Upstairs at the Grill
70 Watergate Street
Chester, CH1 2LANeighbourhood:
SteakPrice: £25 and under
Upstairs at the Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.upstairsatthegrill.co.uk/
- Phone: 01244-344883
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Saturday: 12.00pm - 3.00pm, Sunday: 12.30pm - 5.00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5.00pm - 10.30pm, Sunday: 5.00pm - 9.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak
- Executive Chef: Slawomir Grzegorzewski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room available for up to 10 guests. Exclusive Hire available for up to 75 for an informal celebration or 40 for a sit down meal. Please contact Katie Hearse directly for all enquiries.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Hearse 01244.344883
A word from Upstairs at the Grill
Upstairs at the Grill is influenced by both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. It blends the quality and charisma of an upmarket Manhattan steakhouse using rare breed beef with the best that local, seasonal produce has to offer. The Upstairs bar has been designed as the perfect spot to enjoy a long sophisticated cocktail while being tempted by both the menu and the sommelier's lengthy wine list. Downstairs the grill itself has been created to seduce, giving a dining experience not to be forgotten. Upstairs at the Grill has the air of a private dining club, where guests are invited to forget about the outside world and lose themselves in the decadence of the interior, the flavours of the food and the excellent collection of award winning wines from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Upstairs at the Grill - Best restaurants in Chester ›
Upstairs at the Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
308 reviews since 3 June 2014
special occasions (250)romance (175)fit for foodies (157)sunday lunch (77)business meals (66)group bookings (38)pre/post theatre (35)outstanding value (27)brunch (13)child friendly (5)afternoon tea (5)disabled access (2)outdoor eating (2)good vegetarian options (1)Show More
- A real step upFoodFan51Dined on 28/9/2014I wanted an extra special Sunday lunch and it was exactly that. Food quality and quantity was perfect and excellent service. Highly recommended for just a few pounds more than a standard pub. Well worth the little extra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialDuckmanDined on 27/9/2014Superb food, fabulous service, just the best dining experience I have had this yearSpecial Features:
- a new findGourmetGrandmaDined on 26/9/2014The quality of the service and food was extremely good. Salad was fresh and crisp. Steaks cooked just right, chips fresh and crisp and starters tasty and well presented. The added bonus was the bar upstairs a quiet haven of indulgence.Special Features:
- se faire plaisir en AngleterrebrunoGDined on 25/9/2014Ce fut chose faite avec ses excellentes viandes parfaitement choisies et cuites de façon tres precise. Le choix des morceaux se fait sur un plateau , tel un ecrain pour metre en valeur ces merveilles. Tres jolie bar auremier avec un nombre impressionnant de gin. A recommanderSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/9/2014Had a farewell dinner and was extremely happy with the great service received from all the levels of staff. The food was good and each steak we ordered was cooked as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant by farTablefor2Dined on 20/9/2014This is our favourite place to done on special occasions and the staff made our latest visit extra special by providing a birthday card and cake (at a small cost) for my boyfriends birthday. The service was outstanding the food amazing and a wide variety of drinks available. Would highly recommend this place to couples or families wanting a special meal. *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 14/9/2014Absolutely excellent. Everything about this place was top-notch and words can't do it justice. Prices were slightly high but it was completely worth it. If you go to Chester and don't eat here, you are missing out big time! Would definitely go again, and the service was astoundingly better than any restaurant I've ever dined in. The politest staff who were very helpful and approachable, and they kept a close eye on all diners incredibly well. Eleven out of ten!Special Features:
- Amazing steaksteaktreatDined on 13/9/2014The steak is just consistently beautiful and everything else compliments it well. My only niggle is the drink prices seem a little high. Great cocktail bar upstairs though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLoucroxallDined on 12/9/2014From the moment we walked in the door we felt special. The service and everything was outstanding. This is now one of my favorite restaurants. It was a wonderful night. Nothing was too much trouble and every member of staff was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The food was amazing and the wine/ cocktails were lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superbfamily3Dined on 12/9/2014Visited on Friday night. Simply outstanding service - very attentive but not intrusive. Food excellent and a great ambience. Happy to send the whole night there, retreating to the upstairs bar after a lovely meal and the staff happy to call a taxi. Complete bill for 4 - £200. But that was the WHOLE night. aperitifs, 3-course meal, cocktails, wine, the lot. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- 2nd time aroundDanCubDined on 7/9/2014This was our 2nd time visiting UATG! This was just as good as the 1st! We love this restaurant and look forward to going back. I had the bone in ribeye, which was totally awesome. My partner took the controversial move of not ordering a steak and had the Sunday lunch. He was not disappointed, he said it was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodlushladyDined on 6/9/2014Lovely food as always. Ambience is excellent as are the staff and service.Special Features:
- A very good restaurant....eandmlDined on 2/9/2014We have been 3 times now and each time the food and quality is outstanding - thoroughly recommended! So is the candy apple cocktail!Special Features:
- Amazing.ChopsDined on 1/9/2014Outstanding quality, lovely atmosphere and the staff couldn't be friendlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real experiencemarcialitiousDined on 31/8/2014Service excellent food quality excellent ambience excellent could not fault a really lovely experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The steak you've been cravingChooseyDined on 30/8/2014I hadn't enjoyed a good steak meal from a restaurant in years, so at the point of virtually craving one I tentatively booked lunch at Upstairs at the Grill with a friend. I had been dreaming of tasting this for so long that nothing but the best was going to satisfy my taste buds. I was not left disappointed. The steak was cooked beautifully, the chips and onion rings were excellent too. I ordered the Saturday deal for just £11 and felt the value for money was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful and created a relaxing yet sofisticated ambience. I will definitely be recommending Upstairs at the Grill to friends and family.Special Features:
- GreatKitkatDined on 30/8/2014We always have our pre-races lunch on a Saturday. There lunch special is a great price and the steak is always well cooked. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best dining experience in yearsEllie28Dined on 26/8/2014What a delight! Classy, without being snobby. The most beautiful food and drinks. Treated so wonderfully by the very professional staff and if you love interior design you will want everything in the restaurant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat!ChesterStuDined on 25/8/2014Just the best steak, had the Rib Eye on the bone- awesome! Chips were a bit expensive but overall quite reasonable, very good service, No wonder it's up there in the top 3 restaurant in ChesterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Amazing..FoodieDined on 24/8/2014From arrival to leaving everything was fabulous!! The staff - Extremely Friendly & Knowledgably, nothing is too much trouble The Restaurant - Quite small however that is not a bad thing, it just the place a real romantic atmosphere The food - Absolutely amazing, truly lovely!!Special Features:
- Lovely food, staff and surroundingsGuzzlerDined on 23/8/2014We had lunch on Saturday when there is the option of a fixed price option. It was incredible value and if we could have secured a reservation one evening during our visit to Chester, we would have returned.Special Features:
- Great Steak!!SteakeaterDined on 20/8/2014We were greeted by a very attentive gentleman who made no problem of our last minute request to add another to our party at the last minute. We were shown each type of steak available with an explanation of where each cut came from and the differences between them which was very enlightening. The food itself was excellent as was the service all the way through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dining experienceAndy4TracyDined on 19/8/2014I have eaten at this restaurant on several occasions with friends but specifically wanted to take my husband so he could experience their fabulous food and service. He was not disappointed. This restaurant is excellent in every way. The food is incredible and the staff polite, attentive and knowledgable. It's not the cheapest restaurant I've ever been to but it's most definitely one of the best and you come away knowing it was money well spent. I have recommended it to many of my friends and can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- James and Sarah-Jane BartonJamesDined on 17/8/2014Outstanding service, especially Alex upstairs in the bar. Very knowledgable and was happy to talk us through the extensive drinks menu. Food was very good and the waitress service was spot on. The waitress even asked me to check my steak before eating it, never had that happen before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableKathrynDined on 16/8/2014This is the second time we have been to Upstairs at the Grill and will be back. The steaks are very good and the service second to none.Special Features:
- A relaxed atmosphereMorris2014Dined on 16/8/2014Me and my boyfriend came here for lunch on a Saturday afternoon and were met at the door by friendly, polite staff who led us upstairs for drinks. The drinks menu surpassed all expectations (as long as you aren't the designated driver) and the atmosphere at the bar was just as it should be, relaxed. The menu had something for everyone considering their main focus is steak, you would not be disappointed if you wern't a steak fan. We both had the lamb with peas, posh bacon and a side of triple cooked chips. The meal arrived with four chips which seemed to be in a different style to the triple cooked chips (and were nicer). The lamb was cooked beautifully and the portion size was perfect. Overall a very nice spot for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ellie22Dined on 15/8/2014Only one word to describe this restaurant.....SUPERB !!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticsteakloverDined on 15/8/2014Second time I've been and it lived up to expectations. The food and abiance is lovely. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding meat!dingaDined on 10/8/2014Great restaurant! meat lovers simply have to visit this place if you're in the area. Bar upstairs is really nice and staff were friendly. The cocktail menu however is pretty much unreadable, simple print would have done fine instead of the fancy undecipherable handwriting. Apart from that the place was great! starters are a little on the pricey side but tasted great. And the fillet on the bone and porterhouse steak were amazing. Not the cheapest restaurant but a great steakhouse highly recommended by my girlfriend and ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous once againLoobylooDined on 9/8/2014We've been 3 or 4 times now- for anniversaries and birthdays and the food/ambience/service just gets better every time. All totally perfect. Glam but relaxed. There is nowhere better to eat in Chester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday weekendmazzaDined on 9/8/2014Had the best meal ever, the whole experience was fantastic from the moment we got there. Will definately be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and attentive serviceRobTDined on 3/8/2014We have already been to Upstairs at the Grill on several occasions and decided to go again to celebrate a special wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed at all, with the usual combination of excellent food and attentive but not intrusive service. It is not cheap, but it is reliable and consistent.. Our only comment would be about the small size of the restaurant, which means that the tables are close together. It also makes early booking essential as it fills up very quickly whenever there are "events" in Chester. The upside is that the service feels very personal.Special Features:
- Excellent food and great serviceSmiler8745Dined on 1/8/2014Had a wonderful dining experience. The staff were very attentive and the food was delicious. I would high recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodPeterboroughvisitorDined on 29/7/2014Great quality steak and very attentive staff. Also they were very happy to prepare side dish that wasn't on the main menu. The drinks list is extensive and varied including non alcoholic options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingpennylaneDined on 27/7/2014We went to Upstairs at the Grill to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary. A friend recommended the restaurant and it didn't disappoint. We started with a superb deaths door gin and tonic at the bar and were talked through the menu (both food and drink) which meant we ordered the perfect meal and wine, tailored to our exact taste. The steak was absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection. The staff were friendly and very attentive. We both agreed it was the perfect evening, from the most incredible gin and garnishes, down to the blue cheese sauce for our steak and the fat chips. I would highly recommend this place, we will certainly be visiting again!Special Features:
- Fab food, drinks and servicePerfectionDined on 25/7/2014I have been to upstairs at the grill a few times and every time it has been spot on! The food is great, they have a vast choice of drinks and the service is exceptional. My partner and I most recently went for our birthdays and we received a glass of champagne each on the house and a birthday card from the staff. The staff are more than happy to talk you through the menu and make you whatever cocktail you want. The best restaurant in chester without a doubt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceDavtonDined on 20/7/2014My wife and I went to Upstairs at the Grill on Sunday 20th July to celebrate or Anniversary. From the outset the staff were very helpful and could not do enough to make us feel welcome. The service was exceptional - we particularly liked the explanations given for the various steaks on offer and they did not disappoint!. The food was excellent - no complaints at all. Whilst the prices may seem on the higher side, this does represent very good value and we would recommend this to anyone who is looking for something other than the usual "run of the mill" night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTaraTulipDined on 19/7/2014This is one of the best restaurants I've visited in the Uk. The steak was cooked to perfection and the rest of the food was fantastic too. The service we received was also excellent - attentive without being intrusive . It was the perfect setting for a birthday meal. The unusual presentation of the cheesecake was a nice surprise too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good steaksGeo800Dined on 14/7/2014This was definitely the best meal we had during two weeks in England. Very friendly and attentive staff. Food portions were perhaps not quite as large as they should be but nonetheless a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2SOCsDined on 13/7/2014Overall a very pleasant evening can be had at the upstairs on the grill and we would recommend it to anyone. Situated at the end of watergate it is easy to find as you walk through Chester. From the moment you arrive you are invited in and taken upstairs to a bar area where the staff make tou feel welcome and oblige with any questions you may have. The steak is done perfectly, the portions are just right and the service was plesant and approached at the right intervals without being over bearing. We enjoyed our evening out and will most likely be back again soinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.