164 Essex Road
London, N1 8LYNeighbourhood:
PeruvianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tierraperu.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7354 5586
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday,Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm Dinner: Monday to Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Friday to Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Tierra Peru
Tierra Peru is the latest South American restaurant in Islington. Opened in November, the menu features an authentic selection of Peru"s most popular dishes cooked in a traditional way, cevivhes, tiraditos, anticuchos, tamales- just to name a few- representing the different regions of this diverse country. The restaurant has a lovely and relaxed athmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutstanding Value
Tierra Peru - Best restaurants in Canonbury ›
Tierra Peru reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since 28 November 2013
fit for foodies (56)special occasions (44)romance (39)group bookings (27)outstanding value (25)sunday lunch (23)good vegetarian options (17)pre/post theatre (15)business meals (12)child friendly (9)brunch (9)outdoor eating (4)disabled access (4)afternoon tea (4)Show More
- Very good and authentic Peruvian foods and drinksBoutelDined on 15/11/2014Went to celebrate my wife's birthday and had a wonderful and enjoyable evening. We have Peruvian relatives and have spent a lot of time travelling in Peru, so are used to authentic Peruvian food. Eating at tiera Peru brought back many memories and the chef (who is from Peru) is outstanding. We had pre booked, the place was lively but not to noisy and the service was excellent and very amicable, particularly due to our waitress Deli, who was extremely helpful. So if you are looking for a little gem of Peruvian quisine, then this is the place to go! I would definately come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodMM12VIPDined on 12/11/2014A lovely decorated restaurant with nice staff. Great prices but food was a little bit of a let down. Ceviche, tamale etc good, octopus a little tough and dry. Delicious pisco sours, best I've had in London. Would give it another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerStokeyDined on 25/10/2014Wonderful food, excellent drinks and very good service.Special Features:
- PondusDined on 25/10/2014Excellent quality food - don't know why some other reviewers are complaining about the ceviche. Service a little eccentric, as usual, not being sure what was available and what was not, but friendly and willing and you would have to be a real stickler to make a difference. Only quibble - front door was not closing properly - this was no problem for us but might be a problem on a cold or wet day. But a very good restaurant - was pleased to see it almost full by the time we left as it deserves to succeed.Special Features:
- Embarrassing and disappointingTUM2Dined on 17/10/2014I have travelled widely in Latin America for work and have even written articles on Latin American food and was embarrassed at this very ng attempt pt to introduce some friends from the US, Japan and France to Latin American food. The sharing platter at £25 per person was vastly over-priced and the ceviche was particularly disappointing. Ceviche can be glorious and should be the signature dish for a Peruvian restaurant, but all three varieties on the platter were so over-acidic that they were virtually inedible. We did appreciate the friendliness of the serving staff and loved the pisco sours, but at £40 a head that is certainly not enough for us ever to go back.
- Excellent eveningdentistadavidDined on 11/10/2014Booked table for two. Nice size restaurant. Busy but not crammed. Good menu with really excellent authentic starters. Mains were more limited in choice but very tasty. Drinks as in Peru. Chicha, Inca Cola, Cristal and Pisco sour all available. Friendly service. A1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointing & overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014We ended up with a £90 bill having ordered one of the the recommended sharing platters for two and 3 cocktails. The pork meat used across a few of the platter recipes was so fatty to be practically impossible to eat. What a disappointment! The waitress was really nice and the cocktails were good, but this is a food establishment and the food is what we went there for. We surely won't go back anytime soon.
- Great food, slow service...johnpolloDined on 27/9/2014The food was great, real peruvian... What I used to eat at home before escaping Peru. Sadly, the ceviche was not great (sandy corn, uncooked sweey potato) but everything else was great... I recommend the "Arroz con Pato" and the "Chicharron de Chancho" Service was slow with just one waiter taking food orders, but after my second chilcano... It didn't even matter. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tierra PeruOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/9/2014We went to Tierra Peru to relive our memories of travelling around South America. The ceviche was authentic and my seafood main was nice too. The atmosphere was relaxed and casual and the service friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedAlemacDined on 12/9/2014Long delays in providing actual meal (3 hours!) and restaurant spent alot of time getting us drinks instead!
- Excellent foodAlejandraDined on 11/9/2014I was very much surprised with the restaurant. The food quality is amazing, all dishes are incredile. Don't miss arroz con pato, cusquena beer and inca cola.Special Features:
- Delicious every timeTalalaDined on 5/9/2014The food here is always so good. We have been back many times and will continue to! Also good value for money and friendly service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Something Newmfc31VIPDined on 2/9/2014Never had Peruvian food before, but this looked like an interesting place to try and I'd heard some good things about it... It definitely lived up to the recommendations of my friends. Something I didn't expect was to find seafood on the menu, but Google maps confirmed Peru was on the coast. The seafood in my dish was cooked perfectly, as was the rest of the food! Overall, we had a fantastic experience, and we'd happily go back!Special Features:
- amazing foodcosminDined on 29/8/2014Really good food, i literally could have eaten any of their dishes! Would definetely recommend, well priced as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteKarininaDined on 24/8/2014It's a fact, they are a bit slow in delivering the food, but as long as you are prepared and order right away, the experience is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food/place, overprice at timesAndyDined on 23/8/2014Overall we had a great experience. i read comments about slow service but we didn't have any problems. Food and drinks were great but I'm not so sure about being fairly priced. £3.99 for a bottle of water? Dessert was good but again not worth the money.Special Features:
- Just greatfrakDined on 20/8/2014Superb service from an attentive and friendly waiter and the portions were huge. Will definitely go back again for the new menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddidzVIPDined on 14/8/2014good food and good service. highly recommended. would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/8/2014The service was really good, the food was tasty and different. A few options were missing from the menu though and the portions were a little small so if I go again it'll be something to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite hitting the target.TheDarkOneDined on 19/7/2014We arrived 15 mins past our booking time and the table had been given away, which resulted in a long wait at the bar. The Pisco Sours were too strong, overwhelming taste of Pisco and less of lime. We had two starters, the ceviche, which was excellent and the taquitos which were a let down, not much cheese in there, but lots of hollow pastry. There was another long wait for the main courses, I do appreciate that they were busy, but when you arrive at 8.15 you are not expecting to receive the main course at 9.45. Pato con Arroz was pretty dull and the Lomo Saltado was heavy on the soy sauce and thus very salty. The chips were overdone too, dark brown and too crisp. We passed on dessert as we feared they would arrive at midnight!
- Paddington Bear would be proudWinston007Dined on 17/7/2014Dined for 2 during midweek. Opted for the 'Taster Menu'. Chris, one of the owners went through what we were about to order. Unlike many 'Taster Menus' these arrive all at the same time. Would have been nice to have known this in advance as we had waited nearly 30 minutes for it to arrive. However, the choice of dishes did not disappoint. Very much a place for foodies and ones who appreciate hot South American spices. I did suggest they provide a single sheet menu to give the customer a brief outline as to what each taster dish was and their contents. Not all guests will recall what the waiter is saying. My guest had fish....but he thought it tasted like chicken due to the strong lemon sauce it was in! Recommended pleasant experience.Special Features:
- fantastic cevicheMARYGVIPDined on 15/7/2014We tried one of the set meals - platters - to share. The ceviche was outstandingly good, the best I have had outside of Peru. Two main course choices were good but overshadowed by the starters. Good choice of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 15/7/2014I booked the restaurant to celebrate my daughter's graduation and arrived at 6PM. For 30 minutes we were the only diners. In fact, by the time we left at 8:25 there were only 6 other people in the restaurant. I ordered some champagne which came fairly quickly however, it was served in wine glasses! We ordered at 10 minutes past 6 yet our starters did not arrived until 6:55. By 7:40 I talked to a lady who appeared to be in charge as our main courses had not arrived. They turned up at 7:55! The medium rare steaks were well done rather than rare and although the rest of the food was ok by that time we just wanted any food! There was not attempt to explain the delay let alone offer some type of discount or compensation. Very disappointing.
- Great food - when it arrivedAllyLimehouseDined on 12/7/2014Had looked for some different cuisine to try out, and settled on Peruvian. The menu looked wonderful so I booked a table for three on a Saturday evening. On arriving, the waiting staff seemed rather confused about our booking, even though it had all been confirmed in advance. However they quickly made up a table for us. I ordered the Ox hearts for a starter, followed by the Pork as a main. Drinks arrived quickly (Peruvian beer - very nice!). But for the starters we had to wait an hour!! What was most annoying was that the Maitre d' - although very apologetic - came up with different excuses. First he said the delay was down to "all our food being made fresh", then it was doen to a new chef, then it was down to a new waiter!
- Fantastic Peruvian RestaurantmeemoDined on 12/7/2014We loved everything about this place. We will definitely be returning.
- Fantastic Pisco Sours!!clevermeDined on 1/7/2014Fantastic Pisco Sours!! we had a set menu to sample a variety of items and weren't disapointed along with the warm service - made it a very enjoyable evening
- Destination for delicious foodMealdealerVIPDined on 29/6/2014We wanted something different - and found it in Tierra Peru's unusual ingredients, beautifully presented dishes and good portions. Ceviche starters, pisco sour cocktails and seafood were favourites. Neighbouring diners were enjoying a range of equally exotic and gorgeous dishes. Some mains could have been served a little warmer and less adventurous steak-eaters take note - be ready for huge portions of steak cooked to the rarest level around. The total bill including a jug of cocktails, was reasonable, especially with the TT offer based on 3 courses. Pleasant service. The location is less pretty than the interior and cuisine, but Tierra Peru is a destination restaurant if you want good South American food in North London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will think long about next visitLoveMyGritsDined on 15/6/2014Management's policy is that people at a table cannot do a mix of buffet and menu choices: either all of us choose the buffet, or all of us order from the menu. Because of "previous experiences with customers", we were told. The food was very good and we could not find fault with the service. But to start off the meal by being forced to make a choice that some of us didn't want to (or know about when making the booking) left us leaving the restaurant with mixed feelings. Will have to think twice before going back again.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/6/2014We had a 20:30 reservation and we were not served the appetizers until 21:30. Service was extremely slow. The pisco sours that we had were the best thing in the meal. The food was OK, not bad but it wasn´t anything special. We will not go back.
- A Great Taster of PeruCoopdegraceDined on 6/6/2014After searching through OpenTable for a new experience I stumbled across Tierra Peru, the reviews looked good so I took a gamble and booked a table. I am very glad I did! I took my girlfriend for our 2 year anniversary and I couldn't have chosen a better place. The decor was modern and sleek which provided a nice contrast to the menu which was (from what I can tell) very traditional. The food itself was amazing, full of flavour and colour. A surprise to myself and my partner a traditional Peruvian dance took place in the center of the restaurant which was a nice touch as entertainment while you ate. In conclusion this is a great little place about a stones throw from Essex Road station, I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Amazing Peruvian food in LondonfoodieliciousDined on 3/6/2014My friend and I wanted to eat Peruvian food because we both used to live in Peru and were craving some Aji de Gallina and tequenos... which were both fantastic! The waitress was very friendly and everything we ordered was absolutely delicious, including the pisco sours. ;) The restaurant is in East London between Angel and Highbury & Islington, in a neighbourhood where you wouldn't expect to find such a cute place. It's quite small but very tastefully decorated. The menu is affordable and you get good value for your money. Definitely worth a trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely great foodalexDined on 1/6/2014We've been to several peruvian restaurants in London and found that this one has very authentic great tasting plates, the portions are just right to get a starter, mains and share a dessert (2 people). Nice traditional yet modern decoration / interior. They also have some great cocktails, everyone should try the Pisco Sour / Maracuya! We will definitely go back for more!Special Features:
- Good valueMardineDined on 30/5/2014The portions were really big compared to other Peruvian restaurants where we had to ask for many dished to feel satisfied. So I would say it's a good value for money and overall good serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent & HealthyFoodloverDined on 23/5/2014Not too many people know about the Peruvian food, always take friends to this restaurant and they just love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Peruvian dining!ChrisVIPDined on 19/5/2014We had never visited this place before and did so because there was an interesting offer. The service was smiling and efficient and the delcious food was presented in a really stylish and caring way. It was our first time but not out last!
- Great fooddawnageDined on 19/5/2014The food is inventive, varied and authentic, while service is helpful and friendly. We had a lovely meal, from start to finish, and plan to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Peruvian foodLocaleatingDined on 16/5/2014We ordered a couple of platters so that we could try as many dishes as possible. I've had very little Peruvian food in London and it was great to find ths place so locally. The staff were friendly and the food good. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love peruvian food? come to here!samacitaDined on 11/5/2014Excellent food. The Sunday brunch was ok, a couple of the dishes were a bit cold but overall the food is amazing! I totally recommend the ceviche yuum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection in a pisco sour!catherineVIPDined on 10/5/2014Tierra Peru is the place to visit for a flavour packed tongue tantalising feast of delight. Not only is each dish I’ve tried a complex mix of fierce freshness and soothing shading but the individual flavours of the quality ingredients is evident in all. The fish ceviche sings songs of joy - the lime based dressing illuminating its piscine mate! The weekend buffet is not only staggeribgly good value but a wonderful way to experience the vast array of dishes available; even for those like me who don’t eat meat! Peruvian quinoa is magnificent - go to Tierra Peru for it prepared and served by a lovely warm welcoming team and at its very best.Special Features:
- Great foodFirstTimeDined on 9/5/2014I recently went there on a date, and the venue was perfect. We got a platter to share which we really enjoyed and a dessert (Peruvian creme caramel). Very good food - especially the raw fish with coriander - and very friendly service. Found the ambience a little cold / impersonal but overall pleasant and nice. Quite expensive restaurant (especially for Angel) but the food was unusual and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.