The Wife of Bath
4 Upper Bridge Street
Wye, TN25 5AFNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
The Wife of Bath
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thewifeofbath.com/
- Phone: 01233 812232
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday: 6:30pm - 9pm
Wednesday - Sunday: 12pm - 2pm, 6:30pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Executive Chef: Jorge Noble
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine, Wine Bar
- Public Transit: We have Wye train station situated 5 minutes walk down the road, accessible from Ashford International, Canterbury and most south London Stations. There is also a bus stop right outside the restaurant.
- Parking: Private Car Park
- Parking Details: We have a private car park behind the restaurant if this is full street parking is available and free
A word from The Wife of Bath
The Wife of Bath is a restaurant with rooms situated in the medieval village of Wye in the heart of rural Kent with easy access to London, Canterbury, Ashford and the Kent coast. Our newly open restaurant offers exceptional & friendly service, innovative food, a fabulous selection of wines, spirits, cocktails and luxurious guest accommodation. Love your food and drink? You'll love it here. Our imaginative menus are created from the finest local and seasonal produce and our eclectic drink lists feature wines fom new, old and emerging regions, classic cocktails, premium spirits and memorable malts. And all of this delivered with relaxed informality in gorgeous, elegant surroundings. Pop in for lunch, settle in for dinner or come and spend the night in one of our five individually designed rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Wife of Bath reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since 24 November 2013
special occasions (11)fit for foodies (8)romance (7)sunday lunch (5)business meals (4)group bookings (3)outstanding value (3)afternoon tea (3)brunch (2)Show More
- FantastictgifridayDined on 9/4/2014We ate here using a travelzoo voucher which was exceptional value but would go again even without a voucher. The food was fantastic and the staff were attentive and really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchUlphmjDined on 23/3/2014It was our first time at the wife of bath. Did not know what to expect only we had been told the food is good. We were greeted by friendly helpful staff on our arrival. The venue was a little quiet as there was only one other table in use, they were enjoying a birthday I believe but we did eat early. We had a traditional roast which was beautifully cooked. Overall the wife of bath is an outstanding little resteraunt which with a very appealing menu which I plan to eat my way through over the course of the coming year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best value set lunch in Kent?FussyDDined on 12/3/2014Three outstanding courses for £20. Fine dining on the cheap. If there is a better value lunchtime deal in Kent - I'm yet to taste it! Bravo.Special Features:
- Most enjoyable stayvernonDined on 14/2/2014The staff were all most welcoming and help full. Vicky also arranged flowers to be delivered to our room in advance of our arrival. The food was first class and very good value for money. Our stay was cosy and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Mealdarrenw29Dined on 14/2/2014I've been to this restaurant before for both lunch and dinner, and it didn't fail to impress yet again! Excellent menu cooked to perfection, romantic atmosphere and great service. A little pricey, but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly we were the only peopleChrisDined on 11/2/2014Sadly we were the only people in the restaurant, but it was a Tuesday night in a wet and stormy February. However we were well looked after and the food was really excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- only 2nd timedom6Dined on 9/2/2014I have used the restaurant and the service is great, unpretentious, subtle and down to earth. Great dishes for great value, not one aspect of disappointment in any dish. The portion sizes were good, the quality exceptional and the wine was great and very reasonable for the list. I only wished they had the "cabbagy cheese" I had last time which was completely unique and a glorious taste. Highly recommend for both quality and value for money.Special Features:
- Perfect for a special eveningLyndylouDined on 1/2/2014Food was a delight as always. The presentation is beautiful and there are always some delicious combinations and clever ideas. Food must look good as well as tasting good and The Wife of Bath does this beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening to rememberMaikaiDined on 29/1/2014Although we arrived over an hour late, there was no negative comments from the staff. Having champagne in the lounge we were given the menu and wine list and no one rushed us to make our choice. Once installed in the dining room and after some lovely pre-starters we asked if the table could be moved closer to the open fire.This was done straight away with a smile. The food was delicious, the presentation superb and the wines chosen from an extensive list were rather good. Upon request the red wine was put in a decanter.The only surprise was that they only have 1! I guess that on a winter evening not many people come to Wye for a meal, which probably explains why we were only 8 diners.All in all I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wye WonderalwayseatingoutDined on 18/1/2014one of our favourite places to eat in Kent. Michelin style food. friendly staff and lovely ambience. Sea Bass dish with an Asian flavour I had was beautiful and cheesecake for dessert was a very different take with lots of different textures and tastes going on. Good wines chosen to complement dishes. My partners meal was not so successful however he was offered another choice of main which he did not take however this was removed from the bill. I would say it was a bit slow to get paid at end. maybe need to get more staff on a Saturday eve. Overall pleasurable experience and will continue for many years I hope.Special Features:
- Lack of AtmosphereOldcustomer30yearsDined on 18/12/2013I and my wife have over the years been to the wife of Bath many times. the last change of ownership has been more business like but have sacrificed the super atmosphere that the restaurant had when John Morgan was the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, very goodsamsonDined on 27/11/2013excellent food, very good service, ambient surroundings wide choice of seasonal menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 324 reviews are from the The Wife of Bath reviews archive.
- Service a little poorAmy21Dined on 23/11/2013My first time for a la carte dinner only been for afternoon tea before which was lovely. This time food was good but not spectacular. For the price would expect more overall. The courses were rushed when it came to desert we had to send waitress away to have a breather. After that we had to ask twice for port and the petit fours. Just a little disappointing considering reputation.Special Features:
- Back again after 30 yearsJudigardenerDined on 3/11/2013We used to live in Kent and so chose to come back to the Wife of Bath to remember old times. Sunday lunch was very good. Service was timely but not intrusive. The only thing we thought needed attention was the atmosphere/ decor. Something of the intimacy we remembered seemed to be missing. But food was very good and the pappardelle with mussels and chorizo was an excellent starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal, but where was everyoneSSSofLondonDined on 26/10/2013Had a lovely meal, but the two of us were alone in a large dining room for most of the time, whilst the other diners were placed in a second dining room. This place deserves to be busier than it was last Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for FourBlackdogDined on 5/10/2013An enjoyable meal for sure . Rather stark Ambience but some people would like that . Limited Menu , but again many would see that as evidence of using fresh produce prepared after ordering .. We had tried a Michelin Starred restaurant the previous evening and couldnt really tell the difference . Interesting to know what the Criterion is for awarding the Stars is . Perhaps I am rather fussy or expect too much . Price worked out about £50 per head incluing Wine which is what you would expect in the area for a good meal in a good restaurant . . Overall Good meal in pleasant surroundings .7.5 out of 10.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I love thispappaGDined on 25/9/2013My husband and I love this restaurant very friendly and great foodSpecial Features:
- VERY GOOD, BUT COULD BE EVEN BETTERRaisonneurVIPDined on 21/9/2013Nothing wrong with this lovely place, but I feel that the kitchen could be even better, with just a little more attention to detail. Service and setting both great - and it's a great place for a romantic interlude!Special Features:
- We had lunch, never havingSweetPeaDined on 28/8/2013We had lunch, never having been here before and is was absolutely beautiful. The staff were friendly. I wouldnt use it as an every day lunch spot but for special occasions it was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service bad foodChloeshutDined on 25/7/2013No front of house to welcome you. Very expensive meals which are very poor not worth the money. Service was slow and unprofessional. It is such a shame we have always loved this restaurant but this time I feel ripped off!Special Features:
- Good food; poor front of houseLuapDined on 12/7/2013Although the meal was quite good, there was a feeling that the restaurant was being run by remote control by an absentee landlord. Apart from two good young waitresses, there seemed to be nobody else about.Special Features:
- Very nice meal and well presented.ORichardDined on 12/7/2013Very nice meal and well presented.Our request for a window table was met and the staff were very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B-E-A-utifulFoodieDined on 11/7/2013Was recommended venue buy a friend who recently had a birthday meal there. Once the babysitter was booked it was easy to find and set in the stunning village of Wye. Feels more like you're at a friends house (beautiful house) very relaxed, exceptional service from staff. We sat in the bay window watching village settle for the evening and enjoyed every mouthful of the playful menu. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu could provide moreSP10Dined on 6/7/2013The menu could provide more detail on what the food contains. I react badly to spicy food. So I avoided those specifically marked as spicy or hot. The main dish I chose was based on hake. There was no reference to spice on the description. When it arrived there was a lot of red sauce, which I took to be tomato. It was, however, heavily spiced with chillies. I could not eat it. The waitress was very good and changed the meal for a version without spices, but then I had to finish eating while my partner waited form me. It spoiled the evening. I would not be keen to return.
- Perfect portionsWyeDinerDined on 5/7/2013Visited this restaurant many times and the quality of the food is always very good. Lovely sea bass with chorizo and wasabi and the portion sizes leave you feeling comfortable, rather than stuffed after a 3 course meal. Attentive, but discreet service. It is pricey, but perfect for a special occasion meal.Special Features:
- Too many supplementsJohnTWDined on 25/6/2013We were really looking forward to our evening when returned to the Wife of Bath after many years having had excellent meals there when we lived in the area previously. I am afraid we were disappointed. In the inclusive 3 courses for £27.50 menu there were supplements against many of the choices - at least one in each course. We found it difficult to choose a balanced meal to suit us without incurring at least one supplement. Also the desert we chose was very sparse.
- Lovely lovely restaurantEmzyDined on 23/6/2013absolutely gorgeous food as always and fantastic dining experience!Special Features:
- A gem in WyejbruvollDined on 14/6/2013Fantastic food and wine choices - well within reach of a Michelin star. Very nicely presented dining room, and upstairs (the rooms and lounge) looked very "proper" too (just had a quick peek). Well worth a visit just for the food, and if the accommodation standards are equally high, I wouldn't think twice about where to stay if you're heading to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place for posh noshsjb22Dined on 8/6/2013Nice atmosphere, food lovely what there was of it. Quite small portions especially starters but beautifully presented and very tasty. Bit limited choice on menu but overall an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchTonesterDined on 2/6/2013We were the only diners for Sunday lunch which was a real shame. The restaurant deserved more bookings, which are apparently unpredictable generally at the moment. Therefore the atmosphere was slightly lacking. The restaurant looked beautifully set out, the decor is beautiful - uncluttered and stylish. Delicious food, served graciously. Everything was tasty and hot. Only one criticism - apparently the beef was disappointing being a bit chewy and for the roast beef lunch, the plate looked really overfull. The veggy option was delicious - the shortest tastiest pastry for the pea and broad bean tart, accompanied by a leafy salad and mashed potato (definite winner for me but not everyone's choice). Would recommend..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding anniversary dinnerJulesDined on 22/5/2013The Wife of Bath is a very nicely appointed restaurant in Wye, Kent. We went there for our wedding anniversary and the service was polite, prompt and good. The menu is set and there is limited choice but the food is good and well presented but not really spectacular.Special Features:
- We were warmly greeted andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2013We were warmly greeted and offered the choice of going straight to the table or having a pre dinner drink whilst we perused the menu and wine list. Service was attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Food was excellent and dessert was to die for,as was the wine.would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConfusingFood4TwoDined on 5/5/2013I visited this restaurant on the recommendation of a friend for my 7 year anniversary. Yes the food was ok for a Sunday set menu lunch a this I can't complain but the service was appalling. It seems unless you are a local your business is not appreciated. We were left sitting with dirty plates while other diners who had clearly been before we're served at their tables. I would not return or recommend to a friend or family member.
- Great findiGooseDined on 18/4/2013It was my first visit to the very pretty village of Wye, which is delightful. The Wife of Bath is in a lovely old characterful building. The food is modern, exciting and quite delicious. My husband and I enjoyed a really chilled evening, with attentive but not intrusive or hurried service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceLukasCDined on 12/4/2013I proposed to my girlfriend there on friday all i can say is that they went the extra mile to accommodate us, the food was out of this world and the service to boot.Special Features:
- Food is excellent and wellDorsetknobDined on 12/4/2013Food is excellent and well presented in true Cheffy style. Ambience is warm and secondary to the tasty food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMrsSmithDined on 9/4/2013Excellent place to eat and made to feel very special on a special occasion. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary lunchChrisDined on 3/4/2013Excellent dining experience. The waitress could have been a little smarterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurantRMat35Dined on 30/3/2013An outstanding restaurant in an outstanding and charming village. This is upmarket cuisine in comfortable and well appointed dining facilities. There is the added benefit of the restaurant's small but adequate car park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwayssoocDined on 30/3/2013We went to The Wife of Bath for my husband's birthday. We have eaten here many times before and love the food, decor and service. Highly recommended. Don't pass this by. They also have rooms above the restaurant if you want to explore the surrounding area and eat and stay for the night.Special Features: