3 Melville Place
Edinburgh, EH3 7PRNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.thewestroom.co.uk/
- Phone: 01316299868
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and Saturday to Sunday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Brunch: Saturday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and Sunday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Lunch: Monday to Friday from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm and Saturday to Sunday from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Diner: Monday to Friday from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm and Saturday to Sunday from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The WestRoom
The WestRoom is a cosy bar/bistro in Edinburgh’s bustling West End. The beautifully appointed venue has developed a reputation for excellence as a result of the friendly ambience and excellent food & drink offering. The bar prides itself on a small but perfectly formed menu which pays homage to classic British cookery. Take a step in the right direction and join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner at The WestRoom. The term gastro-pub has become all too prevalent in recent years, however, the WestRoom’s commitment to locally sourced ingredients of the highest quality and honest, flavoursome food has seen it gain a cult following amongst the City’s notoriously demanding diners. The bar’s weekly Sunday roast has also become something of an Edinburgh Institution and regularly sells out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The WestRoom reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since 24 May 2014
brunch (31)outstanding value (21)sunday lunch (17)pre/post theatre (16)group bookings (12)business meals (11)fit for foodies (9)afternoon tea (4)child friendly (4)romance (3)special occasions (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- Very small portions, not good valueFairandBalancedDined on 24/8/2014Firstly, there was nothing wrong with the food. It was tasty and hot. The problem was the portion size. My companion ordered a large scallop risotto. This came on a large plate however only about three spoonfuls of risotto (smoothed out) and one scallop cut in half. This was a large!? Very poor value for over £11. I must say the food was lovely, we just wouldn't rush back.
- disappointingMac243Dined on 19/8/2014I've enjoyed drinks here on several occasions and had great service so thought would try the food as the menu looks quite good for something light. however, it was overall pretty disappointing, asian chicken salad had no flavour of anything at all and the meat was rather grissly. My other salad of goats cheese and beetroot was ok but have had much better elsewhere and the chips were disappointingly soggy. Service also only so so on this occasion, waitress forgetting things so may have been an off night as I like this bar and the staff on previous occasions have been really good. I would still recommend for drinks and cocktails.Special Features:
- Good food, friendly serviceJonnyDined on 10/8/2014We were very pleased with the west room. Great food at a very good price. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The WestroomStevieVIPDined on 6/6/2014Second visit here and will definately be booking the third. We live in Bournemouth and have decided this will be our local from now on in whenever we venture north.. Faultless!!!Special Features:
- Excellent!2much2eatDined on 29/5/2014The Westroom far exceeded my expectations. We were attended to promptly on arrival and were made to feel very welcome. The food was fantastic - the handmade burger was great as were the mussels. I'd definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely again!avcroDined on 9/5/2014This was my third visit to the West Room and I am never disappointed! It was noisy because it was Friday after work and there's a great buzz. I was early but that was no problem and I got a table straight away. The service was second to none from both the young lady and young man who served my dinner. I asked for no peas with my fish and chips and was immediately offered another vegetable. The food was as lovely as always. My dessert was an amazing apple and rhubarb crumble freshly prepared and unlike any crumble I've tasted. Top marks to everyone and I'll certainly be back and would recommend to friends. The 20% off food makes this a really good deal too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The West Room nails itHungryinEdinburghDined on 29/4/2014My wife and I went for lunch on her recommendation and we now both love the place and have been back a good few times now. The food and wine are delicious and at a very reasonable price. The decor is a mixture of the traditional and modern which is right on the money with a comfortable layout for dining away from the bar. The place can get busy during weekends but never feels like bar patrons are spilling out into the dining area, unlike some places in Edinburgh. Very attentive staff make sure that you are looked after without being intrusive and it all feels very natural, which is a big plus. Just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestroomStevieVIPDined on 12/4/2014Firtst time to this bar/restaurant and it won't be the last. Terrific ambience allied to good food and great service - a perfect cocktail!!!Special Features:
- Great first time visitWasItWorthItDined on 13/3/2014Great food, great service - attention to detail noticeable; we loved the steaks and had a great evening, and are now looking forward to a revisit :-)Special Features:
- Different Chef?JambosDined on 3/3/2014Second visit in space of a month. 1st time was superb, food was excellent. This time was different unfortunately. No Scotch egg for a starter!! The steak was very poor this time, very fatty piece of meat. Sauce a bit runny and chips not as crunchy. That's said, I really like the setting, and the staff very friendly. Hopefully this occasion was a one off bad experience. I'll probably go back but not for a couple of weeks!I would recommend this to a friend.
