London, W1J 9EBNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewolseley.com/
- Phone: 02074996996
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday – Friday: 7am – 11am; Saturday – Sunday: 8am – 11am
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Saturday – Sunday: 11:30am – 3pm
Afternoon Tea: Monday – Friday: 3pm –6pm; Saturday: 3:30pm – 5pm; Sunday: 3:30pm – 6pm
Dinner: Monday – Friday: 5:30pm – 11:30pm; Saturday – Sunday: 5:30pm – 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Lawrence Keogh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Private Dining Room seats up to 14 diners for lunch and dinner. The luxurious interior sits above the restaurant, yet feels part of the theatre below whilst offering complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Chillingworth 020 7659 9302
A word from The Wolseley
The Wolseley is a café-restaurant in the grand European tradition located at 160 Piccadilly in an impressive Grade II Listed Building serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Booking is recommended but a portion of the tables are available for walk-in customers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerEuropean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Wolseley - Best restaurants in St. James's ›
The Wolseley reviews from OpenTable diners
359 reviews since 20 October 2013
brunch (191)afternoon tea (176)special occasions (144)business meals (137)pre/post theatre (102)sunday lunch (94)fit for foodies (91)romance (73)good vegetarian options (24)group bookings (24)child friendly (16)outstanding value (14)disabled access (10)outdoor eating (4)Show More
- Very noisy, ok afternoon tea.PickydinnerDined on 16/10/2014Decided at the last minute to go for a afternoon tea with a friend, so as I couldn't book at my favourite place on the same day, we thought the value was good and the reviews were appealing. The restaurant was absolutely crowded and noisy, with lots of tourists. Not the kind of place you want to sit for an afternoon tea. The food was not bad, but also not special. Sandwiches, about 6 sweet items and scones. The best thing was the champagne! Lovely and cold. I'll stick to BB bakery in Covent Garden. A lot of variety, cute decor, very fresh food and a relaxing atmosphere. And if you want something truly special, go to the top places as the Gore hotel. Anyone who says this afternoon tea is great, they haven't tried a proper one.Special Features:
- SurpriseFoodyDined on 16/10/2014Nice touch to serve a desert with the happy birthday marzipan. My guest and I(!) were pleasantly surprised! Would definitely come again. Excellent selection of dishes, extensive wine list.Special Features:
- TGFoodfanDined on 11/10/2014I absolutely loved out night out at the Wolseley. The food was fabulous and the service was unbelievable; nothing was too much trouble and the staff were extremely attentive to the needs of myself and my partner. Although the restaurant was very busy it had a great vibe and you didn't feel like you were being rushed through your meal like you sometimes are in other places. It really was great.Special Features:
- Excellent food and fun place.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014we enjoyed spotting famous actors and celebrities!Special Features:
- No longer a favouriteEgonDined on 4/10/2014Disappointed is the only word. the Wolsley standards have dropped. The food was average,mother service was average ..... Not The Wolsley we once knew. Not on our favourites list anymore.Special Features:
- Woolley was enjoyableRoastDinnerDined on 1/10/2014Food was very good and so was the service We had the English roast dinnSpecial Features:
- magpiesVIPDined on 25/9/2014as ever an excellent meal, superb service and lively atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Paul49Dined on 24/9/2014Very good service , Great venue Great food !! I will be back on a regular basis really great atmosphereSpecial Features:
- barbfrombaltimoreDined on 19/9/2014My husband and I had a delicious dinner here. The staff was attentive but not overbearing and we would recommend it highly if you are I London and want to have a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMaxPaxDined on 19/9/2014Dined here for lunch with my mum, waited 30 minutes for complimentary bread, steak was not served with the sauce we ordered. The table was not cleared at all leaving us to pile up plates to make room. Overall disappointing.
- Very Goodgc1237VIPDined on 18/9/2014It was the first time I'd visited in quite a while. We had the full English which was as good as ever.
- Great as always!daveyDined on 17/9/2014Great food and service as always. The oysters were fantastic. There is always a good vibe to this restaurant and I'm already booked in for a return visit. Highly recommend for all.Special Features:
- Excellent Afternoon TeaMayzieDined on 17/9/2014With so many places to choose from, this was the perfect place to enjoy afternoon tea with a visitor from overseas looking for the quintessential tea experience. The service was excellent and the scones and pastries were delicious.Special Features:
- Afternoon TeaHeadhunter1Dined on 17/9/2014I visited twice this week, service impeccable on both occasions - Afternoon Tea was beautifully presented. The Wolseley has a real sense of occasion, without feeling at all stuffy or formal … I love it!Special Features:
- Best night everKayceeDined on 14/9/2014Have been going to the Wolseley for years. You can't beat it for atmosphere, food or service. We wanted to increase our diners from 2 to 4 and were promised a call back. Sure enough Nathan took the trouble to call me back twice and we had the best table next to A+ List celebrities. Our guests are still talking about it. The food was superb. Rib eye cooked to perfection and the best chopped liver. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- A bit too noisyLadyofShalott80Dined on 14/9/2014A good value afternoon tea, nice ambient, not memorable food, sometimes attentive (sometimes not) serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service in LondonNGAPDined on 14/9/2014Over prices, mediocre food, and incredibly bad service sadly makes The Wolseley a place to actively avoid.
- Pre TheatreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014As always, excellent food and service. We were on a tight deadline for pre theatre dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfestJvipDined on 7/9/2014Had a birthday breakfest at wolseley. Service was excellent. I thought the food was nice but for the money you pay it was nothing special. Bit noisy for my liking. Good experience anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLuLuLoveDined on 6/9/2014I'd come here every week if I could. The eggs benedict are second to none and the omlettes are light, fluffy and huge. Was not a fan of their biscuit selection but may just not have been to my taste. Service was brilliant too.Special Features:
- high teamarydollDined on 5/9/2014i did not really enjoy my high tea here... and i love my high teas.....albeit the restaurant was busy....you were always looking out for a waiter to replenish the sandwiches and i felt a bit uneasy asking for more....and they never gave any extra cakes....tiz a shame as i have dined here and the food was amzing....Special Features:
- DisappointingWDDDDined on 3/9/2014My friend's favourite restaurant, but I left disappointed. Starters were quite good but my wife and I were disappointed in our main courses. Rib-eye steak looked perfect - charred on the outside and pink in the middle, but somehow it was dry and had no flavour at all. I decided to go for a Weiner Schnitzel, wondering if it was possible to elevate it to something special but sadly not - it wasn't as crispy as it could be on the outside (meaning you could really taste the bread of the breadcrumbs) and seemed to be on a pool of liquid, possible balsamic, which left it bitter and soggy. I left half of it and it was whisked away without query from the previously attentive waiter, likewise when the bill came, no query whether we enjoyed our mealSpecial Features:
- Short notice bookingDuffyDined on 1/9/2014Recently booked at The Wolseley at short notice for a party of three, one of whom is gluten intolerant, and the staff could not have been more accommodating. We were sat immediately upon arrival. Spectacular table, food and service. Very knowledgeable staff. Timing was at our leisure from arrival, from initial drinks through to three courses, and at no time did we feel rushed. Our first outing at The Wolseley, but definitely not our last. Well worth it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/9/2014Very good food, great service, the waiter picked up on the fact it was our anniversary and we got a special dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon teaMKtbfDined on 29/8/2014Excellent service an un rushed atmosphere at the Wolseley for afternoon teaSpecial Features:
- London visitgillybeanDined on 23/8/2014We had dinner at The Wolseley and were very well looked after , nice table as requested , good service , (although we did not get any bread offered and were still billed for the cover charge ) My Halibut main course could have been better cooked & filleted (however I had been told it was a steak cut of fish ,cooked on the bone ) everything else was well cooked & presented .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and a fun placeElbeckDined on 19/8/2014As always the Wolseley was very busy which is part of its appeal although we had to repeatedly request what we required as our order seemed to be getting lost, difficult getting a waiters attentionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningRajie63VIPDined on 17/8/2014We booked The Wolseley to celebrate our eldest daughter's A level success and entrance to her first choice University. It was a Sunday evening. We all had a thoroughly good time and enjoyed a very high standard of service. The food was as expected from previous visits. Very good indeed for the most part. One slight criticism is that my wife who is vegetarian, chose the fettucine option with girolles mushrooms. Those that she did find were great but there really ought to have been many more. This slight irritation was however compensated for when our waiter brought over some macarons, having remembered when I said to him at the ery start of the evening that we weret here to celebrate the A level results. This was a great touch.Special Features:
- A lovely lunchmartintsVIPDined on 17/8/2014The Wolseley always delivers. Great room, great service and good food. Sunday lunch was very enjoyable - the Roast Rib of Beef was perfectly cooked and the crumble delicious. Can't think of a better way to spend Sunday lunch. Just one small comment - why a cover charge in addition to a service charge?Special Features:
- Great for afternoon teaKittyDined on 15/8/2014A great classic restaurant with a nice ambiance for afternoon tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fortheloveoffoodDined on 15/8/2014The food was okay. It tasted good. It was competently executed. I was a bit but off at their first attempt to seat me as the dining area they were intially going to seat me in had a very strong odor of fish which made me feel a bit unwel,l but this was passing and it was much better when they seated me in the main dining area. The food was decent but nothing to write home about so I can't really recommend it.
- MenuValerieDined on 14/8/2014Went there for lunch wit h a friend but we were both disappointed with menu choices for lunch. It was interesting there but there are so many better options in the area. Quite expensive too for what we had.Special Features:
- ServiceLolLolDined on 13/8/2014We enjoy going there. People are very friendly, in particular at entrance, food is good, ambiance is very nice. Two diners ago though, we had a male waiter (short hair, slim, in his 30s, Italian?) who was not friendly and a bit obnoxious. We nearly said something upon leaving but did not want to spoil our nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fun for a bite and a catch upPruL3ithDined on 13/8/2014This was a good place to meet a business colleague and reasonable value. I loved the herring and the the choucroute. The Pimms sorbet was a good palette cleanser and overall very good value. Definitely come again.Special Features:
- excellentApplesDined on 12/8/2014I just love dining here whatever the occasion! It never let's me down. Glorious setting, wonderful food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buzzy atmospherepff1804VIPDined on 10/8/2014I went for lunch at the Wolseley with a friend. It was my first time there as it always seemed to be fully booked when I tried before. I found it very enjoyable, we opted for a regular two course lunch which was very nice but it is also a great place for brunch. The restaurant has an attractive, buzzy dining room, the service is efficient, altogether a pleasant experience, I'm not surprised it gets booked up so quickly. I would certainly be happy to go again.Special Features:
- One of my favourite restaurantspizzaeaterVIPDined on 9/8/2014one of my favourite restaurants in London. I always come here and it never disappoints! Came here with my sister who was visiting from America and her friend for the Afternoon tea with champagne. Service was attentive as always and the food incredibly moreish....Special Features:
- Andrew TayAdrew1Dined on 7/8/2014Comfort food done a cut above the rest, impeccable service. A delight pure and simple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Establishment stalwartthegallopinggourmetVIPDined on 7/8/2014It does what it does like an oiled machine. Food is good, venue is impressive, staff are efficient.
- Lives Up To The Hyp'spwallisVIPDined on 2/8/2014Our first visit since the restaurant had its revamp and it has to be said we really couldn't tell the difference, which is a good thing as there was nothing wrong with the decor in the first place. The Wolseley remains one of the more impressive dining rooms in London. We started with oysters along with 1/2 pint prawns followed by the rib eye and chips. As expected both were absolutely fine. If i'm being a little picky there was a slight downside with regards to the service which was a bit hit and miss, hardly surprising bearing in mind it was a manic Saturday evening cover. However this small detail did not detract from the overall experience and our enjoyment of a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.