Really poor meal not cooked well service to long terrible
Not sure if it was the fault of The Harrow but I used this link to book a table for two on Saturday 21st January for a birthday meal. I received a confirmation from this link the day before to remind me of my reservation. I turned up on Saturday to find there had been some Gas Works in the vicinity and the bar was open with cold food only. I am a little shocked that no one had warned me as I turned up with my husband for a surprise birthday lunch.
I haven't been to the Harrow in over a year (when service was very bad). It is under new management now and me and my family were very impressed. It was excellent friendly service from our waitress Natasha, and they were very accommodating with our young children. The food was really tasty and great value. A few of us had the roast which was of a great standard and I had the rump steak which was amazing. We will definitely returning soon.
After two enjoyable visits this one was a let down. A loud fire alarm kept going off at intervals. The lighting at our table was terrible, my two companions couldn't read the menu. One of my friends returned their meal, it was inedible. The waitress tried hard to make up for the disappointment but it was impossible. I'd hoped to introduce my friends to an excellent eating place instead it was an embarrassment. At least the returned meal was taken off the bill.
Chicken was dry and overcooked. Roast pork was so obviously gammon. Waiter fobbed us off when we mentioned this with no concern at all!
Have been to this establishment many times, however this visit very disappointing, had problem with 2 mains meals, OK problem was solved but 2 of the party of 4 had finished their lunch a long time before the other 2 diners were finished.