69 Marylebone Lane
London, W1U 2PHNeighbourhood:
ScandinavianPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.verru.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079350858
- Hours of Operation:
Open Mon - Fri: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, 6:00pm - 10:15pm
Open Sat: 12.30pm - 2.30pm, 6pm - 10.15pm
Open Sunday 12.30 - 3.30, 6.30pm - 8.30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Scandinavian
- Executive Chef: Andrei Lesment
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from Verru Restaurant
Small but perfectly formed, as the saying goes, the Scandinavian Verru restaurant is nestled in the very heart of London’s lovely Marylebone Village in the West End. Great effort has gone in to creating a chic but unpretentiously frill free interior here, in a long, narrow dining room with exposed brick walls, large mirrors and parquet flooring, the simplicity of the décor recognisably true to the roots of the Verru menu. Indeed Executive Chef and owner Andrei Lesment, previously at big name London restaurants such as Maze and Pied a Terre, has plundered his own Estonian background as well as the flavours of its Baltic neighbours in creating Verru’s two AA Rosette daily changing menu. With only twenty-six seats, a surprisingly affordable menu and wine list and a fast growing reputation as one of the capital’s most exciting modern restaurants, prior booking for Verru is absolutely vital in order to avoid disappointments.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Verru Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since 2 June 2014
fit for foodies (15)special occasions (7)business meals (6)romance (6)brunch (3)good vegetarian options (2)outstanding value (2)outdoor eating (1)sunday lunch (1)Show More
- restaurant closed downplantsforallDined on 16/11/2013Very disappointed as we had a reservation, but when we arrived restaurant was shut. Looked like Verru had been closed for some time. Top table needs to have a word with the owners.
- verru is closedteeboneDined on 14/11/2013they called me day of reservation and said "we just sold the restaurant, closed it, and will reopen in December under new management" nice of them to call before I schlepped to Marlyebone High Street, but sort of a surprise and disappointment.
- What to do if the place is sold?DKofWestTwoVIPDined on 12/11/2013We arrived to be greeted by the new owner apologising that the place was closed. He had bought it a few hours earlier in the day and the ex owners had taken the list of bookings with them so no one could be informed. Not a good situation when our guests were expected any moment. And why is Top table asking for a review nearly a week later?
- No longer tradingAndyDined on 11/11/2013It has closed down!!! I got a confirmed reservation from top table and arrived to find the lights off and a sign in the door saying it had closed.
- shocking shocking shockinglondoner17Dined on 10/11/2013I booked the Verru restaurant and invited my 4 dear friends from France for special occasion for Sunday evening dinner .After a lot of talk about fantastic food and service they was very curious to see that place and taste good food! I got confirmation by email that we booked restaurant for Sunday 10/11 at 7 pm. When we came for special dinner we was stoned....inside was dark, and outside the sign ' WE ARE CLOSED' I was shocked .... it was disaster , as I organized and invited my friends to celebrate special occasion! I didn't know what to say or what to do... as to go to all good places around you need to book in advance.We end up on the street. I was very surprised how was possible to book the table on Toptable when restaurant closed!!!!
- Useless toptableImreDined on 10/11/2013Toptable booked us in for Sunday lunch on Sunday 10th November without apparently realing that Verru is SHUT on Sundays and, apparently has been for months. Sort yourselves out you fools - you really messed up our SundaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedILSEDined on 9/11/2013Last saturday we arrived late at London city but were glad that we had made a reservation in the Verru.We looked forward to our visit to the restaurant because of the positive reactions on tripadvisor and toptable.Unfortunately the restaurant seemed to be closed last saturday.The day before we got a mail to remind us of our booking so we didn't understand it at all.We were very disappointed and find it respectless.There we stood late in London city ...so we had to look for another restaurant at that hour in a city that we still don't know that good. I would never book my table at toptable again.You can not rely on the system.
- ClosedlogoffDined on 9/11/2013As the restaurant had unexpectedly closed down - WITHOUT NOTIFICATION - we were left on the street in the cold at 6.00 pm on Saturday 9th November. So cannot give a review. Fortunately the area has plenty of other places to eat...
