has a very comfortable indoor seating area as well as the lovely outdoor terrace and garden area which makes it extremely popular on sunny days. The food however leaves a lot to be desired and, for the price you pay, is extremely underwhelming. The drinks are nice too but, again, very overpriced. You're paying for the venue and for the clientele, some of whom are there simply to be seen but, in my opinion, spoil the dining experience.Special Features:
- Great meal, not the best timing!JimTobalDined on 19/6/2014The food was brilliant (had the squid, tuna steak and salmon), waiters were all attentive, friendly and helpful (even if there was a slight feeling they wanted to get you served and to get the table freed up again). Sadly had booked a long time ago - turns out there was an England match on, which meant the place was a bit louder than I would have liked. Price-wise, it was reasonable value (it is quite pricey but you do get a high standard of food).Special Features:
- Great location but disappointingzou2Dined on 15/6/2014The Waterway is really well located but when you arrive and your table is stuck in the middle of two others with almost not even space to sit down and that the hostess tells you that in less than 2 hours this table is booked, you just want to leave! WE did stay, service and food were alright, nothing fantastic but fine, just a bit expensive for what you get. I would just recommend this place for drinks and nibbles if you feel like sharing a big jar of Pimm's on a Sunday afternoon.
- Enjoyable lunch4happyaussiesDined on 14/6/2014We were meeting friends from Auatralia and thought this restaurant would be something different . It certainly exceeded our expectations and everyone enjoyed their meal and sitting by the canal watching the narrow boats go past .. It's certainly a place and area to remember and bring other Australian friends to experience .Special Features:
- BayswaterbonviveurDined on 12/6/2014Great location by the canal in Little Venice - made the most of by a large outside terrace. We went on a hot summer's evening and the place was packed. It serves as half bar half restaurant. Lots of people just there for a drink so all very lively. Food fine - nothing fancy. Service ok and pretty organised considering how busy it was.Special Features:
- Portions somewhat meandonkeygirl63Dined on 11/6/2014I was just a bit disappointed by the portion of spatchcock chicken that I ordered from the terrace menu, it was £17.50 and was very small with a slaw on the side. Whilst I would not advocate larger portions per se, maybe if that is the size of the chicken the price should reflect it and be perhaps £13.50 and i do not think that if this was a all male party their appetites would have been satisfied. There was however no concern about the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trailplaneDined on 6/6/2014The cooking was poor ,The fillet steak was cooked in the over not on a pan or grill , so no flavour, its a sin to treat a good steak like that no sign being sealed, poor show. The lamb chops were served on plate of beetroot juice , poorly presented, not nice at all. The plates were covered in too much salad, the veg was served cold. The service was good for such a busy place.Special Features:
- Lovely location, sloppy serviceJenthedinerVIPDined on 6/6/2014Finally, a nice hot summer day. Great location and handy for paddington, but the service was very patchy. Staff seemed to be rowing amongst themselves and not giving tables much attention after they had taken the initial order.Special Features:
- Quality droppedCindy23Dined on 1/6/2014I have been there before and the quality has dropped while the prices remain the same or higher. The menu changed as well, with less options for dinner. Too expensive for the quality and variety offered.Special Features:
- Nice venue offering decent foodGourmetDined on 23/5/2014The Waterway offers nice food but we found the choice on the menu quite limited. Also, the desserts particularly the homemade chocolates were a let-down. However, it has a nice ambiance inside the restaurant and it wasn't too loud on a Friday night which made it a good venue for a catch-up with some friends. The terrace area is lovely making it an ideal venue on a sunny day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 23/5/2014We had a lovely evening! The staff were lovely and the food was excellent. The ambience was also very good. Not sure if you do this already, however a DJ on a Friday night or Saturday night playing some chilled house tunes would go down a treat!! I'm definitely keen to come again soon! Top place :-)Special Features:
- Excellent eveningTomPDined on 23/5/2014Nice friendly service and good food. Tasty food. Good value special of lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent eveningGordo78Dined on 22/5/2014I would highly recommend the waterway, great food, fantastic service and since we dined on a thursday, excellent live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABab89Dined on 17/5/2014amazing little gastropub to enjoy in the sunshine by the canalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AmbienceHevLVIPDined on 11/5/2014My boyfriend's burger was VERY tasty. My eggs benedict, however, were not. The egg was fresh but the hollondaise (sp??) was tasteless and spoilt the meal for me. The waiting staff were helpful and stored our rucksacks for us. I might go back but I've had better breakfasts before and, unfortunately, with so many to choose in London, it means that those that don't impress me at first bite, lose out :(
- Great but...MarieDined on 9/5/2014The service was wonderful, the food excellent .. But it was too noisy.. My mum got some trouble hearing and it was quiet painful all evening.Special Features:
- Safe bet and great burgerLittleVenetianDined on 6/5/2014We frequently go to waterway and never disappointed. Staff is friendly, food is good, the ambience is good. Prices are not cheap but for the quality of the food it's fine.Special Features:
- Bank holiday lunchJIGdineDined on 5/5/2014Very buzzy very busy restaurant. Although we were told they couldn't guarantee us an outside table we had one. Food good not outstanding service very good considering how very busy they were. It''s one of our locals so will definitely be going againSpecial Features:
- Could be betterLyndallodeonDined on 4/5/2014I love the waterway and previously have always had good experiences, however this Sunday (before Bank holiday) the service was quite disappointing. Our waiter made us feel quite awkward with rather inapprorpriate remarks about not gettingp aid his tips and therefore he was quitting etc. We had to wait too long to be served in the first instance and hen in between drinks/food and the bill too. The original waiter got transferred to another section of the restuarant and then our new server was much friendlier and 'on it' in reference to service.Special Features: