The White Swan
108 Fetter Lane
London, EC4A 1ESNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
The White Swan
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewhiteswanlondon.com/
- Phone: 020 7242 9696
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00PM - 3:00PM;
Dinner: Monday - Friday 6:00PM - 10:00PM
Open for private hire only on Saturday and Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Lee Coulston
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from The White Swan
Formerly the Mucky Duck and located in Fetter Lane, EC4, The White Swan Pub and Dining Room reverts to its original name and is spread across three floors, housing a ground floor pub with a mezzanine level and a first floor dining room. The dining room is a sophisticated and stylish restaurant space with tables laid with crisp white linen. Serving the best in Modern British Cuisine, dishes include crispy pork and crackling salad and salt mash lamb rump with caponata and anchovy butter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Value
- Diners' Choice WinnerModern European
The White Swan - Best restaurants in Fleet Street ›
The White Swan reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since 23 November 2013
business meals (97)fit for foodies (69)special occasions (44)romance (32)group bookings (17)outstanding value (16)pre/post theatre (9)brunch (4)sunday lunch (3)good vegetarian options (3)child friendly (1)disabled access (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- ExcellentBarryDined on 18/11/2014Brilliant food - good wine recommendations. The menu has a heavy emphasis on game, which I appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White Swan dinnernlcarrDined on 7/11/2014Excellent food and great value at dinner with 50 pc offSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchSecurewardDined on 7/11/2014I chose the White Swan based on previous customer reviews and it delivered exactly what was promised. Excellent friendly service and very good food and wine meant we were the last to leave the restaurant with my client pleasantly surprised by the meal we had just enjoyed. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of BritishBryBryDined on 5/11/2014Fantastic British food and great world wine. A bastion of great cuisine in The City!Special Features:
- ExcellentsopaDined on 3/11/2014Excellent venue and food with amazing value with the 50% off food offer.Special Features:
- Slow and expensiveMF82Dined on 31/10/2014Whilst the ambience was good and the food reasonably good, the service was incredibly slow. Almost 2 hours for a 2 course meal. A bit on the pricey side for what it was as well.
- White SwanelaineVIPDined on 24/10/2014Booked for a group last Friday. The pub downstairs was slightly off putting but the restaurant upstairs is a little gem. The food is really very good, more towards fine dining than gastro pub. The staff were friendly and there was a nice atmosphere. The 50% of deal made it a reasonable night too. Well done. We shall be back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJimmyJDined on 22/10/2014Food was excellent as was service. Lovely room and a nice surprise once you get upstairs having walked through the boozer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickymanVIPDined on 16/10/2014don't want to recommend it too highly because I may not get a table next time !
- Top QualityPete123Dined on 16/10/2014This feels like a separate restaurant, upstairs from the pub. Food was much fancier than standard pub burger and chips. Presentation of each dish was great and food was delicious and original. Nice one page menu. Great value with 50% off food. It's worth noting the portions are on the smaller side and the original menu price of each dish was quite high. But this is not surprising considering the style and quality. Would recommend asking the waiters to explain any dishes you're not sure about. A lot of effort has gone into the food by the chefs and the service was very attentive, professional and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit, as good as the firstAPAPDined on 10/10/2014I adore this place. The food is as good as any I have ever had. Service friendly and efficient. With the 50% deal it is ludicrously good value for money. Can't recommend enough.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseDawebellDined on 10/10/2014Took a chance in this place and booked the 50% off deal. It looks like a normal pub from outside, and I was expecting more of an upscale pub grub setting, but the upstairs dining room is lovely, and it's closer to fine dining than pub grub! Food was superb , as was the service, and the 50% deal through top table was great. Was surprised to find out that it's part of the same group that run The Gun and The Botanist.....which explained why the food was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but not fast foodSouthKenlocalDined on 10/10/2014The menu was very interesting and made a welcome change from steaks, burgers etc. The food was delicious and beautifully presented, but the service was rather slow, particularly towards the end of our meal. Good for a celebratory business lunch but not if you're in a hurry.Special Features:
- Superb servicePomerolVIPDined on 17/9/2014An excellent work dinner with great food and a great opentable offer (50% off food) was made all the better by the attentive and excellent service throughout.Special Features:
- IncredibleSuzladellDined on 16/9/2014Superb food in an incredibly English setting! We most especially enjoyed the veal shoulder ragu over pappardelle, the peterhead cod entree, and the cherry parfait for dessert. The service was delightful and attentive without fussiness nor neglect. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Top nosh!HelenVIPDined on 12/9/2014Excellent food as always. I did however have 50% off and I think that without that, I might have felt a bit ripped off! However, food it amazing - much better quality than you would expect in a pub. I really really rate this place.Special Features:
- OverratedInconitoDined on 12/9/2014Gastro pub the said... The food was ok. The seasoning of the dish was not balance, too salty or to sweet and a bit heavy. Without the special offer, it does not worth it. I wont recommend it.
