The Salvation of Leith is located at 58 Shore. It once housed The Association For The Improvement Of The Condition Of The Poor in Leith from 1872 - 1953.
It was a "Ragged School" for destitute children as well as a nursery for the disadvantaged, a soup kitchen, a clothing exchange and a boarding house.
The building was also used as a "House of Call" where Shore dockers and labourers were paid their wages away from the allure of alcohol or "other temptations".
For a long period the Association employed only Leithers or local Journeymen and it would offer charity and assistance to the needy from anywhere in the world - except Edinburgh.
To this day we remain a house of salvation, albeit a different kind - a neighbourhood bar and grill to gather away from the daily grind over great food and drink.