- Disappointed in toptable as,Electra50Dined on 8/11/2013Disappointed in toptable as, despite receiving a booking confirmation ,when we got there the restaurant had closed down! Wasted trip. Won't be booking with Toptable again.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andKarenVIPDined on 1/11/2013The food was excellent and the venue very pleasant.Special Features:
- Always a lovely experienceJanineMarksDined on 25/10/2013The food at Verru is consistently excellent and delicious. The staff are delightful and efficient and the ambience is warm and friendly. I would definitely recommend Verru for a special lunch or dinner for 2 - 10 people. I hope to go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We booked this restaurantSallyVIPDined on 23/10/2013We booked this restaurant for an evening out with our son. We had been several times before and have had good experiences every time. However this time it was a disaster. Firstly the three of us were squashed onto a table for two. Then the waitress gave us the menu and told us that one starter was off, fair enough. When we came to order more than half of the starters and main courses were off so we had to compromise on choice. Then they did not have the wine we wanted so at that point we left. It was only 8pm so why had they run out of food? This is just not good enough for London where the competition is great. Lookout Verru you days will be numbered if you don't pull your socks up!!
- A Real GemphGastromanVIPDined on 11/10/2013Verru is a real gem in the heart of Marylebone , a tiny restaurant , always busy so booking is essential deliveries big flavours very well presented from start to finish ! It does not disappointSpecial Features:
- Great findCaroDined on 11/10/2013I don't eat for business often in this area but what a good lunch finds. We had a discrete table I. The lower level. We had a variety of starters and mains. Everyone raved. Very attentive staff. Great value alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in small restaurantKenwhiteDined on 4/10/2013We visited Verru as result of a friend's recommendation and were impressed with the great food and service we received. The set lunch menu was excellent value. The quality of ingredients was first class. I would not hesitate recommending this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- Verru Good !phGastromanVIPDined on 2/10/2013Tucked away in Marylebone Lane this 'almost walk by eatery' serves delicious food for a most reasonable price. The lunch time set menu at £17.50 for 2 courses represents excellent value and I will definitely return. The Herring was without doubt the best I have ever had ! The service was a little patchy and needs to improve quickly but overall to be highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- The following 201 reviews are from the Verru Restaurant reviews archive.
- Have been coming here forScottyDined on 28/9/2013Have been coming here for some time. Excellent pre-theatre menu and good value. An intimate venue, which is a pleasant change from the pump up the volume restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceSparrowDined on 24/9/2013again at Verru - the food is interesting and the staff professional and friendlySpecial Features:
- The menu is unusual and thechasDined on 21/9/2013The menu is unusual and the food tasty. Strong flavours mean that seemingly small portions are filling.
- BrilliantOGBGDined on 20/9/2013Charming location, intimate setting and most importantly excellent food. I would have been pleased with any selection from the menu and in the end elected for the deer which was done exactly as requested and very flavourful. For a starter would definitely recommend the scallops. Will be back and will recommend widely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gemFulhamrocksVIPDined on 14/9/2013Lovely little restaurant in marylebone village, a must for foodies. The food was described as 'scandinavian' on toptable, but 'baltic' would be more accurate. The combinations of ingredients are amazing, some sounded odd on paper (eg mackerel and pork) but tasted incredible on the plate! A special mention to the lovely dessert I had, the 'vana tallinn' baba with cream. The atmosphere was cozy but really this is the kind of place to go if you like food out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectKateDined on 14/9/2013This was our third visit to Verru. It is perfect in every way. Expensive but worth it. Will always eat here when back in LondonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to impresshimNherVIPDined on 13/9/2013Verru is fast becoming my favourite restaurant in London. I keep going back and each time I'm impressed with the quality of produce, the deftness of the cooking and the fantastic Scandinavian twist to the food, all of which is brought together in a cosy environment. Brilliant and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favourite restaurantsMazwatDined on 13/9/2013Had not been for a while but decided to take advantage of the early dinner menu. This is excellent value for money and the food is of a very high standard and very well presented. We also love the fact that you can order a carafe of wine. We will definitely go back when next in the Marylebone areaSpecial Features:
- Verru - Scandinavian chicEG89Dined on 9/9/2013Exceptional food quality and remarkable service. The presentation of the dishes is incredible and taste is amazing, combining fresh produces and traditional items a very creative way. Very pleasant to finally have a quiet restaurant in London, where most ones are always very noisy, even gastronomic restaurants.Special Features:
- Consistently goodSecretloveVIPDined on 6/9/2013We have been to Verru a number of times, always for quasi business lunches, relaxed but efficient. The food has always been very good, the service attentive and friendly. On this occasion I thought everything was particularly good. We were the first ones in and the last out and we weren't rushed or pressed. Understated but very good and reliable.Special Features:
- A treasure of Marylebone LaneGBJWVIPDined on 5/9/2013Well this was a pleasant surprise: I had found Verru on here and the menu looked good, the website was (good-)quirky and the photography was excellent - don't underestimate how important it is to get the atmosphere across on the website: so many restaurants fail at this. It was one of the hottest afternoons of the year so as I approached Verru with my business client, I was wondering whether we should look for somewhere else with some outside space. I'm so glad we stayed where we did: the food was delicious and beautifully served, the staff were charming, the wine was exceptional and I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was. As a regular business diner, I was expecting 50% more on the bill. I thoroughly recommend that you try Verru.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought out MenuArborioDined on 21/8/2013A well thought out menu, allowed for a balance choice perhaps pushing me to make choices I would not normally do. Well presented, good quality, and well seasoned equals great food. the restaurant is small and the tables are close together, and there is a temptation to join in with your neighbours conversation. Overall great food, knowledgeable staff, good location.Special Features:
- Small and intimatedineoutDined on 17/8/2013The food is excellent, good flavours well put together and served by very pleasant professional staff. For me, the only down side was the lack of space, the waitress had to squeeze passed dinners and this was quite annoying constantly having my chair knocked as she went through the very narrow gap. Good choice of wine. The prices are well placed and I would certainly visit here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable dinnerMasterDined on 12/8/2013The food and service were fantastic and we had a wonderful evening. We selected the menu on our waiter's recommendation, each dish was beautiful. There were different waiters who brought over our dishes and each one was amiable and enthusiastic, which is a rarity it seems at restaurants these days. We would be keen to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit pretentiouscigno2neroDined on 7/8/2013Overall a good experience. Food is nice and choice is good. Maybe a bit pretentious.Special Features:
- Verty enjoyableMrGrumpyVIPDined on 6/8/2013Tiny but not cramped, very good Scandinavian-influenced food, beautifully presented with very pleasant serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the menu promised...GussioDined on 6/8/2013Visited Verru for lunch. The menu reads well, but each dish that we tried lacked taste or excitement. Lovely service and nice surroundings. Poor coffee, which was over-priced. The set menu offers good value, perhaps we just chose badly.Special Features:
- Cosy and charming place -JodiDined on 29/7/2013Cosy and charming place - friendly and cheerful service. food too good overall - best dessert is the baba rhum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small and very good qualityTravelmanDined on 18/7/2013I have eaten at Verru three times and always feel happy with it. I tend to choose fish dishes and these were outstanding. I had a starter of eal and heriring followed by halibut with pork cheek. Both dishes were innovative and very well turned out. Very satisfying for foodies who do not want for quantity. I will be backSpecial Features:
- Great valueluvthefoodDined on 12/7/2013The weekday set lunch menu is great value and the food is amazing. The little things like the fresh rosemary bread at the start of your meal is a lovely touch too. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My third visit to Verru. BeautifulraleighreesVIPDined on 25/6/2013My third visit to Verru. Beautiful presentation of food- even the teenagers remarked on it. Not too heavy a meal, which I prefer. Lovely flavors. Will be back againSpecial Features:
- DeliciousKateryan757Dined on 22/6/2013The food was some of the best I have ever eaten. In addition, there was a mix up with my booking and the restaurant called to ask if I would change from 8.30 to 9, which I was happy to do. On arriving we were shown to our table and we each received a glass of fizzy! Amazing service. The whole evening was wonderful and I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VerruShrimpwriterDined on 22/6/2013We visited on a sat evening and it was busy, we were seated upstairs which is very small and did feel a bit like we were having dinner with the people on the table next to us! Staff were perfectly nice and friendly, food was good but for me that does not eat meat there was not a great variety. The herring & smoked eel tartare starter and the crab were very good. Mains were a curried cod and lamb rump also good although we did think food and wine were expensive. Described as a Scandinavian restaurant, we were disappointed that it didn't seem very Scandinavian e.g. Steak and fries! May visit again if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a really excellent spot for lunchgrampusDined on 20/6/2013delightful staff. excellent house wine available at sensible prices. the fixed price menu is very good value and the cooking is of a high standard. one day will stray onto the a la carte! It is a bit cramped but not really a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.