15-17 Grindlay Street
Edinburgh, EH3 9AXNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://zuccarestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 0131 221 9323
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12pm-2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5pm-9pm and Friday - Saturday: 5pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Glennie
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Zucca can cater for all your outside (or in-house depending on the size of your party) catering needs, from small platters of hot and cold food to private dinner parties, corporate entertainment and larger events such as weddings and birthday celebrations. The food can be tailored to your specific needs and personal taste. Service can be provided from highly trained and professional service staff.
- Private Party Facilities: Zucca, being part of the Lyceum theatre building, provides private dining facilities in the Henry Irving and Ellen Terry Rooms (Please note: a fee of £150 applies)
- Private Party Contact: Giacomo 01312219323
- Entertainment: COCKTAIL MASTER CLASSES
Experience making your own cocktails or stand back and watch the experts show you how it"s done. Ideal if you are planning a special evening with friends, or work colleagues.Price £ 40.00 pp
Enjoy five premiere Italian wines with friends; learn about the heritage of each estate, the character of the grape and the correct tasting technique.
1)Tapas and Tasting; five premiere Italian wines with a selection of Italian tapas £30pp
2)Fine Wine Dinner; five premiere Italian wines plus 3 course meal from our Theatre Menu £45pp
- Public Transit: There is a Bus stop and a Taxi rank 20 metres away from the restaurant, located on Lothian road.
Haymarket & Waverly stations 15,20 mins walk/8,10 mins cab ride.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is street parking and a NCP car park located on Castle Terrace just at the back of the restaurant.
A word from Zucca Edinburgh
"Our goal is to serve the freshest and finest Italian food, and good quality wines, at a reasonable price, with the highest degree of service with real passion'Continued
The restaurant, with its theatrical theme, serves fine Italian dishes whilst retaining its freshness and simplicity.
The restaurant, with its theatrical theme, serves fine Italian dishes whilst retaining its freshness and simplicity.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
Zucca Edinburgh - Best restaurants in Edinburgh ›
Zucca Edinburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since 29 November 2013
pre/post theatre (140)outstanding value (44)special occasions (28)good vegetarian options (26)business meals (25)group bookings (21)fit for foodies (19)romance (18)sunday lunch (15)brunch (9)afternoon tea (6)child friendly (4)disabled access (2)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Refused a la carte menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/11/2014Only disappointment was that we were only allowed to chose from pre-theatre menu which was for a 2 or 3 course meal. For those who only wanted 1 course or starter & dessert only this was poor value. Asked for A la carte but refused. If this is normal policy it should clearly stated when booking
- ErmacoraDined on 18/11/2014The food was refreshingly good. The makerel salad was tasty and fresh although could have been improved by the pips in the grapefruit being removed. Service was pleasant but a bit slow for a business lunch. Good options for the vegetarian diners. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeSusandyDined on 15/11/2014None of the above really reply. We found Zucca by chance on Google as we were looking for a place to eat before the All Black's game. We found the restaurant to be very pleasant. The choices were good and very tasty. I had the blue cheese salad which was amazing. The dishes were well presented. The staff were very attentive and the cost was extremely reasonable. I would certainly recommend Zuccas and I will consider the restaurant whenever I get back to Edinburgh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- evening mealcallyphilDined on 4/11/2014enjoyed our visit. the food was good and the service was friendly and efficient. the only problem is the lack of ambience in the place. it totally lacks atmosphere. the chairs we had were uncomfortable although other tables did have a different style which looked very comfortable. there is a lot of competition in this area of Edinburgh but thirs restaurant lacks something and its not the food.
- Pre-Filmhouse MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 14/10/2014Very enjoyable meal but extras quickly increase meal cost to quite a high figure above headline price.Special Features:
- Big let downEnjoyagoodmealDined on 11/10/2014Fettuccini was in fact tagliatelle and bland, the risotto was tasteless and the rice was not made with a risotto rice. The ribeye steak was ok but presented without any imagination. The oil/balsamic mix ran out very quickly with the salt close on its heels and not to be replenished at any time. They knew we were celebrating my friend's birthday but nothing at all was done to make the occasion feel special. We did not order a sweet or coffee and left feeling that La Zucca was very much style over substance and not good example of Italian cuisine. Being next to the theatre they will get business, but I doubt repeat business. Won't be back and would definitely NOT recommend to anyone.
- 3LadiesWalkingDined on 11/10/2014Booked a table for a post-theatre supper at 5.45. We turned up half an hour early but they happily accommodated us and served us swiftly with friendly courteous and efficient service. The menu had plenty of choice and was well-priced. In particular the Seafood Pasta was excellent! It's ideally placed for the Usher Hall, theatres and other city centre venues. The restaurant was busy but the staff were attentive so there was a great atmosphere. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PsychatlargeDined on 10/10/2014Coming in from the wilds of the Border we needed somewhere to eat before enjoying a musical feast. Zucca is well place and clearly has lots of repeat custom but it should not rest on its laurels and assume that people will always come back no matter what the quality. In general though it can be relied upon.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerluvItalianDined on 4/10/2014We were 4 at table; the food was excellent and we had a hard time selecting from the nicley balanced menu. My daughter's birthday was recognised, at my request, with a candle on her dessert and we all sang 'Happy Birthday', joined by the other diners. Her face was a picture as she made her wish and blew out the candle! The waitress was busy but answered all our requests, and dealt gracefully with accidents such as a dropped fork and an upset dish of parmeggiano. The food itself was so delicious and beautifully cooked that we want to return and try other things on the menu! We will be back - and that's a promise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JarvisDined on 3/10/2014The dining experience is always reliably good at Zucca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre good valueswanDined on 1/10/2014Once again Zucca provided good speedy service for pre theatre dinner. Good value and a great choice.Special Features:
- BarbarDined on 16/9/2014Attached to theatre and can be busy or quiet when no events on in area. Good quality Italian food with excellent service.Special Features:
- Ideal pre-theatredirewolfVIPDined on 27/8/2014Zucca is always reliable: good, fresh food, excellent friendly service, and great value. Given its location it is the best local pre-theatre venue.Special Features:
- Professional servicehelenlydonDined on 23/8/2014Waiters/Waitresses were so professional one was hardly aware they were there. Food good, atmosphere good & excellent value.Special Features:
- Good Food Bill given a tad to EarlyCarlosDined on 23/8/2014Really good food, great fun waitress service and presentation as fantastic. When we booked no mention was made of time limit so it was a surprise when the bill was handed to us before we asked for it and with no option of coffee. Given we'd only been there an hour and half of an evening booking this was a little off-putting. I'd still go back but next time I'd ask for a coffee if it happened againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal pre theatre or concertjothestreloverDined on 19/8/2014Worked well for us pre concert at the usher hall, tasty and great serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Zucca for Festival succourFestivalfoodieDined on 15/8/2014Nice location (next to Royal Lyceum Theatre). Small restaurant on two levels, friendly atmosphere and helpful, attentive staff. Menu includes local produce. My hake - first in years - was well cooked and tasty. My friend's chocolate torte looked delicious. The wine - mostly Merlot - was excellent, so we had two bottles! Definitely an oasis of calm and good taste in the tumultuous crowds of the Festival!Special Features:
- JacarandaDined on 15/8/2014We always enjoy Zucca for pre-theatre dinners. The service is fast and very friendly and the food is pretty good for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD MEAL BUT..OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 15/8/2014we enjoyed a good two courses choice from pre-theatre menu @£14.95and a bottle wine @ £18. Table service was slick but bill payingcheck out was very slow so we had to rush to the concert!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect pre-theatredirewolfVIPDined on 13/8/2014Zucca is excellently placed for both the Lyceum and the Usher Hall. They know that you need to get there in time for the show, and service is extremely efficient. Food this time was not quite as outstanding as on previous occasions, but perfectly good, and very reasonably priced. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good italian fayreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Highly suited to pre- or post-theatre or concert occasions; good but fairly unremarkable italian cuisine. Rather deficient in fish and vegetarian choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience.docpaulDined on 10/8/2014Superb pre-theatre meal with real Italian food and good wine. Efficient unobtrusive service which made me feel very welcome. I am returning without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problem!duncanDined on 9/8/2014One of us was extremely ill immediately after this meal, although we enjoyed it at the time. His main course was lasagne, I had something elseduncan. I also felt a bit uncomfortable after; we both had olives.
- Excellent as alwaystomnevDined on 8/8/2014The warm welcome and highly efficient service mean you can eat the very good food in a very relaxed manner, certain that you will get to the theatre on time. This is rapidly becoming one of our favourite restaurants in EdinburghSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre mealfestivalattenderDined on 8/8/2014Excellent prelude to Festival Opening Concert at Usher Hall.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/7/2014Our 51 year physio reunion dinner was excellent . The food was perfect , the staff attentive, and we felt very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor value - no atmosphere!alanDined on 19/7/2014We had a voucher for a two course meal. Just as well as the food was barely worth the discounted price. No atmosphere. Would not consider returning!
- God menu but cooking not up to itSandDined on 27/6/2014Had 3 courses for six. Menu wording made us expect good quality food & cooking. This was not the case. The scalops were very good and hake was well cooked, but everything else was no more than OK. Chicken was not good, sweet potatoes missing, bread was chewly and elastic (too long in microwave ?) do you even call this bread? No salt on table. Lasagna OK, deserts tiramitsu OK , chocolate torte with coulis & rasberries - not great quality chocolate, dot of coulis, no rabs! White choc creme brule, OK no more. Bill ended up being much more than expected, a lot of + in menu : over 30 per pers, no winw. All together, Either pay a bit more for choice & quality, or choose a restaurent with simpler menu but that delivers the qualitySpecial Features:
- lunchpatriciaDined on 26/6/2014our visit to the restaurant was overall very good including the service and ambiance as good and the food was excellant. The only disappointant was because it was quiet the waitres was too eager by coming to our take orders before we were ready, and also as a result of it being quiet the ambience was not as good as usual.Special Features:
- Kazza67Dined on 21/6/2014Went to zucca after my graduation . There were 5 of us including a 10 year old child. Everyone's meal was lovely .we didn't have one complaint and at 17.95 for 3 courses it was great value for money for a city restaurantSpecial Features:
- lunchpatriciaDined on 11/6/2014my friend enjoyed the ambiance , food and service which were excellant andwold recommend to prospective diners.Special Features:
- Lunch for 5 in Zucca.ww4lunchDined on 11/6/2014Had lunch with a group of friends. Very friendly welcome into the restaurant followed by excellent service throughout our visit. Food was very well presented, very tasty and much appreciated by the group. We enjoyed the ambience of the restaurant and felt relaxed and comfortable during our stay. We will certainly concider returning to ZUCCA and will certainly recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Well-placed, swift and courteousv61jyDined on 7/6/2014Very swift and courteous service and very good food, with imaginative vegetarian options. Ambience relaxing-low/no background music so conversation possible. Well situated for Usher Hall, Lyceum and other venues close by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre -concert dinner at ZuccaenjoyfoodDined on 30/5/2014Excellent meal at Zuccas. Fixed menu is very good value and served by friendly and efficient staff.Special Features:
- First time.....KayjayDined on 27/5/2014Had pre concert dinner before going to the Usher Hall for the Paulo Nutini gig. Food was good value for money. Surprised that they had run out of Pinot Grigio but had a nice Gavi di Gavi instead. Warm welcome and good service. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tomnevDined on 24/5/2014very good food, and excellent service totally geared to ensuring we were served quickly pre theatre. The door straight through from the restaurant toSpecial Features:
- very helpful waitresses/waitersKittyDined on 17/5/2014The staff and food of this Italian were very good, dinner for two. The food was served really hot which we like, the red wine at room temperature and the staff were really nice without being intrusive. relaxed atmosphere.
- disappointedmacsandyDined on 17/5/2014We had dinner from the pre theater menu. The starters were good, but the mains were not great. When we ordered desserts, we were told there was no more creme brulee, but as we were leaving, we heard someone order the creme brulee and saw some in the pastry case. My impression is that an excellent "food stylist" created a menu that was prepared by a second rate kitchen.
- Excellent pre-theatreGailDined on 17/5/2014Convenient for the theatre and a really nice meal too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrizzlepussDined on 16/5/2014Always an imaginative and changing menu on each visit. Well presented and a wonderful adventure to the taste buds. The fish dishes are recommended for either starter and/or main dish. To complete, an excellent choice of deserts. Great value for money from a very friendly team.Special Features: