89B Acre Lane
London, SW2 5TNNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.upstairslondon.com/web/index.html
- Phone: 02077338855x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday to Saturday. 6.30pm to 11pm.
Sunday, Monday Closed.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Full Bar
A word from Upstairs Restaurant
Upstairs Restaurant is a chic, unpretentious restaurant tucked away upstairs in a Victorian corner house on Brixton's Acre Lane. With soft colours, open fires, reclaimed wooden floors and leather banquettes, Upstairs Restaurant has the ambience of an intimate local supper club. Frequented by low-key celebs and designers, the understated restaurant was recently awarded the seal of approval from Michelin with a Bib Gourmand. Upstairs is ideal for discreet meals and private parties, with a bar located on the first floor. The short, Francophilic menu changes fortnightly - but signature dishes include grilled sardines with provencal vegetables; steak tartare and melon with port; and the traditional English apple crumble.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Upstairs Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since 23 October 2013
romance (17)special occasions (13)fit for foodies (10)business meals (3)child friendly (1)group bookings (1)pre/post theatre (1)sunday lunch (1)Show More
- Always GoodDandyabouttownDined on 5/7/2014Have been many times to Upstairs. The food and wine are always good and its a friendly and intimate space.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in BrixtonVivJ123VIPDined on 5/7/2014This is my fifth visit to Upstairs since moving to Brixton and it's still my favourite restaurant in the area. The food, wine and service are excellent and it's made even better by the small number of tables. I'll be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatPSEEDined on 12/6/2014This is the second time I have been to this restaurant and it has never disappointed. Great food - I had the 6 course tasting menu with wine. It was delicious. Better than many central London restaurants with Michelin stars in my opinion.Special Features:
- Well worth a visit!SeriousfoodieVIPDined on 4/6/2014We had the tasting menu with wine pairing. The cocktail upon arrival was delicious as were all six courses, my favourite being the chocolate ganache with nougat, ice cream and peanuts. The service was attentive and the courses were nicely spaced. Certainly exceeded my expectations and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwayseatsVIPDined on 12/4/2014This restaurant is always excellent. Imaginative, beautifully cooked food by people who really understand what they are doing. Good value considering the quality of it and lovely setting.Special Features:
- Still goodtttwwwDined on 26/2/2014Second time I've eaten here - food wasn't quite as exquisite this time around but it is a seasonal menu so it will vary - service and ambience can't be beat, I'll definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special and discrete venue.Paca73Dined on 11/2/2014An unusual and secret environment. Fantastic tasting menu with excellent wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner upstairs in BrixtonHappymattDined on 12/12/2013A true gem of a restaurant in Brixton-outstanding food ,service and ambience .A wonderful meal ,friendly staff and excellent choice I cannot recommend highly enough. My work means I entertain clients 6 nights a week this restaurant is definitely on a par with those twice its price -go before it becomes too well known !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second vist and second wonderfulReviewerDined on 4/12/2013Second vist and second wonderful evening with great food and lovely, friendly service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten trackMichaelDined on 4/12/2013Lovely place, nice decor and very friendly staff. The only negative thing I can say is that the portions are tiny so don't go in there too hungry....Special Features:
- Wine is the winnerTrinityDined on 22/11/2013The wine menu is fantastic and they are very forthcoming with advice on your selection. The one we had was out of this world and we moulded our food choice around it. Food was of a good quality, some things lacked a little punch but maybe they were just over shadowed by the wine. It's a lovely experience dining here and without knowing it, we had spent 3 hours dining and drinking away (if we are picky, the service was a little slow but we had the wine so all was fine!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No need to go to central londonValBDined on 16/11/2013No need to go to central london to find a innovative and finest meal! One the good surprise of Brixton Atmosphere cosy and relaxing Owners passionated by the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodKrispycatDined on 24/10/2013Great food and lovely atmosphere. Friendly staff and a great location for our anniversary dinner! Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- The following 297 reviews are from the Upstairs Restaurant reviews archive.
