London, W1J 9EBNeighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewolseley.com/
- Phone: 02074996996
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday – Friday: 7am – 11am; Saturday – Sunday: 8am – 11am
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Saturday – Sunday: 11:30am – 3pm
Afternoon Tea: Monday – Friday: 3pm –6pm; Saturday: 3:30pm – 5pm; Sunday: 3:30pm – 6pm
Dinner: Monday – Friday: 5:30pm – 11:30pm; Saturday – Sunday: 5:30pm – 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Lawrence Keogh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Private Dining Room seats up to 14 diners for lunch and dinner. The luxurious interior sits above the restaurant, yet feels part of the theatre below whilst offering complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Chillingworth 020 7659 9302
A word from The Wolseley
The Wolseley is a café-restaurant in the grand European tradition located at 160 Piccadilly in an impressive Grade II Listed Building serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Booking is recommended but a portion of the tables are available for walk-in customers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerEuropean
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Wolseley - Best restaurants in St. James's ›
The Wolseley reviews from OpenTable diners
357 reviews since 6 May 2014
brunch (194)afternoon tea (180)business meals (149)special occasions (146)sunday lunch (97)pre/post theatre (97)fit for foodies (77)romance (76)good vegetarian options (30)group bookings (23)child friendly (14)outstanding value (14)disabled access (10)outdoor eating (4)Show More
- Afternoon teaMKtbfDined on 29/8/2014Excellent service an un rushed atmosphere at the Wolseley for afternoon teaSpecial Features:
- London visitgillybeanDined on 23/8/2014We had dinner at The Wolseley and were very well looked after , nice table as requested , good service , (although we did not get any bread offered and were still billed for the cover charge ) My Halibut main course could have been better cooked & filleted (however I had been told it was a steak cut of fish ,cooked on the bone ) everything else was well cooked & presented .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and a fun placeElbeckDined on 19/8/2014As always the Wolseley was very busy which is part of its appeal although we had to repeatedly request what we required as our order seemed to be getting lost, difficult getting a waiters attentionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningRajie63VIPDined on 17/8/2014We booked The Wolseley to celebrate our eldest daughter's A level success and entrance to her first choice University. It was a Sunday evening. We all had a thoroughly good time and enjoyed a very high standard of service. The food was as expected from previous visits. Very good indeed for the most part. One slight criticism is that my wife who is vegetarian, chose the fettucine option with girolles mushrooms. Those that she did find were great but there really ought to have been many more. This slight irritation was however compensated for when our waiter brought over some macarons, having remembered when I said to him at the ery start of the evening that we weret here to celebrate the A level results. This was a great touch.Special Features:
- A lovely lunchmartintsVIPDined on 17/8/2014The Wolseley always delivers. Great room, great service and good food. Sunday lunch was very enjoyable - the Roast Rib of Beef was perfectly cooked and the crumble delicious. Can't think of a better way to spend Sunday lunch. Just one small comment - why a cover charge in addition to a service charge?Special Features:
- Great for afternoon teaKittyDined on 15/8/2014A great classic restaurant with a nice ambiance for afternoon tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuValerieDined on 14/8/2014Went there for lunch wit h a friend but we were both disappointed with menu choices for lunch. It was interesting there but there are so many better options in the area. Quite expensive too for what we had.Special Features:
- ServiceLolLolDined on 13/8/2014We enjoy going there. People are very friendly, in particular at entrance, food is good, ambiance is very nice. Two diners ago though, we had a male waiter (short hair, slim, in his 30s, Italian?) who was not friendly and a bit obnoxious. We nearly said something upon leaving but did not want to spoil our nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fun for a bite and a catch upPruL3ithDined on 13/8/2014This was a good place to meet a business colleague and reasonable value. I loved the herring and the the choucroute. The Pimms sorbet was a good palette cleanser and overall very good value. Definitely come again.Special Features:
- excellentApplesDined on 12/8/2014I just love dining here whatever the occasion! It never let's me down. Glorious setting, wonderful food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buzzy atmospherepff1804VIPDined on 10/8/2014I went for lunch at the Wolseley with a friend. It was my first time there as it always seemed to be fully booked when I tried before. I found it very enjoyable, we opted for a regular two course lunch which was very nice but it is also a great place for brunch. The restaurant has an attractive, buzzy dining room, the service is efficient, altogether a pleasant experience, I'm not surprised it gets booked up so quickly. I would certainly be happy to go again.Special Features:
- One of my favourite restaurantspizzaeaterDined on 9/8/2014one of my favourite restaurants in London. I always come here and it never disappoints! Came here with my sister who was visiting from America and her friend for the Afternoon tea with champagne. Service was attentive as always and the food incredibly moreish....Special Features:
- Andrew TayAdrew1Dined on 7/8/2014Comfort food done a cut above the rest, impeccable service. A delight pure and simple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives Up To The Hyp'spwallisVIPDined on 2/8/2014Our first visit since the restaurant had its revamp and it has to be said we really couldn't tell the difference, which is a good thing as there was nothing wrong with the decor in the first place. The Wolseley remains one of the more impressive dining rooms in London. We started with oysters along with 1/2 pint prawns followed by the rib eye and chips. As expected both were absolutely fine. If i'm being a little picky there was a slight downside with regards to the service which was a bit hit and miss, hardly surprising bearing in mind it was a manic Saturday evening cover. However this small detail did not detract from the overall experience and our enjoyment of a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dfraVIPDined on 20/7/2014very disappointing , very much a tourist venue, the noise level so high could not talk menu very limited went for a special occasion and expected more
- Simply the bestDrHPVIPDined on 13/7/2014Wonderful ambiance, the best service in London, great food and wine. The internal decor creates the most perfect setting. The internal design of tables around an arc allows for privacy at adjoining tables, if you ask. My favorite in London. Thanks to The Wolseley team.Special Features:
- Tea for Twopharm4foodDined on 13/7/2014The Wolseley was a great venue for a quick tea for catching up with old friends. Delicious tea and great ambience.Special Features:
- FANTASTICDined on 3/7/2014My daughter and I had never had high tea before and this was the best experience! We were visiting from the United States and chose The Wolseley because it was Fodor's recommendation. :0) We loved our waiter, the tea, scones, and sweets. It was perfect!Special Features:
- SimbaVIPDined on 29/6/2014The food was as good as usual while the service was terrific throughout.
- "No One"IlltelleveryoneDined on 24/6/2014I HATE being seated next to the service table, and no, no where else to move...promptly the waiter smashed a bottle if tobacco on the floor, all over my Chanel shoes and up my leg. No one offered to help, no one asked if I was ok. No one offered me a glass of wine as an apology. Food was mediocre, not great, not awful. But no one asked if our meal was correct, no one asked if we'd require anything else, no one asked if we cared!. We were handed dessert menus, we put them down and went to the Ritz next door....Special Features:
- The WolseleyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 24/6/2014I booked the Wolseley as a birthday present for my wife, and we were really looking forward to it. We booked mainly for the location and ambience, and though this was good as expected, the other elements were disappointing. The food was the right side of passable, but no better. More upsettingly, the service was poor. The room is great and the atmosphere lively, but this doesn't make up for the other shortcomings. Not recommended.
- I think I went 20 years too lateNickDined on 16/6/2014The waiters have an ego. I understand that the Wolsley is meant to be amazing, but the waiters tried their best to disprove me. The food is good, just not excellent and the decor has moved on from classic, instead it's tired.
- Expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 15/6/2014Considering how famous this place is and the name it has, it needs a little refinement. I must comment on the Roast, which I had on the Sunday and it was not up to par. The Simpson's does it 10x better. Issues included the fact that a) it was not served medium; b) I never got a steak knife, but had to cut with a regular knife and c) the Yorkshire Pudding was over-done, so by half-way in, it had hardened and very tough to cut. Improvements required here.Special Features:
- Elegant DiningimpressedDined on 14/6/2014My best friend and I went to the Wolseley to celebrate our 30th birthday. Staff were very professional, welcoming and likeable. Food was very good. I don't drink alcohol so ordered an apple juice but the host suggested mocktails to me. These were not on the menu but she was very accommodating and had one made for me. Very good service and a really nice experience post-theatre. I would definitely recommend the Wolseley and hope to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon birthday teajradDined on 14/6/2014I brought my ten year old and a few of her friends for afternoon tea to celebrate her birthday. The staff could not have been nicer. I was very impressed by the care they took of her and her friends as I watched from an adjacent table. Tea was great value for London as well.Special Features:
- The WolseleyDinerVIPDined on 14/6/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at The Wolseley, we have been many times and always find the service attentive, the food is excellent and we love the lively atmosphere. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- puddingDined on 13/6/2014The Wolseley is a classic with exceptional customer friendly service by well trained staff in a beautiful space. Food and wines were excellent, particularly crab with avocado and sea breamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favourites alwaysWhiteTigerDined on 11/6/2014I'm a regular visitor here and love it. One of the best breakfast places in London.
- As Usual Very goodMAIgourmetVIPDined on 8/6/2014This Brasserie style establishment is truly a very good spot for continental fare. the food is tasty and the service impeccable . We enjoyed the desserts too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic eleganceVictoriaKDined on 6/6/2014Fabulous food, attentive staff and wonderful people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant eveningworldtravellerDined on 4/6/2014Had not been here for a couple of years - very pleasant early evening dinner. Staff were very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service and great foodKarensaveDined on 2/6/2014Incredible service, amazing food, fast, great coffee, great atmosphere, price for some chips, coffee, ice cream and water was about 12£ pp which overall is not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab as alwaysKayceeDined on 31/5/2014Fantastic buzzy atmosphere in beautiful surroundings. Went at 10 am after theatre and still busy. Food was great and we ordered 2 starters and 2 drinks. Bill came to £70. A great choice from snacks to full scale meal. The service was attentive and very friendly. Can't wait to go back. My favourite West End restaurant.Special Features:
- Very average..fatcatVIPDined on 30/5/2014Although the interior of the restaurant is stunning, the standard and quality of food is pretty average for the price you have to pay (around £70 per person for 3 courses excluding drink easily). Service is good, but you only have 2 hour slot to finish your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CTCFoodDined on 29/5/2014I like the Wolseley because it produces reasonable food at reasonable prices in a lovely environment. The service is normally professional and efficient although on our last visit it took 20 mins to get a drink and 40 mins to order! To add insult to injury we were told that we had just enough time to have a quick dessert or coffee because the next guest booked on our table had not yet arrived! We paid our £400+ bill and left without coffee or dessert and feeling disgruntled. It wasn't out fault that the service was so slow!!Special Features:
- The WolseleyReviewer1VIPDined on 29/5/2014The Wolseley offered a high standard of quality food and service in an elegant setting in Central LondonSpecial Features:
- Fabulous lunchNoodlesDined on 28/5/2014As always the staff at The Wolesley just make you feel special! Davide and his colleagues are outstanding and I will continue to take clients here as the experience is unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharacterFirsttimedinerDined on 26/5/2014Pricey but Classy ! A fantastic venue for breakfast, lunch or dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitFrequentDinerDined on 24/5/2014I've been living in London for many years and always wanted to try breakfast at The Wolseley so I was thrilled when I finally managed last weekend. It was a great experience and the menu was so extensive with fantastic options I highly recommend it for the choice of foods and the atmosphere. I will be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, Location Very Goodjrc123VIPDined on 23/5/2014But strange that wine glasses are same as water glasses and not as refined as the choice of wines.Special Features: