164 Essex Road
London, N1 8LYNeighbourhood:
PeruvianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tierraperu.co.uk/
- Phone: 02073545586
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday,Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm Dinner: Monday to Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Friday to Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Tierra Peru
Tierra Peru is the latest South American restaurant in Islington. Opened in November, the menu features an authentic selection of Peru"s most popular dishes cooked in a traditional way, cevivhes, tiraditos, anticuchos, tamales- just to name a few- representing the different regions of this diverse country. The restaurant has a lovely and relaxed athmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tierra Peru reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since 22 May 2014
fit for foodies (58)special occasions (49)romance (43)group bookings (32)outstanding value (25)sunday lunch (23)pre/post theatre (18)good vegetarian options (18)business meals (13)child friendly (10)brunch (8)outdoor eating (5)disabled access (4)afternoon tea (3)Show More
- DissapointedAlemacDined on 12/9/2014Long delays in providing actual meal (3 hours!) and restaurant spent alot of time getting us drinks instead!
- Excellent foodAlejandraDined on 11/9/2014I was very much surprised with the restaurant. The food quality is amazing, all dishes are incredile. Don't miss arroz con pato, cusquena beer and inca cola.Special Features:
- Delicious every timeTalalaDined on 5/9/2014The food here is always so good. We have been back many times and will continue to! Also good value for money and friendly service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Something Newmfc31VIPDined on 2/9/2014Never had Peruvian food before, but this looked like an interesting place to try and I'd heard some good things about it... It definitely lived up to the recommendations of my friends. Something I didn't expect was to find seafood on the menu, but Google maps confirmed Peru was on the coast. The seafood in my dish was cooked perfectly, as was the rest of the food! Overall, we had a fantastic experience, and we'd happily go back!Special Features:
- amazing foodcosminDined on 29/8/2014Really good food, i literally could have eaten any of their dishes! Would definetely recommend, well priced as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteKarininaDined on 24/8/2014It's a fact, they are a bit slow in delivering the food, but as long as you are prepared and order right away, the experience is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food/place, overprice at timesAndyDined on 23/8/2014Overall we had a great experience. i read comments about slow service but we didn't have any problems. Food and drinks were great but I'm not so sure about being fairly priced. £3.99 for a bottle of water? Dessert was good but again not worth the money.Special Features:
- Just greatfrakDined on 20/8/2014Superb service from an attentive and friendly waiter and the portions were huge. Will definitely go back again for the new menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddidzVIPDined on 14/8/2014good food and good service. highly recommended. would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/8/2014The service was really good, the food was tasty and different. A few options were missing from the menu though and the portions were a little small so if I go again it'll be something to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite hitting the target.TheDarkOneDined on 19/7/2014We arrived 15 mins past our booking time and the table had been given away, which resulted in a long wait at the bar. The Pisco Sours were too strong, overwhelming taste of Pisco and less of lime. We had two starters, the ceviche, which was excellent and the taquitos which were a let down, not much cheese in there, but lots of hollow pastry. There was another long wait for the main courses, I do appreciate that they were busy, but when you arrive at 8.15 you are not expecting to receive the main course at 9.45. Pato con Arroz was pretty dull and the Lomo Saltado was heavy on the soy sauce and thus very salty. The chips were overdone too, dark brown and too crisp. We passed on dessert as we feared they would arrive at midnight!
- Paddington Bear would be proudWinston007Dined on 17/7/2014Dined for 2 during midweek. Opted for the 'Taster Menu'. Chris, one of the owners went through what we were about to order. Unlike many 'Taster Menus' these arrive all at the same time. Would have been nice to have known this in advance as we had waited nearly 30 minutes for it to arrive. However, the choice of dishes did not disappoint. Very much a place for foodies and ones who appreciate hot South American spices. I did suggest they provide a single sheet menu to give the customer a brief outline as to what each taster dish was and their contents. Not all guests will recall what the waiter is saying. My guest had fish....but he thought it tasted like chicken due to the strong lemon sauce it was in! Recommended pleasant experience.Special Features:
- fantastic cevicheMARYGDined on 15/7/2014We tried one of the set meals - platters - to share. The ceviche was outstandingly good, the best I have had outside of Peru. Two main course choices were good but overshadowed by the starters. Good choice of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 15/7/2014I booked the restaurant to celebrate my daughter's graduation and arrived at 6PM. For 30 minutes we were the only diners. In fact, by the time we left at 8:25 there were only 6 other people in the restaurant. I ordered some champagne which came fairly quickly however, it was served in wine glasses! We ordered at 10 minutes past 6 yet our starters did not arrived until 6:55. By 7:40 I talked to a lady who appeared to be in charge as our main courses had not arrived. They turned up at 7:55! The medium rare steaks were well done rather than rare and although the rest of the food was ok by that time we just wanted any food! There was not attempt to explain the delay let alone offer some type of discount or compensation. Very disappointing.
- Great food - when it arrivedAllyLimehouseDined on 12/7/2014Had looked for some different cuisine to try out, and settled on Peruvian. The menu looked wonderful so I booked a table for three on a Saturday evening. On arriving, the waiting staff seemed rather confused about our booking, even though it had all been confirmed in advance. However they quickly made up a table for us. I ordered the Ox hearts for a starter, followed by the Pork as a main. Drinks arrived quickly (Peruvian beer - very nice!). But for the starters we had to wait an hour!! What was most annoying was that the Maitre d' - although very apologetic - came up with different excuses. First he said the delay was down to "all our food being made fresh", then it was doen to a new chef, then it was down to a new waiter!
- Fantastic Peruvian RestaurantmeemoDined on 12/7/2014We loved everything about this place. We will definitely be returning.
- Fantastic Pisco Sours!!clevermeDined on 1/7/2014Fantastic Pisco Sours!! we had a set menu to sample a variety of items and weren't disapointed along with the warm service - made it a very enjoyable evening
- Destination for delicious foodMealdealerVIPDined on 29/6/2014We wanted something different - and found it in Tierra Peru's unusual ingredients, beautifully presented dishes and good portions. Ceviche starters, pisco sour cocktails and seafood were favourites. Neighbouring diners were enjoying a range of equally exotic and gorgeous dishes. Some mains could have been served a little warmer and less adventurous steak-eaters take note - be ready for huge portions of steak cooked to the rarest level around. The total bill including a jug of cocktails, was reasonable, especially with the TT offer based on 3 courses. Pleasant service. The location is less pretty than the interior and cuisine, but Tierra Peru is a destination restaurant if you want good South American food in North London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will think long about next visitLoveMyGritsDined on 15/6/2014Management's policy is that people at a table cannot do a mix of buffet and menu choices: either all of us choose the buffet, or all of us order from the menu. Because of "previous experiences with customers", we were told. The food was very good and we could not find fault with the service. But to start off the meal by being forced to make a choice that some of us didn't want to (or know about when making the booking) left us leaving the restaurant with mixed feelings. Will have to think twice before going back again.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/6/2014We had a 20:30 reservation and we were not served the appetizers until 21:30. Service was extremely slow. The pisco sours that we had were the best thing in the meal. The food was OK, not bad but it wasn´t anything special. We will not go back.
- A Great Taster of PeruCoopdegraceDined on 6/6/2014After searching through OpenTable for a new experience I stumbled across Tierra Peru, the reviews looked good so I took a gamble and booked a table. I am very glad I did! I took my girlfriend for our 2 year anniversary and I couldn't have chosen a better place. The decor was modern and sleek which provided a nice contrast to the menu which was (from what I can tell) very traditional. The food itself was amazing, full of flavour and colour. A surprise to myself and my partner a traditional Peruvian dance took place in the center of the restaurant which was a nice touch as entertainment while you ate. In conclusion this is a great little place about a stones throw from Essex Road station, I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Amazing Peruvian food in LondonfoodieliciousDined on 3/6/2014My friend and I wanted to eat Peruvian food because we both used to live in Peru and were craving some Aji de Gallina and tequenos... which were both fantastic! The waitress was very friendly and everything we ordered was absolutely delicious, including the pisco sours. ;) The restaurant is in East London between Angel and Highbury & Islington, in a neighbourhood where you wouldn't expect to find such a cute place. It's quite small but very tastefully decorated. The menu is affordable and you get good value for your money. Definitely worth a trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely great foodalexDined on 1/6/2014We've been to several peruvian restaurants in London and found that this one has very authentic great tasting plates, the portions are just right to get a starter, mains and share a dessert (2 people). Nice traditional yet modern decoration / interior. They also have some great cocktails, everyone should try the Pisco Sour / Maracuya! We will definitely go back for more!Special Features:
- Good valueMardineDined on 30/5/2014The portions were really big compared to other Peruvian restaurants where we had to ask for many dished to feel satisfied. So I would say it's a good value for money and overall good serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent & HealthyFoodloverDined on 23/5/2014Not too many people know about the Peruvian food, always take friends to this restaurant and they just love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Peruvian dining!ChrisDined on 19/5/2014We had never visited this place before and did so because there was an interesting offer. The service was smiling and efficient and the delcious food was presented in a really stylish and caring way. It was our first time but not out last!
- Great fooddawnageDined on 19/5/2014The food is inventive, varied and authentic, while service is helpful and friendly. We had a lovely meal, from start to finish, and plan to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Peruvian foodLocaleatingDined on 16/5/2014We ordered a couple of platters so that we could try as many dishes as possible. I've had very little Peruvian food in London and it was great to find ths place so locally. The staff were friendly and the food good. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love peruvian food? come to here!samacitaDined on 11/5/2014Excellent food. The Sunday brunch was ok, a couple of the dishes were a bit cold but overall the food is amazing! I totally recommend the ceviche yuum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection in a pisco sour!catherineVIPDined on 10/5/2014Tierra Peru is the place to visit for a flavour packed tongue tantalising feast of delight. Not only is each dish I’ve tried a complex mix of fierce freshness and soothing shading but the individual flavours of the quality ingredients is evident in all. The fish ceviche sings songs of joy - the lime based dressing illuminating its piscine mate! The weekend buffet is not only staggeribgly good value but a wonderful way to experience the vast array of dishes available; even for those like me who don’t eat meat! Peruvian quinoa is magnificent - go to Tierra Peru for it prepared and served by a lovely warm welcoming team and at its very best.Special Features:
- Great foodFirstTimeDined on 9/5/2014I recently went there on a date, and the venue was perfect. We got a platter to share which we really enjoyed and a dessert (Peruvian creme caramel). Very good food - especially the raw fish with coriander - and very friendly service. Found the ambience a little cold / impersonal but overall pleasant and nice. Quite expensive restaurant (especially for Angel) but the food was unusual and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic Peruvian cuisinebcasDined on 4/5/2014Having recently come back from 2 years in latin america I can definitely say that the food on offer here is authentic peruvian. The service was attentive without being intrusive and the selection of dishes was impressive. We have 3 courses and all 6 dishes we had between us were amazing with generous seafood.....not a tiny frozen prawn in site! The only thing I would say is the manager on duty seemed to be confused by the toptable offer of 50% off and we had to really convince her we werent lying. But other than that this is a real gem and will be returning very soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor serviceSandraabukleeDined on 2/5/2014unfortunately is nit the first time, I went before and even the service wasn't good we didn't mind because food was very nice, unfortunately food wasn't good at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodipeDined on 2/5/2014Ate here with a friend and arrived before it got busy. Service was great, friendly and swift, but when the restuarant filled up it seemed like there were not quite enough staff to keep up with all the diners. Never the less we had a very enjoyable dining experience. The food was delicious. My octopus starter was without question the best octopus I've ever eaten. I would come back just to have this again! We plan to return and try more food off their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodsimbDined on 2/5/2014I went with my peruvian wife as we had not found any good peruvian restaurants. The food was very good my wife had leche De tigre to start it was so good she had one for dessert. I had anticuchos which where just like you would get on the streets of lima. The pico sours are the best we have had outside Peru.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicioussaranicsDined on 1/5/2014delicious food, great service and will definately be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent placeRanyryanDined on 27/4/2014The food was a pleasant surprise and the venue was nice. Friendly staff tooSpecial Features:
- Dinner42gamaDined on 25/4/2014A small modernly furnished restaurant. Staff were helpful and friendly. We had a Peruvian platter consisting of a mixture of meat, fish and vegetables. It was well cooked and most importantly different. This is not a restaurant to experience cutting edge or Michelin standard cuisine but typical and tasty Peruvian food. It succeeded. It included ox heart and marinated raw fish. It was well worth the visit. Try it!!Special Features:
- Outstanding, Imaginative FoodAjayDined on 23/4/2014Outstanding, Imaginative Food, The Raw Fish in Olive Sauce was trully outstanding, best starter I've had in years! The Mains were of high quality too and the service was very very good.Special Features:
- Excellent flavour of modern PeruGapdocDined on 21/4/2014We took my daughter to Tierra Peru for a birthday celebration. We were delighted with the food which was authentic Peruvian with a modern streak that included veggies. We have travelled in Peru so we know a good cebiche when we have one. And this was great. The Pisco Sour was a huge hit and the atmosphere intimate and modern. They played happy birthday and brought a candle out with the pudding. Our only regret was that they didn't play it in Castellano!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.