- tonyTONEDined on 12/9/2014Ever reliable with interesting menu. Great value with discountSpecial Features:
- above average foodSW159Dined on 5/9/2014This was my second visit and it didn't disappoint. Unassuming exterior and somewhat scruffy surround due to all the building works around, the first floor dining room inside is superb. Excellent, understated service and the food is well above average with superb selection of fresh fish and game; something for everyone. A real favourite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner reviewgunnerDined on 28/8/2014Another vg meal at the swan. As ever a well thought thru menu and wine list supported by efficient service. However one waitress was seriously lacking client engagement or even the ability to smile which affected the overall experience. Great coffee and armangac. Overall VG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive small Fleet St restaurantalanatcroydonVIPDined on 28/8/2014Just off Fleet Street, this small upstairs restaurant was attracting mainly office staff (it seemed) and was busy the lunchtime we were there. Service was friendly but was slow (we thought the kitchen could not keep up). 3 courses was £34 but the wines were quite costly. We had to send lamb back to be further cooked but the rabbit confit was fine. Portions are adequate without side dishes. Overall we thought the dishes tasty and a bit different, though on the pricey side (no Opentable discounts when the place is full of course)Special Features:
- Good food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 27/8/2014Only downside was that there were several ground bookings for the ground and 1at floor bars and you had to push through crowds to get to the 2nd floor restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EscoffierDined on 27/8/2014An enjoyable leisurely lunch. The staff were warm and friendly. The half lobster was good value and the aprocot souffle superb. I have been to The White Swan on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice eveningTerrytenDined on 5/8/2014The service was excellent, not overbearing, good food at 50% discount from al la carteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jillwalesjilwalesDined on 5/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening here at the White Swan. Food was good, with a nice menu, was difficult to decide what to have. Service was great also. Would definitely recommend and come back myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surpisedJCashDined on 31/7/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere at this city gastro pub. More of a gastro experience than pub. The amuse-bouche was a lovely surprise. The lamb as divine. Excellent wine menu. And with the Open Table deal it was good value for money.Special Features:
- Level updc250VIPDined on 31/7/2014Dining at the restaurant was definitely different to how the pub was downstairs. The atmosphere was typical edge-of-City, with the food being good quality but portioned on the small side. We did go on the 50% offer and there was a couple of amuse-bouches so it wasn't all bad.Special Features:
- excellent fishMameatsVIPDined on 17/7/2014Dined on a hot Thursday evening, nice and cool in the WS. Fresh pea veloute was excellent with lovely consistency not weak and runny. Turbot was superb and hosts Cod was as good.Special Features:
- A great findkwsunshineVIPDined on 17/7/2014The bar downstairs is a good place to start the evening. It was hot, so a lot of people were outside, but the fans were turning and the atmosphere was good inside. Upstairs the restaurant is surprisingly sophisticated, the service is very professional and the menu excellent. The portions are quite small but the dense flavours ensure a satisfying meal. I would recommend with the 50% discount on food (we paid £44 each for 3 course, half a bottle of wine, coffee and service). Good value.Special Features:
- infrequentdinerDined on 10/7/2014A 'class act'. Service just the way it should be everywhere, but hardly ever is. Professional yet friendly, attentive yet unfussy. We were treating our daughter, who works in the city, to dinner. She's a veggie and was catered for well by the menu. The turbot my husband and I ordered was delicious - cooked to perfection. The prices would normally make the White Swan too much of an extravagance for mid-week dining, but the 'Open Table' offer of 50% of all food, allowed us to enjoy its fine dining with a clear(ish) conscience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemAPAPDined on 9/7/2014I entered the White Swan to be greeted by a traditional city boozer, complete with World Cup on the screen. Not a great start! But the upstairs dining room is a little secret hidden gem of a restaurant. A small room of only about ten tables, it's intimate, cosy, stylish. The menu is excellent, the wine list also; the staff great, and with the Open Table Discount we left extremely happy. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent quality foodReevesDined on 9/7/2014High quality food in lovely restaurant, in a surprisingly calm room above a usually busy pub. Great attentive service and fantastic value with the offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime. Fantastic. Delicious.LondonMeatEaterDined on 9/7/2014Fabulous wine, lovely atmosphere, friendly, and informative staff, beautiful looking good that tastes fantastic. Not your standard pub at all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealsarmelDined on 1/7/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and Christophe our waiter was a pleasure. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my favourite restaurantVivJ123VIPDined on 27/6/2014Excellent food, extensive wine list and attentive service.Special Features:
- Food tasted as good as it lookedSuburbanfoodieDined on 20/6/2014We went for a meal for 4 with our friends from North. On first look it is not as impressive as it is the upstairs restaurant of a city pub, but our guests were not put off by that. We were amazed at the beautifully presented food, even though we are used to fine dining.. The food when it arrived on the plate was sometimes difficult to recognize from the menu order and as soon as you put it in the mouth and the explosion of flavours made it very clear the Chef's take on the menu. We specially recommend it on 50% offer as it makes it very good value otherwise the prices are really for the city bankers due to its location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RyanVIPDined on 20/6/2014As usual, innovative, grown up food with great service. Ambience is always a bit hit and miss for me here but not sure there's anything they can do about that! Anyway, definitely worth a visit if you haven't ben.Special Features:
- The White Swan is fabulousMillieMooVIPDined on 20/6/2014Been meaning to visit for a while as am a fan of their sister restaurant, the Chiswell Street Dining Rooms. Was slightly put off as I approached - looks like a standard pub from outside, people standing on the pavement drinking, large screens just inside blaring out the football. But as we climbed the stairs and entered the dining rooms at the top, the relief was palpable. The service was faultless - attentive yet unintrusive, as it should be. The food was delicate and flavoursome, and my friend and I left very clean plates after each course. Would visit again if they run the 50% off food offer - as lovely as it was I felt the menu pricing was a tad on the high side otherwise. Definitely recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungry mouse is not now hungryhungrymouseDined on 13/6/2014The food at the White Swan is outstanding, and we like our food!! There is good taste in everything. If there is a criticism it is that the portions LOOK small, but in fact do not leave one hungry.We would come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenteatiingoutDined on 11/6/2014This is genuinely one of the best places I have eaten at through toptable. Food, service and wine were all outstanding. With a 50% off deal the value is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.