- 'Wee gem' in the West EndHappy2DineDined on 15/2/2014Fantastic food(the best burgers ever!!) Great service and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West RoomJambosDined on 14/2/2014Simple but great food. Went with the wife for Valentine's Day meal. I had scotch egg and HP sauce to start, which was superb. Wife had the soup which she said was perfect as well. Both had steak for mains which was cooked perfectly and had no gristle. Only complaint about food was that it was so good that wife ate all hers (I normally finish what she leaves) Service excellent as as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great. Nice placetoptableDined on 13/2/2014Service was great. Nice place for drinks. Very disappointing food.
- Nice vibe and Non fussy foodLuvinglunchDined on 21/1/2014Menu had good variety. Nice feel about the venue and the food was very good, well presented but not too fussy perfect for a business lunch. I would definitely recommend and go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightEct30Dined on 6/12/2013I went to the Westroom with a couple of girlfriends, we were looking for a cool bar with good food and a cocktail menu. We were in the right place, food was really good and the cocktails great, actually I just ask if they would do a strawberry daiquiri and no prob, there it was. Great placefor a good girlie night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great meal. We allRegularVIPDined on 1/12/2013We had a great meal. We all really enjoyed the new menu. I loved the sunday roast, one friend had the duck leg stovies while the other friend had the haddock risotto. We thoroughly enjoyed our mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Westroom EdinburghSuzanneDined on 17/11/2013The starters of haggis spring rolls and corn beef hash were lovely and a decent size. Unfortunately, the 2 mains we wanted to order had run out (steak and fishcakes) so instead we both had the Sunday roast. Whilst the roast was tasty enough it was slightly disappointing as all we got was 3 slices of meat, 3 roast potatoes and a spoonful of carrots. With any Sunday roast I've had elsewhere I got yorkshire puds and a plate full of various veg/potatoes. I would go back but wouldn't have the roast again. The service was quite slow, we sat for about 20 mins after they'd taken our mains plates away and no-one asked us if we wanted dessert or coffee and in the end i had to go to the bar and ask for the bill. Decent value with the 20% off though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visit to The WestroomJenelaineDined on 17/10/2013We've visited the Westroom before and used the 20% off food offer you book through toptable and we did the same again this time. The food was still as delicious and the service was just as good. Would recommend this to anyone who fancies a nice, non-expensive meal out with friends or partner. It had a great atmosphere and loads of drinks on offer should you want to stay on after your meal and make a night of it!
- The Westroom continue to provide,RegularVIPDined on 11/10/2013The Westroom continue to provide, great food, great sevice and great value. The Sunday roasts are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Great ValueComposerDined on 11/10/2013Thoroughly enjoyed our meal at The WestRoom. started off with a very tasty cocktail then was spoiled for choice with starters and mains. Wine by the glass was good value and dessert of warm banana bread and ice cream was delicious. Overall, very impressed by the food, ambience and friendly efficient service. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly the yummiest burger aroundEnjoyYourMealDined on 9/10/2013Good deal with 20% off food. Dined with a friend and we both shared a starter plus we both had a burger for dinner. The burger was incredible. Lovely, fresh home made. Fresh salad, lovely tasting bun. Accompanied by crispy warm chips. I would definitely go back here. Service was friendly and polite, however, we did feel they could be a little bit more attentive. It wasn't that busy, however we did wait just a little while longer than we would have expected to be asked to make a drink order. Perhaps there was some confusion as we should have ordered the bar, however when you have a dinner reservation this is not the norm. Not a huge deal however. Quite a tiny place so just to bear that in mind, everyone else can hear your conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchClaireDined on 29/9/2013Offer a great Sunday Lunch/Brunch option with amazing service. We were able to sit for a few hours reading the Sunday papers without being rushed out. Lovely locationSpecial Features:
- excellentfranzDined on 28/9/2013Excallent service and nice ambience in this little restaurant and bar. Food good but not particularly fancy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a cool barPKfoodieDined on 21/9/2013This cool bar that serves a good range of excellent cocktails also has a pretty good kitchen. I would describe the food as modern British fusion style food as my starter was Haggis spring rolls, which were excellent and then some excellent fish and chips. My friend had the potato soup and some of the best fish cakes he'd ever eaten. With the 20% deal through Toptable the value was excellent but I would have been happy to pay full price at other times for this quality of food. The bar had excellent ambience with most people in there for drinks and socialising which gave the place a good buzz about it.Special Features:
- The following 234 reviews are from the The WestRoom reviews archive.
