The White Swan
108 Fetter Lane
London, EC4A 1ESNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
The White Swan
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewhiteswanlondon.com/
- Phone: 02072429696
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00PM - 3:00PM;
Dinner: Monday - Friday 6:00PM - 10:00PM
Open for private hire only on Saturday and Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Lee Coulston
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from The White Swan
Formerly the Mucky Duck and located in Fetter Lane, EC4, The White Swan Pub and Dining Room reverts to its original name and is spread across three floors, housing a ground floor pub with a mezzanine level and a first floor dining room. The dining room is a sophisticated and stylish restaurant space with tables laid with crisp white linen. Serving the best in Modern British Cuisine, dishes include crispy pork and crackling salad and salt mash lamb rump with caponata and anchovy butter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerModern European
The White Swan - Best restaurants in Fleet Street ›
The White Swan reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since 25 May 2014
business meals (111)fit for foodies (79)special occasions (59)romance (46)group bookings (20)outstanding value (19)pre/post theatre (15)brunch (6)good vegetarian options (5)sunday lunch (4)afternoon tea (2)child friendly (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- Superb servicePomerolVIPDined on 17/9/2014An excellent work dinner with great food and a great opentable offer (50% off food) was made all the better by the attentive and excellent service throughout.Special Features:
- IncredibleSuzladellDined on 16/9/2014Superb food in an incredibly English setting! We most especially enjoyed the veal shoulder ragu over pappardelle, the peterhead cod entree, and the cherry parfait for dessert. The service was delightful and attentive without fussiness nor neglect. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- OverratedInconitoDined on 12/9/2014Gastro pub the said... The food was ok. The seasoning of the dish was not balance, too salty or to sweet and a bit heavy. Without the special offer, it does not worth it. I wont recommend it.
- above average foodSW159Dined on 5/9/2014This was my second visit and it didn't disappoint. Unassuming exterior and somewhat scruffy surround due to all the building works around, the first floor dining room inside is superb. Excellent, understated service and the food is well above average with superb selection of fresh fish and game; something for everyone. A real favourite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner reviewgunnerDined on 28/8/2014Another vg meal at the swan. As ever a well thought thru menu and wine list supported by efficient service. However one waitress was seriously lacking client engagement or even the ability to smile which affected the overall experience. Great coffee and armangac. Overall VG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive small Fleet St restaurantalanatcroydonVIPDined on 28/8/2014Just off Fleet Street, this small upstairs restaurant was attracting mainly office staff (it seemed) and was busy the lunchtime we were there. Service was friendly but was slow (we thought the kitchen could not keep up). 3 courses was £34 but the wines were quite costly. We had to send lamb back to be further cooked but the rabbit confit was fine. Portions are adequate without side dishes. Overall we thought the dishes tasty and a bit different, though on the pricey side (no Opentable discounts when the place is full of course)Special Features:
- Good food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 27/8/2014Only downside was that there were several ground bookings for the ground and 1at floor bars and you had to push through crowds to get to the 2nd floor restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EscoffierDined on 27/8/2014An enjoyable leisurely lunch. The staff were warm and friendly. The half lobster was good value and the aprocot souffle superb. I have been to The White Swan on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice eveningTerrytenDined on 5/8/2014The service was excellent, not overbearing, good food at 50% discount from al la carteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jillwalesjilwalesDined on 5/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening here at the White Swan. Food was good, with a nice menu, was difficult to decide what to have. Service was great also. Would definitely recommend and come back myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surpisedJCashDined on 31/7/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere at this city gastro pub. More of a gastro experience than pub. The amuse-bouche was a lovely surprise. The lamb as divine. Excellent wine menu. And with the Open Table deal it was good value for money.Special Features:
- Level updc250VIPDined on 31/7/2014Dining at the restaurant was definitely different to how the pub was downstairs. The atmosphere was typical edge-of-City, with the food being good quality but portioned on the small side. We did go on the 50% offer and there was a couple of amuse-bouches so it wasn't all bad.Special Features:
- excellent fishMameatsVIPDined on 17/7/2014Dined on a hot Thursday evening, nice and cool in the WS. Fresh pea veloute was excellent with lovely consistency not weak and runny. Turbot was superb and hosts Cod was as good.Special Features:
- A great findkwsunshineVIPDined on 17/7/2014The bar downstairs is a good place to start the evening. It was hot, so a lot of people were outside, but the fans were turning and the atmosphere was good inside. Upstairs the restaurant is surprisingly sophisticated, the service is very professional and the menu excellent. The portions are quite small but the dense flavours ensure a satisfying meal. I would recommend with the 50% discount on food (we paid £44 each for 3 course, half a bottle of wine, coffee and service). Good value.Special Features:
- infrequentdinerDined on 10/7/2014A 'class act'. Service just the way it should be everywhere, but hardly ever is. Professional yet friendly, attentive yet unfussy. We were treating our daughter, who works in the city, to dinner. She's a veggie and was catered for well by the menu. The turbot my husband and I ordered was delicious - cooked to perfection. The prices would normally make the White Swan too much of an extravagance for mid-week dining, but the 'Open Table' offer of 50% of all food, allowed us to enjoy its fine dining with a clear(ish) conscience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemAPAPDined on 9/7/2014I entered the White Swan to be greeted by a traditional city boozer, complete with World Cup on the screen. Not a great start! But the upstairs dining room is a little secret hidden gem of a restaurant. A small room of only about ten tables, it's intimate, cosy, stylish. The menu is excellent, the wine list also; the staff great, and with the Open Table Discount we left extremely happy. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent quality foodReevesDined on 9/7/2014High quality food in lovely restaurant, in a surprisingly calm room above a usually busy pub. Great attentive service and fantastic value with the offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime. Fantastic. Delicious.LondonMeatEaterDined on 9/7/2014Fabulous wine, lovely atmosphere, friendly, and informative staff, beautiful looking good that tastes fantastic. Not your standard pub at all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealsarmelDined on 1/7/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and Christophe our waiter was a pleasure. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my favourite restaurantVivJ123VIPDined on 27/6/2014Excellent food, extensive wine list and attentive service.Special Features:
- Food tasted as good as it lookedSuburbanfoodieDined on 20/6/2014We went for a meal for 4 with our friends from North. On first look it is not as impressive as it is the upstairs restaurant of a city pub, but our guests were not put off by that. We were amazed at the beautifully presented food, even though we are used to fine dining.. The food when it arrived on the plate was sometimes difficult to recognize from the menu order and as soon as you put it in the mouth and the explosion of flavours made it very clear the Chef's take on the menu. We specially recommend it on 50% offer as it makes it very good value otherwise the prices are really for the city bankers due to its location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RyanVIPDined on 20/6/2014As usual, innovative, grown up food with great service. Ambience is always a bit hit and miss for me here but not sure there's anything they can do about that! Anyway, definitely worth a visit if you haven't ben.Special Features:
- The White Swan is fabulousMillieMooVIPDined on 20/6/2014Been meaning to visit for a while as am a fan of their sister restaurant, the Chiswell Street Dining Rooms. Was slightly put off as I approached - looks like a standard pub from outside, people standing on the pavement drinking, large screens just inside blaring out the football. But as we climbed the stairs and entered the dining rooms at the top, the relief was palpable. The service was faultless - attentive yet unintrusive, as it should be. The food was delicate and flavoursome, and my friend and I left very clean plates after each course. Would visit again if they run the 50% off food offer - as lovely as it was I felt the menu pricing was a tad on the high side otherwise. Definitely recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungry mouse is not now hungryhungrymouseDined on 13/6/2014The food at the White Swan is outstanding, and we like our food!! There is good taste in everything. If there is a criticism it is that the portions LOOK small, but in fact do not leave one hungry.We would come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenteatiingoutDined on 11/6/2014This is genuinely one of the best places I have eaten at through toptable. Food, service and wine were all outstanding. With a 50% off deal the value is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and servicesw44Dined on 11/6/2014This is a lovely restaurant above a pub in the city. Lovely dining room and the food and service really is excellent. I found the dining room just a little old school formal and really lacked any ambience or personality. Food is pricey but good with 50% off food offer. I would returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent for a business lunchCityDinerDined on 10/6/2014Took some clients here and was impressed. Great, good value menu, food was superb, wine delicious. Service unassuming though sometimes they looked too busy. Was full of business lunches when I went. Will definitely go again. You need to book as dining room is small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodPandBDined on 5/6/2014I took a group if 8 with guest from out of town and from Europe. We were impressed with the fabulous food served and service. There was a nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good evening mealDDWNDined on 3/6/2014We had a really lovely meal here. It was based on the special offer food deal so was particularly good value. The staff were very friendly and attentive but not intrusive. The food was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed it and the wine list is very good too. I would have no hesitation recommending this to others.Special Features:
- Great Service, Good FoodToriDined on 22/5/2014Service was fabulous. I was less thrilled by the food, but I think this was because I chose badly & nothing tastes quite right because I'm pregnant, rather than the food not being good. My friend's meal was excellent. Would recommend, particularly on the Top Table 50% off food deal, which makes it great value for £.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a business lunchCatherineDined on 21/5/2014We needed a quiet environment to hold a business meeting. The White Swan was perfect. Staff are attentive but discreet in their timing. i would definitely recommend it. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great eveningSarahDined on 16/5/2014Wonderful staff, wonderful food, we love this place.Special Features:
- Terrific food on an excellent offerKateSDined on 16/5/2014This was a meal to celebrate my birthday with a group of 8. We got a great 50% off food offer from Open Table and unlike many it was not limited to 6 people. The staff were welcoming and helpful, one of our group got held up at work and they could not have been better, swiftly serving him when he arrived. The food was really excellent - I had the pea veloute followed by the duck - both cooked to perfection, extremely tasty, beautifully presented. The dessert was equally rewarding and with a little teaser before the starter and fresh made truffles with coffee, it was fantastic value. The restaurant is quite cosy and so a bit noisy when full, but very bright and a lovely environment. Great service, with friendly staff.Special Features:
- Great food, service & locationBrandy69Dined on 15/5/2014We had a fantastic dinner. The quality of the food was outstanding. The service was great, paying attention to details. The White Swan is a place where you get outstanding value for the money and I can only recommend this restaurant. Looking forward to our next dinner at The White Swan, which unfortunately won't happy very soon as we are living in Germany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicioussusieCDined on 15/5/2014Gorgeous intimate dinning area, lovely menu choice, interesting but varied. Wonderful presentation and portion sizes just right. Pity extras such as veg/chips etc were pricey, they should be included - this was the only thing that stopped me giving it outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent!MB14Dined on 8/5/2014Great food, friendly service, warm atmosphere and good value for money with Toptable. Can highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but . . .CityGeoffDined on 8/5/2014Not enough room here to write a full review, but in short the food was fantastic, absolutely excellent, but the service was a long way short of this. I recommend going here, but the proprietors need to really pay attention to what the staff do and how that feels for the customer. I'd would be happy to discuss further with the management team if desired because the menu and food is amongst the best I have had (I eaten in many top establishments), and it would be a shame if people didn't return here because of how the staff have been trained. .Special Features:
- Posh pub foodBinksyVIPDined on 7/5/2014I was very happy with the overall experience at the white swan. Doesn't look much from the outside and initially is a bustling city pub on the inside, but once you get to the restaurant area things become rather more civilised. Food was seasonal, British and excellently prepared, not oversized, service was professional and friendly. The 50% off deal is great, will go back in the future. Try the banana souflee with peanut butter icecream without having a guilty smile afterwards...Special Features:
- Tucked up at the topKingDDined on 6/5/2014The restaurant is up 4 flights of stairs and definitely worth the climb. The service and food were very good indeed, the menu is small but just right (not everything was available when we went - shows that they use fresh food and that is good to see). The English Asparagus starter was excellent as was the cod. Good wine list again not too extensive but all good and at reasonable prices. We would go again, recommend that you book as table numbers are limited.Special Features:
- Business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2014I chose this restuarant for its proximity to my client's offices for a business lunch. Beautifully presented, delicious food - portions not huge but very adequate and tasty; nice dining room with table cloths and attractive settings makes for just the right amount of formality; attentive, discreet service; good wine list across a broad price range (we chose a lovely Chablis which was not over chilled); good value for money.Special Features: