Tsunami - Clapham
5-7 Voltaire Road
London, SW4 6DQNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £26 to £40
Tsunami - Clapham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tsunamirestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7978 1610
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:30pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 6:00pm – 12:00pm & Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Tommy Cheung
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: PRIVATE PARTIES (up to 100 people) If you interested in having a party then look no further than choosing Tsunami. You can create your own menu as well as choosing wine from our extensive wine list. We also have barman on hand to mix up some pre-dinner or event cocktails as well as all the staff you need for a successful day or evening. We offer a wide variety of canapés and will be more than happy to discuss a menu which may best suit your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Darrin Morrisby 07939654318
A word from Tsunami - Clapham
Tsunami is a hidden gem in Clapham, creating a timeless and relaxing environment for diners. If you can't afford to go to Nobu it's the perfect place to please every pallet without hitting your pocket too hard. Tucked away from the hustle of West End life, conveniently located just a few steps from the tube station, this award-winning Japanese restaurant offers alluring intimacy. Stepping through the wooden-framed door from the pulsating street, swamped with party goers Clapham High Street, a sense of calmness descends upon anyone who enters Tsunami, an intriguing and welcoming Zen paradise. The reputation of Tsunami rests primarily on its extensive menu which includes a wide variety of the usual Japanese fares such as sushi, tempura and teriyaki. If you are a fish and seafood fan you will instantly fall in love with this minimalist, fairly-priced restaurant. A three course meal for two guests averages out to about £60 with green tea, a cocktail and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Tsunami - Clapham - Best restaurants in Clapham ›
Tsunami - Clapham reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (111)romance (105)fit for foodies (98)group bookings (49)business meals (38)good vegetarian options (26)outdoor eating (17)outstanding value (14)sunday lunch (14)brunch (13)child friendly (11)pre/post theatre (7)disabled access (3)Show More
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/11/2014We had a selection of appetisers, the Sake tasting set and I had the Sea Bass with rice - very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, reasonably pricedFoodie1Dined on 13/11/2014Good food, especially the battered prawns in spicy sauce. We left satisfied but not overly full. Large range of sake and reasonable wine lost although a little overpriced. Overall service was really good and the food was really good too So yes we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fooddoigmVIPDined on 8/11/2014We had a great evening here, the service is professional and very attentive without being over-bearing, and the food was INCREDIBLE! Bursting with flavour, very inventive, great presentation and the wine list isn't too bad at all and very reasonably priced. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Overpriced and poor serviceWpascoeDined on 31/10/2014The food was very nice although very much overpriced for a Clapham restaurant. The service was generally poor and the staff were standoffish and rude. For what we paid for a meal for 2 (well over £100) I would have expected to be waited on much better. Next time I'll pay that little bit extra and eat at Zuma.Special Features:
- Amber-RoseCambaDined on 30/10/2014Everything I ate was lovely! The black cod is a must. Amazing!! Service was perfect.... Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Overall, a great restaurant. Would recommend 100%Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodTigerwontVIPDined on 22/10/2014Definitely not a cheap eat, but the food is worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JROpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 15/10/2014clearly not on same level as Zuma/Rokas, but has an acceptable price tag relative to the quality so I guess all in all fair/good value
- Sensational TsunamiAnitaBDined on 11/10/2014A local favourite for us, many a night spent here putting the world to rights, gossiping, dealing with work stress and heartache...and more often laughing the night away over a Bonsai (pls put it back on the cocktail menu) and yellow tail with jalapeños! I do think it's a little pricey, but perhaps that's what is required of a place that serves fresh sushi. Look forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and superb cocktailsLadyGDined on 27/9/2014Once again Tsunami delivered a delicious dinner, the sushi and tempura were fantastic and the soft shell crab delicious. The cocktails were very good too and overall the service was excellent and very attentive.Special Features:
- Hit and missbutunlikelyDined on 20/9/2014Some beautiful sushi, and nice cocktails, but an expensive dinner marred by one terrible dish. Stick with the sushi, it's very very good. Great place for a date.Special Features:
- MartyDined on 12/9/2014Having dined here over 30 times we have only ever had great food, service and a great night, and its very reasonably priced too, a place not to be missed..Special Features:
- A strong sharp kitchen.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Tsunami was pleasantly buzzy for a Sunday evening. A warm welcome & friendly banter from host as we ordered cocktails, but then abandoned w/out said drinks for > 30 mins. Food is delicious: I'd particularly recommend the salt/sweet of tempura blue cheese stuffed courgette flowers with sweet miso dip, although the sashimi, salt & pepper squid & the wagyu beef were all yummy. Let down by variable service as waiters alternatively abandoned us (we again waited another 30 minutes for our wine) or tripped over each other duplicating each others efforts. Overall we would def. come back here for the food - but the waiting staff & their leadership isn't currently anywhere near as disciplined, sharp and professional as the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinner on weekdayfridaxDined on 1/9/2014We had a table for two at Tsunami. The selection of Japanese food is exquisite (a bit pricey), the quality of the food was excellent (we had preselected sushi/sashimi dishes), service was outstanding. Would come back again for dinner during weekday. Thanks.Special Features:
- Always goodMissSDined on 29/8/2014Tsunami never disappoints. The food is delicious and service and atmosphere always fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent....Toptable1Dined on 23/8/2014I've been a few times to Tsunami and taken various people with me (from all over London and beyond) who have all loved it. The food is always excellent quality and the service is simply outstanding. The waiters are always incredibly attentive without being too intrusive and make you feel very at home. I would highly recommend this place if you want to impress your guests.Special Features:
- pinheadDined on 22/8/2014Bad service staff really thick! Husband left his bank card behind band they didn't even call to tell me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tsunami ClaphamPeteVIPDined on 21/8/2014Usual story, top good, slightly idiosyncratic service. Overall v pleasant as ever.
- Delicious! Get there early!GirlyDiningDined on 19/8/2014The restaurant is easy to get to and easy to find, plenty of parking around. We arrive at 7pm on a Tuesday when the restaurant wasnt busy so we had a nice table. It starts to get busy after 7.45pm. Services was very friendly and attentive - the waiters were still serving with smile although the venue was almost full at 8.15pm. Food quality is extremely good, much beyond my expectation. Love the soft shell crab and the Wagyu beef sushi. Tempura was freshly fried and served hot and crunchy. Though it was slightly pricey but i'll say well worth it. The only downside - i left a note in my booking saying that it was for my husband's birthday, no arrangement was made at all to make our dinner a little bit more special.Special Features:
- DinnernellsDined on 16/8/2014I booked this restaurant for an anniversary dinner and I have to say it was a lovely meal indeed. Apart from the slight mix up when the food arrived (food initially given to the table next to us) the whole experience was one to remember. The cocktails were very tasty indeed and the duck for main was out of this world! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2014The only bad thing I have to say about this was the service was extremely slow. Three of the tables around us including ourselves had to ask for attention. The waiters and managers were all really apologetic and very friendly I just think maybe they had too many tables and not enough staff. Once we had service however the food was sensational! I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in all areascjm1307Dined on 8/8/2014As an avid sushi fan who has been to Nobu on a few occasions, I was pleasantly surprised by Tsunami in my local area of Clapham. Great service from start to finish and absolutely delicious food in a lovely, dainty japanese decor restaurant. Couldn't' fault it! Will be going back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodMarkDined on 8/8/2014Pros: Good sushi - and the dynamite beef is lovely. Service is good and friendly. Nice ambience and cocktails. The waiters and hosts were very attentive. Cons: If smoking is permitted outside, please make that clear to diners (and/or include signage). We had outside seating which was great, but it was interrupted when multiple individuals dining inside came out on a break to smoke right in front of the entrance (or upon leaving the restaurant) near other diners. Please create a smoking section to the far right or left of the restaurant) to separate it from the outdoor dining area which can help the dining experience (and cloud of 2nd hand smoke experienced).Special Features:
- Great food and ambienceLauraDined on 8/8/2014Always great. The cod is amazing and a must and tuna tataki was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FayeB3Dined on 7/8/2014Superb food and super-friendly staff. Look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SAMPODined on 7/8/2014I had dinner on 7th August,2014 and was a little dissapointed.The whole restuarant had a run down/tired feel and is in need of a total refresh.The table was sticky and the whole place needs a proper clean. Service was also poor and all staff seemed disorganised and as if it were their 1st night ! . Having been one of the first people in at 7pm we were told straight away all the Sauvignon Blanc was not available ?. Constantly hassled to order and then a big delay and it wasnt that busy! Have to say the food itself was very tasty albeit the portions quite small. Given the cost versus this experience I wouldnt say it was good value and there are plently of good as well as up and coming restuarants in the area that are better.
- Amazing as always..EleniDined on 3/8/2014Tsunami is my favourite place to relax after work with a cocktail and delicious food. It is definitely recommended !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, service disappointingdw99Dined on 2/8/2014as always food lovely, especially the black cod but the service is really very bad. staff are very nice and well meaning but don't give a thought to the overall dining experience. no water brought to table while you peruse menu, food brought before way before wine, offered another bottle of wine just as first glass being poured but then never offered wine again! you feel like your evening is continually disrupted to try to get their attention. I haven't been there for a few years and the service has always been the same so I wanted to write this review in the hope something may change.Special Features:
- Food ok, service poorAsianfusionDined on 1/8/2014This is a popular Clapham venue serving Asian fusion cuisine, with a bar and outside seating. Although on our recent visit, the food was carefully prepared and presented, it did not make up for the erratic, amateurish service including one bottle of white wine served lukewarm and gaps in attendance followed by incessant attempts to clear dishes which were not yet eaten. Overall represents poor value for money and benefits from a lack of competition in local area of restaurants of this type.Special Features:
- Favourite restaurant in LondonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/7/2014I went here for my birthday and never cease to be impressed with the delicious menu, outstanding service and wonderful atmosphere. It's a great location and is lovely both in the summery warm evenings when the front is open but also in the winter as is ambient and cosy. A truly fantastic restaurant. I recommend thinking outside of the box and ordering from the mains list. The grilled scallops starter is also a must-try.Special Features:
- Gc111Dined on 29/7/2014Very tasty, well presented food. Friendly, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food and good serviceMilsDined on 25/7/2014Really lovely food - loved the special of courgette flower and blue cheese tempura and of course the black cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, excellent staffYasmineSaraDined on 22/7/2014One of the best sushi restaurants in London (without breaking the bank) and great to have it local. Food is divine and speaks for itself, staff are friendly, helpful and accommodating, drinks are scrumptious!Special Features:
- Great foodFoodloverDined on 19/7/2014Dinner was scrumptious...dessert was amazing and cocktails delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPeteDined on 19/7/2014Tsunami is one of the best value Japanese in London - excellent food, good choice. The only complaint is that the main room can be quite noisy. Moved after starters to a table in the little terrace outside, no fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in ClaphamEatlotsDined on 19/7/2014We enjoyed the food enormously, and the service was excellent. Very glad to find that the disco music that seems obligatory these days was less intrusive this time. Why have it at all in a crowded restaurant? This Muzak is the only drawback of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodHMSmiley123Dined on 19/7/2014Tsunami was new to us when we visited for lunch on a Saturday. We were probably fortunate in that there were few other patrons as it took some effort to catch the eye of the waiting staff; this level of service could have been very frustrating on a busy evening. However, the food was excellent; better than expected given the location. We shared several appetisers, amongst them: yellowfin tuna tartare, which was quite unusual in texture but delicious; superb salt and chilli squid, very crisp with a wonderful sauce; wagyu beef and foie gras nigiri, which were so tasty; and the most fabulous snow crab and prawn dumplings, probably the best we'd ever tasted. We would definitely return again for the quality of the food. Recommended.Special Features:
- had a lovely timeaccacappaDined on 9/7/2014It was my first time eating here. It is located just outside clapham high street which is convenient. The ambience could work for an intimate date, or a casual lunch/ dinner with friends as well. They have outdoor seating which gives you a view of people milling in and out of the station. Service was excellent, our waiter kept checking on us and refilling our water glass without having to prompt him. The food was great. The sashimi selection was delicious although I could state that you could get the same quality from japancentre at a lesser price. The mains were absolutely gorgeous. I recommend this as a good option for a first date since it offers options for people with specific diets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againMarkBVIPDined on 25/6/2014No complaints at all, good food at good prices and would happily go againSpecial Features:
- Great as alwaystryingoutDined on 22/6/2014Had a wonderful evening there. Food and service were great as alwaysSpecial Features:
- DisappointingRachelDined on 20/6/2014I went for dinner with friends on a busy Friday evening. We were squashed into a corner of the restaurant in a booth/chairs which meant you had to squeeze past your fellow diners to get up. I'd read great reviews for Tsunami and was expecting something spectacular but found it all a bit underwhelming. Maybe we didn't choose the right dishes but the presentation didn't match the photos I'd seen on the website. Portions were on the small side and apart from the sauces didn't have much flavour. We shared some tempura and the batter was greasy and not crisp! The sushi rolls were ok but didn't differ much from supermarket sushi. The Toban Yaki had dirty looking prawns - not good. I don't think I'd go again based on this experience.