- Unique atmospherepsdinnerDined on 12/10/2013Love the atmosphere and friendly service. Thoughtful, well designed interior rooms. The staff knowledge of the food was very detailed and they were very friendly, good humoured and attentive. There's a general romantic ambience to the restaurant. The food and drink was quality, perfect - the lamb I had was one of the best I had and they have a fantastic range of wines. Excellent and very friendly service, we didn't have to wait too long.The Upstairs is very special for us and we will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive for what it is...maidavalemanDined on 4/10/2013I had high hopes of this place but left disappointed. The food is decent but unexciting and portions small (left hungry after 3 courses). Desserts particularly poor. French ambience feels somewhat forced and the maitre d was trying to upsell on the wines. In the end it came to 75 a head for 4 people with 3 bottles of wine. Poor value based on the offer.
- Fell asleep during mealkayeDined on 3/10/2013Service was so slow. No offering of tea/coffee after a 7 course tasting meal. Waited for over half an hour for the bill. Food was okay, nothing exceptional, not worth the journey to Brixton.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and foodanonymousDined on 26/9/2013Had a great night at upstairs with some friends - started with amazing cocktails followed by 3 excellent courses (and rather a lot of wine.) Service and ambience were great - I'll be back (but only on special occasions otherwise the bank balance won't look good....Special Features:
- upstairs brixton - a hidden gemeddieDined on 26/9/2013a little hard to find just off acre lane, above opus. upstairs is amazing. the staff were really friendly and welcoming and the food was fantastic. we had the tasting menu (£41) with wine flight (an extra £17). *excellent* value. a really great meal in an awesome setting. highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious authentic cuisine.tn01Dined on 20/9/2013Delicious authentic cuisine. So authentic there were a dearth of options for vegetarians. Also no soft furnishings so the place got very loud. We went for the food though and in that respect were happily satisfiedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upstairs DownstairsTrinityDined on 6/9/2013We were treated like royalty on arrival in this slightly quirky, oddly decorated, but strangely charming restaurant. A buzz of people enjoying their meals, waiters actually knowing what they are serving and some fantastic food. A real find for me as it was missing in this area, I can't believe it's been here this long without me finding it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightSpMoceDined on 5/9/2013My husband and I are trying to institute the Date Night idea when we go out once a month just the two of us and I am glad I chose Upstairs to start this tradition. This restaurant is a romantic spot and the food and wine were superb. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsCityConsultantDined on 16/8/2013My wife and I found the food magnificent (must more like a Michelin star restaurant!) with personal and friendly service. Portions are also decent - not the tiny arrangements you sometimes get in upmarket restaurants. Prices are pretty reasonable considering how good the food is. This is a real gem in SW London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but not our favourite visitonehappydinerDined on 15/8/2013We have eaten here a few times and this time round we forgot to check what was on the limited seasonal menu in advance unfortunately. If you have certain allergies or you are vegetarian there is not much more than one dish to chose between which is something to be aware of. The food however is rather good although our last visit we were just not too impressed. Group bookings and special occasion definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely find in Brixton, wentbbbennnDined on 13/8/2013Lovely find in Brixton, went for our anniversary, was perfect - bit random, quite romantic, surprising, good food and attentive, but not obtrusive, service. Would recommend and will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative dessertsMaloneDined on 9/8/2013My dessert was something I had never encountered before and it was amazing. It was a richness of colour and the taste combination delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodCamboVIPDined on 12/6/2013Food was of top standard. I hadn't read much about it before going & it was a little bit more fussy than I expected it to be - perhaps just because of the location. Therefore it was more expensive & than anticipated & the presentation of food was lovely, but jsut not as expected. Eg. chicken wings were a couple of little chunks cut off the bone. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely, but just not what was anticipated. My fish starter was amazing - bursting with flavor.Special Features:
- Worst service ever!!!!!!Omar1234Dined on 1/6/2013Took three hours to have dinner despite there being only a few tables. We had to constantly ask for the courses and even bread (which never came). The staff were rude and no apology was offered despite our and other tables constant protests. also the food although ok was VERY expensive. Was a very bad experience when it was meant to be a special occasion... WILL NEVER GO BACK
- Excellent mealeatsVIPDined on 31/5/2013Beautiful cooking, all ingredients superb and imaginately cooked. Lovely calm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was absolutely fantasticBrixton2Dined on 25/5/2013The food was absolutely fantastic and the service was incredible. The waitress was happy to explain the different menu options and was generally very nice. The restaurant itself is very well laid out and perfect for couples.Special Features:
- A spectacular birthday treattastemoreDined on 10/5/2013I recently celebrated my birthday and, as a surprise, my boyfriend took me to Upstairs. The place oozes character, entering at street level through an unassuming front door you immediately head upstairs. The 1st floor has a more relaxed bar with the 2nd floor opened up to hold around 10 tables. The staff were fantastic, we had a great table by the window and they struck just the right balance of being attentive without constantly asking how we were. The menu was simple with the staff providing the details of each dish which was quite simply sublime, balanced to perfection with us both leaving saying that we hadn't eaten food that good in years. A treasure of a place in, what is fast becoming, one of the most diverse dining areas in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favouriteSpottydogDined on 26/4/2013Fantastic restaurant with amazing food and the ambience is great. Go there as often as possible, however was slightly disappointed in the service last time. Waited ages for our main course and had to ask for bread which is normally served as part of the service. Will not stop us going back though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant neighbourhood restaurantHardyDined on 29/3/2013In an unassuming location, Upstairs delighted us from start to finish. The service was exceptional albeit only a few tables. My boyfriend and I sat next to the fireplace which felt quite intimate. The waitress made several wine and food suggestions after we asked-all the dishes were lovely. We would eat here all the time if not for the high prices. Great for special occasions though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemCazsheDined on 22/3/2013The menu did not touch the exquisit composition of the intricate and interesting dishes -wow! We had Gnocci/Ox tail to start followed by the Ling/Lamb. The gnocchi was the favourite, supper light silky texture mmm! Recommended for parties of 4 or less as it can be noisey in this intimate atmosphere with larger groups. We went early on a Friday evening, it evening started very relaxed with attentive service, quiet and intimate with cool jazz, but ended with a full resturant, noisy groups, dance music and stressed service. Overall still a fantastic experience and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little priceyDevilishDined on 13/3/2013You would never guess that it was there and has a good location with good food. Menu is a little expensive and would only be a special occasion place for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Set in a converted VictorianDCDiningOutDined on 2/3/2013Set in a converted Victorian flat turned into restaurant spread over two floors – it was like a set where you were invited round for dinner and you would pay what you think the hosts deserved. The experience itself was good and the service was excellent; it was an intimate restaurant but a little overpriced for the location, quality of food being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cosy, super posh, amazing foodJhed1Dined on 19/2/2013I came here with my partner for a post valentines dinner and we loved the feel of the place. Simple decor, soft candlelit rooms with a roaring fireplace and a feeling that we were in a secret place all to ourselves! Food was excellent, as was the service, I recommend this place for a special occasion for couples, quite pricey but worth a visit at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantLouandalexDined on 15/2/2013We went here for a special occasion and had a lovely evening. It felt very special, the service was outstanding and the food delicious. We have already recommended it to a number of people and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try the taster menukth8Dined on 12/2/2013lovely variety in the 7 course taster menu. all well explained by the helpful waiters and nice cocktails tooSpecial Features:
- Intimate and excellent diningpilsburyDined on 8/2/2013We visited Upstairs in Brixton about a year ago now and wanted to go back for a pre-valentines dinner to make sure our first experience wasn't a fluke - i'm pleased to say it wasn't :) one of the best things about this place is the service - the maître d' is charming and polite, with no stuffiness at all and the staff are friendly yet know when to keep their distance too. The food is fab - 4 choices for each course + the option of a cheese course too. Our highlights were the beef tartare, the roasted chickpea and squash, the sea bass with fennel and the rhubarb and ginger baked Alaska. the place seemed quite empty for a Friday night - please make a special trip to this place to support a great small business serving way-above-average food.Special Features:
- I went to Upstairs for thedinelaDined on 1/2/2013I went to Upstairs for the first time with two friends. I couldn't fault it, and throughly enjoyed my time there. It feels like a very high end pop up restaurant, above a shop, but has all the trappings of what you would expect from a high end restaurant with a la carte menus. A great balance for true foodies, as it creates a comfortable atmosphere. There is a smaller menu to chose from than you would normally expect, but this is because a great level of prep and presentation goes into each dish. I'd certainly come back.Special Features: