The White Hart at Fyfield
Abingdon, OX13 5LWNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The White Hart at Fyfield
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.whitehart-fyfield.com/
- Phone: 01865390585
- Hours of Operation:
Tues - Sat: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 7:00pm - 9:30pm Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from The White Hart at Fyfield
A mere seven miles from the centre of Oxford, The White Hart is nonetheless the ultimate country pub. In a former chantry house dating back to the 15th century, its setting – in the picturesque village of Fyfield - is stunning. With its soaring Great Hall and intimate Minstrel’s Gallery, roaring log fire and pretty terrace bursting with aromatic herbs, The White Hart is not only cosily beautiful but offers a warm, village welcome too. With a passion for provenance, the kitchen not only sources food from the very best suppliers but grows much of the fruit and vegetables used on site while even bread, pasta and ice cream is handmade fresh on site. Frequently changing, the menus rely purely on what is fresh and available, ensuring food which delivers above and beyond typical pub grub.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The White Hart at Fyfield - Best restaurants in Fyfield ›
The White Hart at Fyfield reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since 23 October 2013
fit for foodies (10)special occasions (9)sunday lunch (3)outdoor eating (3)romance (3)business meals (2)outstanding value (2)group bookings (2)child friendly (1)good vegetarian options (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- FoodieDined on 12/9/2014We.was stopping in oxford for the weekend and googled local places to eat. What a gem we came across, food was excellent, the portions was just right , and.i was able to have a pudding too! For those wine experts, you had a selection of dessert wines on the pudding list. Well done to the attention to detail. Staff very friendly, the place was great too.Special Features:
- Worth the tripDerby1Dined on 29/8/20142nd time dining at the White Hart .Fantastic food and lovely service well worth the 80 mile round tripSpecial Features:
- Always excellent quality and valuetopgrunterDined on 20/8/2014The White Hart puts on a consistently high quality menu with variety of price of options. The wine selection is also quite broad catering to just about all tastes. Tried the supper club on Wednesday - excellent value. See you soon.Special Features:
- Great find in rural OxfordshirenickdavinciDined on 25/7/2014The current owners need to be congratulated for the stylish gastropub that they have produced. The building itself is a wonderful old thing that is clearly lovingly restored, but still in keeping with its history. The food is wonderful, very tasty and imaginative. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely return and recommend this place. We were informed by the owners of the place we stayed at that the White Hart had always been a good pub, but that after the current owners took over, they have turned it into a foodies heaven. I have to agree !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2014The second time we have visited this restaurant and consistently as good as the first time. A lovely old beamed dining-room with doors open to a walled garden in the summer. Professional welcoming staff, relaxed and informal yet with an eye for detail. The 'sharing' plates are a good idea for the undecided. Our fish was cooked to perfection with most imaginative accompaniments. A broad and reasonably-priced wine list. We will take every opportunity and any excuse to return as soon as possible!Special Features:
- Almost perfectPippaDined on 22/5/2014We recently had a very enjoyable anniversary dinner at The White Hart. When we arrived, from the outside nothing prepared us for the stunning interior of this 15th century former chantry house. The staff was very welcoming and, throughout the evening, attentive and courteous. For our starters we both had asparagus with Parma ham and crispy egg, simply delicious! The desserts too were excellent. We would have given 5 stars for food except that, though perfectly cooked, the main course rib eye steak had too much fat and the Béarnaise sauce was somewhat overpowering. At £100 for two of us, especially as we each had only one glass of wine, we felt it was a little pricey but not so much that we won't go back again.Special Features:
- Never disappointsnickpalDined on 5/3/2014Oxfordhshire is not short of pubs which do meals. Some of them are very good but few can match the White Hart for quality, service and value. The fairly short menu (always a good sign in my book) offers both the familiar and the unusual. Whatever you choose it will be well cooked and beautifully presented. Prices are similar to those in the area but represent much better value. The service is always relaxed and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 54 reviews are from the The White Hart at Fyfield reviews archive.
- We got lost on the way andSurreyLilyDined on 6/10/2013We got lost on the way and the staff called us to make sure we were on our way .When we arrived we were served immediately by a very smiling lady who made us feel very welcome .I am not a meat person but I thought I would try the Sunday roast which was delicious . I highly recommend this place which has the most delightful garden area and is in a lovely little village outside Oxford plus the food was traditional but inventive too with lots of flavours ! we shall come back and this time we will make sure we do not get lost in Abingdon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love!sujawiDined on 28/9/2013recommended this place by a foodie...we love discovering new places around oxford & this was worth the exploration. completely ambient & a rave of the wine list & food by my french husband. highly recommended & the higher price is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice easy fine food2FlavourtheMonthDined on 6/8/2013I occasionally meet a friend for lunch and we recently discovered the White Hart as it is equidistant from our two homes. Once again this week it proved a good choice. Both courses were well cooked and presented despite the narwhale piece of cracking on my belly pork almost not making it to the table. And the slated caramel ice-cream was a dream, especially for my guest who managed to consume some of mine with his meringue confection. The wine was served at a perfect temperature and the tap water had no taste of chlorine common to much Thames Water product. The staff were as quietly efficient and attentive as usual and our table in the 'Bishop's Parlour' was perfect. In fact I couldn't fault anythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice village gastropubAnopheles5050VIPDined on 6/8/2013Second visit to the White Hart. Set in a nice looking village but easy to find and with good parking. Seems reasonably popular although not packed. Good lunch menu at a reasonable price. Friendly staff. Have to drive to get there so didn't try out the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!LoveGoodFoodDined on 12/7/2013A really lovely restaurant. Service was fabulous and the food was amazing, with good sized portions. Definitely value for money. No complaints to make. Looking forward to visiting again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but!kmc1702Dined on 13/6/2013The food here is outstanding, albeit the menu is a little confusion, and prices are at the high end for what it is. We were served up on the balcony, all on our own, which is the place to be, if the staff remember you are there! It really niggles when sides are overpriced, and four half slices of bread at £3 is just having a laugh. Shame these aspects detract from a great chef at work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub v restaurantprofVIPDined on 27/4/2013Have eaten here often. As a pub it is good. It has great character, pretty good food (for a pub), casual Aussie bar staff and you put up with the outdoor gents. But the prices are very high indeed - even by London restaurant standards. A main course with a couple of sides (which you'll need) can easily be £25. So it's beginning to feel like its prices have become too ambitious for the pub that it is. It's a shame because its a good pub. But at these prices there's a lot better on offer elsewhere and they have better loos.
- Spot onShellDined on 20/4/2013A lovely old character building in rural Oxfordshire with outstanding food and a lovely atmosphere. What more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was an excellent dinnerkiskaDined on 12/4/2013it was an excellent dinner venue, and we liked the service, the staff is professional, and visiting teh restaurants is a pleasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Lunch at White Hartgoes4qualityDined on 7/4/2013Pleasant atmosphere, very helpful staff and good food made for a relaxing Sunday Lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just gets better and better!LeedsScotDined on 30/3/2013Over the period of 3 years have now eaten at the White Hart four times and it just continues to excel. Given there was six of us we tried a variety of dishes and the standard of cooking and presentation was excellent. Also a good choice of local draught beers that are also well kept.Special Features:
- anniversary mealnot2oftenDined on 8/3/2013we have been to the white hart before and once again we were not disappointed. The food was excellent and service very good. Nice friendly ambiance not stuffy or pretentious. Not a cheap option but great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to meet friendsBillDined on 21/2/2013Found this place last year. Wanted somewhere to meet friends who live in Lemington and this was about half way for us. Had a very good meal, the beer is well presented and were more than eager to meet up again at the white Hart,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SettingsimmoDined on 1/2/2013Booked at very short notice for an early meal for 3. From the moment we arrived we were treated wonderfully - an excellent balance between privacy and attention followed throughout the evening. The starters were exceptional and the main meals equally so; of particular note was the presentation - first class. The local ale from the Loose Cannon Brewery in Abingdon was excellent. All in all, a great evening at a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive food and ambienceadpjDined on 31/1/2013Greeted by the warmth of a wood burning stove and the impressive high ceilings and exposed old timber, the White Hart set up the occasion for this business lunch with a long-standing client. In the past, we were used to venues in Canary Wharf, but I took a gamble on something out in the country. The venue and ambience were equally matched by the food with a set lunch menu offering sufficient choice. The starter of Fowey mussels on Cheddar Valley toast was simply mouthwatering and the main of wild mushroom suet pudding was a great surprise and delicious. We both felt comfortable having local beer to accompany, although the wine list looked impressive, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food , great service .EviebDined on 10/11/2012We had a lovely meal here, with waiter and waitresses very attentive and helpful. The food was delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed it . The 15th century building is a former Chantry House, very sympathetically restored but we felt that the interior especially the beautiful high wood panelled pitch roofed room was a bit cold and uninviting , it would benefit from some warm colours and perhaps lighting which is not quite so bright. Definitely worth eating here though !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchdiningoutDined on 4/11/2012First time to the restaurant. Great atmosphere. The service was generally very good but the younger staff rather showed their inexperience. The food was a little uneven. Some of was really good notably my wife's main course and my dessert. I enjoyed my main course but it was notable that half my beef was top notch and the other half rather lacked flavour. The beer is really good and overall very good value. We will go again.Special Features:
- THE WHITE HART IS A GREATBearDined on 20/5/2012THE WHITE HART IS A GREAT PLACE FOR AN UPMARKET COUNTRY LUNCH
- Pleasant venue, staff attentiveAnopheles5050VIPDined on 4/4/2012Pleasant venue, staff attentive and efficient, food good quality and portion size about right. Lunch special at £19 for three courses good value.
- The potato and garlic soupAlisonDined on 22/3/2012The potato and garlic soup at The White Hart, Fyfield was divine, and I had the lamb rump for the first time - superb! Such a great restaurant. Felt the pudding menu was a little below par - as we come into warmer weather perhaps a nice light mousse would be a good addition.
- Chose the White Hart as itBillDined on 16/2/2012Chose the White Hart as it was about half way between our place and that of our friends. It proved an excellent choice. Setting is good. The beer was excellent. The staff friendly and the meal was one of the best I've ever had and the price for the set lunch was very reasonable for the quality provided.
- The White Hart at FyfieldOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 28/1/2012The White Hart at Fyfield was a very good place to have lunch. The staff were very friendly and the food was delicious.
- The White Hart, Fyfield, nearOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 18/12/2011The White Hart, Fyfield, near Oxford. Chose this pub restaurant because of good reviews and it didn't disappoint. Family lunch for Christmas get together. Chose the cellar room which was lovely like a home dining room. Just the 8 of us in there, though it can accommodate 1,. very intimate space without feeling cramped or dark as there is natural light in there. Food was excellant and very good value for such high standard and original cooking. Service was spot. Gents toilets are outside! Brrr!
- The White Heart, Abingdon.sunseekerDined on 13/11/2011The White Heart, Abingdon. Very good pub restaurant. venue has a fresh appeal, tables are well-spaced apart, service attentive and the quality of the food excellent. No wonder it is so well attended!
- Loved it, great venue. VeryMuffinManMattyDined on 22/9/2011Loved it, great venue. Very quiet but then it was mid week.
- it was an enjoyable experience.SusieDined on 27/8/2011it was an enjoyable experience. the service was excellent and we particularly the monkfish scampi and the belly pork.
- The White Hart is a lovelyAliGDined on 17/8/2011The White Hart is a lovely atmospheric old pub. The food was as good as on our last visit - imaginative, locally sourced, with produce from their own garden. Sharing boards work well to start. The pollock and saffron gnocchi was a small but very tasty main course and the lavender pannacotta deliciously fragrant. However, on this occasion the evening was spoiled by poor and disorganized service. We did not manage to order any wine until well into our starter and the staff seemed overstretched.
- White Hart, Fyfield - absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2011White Hart, Fyfield - absolutely delicious food, and very good service. It's not cheap, but worth it. And we could not resist a dessert! Stunning tastes!
- We had an excellent SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2011We had an excellent Sunday lunch at The White Hart at Fyfield yesterday. The welcome was very warm and the staff attentive without being over the top. The menu whilst small offered enough variety and the meal was beautifully served and very good. The wine as also good and not too expensive. The old world charm of the building has been retained with oak beams and candlelight which all added to the favourable experience. We would certainly return and would recommend a visit.
- Fantastic Sunday lunch withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 26/6/2011Fantastic Sunday lunch with (impressed) relatives from China. Sat in the lovely garden, nice families at tables here and there around us - the first day of real summer. Food, beer and service all as good as ever.
- The White Hart in FyfieldOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 23/6/2011The White Hart in Fyfield surpassed all expectations! This was booked for my fiance's birthday, and I mentioned this to the team when booking and they ensured a lovely table in a quiet part of the main restaurant. The service was impeccable, not intrusive but just sufficient. The menu (which changes daily based on the local produce available) was a lovely range with options for most. I had belly of pork which just melted, while my fiance had the steak - divine! Can't wait to return!
- White Hart, Fyfield GastropubsGardengoerDined on 11/6/2011White Hart, Fyfield Gastropubs are getting themselves a bad name by charging high prices for unexceptionable food; while the White Hart is expensive, the food is very good. The menu is short and includes some slightly unusual dishes (a veal tongue starter) along with some standard dishes such as slow roast pork. It was busy on a Saturday evening, but it was surprising that they had already run out of their lamb main dish by 7.30, making a rather restricted choice more restricted still.
- Delicious, as always. A littleAlisonDined on 9/6/2011Delicious, as always. A little disappointed that the best hamburger in the world had come off the menu, but naturally what we had was 10/10 anyway.