- Amazing Food, Fun LocationveryPleasedDined on 9/9/2013The food was really inventive and tasted amazing. The interior design was fantastic-really creative without being pretentious. It was a shame there wasn't more separation between the food and bar area but it wasn't really a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Fod, Great SurroundingsKCFoodDined on 6/9/2013Upon arrival I was impressed with the fresh yet cosy interior and the friendly welcome that we received. We ordered the fish and chips and the mac n cheese and both dishes came out hot , well presented and most importantly they were delicious and filling (well sized portions). In addition to the food and surroundings the special touches and quirky detail make the dining experience all the more interesting. The table water is served in classic glass milk bottles, the homemade condiments come in little kilner jars, the salt for the table is served in marble egg cups. I feel this attention to detail across all aspects (food, service, atmosphere) at the West Room will make sure you have an enjoyable visit and leave with a smile on your face.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The West RoomlovefoodDined on 2/9/2013We arrived a bit early and were offered our seats right away. The staff were very nice and friendly and also attentive. The food was lovely with a good choice on the menu. All in all we had a nice lunch in a nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like it..CocktailQueenDined on 23/8/2013Small venue with good food and cocktails. Can be very busy. Only downside is toilets downstairs..not too good if you enjoy a cocktail or few!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely find & good for breakfast!HEVS01VIPDined on 16/8/2013We liked this place so much we ate here twice within 2 days! Food was lovely, service was good and very good value for money. Tucked away but still very central, I shall be returning as soon as I'm back in Edinburgh!Special Features:
- Great good and atmosphere!JenelaineDined on 7/8/2013The food here was fantastic (we had the Brie and haggis sping rolls for starter which were delicious and the steaks for main). It was a birthday meal out and I had forgotten the candles for the chocolate brownie we ordered and the waitress went out to Sainsburies to buy some for us! Amazing service and great atmosphere - even changed the music when we asked. Would definitely recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum and funCalliDined on 7/8/2013Randomly booked a table for 2 for lunch and everything was just lovely. Had great service, really friendly, helpful and funny, the food was super tasty and everyone in the place seemed really happy. Good times :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant Sunday roast lunchmexicanacheeseDined on 4/8/2013After finding they do a roast lunch option I rung & checked that this Sunday was beef then headed straight there. Lovely interior, friendly service and, at the table granted, an incredibly comfy seat. The roast was delicious with the home made horseradish sauce a nice finishing touch. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good food and great service!SuzaliDined on 13/7/2013Although busy we had a great lunch here on a saturday staff very friendly and attentive but not to the point of being annoying. Good food at reasonable prices and seeing the size of the kitchen we were amazed by what they could produce from sucha small space. Would go back anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alrighttaxi4dougDined on 7/7/2013went on sunday after andy murrays historical victory. we both had sunday roast food was well cooked, but not great decor was very bright and cheerful staff were friendly and efficientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but perfectly formedSMcKDined on 4/7/2013West Room is a tiny restaurant that looks like a bar from the outside but does have some more restaurant seating towards the back. The menu is small but has well balanced options. Service was quick and efficient event though the bar was busy. Credit where credit due, they also know how to make a killer cocktail. Definitely worth a visit.
- DindinsmealmanagerDined on 26/6/2013Five of us went for dinner to celebrate my niece's graduation. The girls really enjoyed the cocktails to share from a teapot. The staff were very friendly, cheerful and helpful. But the food was a bit tasteless - The mussels in sauce were good but the haggis in the starter was bland and my husband complained that his haddock had little flavour. The portions were also very small and there wren't any vegetables to accompany the mains, but they made up a mixed salad when we asked for it. Not really what I had been expecting, more a place for a drink after work than for a celebration meal.Special Features:
- The meal at The Westroom wasRegularVIPDined on 22/6/2013The meal at The Westroom was as good as always. The friendly, helpful staff always make it a good experience too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Cinema DinnerStephenN74Dined on 15/6/2013Enjoyed a lovely 2 course meal with my wife. Had no room for dessert after my sizeable portion of fish & chips (which was lovely). As ever, nice relaxed atmosphere in the restaurant, and staff were as attentive & as friendly as always. Only negative was a slight delay in receiving my main meal as they brought out the 'hamburger' meal by mistake. Overall, very satisfied.Special Features:
- Tasty food at good pricesYumyumfoodDined on 8/6/2013We booked through toptable and got 20% off the a la carte menu. The menu wasn't that pricey anyway but the discount made it a great evening! The food was tasty and a good size. It's handy as well for the west end of Edinburgh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service continues to beRegularVIPDined on 24/5/2013The service continues to be excellent, noise level at times stops the experience from being 10/10Special Features: